Makes you want to cry.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
To see these images makes one think about life...

Can we live together?

It saddnes me deeply to see images like this

Iraqi, American, British, any human being.

We are all human and I hope we can strive to live in peace together.

Fellowship Link

(All right people. Have we not learned that posting bloody pictures inline is verboten!? How complicated is this!? - groverat)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

Can we live together?

Fellowship Link

(All right people. Have we not learned that posting bloody pictures inline is verboten!? How complicated is this!? - groverat)

You honestly should have thought of that before throwing your support behind this war. Join the anti-war movement with us.
  • Reply 2 of 46
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

Can we live together?

Fellowship Link

Two hands on a shovel do more than a thousand clasped in prayer. Let's actually do something to rebuild after. Hell, how about we do something for our communities now.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    I know. Let's support them by buying lots of Iraqi exports after the sanctions are ended. Like say, Iraqi Fossil Fuels. I feel better already.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    Ops. Doesn´t look good. From the article:

Quote:

One group of Iraqi boys on the side of the road smiled and waved as a convoy of British tanks and trucks rolled by.

But once it had passed, leaving a trail of dust and grit in its wake, their smiles turned to scowls.

"We don't want them here," said 17-year-old Fouad, looking angrily up at the plumes of gray smoke rising from Basra.

He pulled a piece of paper from the waistband of his trousers. Unfolding it, he held up a picture of Saddam, showing the Iraqi leader sitting on a throne with a benign smile.

"Saddam is our leader," he said defiantly. "Saddam is good.

Put the pictures of cheering iraqis in perspective.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Imagine how borderline terrorists feel on seeing these images.

How dare our leaders tell us this is going to make us safer?
  • Reply 6 of 46
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

Imagine how borderline terrorists feel on seeing these images.

Yes! We should surrender to the terrorist and abandon UN resolutions!
  • Reply 7 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Yes! We should surrender to the terrorist and abandon UN resolutions!

Scott, that is a non-sequitur.

We're told it will reduce terrorism. And in the next breath we're given travel advice to avoid five more countries. Go figure.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:

Scott, that is a non-sequitur.

We're told it will reduce terrorism. And in the next breath we're given travel advice to avoid five more countries. Go figure.

Shut up Harald.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    Hit a nerve did I?

I've actually treated you with respect in this thread. And now when I make a serious point you act like a kid and try and deny me a voice.

Shame. Fairly typical, but shame. And I won't shut up while your moron of a president does things which makes the world more dangerous.

Or is there another reason why we go to war one day and then get travel advisories the next? War on terror working is it?
  • Reply 10 of 46
    finboyfinboy Posts: 383member
    Quote:

They tell us this because it's true. Regardless of the future threat, the immediate threat was pretty large. At least those future terrorists will have a much harder time getting financial support and VX gas.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by finboy

They tell us this because it's true. Regardless of the future threat, the immediate threat was pretty large. At least those future terrorists will have a much harder time getting financial support and VX gas.

It's staggering you believe that. Your first port of call for this sort of stuff was markets in Pakistan and Afghanistan where you could pick up loads of ex-USSR goodies any day of the week. VX gas agents have a limited lifespan too, did you know that?

Finboy, do you believe that the amount of terrorists will go up or down after this adventure? Simple question. They believe this will end terrorism. You don't have to be genius to see what's happening on the streets of the Arab countries. You do get these reports in the US right?
  • Reply 12 of 46
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Two hands on a shovel do more than a thousand clasped in prayer. Let's actually do something to rebuild after. Hell, how about we do something for our communities now.

I am all in favor of shovels and hard work, but do not belittle prayer. There are many of us who believe that prayer is powerful. Please show us some consideration.

Further, although I disagree with Fellowship's opinions on most topics - including the need for the war under the present conditions - I think that the response to his original post in this thread have been off-topic and, frankly, disrespectful.

Whatever your opinions on the war, let us all pause to remember those who have lost their lives and those who are putting their lives on the line. I pray for the US and UK servicemen and their families. I pray for the Iraqi soldiers. I pray for the civilians.

And those of us who are against the war would nevertheless do well to also reflect on the many, many Iraqis who have lost their lives under Saddam's regime. Whatever your opinion on the war, Saddam's regime is not defensible.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

I am all in favor of shovels and hard work, but do not belittle prayer. There are many of us who believe that prayer is powerful. Please show us some consideration.

