There is a new 'leak' listing 'iPhone 11' features, but be wary

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2019
As we draw closer to the unveiling of a new iPhone lineup, there is a fresh batch of rumors allegedly sourced from former Foxconn workers -- but be careful about what you believe.

An early render of the triple camera setup of the 2019 iPhones, via OnLeaks and CashKaro
An early render of the triple camera setup of the 2019 iPhones, via OnLeaks and CashKaro

The post to /r/iPhone on Reddit, published on Tuesday, is claimed to be a leak from a user from a Chinese forum, who "used to be a member of Foxconn but quit recently." There is no detail as to where they worked, nor a link to the original forum post the information was allegedly taken from.

The data is split up into 22 different points, with all but three supposedly relating to the upcoming 2019 iPhones. The other three items claim the "new 10.2-inch iPad" will be released soon to replace the current 2018 9.7-inch iPad, while the iPad Pro "should be later," and there being "no updates" to the SE line.

Due to a lack of evidence or anything to directly confirm any of the listings in the Reddit post, it is impossible to say whether any of the information is true, and to not take the post as completely factual. As poster u/SunnyH3re advises "Always, take a grain of salt."

The Guessable

The list includes a number of elements that have been previously reported or predicted by analysts, or rely on details from earlier iPhone releases. For example, the heavily-reported triple camera setup on the back of the iPhone is declared as "real" in the list, with the camera bump using the same material as the rear shell.

The claim of using a "double-layer motherboard" isn't outlandish, as the iPhone X and current-generation models use the sandwich technique to maximize the use of the internal storage area.

Belief the 2019 models are otherwise a refresh on the 2018 iPhones also makes claims such as the lack of an in-screen fingerprint scanner for Touch ID, the reuse of TrueDepth camera parts from the iPhone XS generation, and there being "no change in the front panel" seem to be relatively safe guesses.

The offering of 64, 256, and 512GB storage options, the ".5v1a charger remains the same," and the use of Lightning instead of USB Type-C are also similarly educated guesses.

The loss of 3D Touch from earlier reports also resurfaces in the list, with it apparently resulting in "less screen thickness" in the new models. There is also a mention of the Taptic Engine remaining the same size, echoing earlier claims of changes to the haptic feedback system, but it "remains uncertain" whether changes have been made to the inside.

Speculation

On the more specific side, the battery in the "Max" version is claimed to offer a capacity of 3,969mAh, a considerable jump up from the 3,174mAh used in the iPhone XS Max.

The colors for this year are claimed to be black, white, gold, and "new dark green," with the latter apparently being prepared for by factories in Guanlan and Longhua Ankang, and seeming similar to the dark green used by the Sony Z5. The back glass is also said to have a matte texture rather than a shiny version, though it is unclear if this will mean the back will offer more grip than in previous models.

Sticking with the back, the "iPhone" logo under the Apple logo is claimed to have been removed from the design. While iPhones are generally quite recognizable, the removal of the word "iPhone" seems like an odd decision, as that may be considered an erosion of the brand.

For the camera, it is said the back will still offer a 12-megapixel image, but will use a new sensor, as well as a "special coating in the circular rectangle area" that promises "better visual integrity." The triple-camera setup will also "work in coordination in an RGB mode," though the nature of that mode isn't offered by the poster.

Silly season is upon us

We are solidly in iPhone rumor "silly season" right now. Like a childhood game of Operator, original reports get muddled after multiple rounds of translation and reporting. What pops out the other end can be confusing, and is often wrong.

This is complicated by "new" reports of a feature, which can't be discerned from an older supply chain report from assorted sources. Is any given report "confirmation," or just a reiteration of the previous claims? Most of the time it is the latter, and some of it is blindingly obvious as coming that there is little danger of the prediction being wrong at some point in the future.

As a case in point, remember the "Foxconn Insider" saga from about three years ago. This group, which was vetted by Reddit moderators, claimed to have a lock on Apple's product plans for years.

Some of what they predicted did develop, like predictions of wireless charging in the iPhone. But, we'd charitably call what did come to pass vague handwaving like we did above in the "Guessable" section for this round.

And, in regards to this latest data, less tech-oriented publications are already accepting the information presented on Reddit on Wednesday as gospel, or revelatory. In reality, it is neither.

When Apple rolls out the phones in about a month, some of what has been said will be true, some of it won't. Regardless of what is and what isn't accurate, Apple will sell enough of them to buy a small country from the proceeds, and it still won't satisfy some on Wall Street.

And yes, we are keeping track of who gets the most right.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    3,969mAh is a huge battery for Apple...

