'iPhone 11,' 'iPhone 11 Pro,' and 'iPhone 11 Pro Max' coming in fall, says sketchy report

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2019
Data from a budget iPhone enclosure manufacturer reportedly shows both the name and dimensions of the upcoming iPhones, set to release at Apple's September event.

Image Credit: iPhonesoft.fr

The spreadsheets show multiple products that are to fit the yet to be released iPhones, which the company is calling the "iPhone 11," "iPhone 11 Pro," and "iPhone 11 Pro Max." Accessories shown include cases, camera lens protectors, and screen protectors.

Other leaks have recently referred to the upcoming iPhone line with similar language.

At the top of one of the spreadsheets, discovered by the French website iPhoneSoft, is a short dimension list, listing the size of each iPhone. The "iPhone 11" is said to be 6.1 inches, the "iPhone 11 Pro" comes in at 5.8 inches, and the "iPhone 11 Pro Max" at 6.5 inches.

The current line of iPhones boast the same dimensions, with the iPhone XR at 6.1 inches, the iPhone XS at 5.8 inches, and the iPhone XS Max at 6.5 inches.

The cases show backs that fall in line with other leaks, specifically the large cutout for the anticipated triple lens camera.

In nearly every similar situation, iPhone accessory manufacturers do not know what Apple is going to call a product prior to launch, nor are they given specifics about product features or dimensions. The document may simply be what ESR has chosen to call the anticipated lineup internally, or they may be using language reflected in recent leaks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    RTMRTM Posts: 6member
    I'm confused by the usage of "sketchy" in the title here. The entire post here basically says that this data matches every other leaked bit of data, and then the post ends with the fact that the company may simply be using their own lingo. Why is it somehow sketchy?
    chemengin1
  • Reply 2 of 21
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    IMO, 'Pro Max' is a bit OTT. I think iPhone 11 (instead of Roman numerals) looks 'cleaner', though.
    canukstormAirunJae
  • Reply 3 of 21
    RTMRTM Posts: 6member
    Wait, you actually deleted my comment because I asked why you titled it sketchy? C'mon, really? I read this site daily, just because I don't comment every time doesn't mean my comments are less valuable. I even use your B&H links for my last Mac purchase.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    I can see why pro is used for a computer or maybe an iPad – but what exactly is a ‘Pro iPhone’ user?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    RTM said:
    Wait, you actually deleted my comment because I asked why you titled it sketchy? C'mon, really? I read this site daily, just because I don't comment every time doesn't mean my comments are less valuable. I even use your B&H links for my last Mac purchase.
    ? There are no deleted comments for this thread.

Anyway, as to why it's sketchy, there is no confirmation on this at all, and case manufacturers aren't clued in on things. Stories are already popping up on other less tech-oriented venues saying that this is confirmation and proof.

Just because something is based on the previous reports (like we said in the story), doesn't make it accurate, or a new source of data.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 21
     And by the way, for the first time I find the back of an iPhone to be truly ugly.
    chemengin1bigtdswilliamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 21
    macapfel said:
    I can see why pro is used for a computer or maybe an iPad – but what exactly is a ‘Pro iPhone’ user?
    One that may utulize pen hevily, high refresh screen, 3D camera scanning, pro pics and higher price of course. And who knows what else. My guesses. Naming seems reasonable as current is bit confusing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 21
    macapfel said:
     And by the way, for the first time I find the back of an iPhone to be truly ugly.
    I can not say I disagree but we will see how many knock of will be willing to mock new iPhone design. I guess black iPhone version and black cases will be popular. ;-)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 21
    macapfel said:
    It’s not the user that’s a pro, it’s the iPhone. It’s really just a model designation. Apple reserves “Pro” for the higher spec’ed models in the lineup.
    watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 10 of 21
    frantisek said:
    macapfel said:
    One that may utulize pen hevily, high refresh screen, 3D camera scanning, pro pics and higher price of course. And who knows what else. My guesses. Naming seems reasonable as current is bit confusing.
    It's simple marketing.  "Pro" in advertising mostly refers to a marketing concept and not actual professional equipment.  Look across multiple industries at products that have "Pro" in the name.  Mostly marketing that's designed to convey the idea that it's a more powerful version.  The description you've painted for a pro device is basically a Samsung Note.  It's no more a professional device than the new iPhone will be.   If it's true, Apple could be simply consolidating it's naming scheme for the sake of cohesiveness across lines.  
  • Reply 11 of 21
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    RTM said:
    Wait, you actually deleted my comment ...
    FWIW this has happened to me before. Thought my comment got deleted only to see a few minutes later it was in fact there. It's this dreadful forum software.

Anyway, as far as the marketing goes, my opinion is that "Pro" nomenclature for a phone is a bit silly. But whaddoiknow? 
    edited August 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 21
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    macapfel said:
    It’s not the user that’s a pro, it’s the iPhone. It’s really just a model designation. Apple reserves “Pro” for the higher spec’ed models in the lineup.
    Exactly ^ .. I think this is true across the product lines except for the iMac Pro and Mac Pro. These machines are truly pro spec and priced IMHO. 
    canukstormStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 21
    macapfel said:
    I have to agree.. I have been waiting on the camera set up to grow on me.. It has slightly..but uugghh not much. Waiting to see what the real finished product looks like and feels like in my hand before I make a final decision.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 14 of 21
    macapfel said:
    I have to agree.. I have been waiting on the camera set up to grow on me.. It has slightly..but uugghh not much. Waiting to see what the real finished product looks like and feels like in my hand before I make a final decision.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    jcs2305 said:
    macapfel said:
    Exactly ^ .. I think this is true across the product lines except for the iMac Pro and Mac Pro. These machines are truly pro spec and priced IMHO. 
    ...and the iPhone Pro MAX would obviously be an even better "Pro", a Maxed out (even higher spec) one.  So two Pro models and a base model. 
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 16 of 21
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    This seems to be in line with other rumours, just renames the models, R becomes regular, S becomes Pro.  Meh, I don't care what it's called.  
    williamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 21
    We are approaching the number of product variations for the iPhone of Windows Vista (it had 7)   :)
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 18 of 21
    The iPhone numbering is getting a little ungainly. I hope they just move to iPhone and iPhone Pro soon with no numbers. My guess is that they do this if the subscription model gets traction and users have a lighter/no decision regarding device replacement.
    canukstorm
  • Reply 19 of 21
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    iPhone 11 Pro Max? Only Phil Schiller could come up with a silly name like that.
    bigtdscornchipwilliamlondon
  • Reply 20 of 21
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Imo, the name change would make sense only if it coincides with the XR going OLED. Because then it's like, this is the regular iPhone 11, not a downgrade model, and the Pro has extra features like a camera, rather than the XR with its cut rate screen. 

Since the XR 2/iPhone 11 was rumored to have the same screen this year, this name change should be coming with the 2020 iPhones instead , imho.