Hah! You are entitled to your opinion but the fact is no amount of prayer is going to do a god damn thing other than make said people doing the praying feel better. No amount of prayer is going to rebuild the infrastructure of Iraq. No amount of prayer is going to topple oppressive regimes such as those in Cambodia and Burma. No amount of prayer is going to change the living conditions of the next generation of terrorists. While you're sitting on your ass all day praying, I'll be out doing something for the community. Let's see which is more productive.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Hah! You are entitled to your opinion but the fact is no amount of prayer is going to do a god damn thing other than make said people doing the praying feel better. No amount of prayer is going to rebuild the infrastructure of Iraq. No amount of prayer is going to topple oppressive regimes such as those in Cambodia and Burma. No amount of prayer is going to change the living conditions of the next generation of terrorists. While you're sitting on your ass all day praying, I'll be out doing something for the community. Let's see which is more productive.

Your sarcasm does not show much respect and consideration for my faith. I think that I deserve better than that.

In any case, I believe that the biggest barrier to taking action in this world is the lack of inspiration of those who could do it. Prayer can lead to that (and more).
  • Reply 15 of 46
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    Quote:

In any case, I believe that the biggest barrier to taking action in this world is the lack of inspiration of those who could do it. Prayer can lead to that (and more).

Although I'm not religious myself, for many people I think that's very true, and in some ways I wonder whether it actually contributes to the current conflict. In Saddam's speech shown on televison this morning, he seemed to imply God was on the side of the Iraqis. I believe Bush also has religious beliefs and to some extent thinks his actions are justified in a religious context. Presumably one of them is wrong, and many soldiers will continue fighting (and dying) based on false religious beliefs. I'm sure many Iraqis draw their strength and inspiration from prayer, and this will lead to many taking the action of fighting for their beliefs, killing American soldiers in the process.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    Quote:

Your sarcasm does not show much respect and consideration for my faith. I think that I deserve better than that.

First, what sarcasm? Second, you have no right to not be offended. Why should your beliefs trump mine? Why does your faith deserve respect and consideration from me? I acknowledge that you believe what you believe and I cannot stop you from doing so. That is the extent of my duty to your faith. Period.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

You honestly should have thought of that before throwing your support behind this war. Join the anti-war movement with us.

why anti-war?

i think the terrorist link to iraq is weak but i am MORE then glad to get rid of a crazy dictatorship. I honestly think that this war will in the long-run create a scenerio with less deaths then if iraq were to go on. There are some sick things that go on inside iraq and many...if not most of the people are happy to be liberated. I am saying this from what i see alot of places, not just all the US propaganda...which i'm sure is less then iraq but news is still favored to the US.

You are quick to protest the war against iraq...think about if u were in iraq and went to war, do you think you could protest no, you'd probably be killed, you are lucky to have the 1st, and the right to exercise it...we want iraqi's to have that same chance
  • Reply 18 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

why anti-war?

i think the terrorist link to iraq is weak but i am MORE then glad to get rid of a crazy dictatorship. I honestly think that this war will in the long-run create a scenerio with less deaths then if iraq were to go on. There are some sick things that go on inside iraq and many...if not most of the people are happy to be liberated. I am saying this from what i see alot of places, not just all the US propaganda...which i'm sure is less then iraq but news is still favored to the US.

You are quick to protest the war against iraq...think about if u were in iraq and went to war, do you think you could protest no, you'd probably be killed, you are lucky to have the 1st, and the right to exercise it...we want iraqi's to have that same chance

Unless this is the beginning of a campaign to oust horrible dictators all around the world, that argument doesn't fly.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Or is there another reason why we go to war one day and then get travel advisories the next? War on terror working is it?

It seems to me that the test will be whether terrorism decreases in the long run. Of course, in the short-term, during the war, security will decrease. I think what happens in the long run depends more on what we do after the war.

If we encourage democracy and stability and economic improvement in Iraq, then I think there will be less terrorism. In fact, the whole Middle East could change for the better - more democracy and stability will decrease the reasons for terrorism. If we screw them, if it stays an occupation rather than a liberation, if the oil money goes to Exxon rather than Iraq, then we would have been better off keeping Saddam Hussein in power, at least in terms of US security.

Of course, the bin Ladens of this world say they attack the West because of American troop presence on Arab soil, so in that sense we're certainly giving him more reasons to attack us. But 1) he'll have less volunteers and less support in an economically stable and more democratic Middle East, and 2) should we really do what he wants just because he's threatening terrorism?
  • Reply 20 of 46
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

There are many of us who believe that prayer is powerful. Please show us some consideration.

heh, if you're looking for respect and consideration for your opinions, perhaps an internet message board is not the place for you.