Source:
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/9705387/samsung-iphone-battery-size-new-phone/
    Here's how popular phones stack up in terms of battery capacity...
    • iPhone 8 – 1,821mAh
    • Google Pixel 2 – 2,700mAh
    • iPhone X – 2,716mAh
    • Samsung Galaxy S9 – 3,000mAh
    • LG G7 ThinQ – 3,000mAh
    • HTC U11 – 3,000mAh
    • Motorola Moto G6 – 3,000mAh
    • Sony Xperia XZ2 – 3,180mAh
    • OnePlus 6 – 3,300mAh
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 8 – 3,300mAh
    • Asus ZenFone 5 – 3,300mAh
    • Google Pixel 2 XL – 3,520mAh
    • iPhone XS – 2,658mAhb
    Samsung is rumored to put a 6000mAh in the future Galaxy/Note.
    FYI: MacBook Air 11 (2013) was 5100mAh

Looks like Apple is trying to play catch-up with battery phone sizes.  I’ve heard some criticism that Apple’s batteries aren’t lasting as long as Apple claims.  Historically Apple’s batteries have been undersized vs the competition, but they made up for it with OS optimization. 
    edited August 2019 gutengelFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 2 of 18
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    Gotta wonder what the point is of publishing rumors so sketchy that they require a cautionary disclaimer in the headline. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    seem to be relatively outlandish and safe guesses”  :/ huh?

Interesting that Apple intends to revert to decimal model numbers. Perhaps they were sick of people calling their phones “excess”.
  • Reply 4 of 18

Source:
    • iPhone 8 – 1,821mAh
    • iPhone X – 2,716mAh
    • LG G7 ThinQ – 3,000mAh
    • HTC U11 – 3,000mAh
    • OnePlus 6 – 3,300mAh
    • iPhone XS – 2,658mAhb

Looks like Apple is trying to play catch-up with battery phone sizes.  I’ve heard some criticism that Apple’s batteries aren’t lasting as long as Apple claims.  Historically Apple’s batteries have been undersized vs the competition, but they made up for it with OS optimization. 

I agree that’s a massive battery and quite unlike Apple but I hope it’s true. I get the OS is more efficient but I think that difference is slipping a bit. Apple has slowly been opening up their OS to more multitasking, etc while in reverse Android is being pulled back from the anything goes land it used to be.

No doubt it’s still more efficient but with a battery matching or maybe exceeding top of the line Androids they could well and truly beat them. When they don’t have 5G this year or any major selling points, knock it out the park battery life might be the way to shift a good amount of phones.

Clearly they are going to save some space from removing 3D Touch but find it hard to believe that alone gives them room to go up that high on the battery. It sounds like otherwise the internals are pretty much the same so you’d have to think a wee extra bit of thickness as well?

I don’t believe this size battery of course but here’s to hoping.
    edited August 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    flydog said:
    Gotta wonder what the point is of publishing rumors so sketchy that they require a cautionary disclaimer in the headline. 
    This is addressed in the piece:

FTA: "And, in regards to this latest data, less tech-oriented publications are already accepting the information presented on Reddit on Wednesday as gospel, or revelatory. In reality, it is neither."
    seanismorrislolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    3,969mAh otherwise known as 4Ah.
    It’s like referring to a meter as 1,000mm
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 18
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    I for one have anticipated the removal of 3D Touch and the addition of a 3900mah battery plus the 3 camera sensors since 2019 started. Too much smoke not to be true, this is typical every year. Although, occasionally the recurrent rumors are off base. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 18
    TheOneUK said:

Source:
    • iPhone 8 – 1,821mAh
    • iPhone X – 2,716mAh
    • LG G7 ThinQ – 3,000mAh
    • HTC U11 – 3,000mAh
    • OnePlus 6 – 3,300mAh
    • iPhone XS – 2,658mAhb

I agree that’s a massive battery and quite unlike Apple but I hope it’s true. I get the OS is more efficient but I think that difference is slipping a bit. Apple has slowly been opening up their OS to more multitasking, etc while in reverse Android is being pulled back from the anything goes land it used to be.

No doubt it’s still more efficient but with a battery matching or maybe exceeding top of the line Androids they could well and truly beat them. When they don’t have 5G this year or any major selling points, knock it out the park battery life might be the way to shift a good amount of phones.

Clearly they are going to save some space from removing 3D Touch but find it hard to believe that alone gives them room to go up that high on the battery. It sounds like otherwise the internals are pretty much the same so you’d have to think a wee extra bit of thickness as well?

My understanding is we’re only talking about the max model, so I consider the battery size increase credible.  The battery is certainly huge, but you’re spot on regarding the removal of 3D Touch.  

If Apple is going to have the max model truly premium and not just larger, a bigger battery was needed.  My understanding is that it’s just not screen size, more memory means higher battery usage.

I remember reading that there was 6GB in a limited ed. Max.  Finding the ram specs is unusually difficult.  I wouldn’t be surprised if 6GB is standard for the next max.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 18
    hentaiboy said:
    “seem to be relatively outlandish and safe guesses”  :/ huh?

Interesting that Apple intends to revert to decimal model numbers. Perhaps they were sick of people calling their phones “excess”.
    You actually expected XI, XII, XIII and XIV instead of 11, 12, 13 and 14? 
    steveauwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    TheOneUK said:

Source:
    • iPhone 8 – 1,821mAh
    • iPhone X – 2,716mAh
    • LG G7 ThinQ – 3,000mAh
    • HTC U11 – 3,000mAh
    • OnePlus 6 – 3,300mAh
    • iPhone XS – 2,658mAhb

My understanding is we’re only talking about the max model, so I consider the battery size increase credible.  The battery is certainly huge, but you’re spot on regarding the removal of 3D Touch.  

If Apple is going to have the max model truly premium and not just larger, a bigger battery was needed.  My understanding is that it’s just not screen size, more memory means higher battery usage.

I remember reading that there was 6GB in a limited ed. Max.  Finding the ram specs is unusually difficult.  I wouldn’t be surprised if 6GB is standard for the next max.
    Yeah I understand the normal iPhone Pro if that's what they call it won't have a battery that big but removing 3D Touch should also mean it's possible to increase the battery in that one as well. If they stay like this year the only difference is the size of the screen and battery from the physical size.

Not sure on the RAM, your right it uses more juice which is one of the ways I think Apple's managed vs Android with smaller batteries. I'd like it and can see the phone kills tasks too soon still for my liking but I don't see them doing it this year.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member

Source:
    • iPhone 8 – 1,821mAh
    • iPhone X – 2,716mAh
    • LG G7 ThinQ – 3,000mAh
    • HTC U11 – 3,000mAh
    • OnePlus 6 – 3,300mAh
    • iPhone XS – 2,658mAhb

That's one way to view it. Another is, historically iOS has been much better optimized and power efficient, resulting in a decreased need for bigger battery component size, since battery life is good. I have long ago had to worry about it being an issue before nightly recharge at bedtime. 

So you say it's "catch up", I say it's not been necessary. 
    edited August 2019 lolliverRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member

flydog said:
    At least it's clearly marked as so. My least favorite headlines are the ones that declare a rumor or claim as fact in the headline, without qualifying it with "Report: Apple is yada yada..."
    lolliverRayz2016
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Be wary of what? A phone you can't purchase yet? It doesn't matter what features you 'believe' the phone will have - only what is released. Until then, it's irrelevant. Speculation might be fun, but that's all it is, since you can't buy it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 18
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member

Source:
    • iPhone 8 – 1,821mAh
    • iPhone X – 2,716mAh
    • LG G7 ThinQ – 3,000mAh
    • HTC U11 – 3,000mAh
    • OnePlus 6 – 3,300mAh
    • iPhone XS – 2,658mAhb

Why go through the trouble of listing all these phones in comparison, and not include the phone that was mentioned to be getting the larger battery?

On the more specific side, the battery in the "Max" version is claimed to offer a capacity of 3,969mAh, a considerable jump up from the 3,174mAh used in the iPhone XS Max.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 18
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member

Source:
    • iPhone 8 – 1,821mAh
    • iPhone X – 2,716mAh
    • LG G7 ThinQ – 3,000mAh
    • HTC U11 – 3,000mAh
    • OnePlus 6 – 3,300mAh
    • iPhone XS – 2,658mAhb

Apple batteries are just OK. What really bothers me, is that since Apple starting doing battery health, they banned 3rd party apps from scanning the battery. When I swapped my battery for my iPhone 6 (while the discount was still available) a 3rd party app said my battery was a 30% capacity, which was definitely true. When I took it to the Apple Story their test said the battery was at 80% capacity and the genius asked me if I really wanted to swap the battery. Doing the whole test and singing up at the store took about 25 mins, in that period my iPhone went from 100% to 15%. I showed the genius and told her that their test is really trashy. Now I have the iPhoneX since launched and for last year the Battery Health say "91%" which I know is complete bullshit because the battery is showing its age. I love Apple products, but crap like this really makes me wonder why they have to be so shady about certain things...
  • Reply 16 of 18
    seankill said:
    I for one have anticipated the removal of 3D Touch and the addition of a 3900mah battery plus the 3 camera sensors since 2019 started. Too much smoke not to be true, this is typical every year. Although, occasionally the recurrent rumors are off base. 
    Because where there's smoke, there's somebody claiming they didn't inhale. :wink: 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 18

3,969mAh otherwise known as 4Ah.
    It’s like referring to a meter as 1,000mm
    Yeah. It's weird how people focus on comparing the number and not the measurement unit, isn't it? :wink: 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 18
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    Still running with the 11 thing I see. 
    watto_cobra