How to pay your Apple Card bill

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
It's not the best part of owning a credit card, but since we have to pay them off, Apple has made the process remarkably fast and easy for Apple Card payments.

No hunting online for statements, Apple Card shows you both your balance and your payment date right there in your face.
No hunting online for statements, Apple Card shows you both your balance and your payment date right there in your face.

Give Apple some credit, so to speak. Where most firms seem to disguise the best ways to pay off their credit cards, Apple has been upfront with how to do it. And specifically about how you can do it so that you pay no interest.

The rules are the same as for any other card, but Apple has made the method particularly clear. In doing so, it has created a system that encourages you to avoid paying fees or charges.

You can check your outstanding balance at any moment, you can make a one-off payment, or you can schedule a payment to happen later. It's all done via the Wallet app.

Know where you stand

Check your balance. If you open Wallet on your iPhone and tap on Apple Card, you'll get a button marked Pay.

As soon as you tap that, you're taken to a Choose Amount screen that shows your balance both as a text figure across the center of the screen, and as a large circle graphic around that.

Within the circle, you'll get text telling you the total balance at the top, and then what interest you'll be paying at the bottom.

There's a very clear line saying when payments are due, always the end of the current month, and beneath the circle there is advice. That advice changes depending on how you tap and hold on the circle and drag its slider around.

If you have it slid all the way to its full extent, meaning you're paying off the entire card, then the circle is green, there is no interest charge, and you can tap the Pay Now button.

Or rather, there's no interest charge if you pay the entire amount before it's due. The billing cycle ends at 23:55:59 on the last day of the month, but don't push it.

If you can't pay off the whole amount by a day or so before the end of the month, you can instead slide counterclockwise and eventually the circle will turn red. It does that at your minimum repayment amount, whatever that is. So you can quickly see both what you owe in total and also what you have to pay or else.

Pay later

The benefit of doing a one-off payment to Apple Card like this is that it probably could not be easier, probably could not be faster, and it surely could not be simpler.

However, the problem with is that it depends on you doing this. You do get notifications reminding you, but still, if you keep putting it off, there will come a day when you haven't paid the card in time.

Apple won't then charge you any late fees, as some cards would, but the amount stays on the card and you pay interest on it.

To avoid this, you can do one of two things.

First, if you're putting it off because you haven't got the money to pay today, schedule the payment for when you'll have been paid. You can do that as a schedule one-time payment, meaning you tell it now to pay, while you've thought of it, but it won't happen until the day you know you'll have the funds.

Open the Wallet app, tap Apple Card, tap Pay, slide the circle or wheel around to how much you want to pay, and then tap Pay Later.

Then you're prompted to enter a date and that's it, you're done.

When you make a one-off payment, you have the option to pay from your Daily Cash account or your bank.
When you make a one-off payment, you have the option to pay from your Daily Cash account or your bank.

There is an odd limitation on this. Where you can make a regular one-off payment using either your bank or a set-up Apple Cash account, a schedule one-off can only be done via your bank account.

Pay regularly

If Apple fails to make us more financially astute, at least we should all take one lesson from Apple Card -- you need to pay credit cards off regularly. Preferably, you need to pay them off completely, and regularly.

With Apple Card, you can also just set up a recurring regular payment. In the Wallet, tap on Apple Card again, then the More button -- an icon of ellipses in a circle -- and then Scheduled Payments.

Tap Continue to confirm you want to do this, then set the amount. You can chose Pay My Bill, which will always pay off the entire amount outstanding, or Pay Different Amount. With that, you can set a specific dollar amount that you want to automatically and regularly pay toward your Apple Card bill.

Then you need to say if you want this to repeat every month, and then specifically what day of the month you want it to happen.

Instant customization

You can set up regular payments at any time, and they don't preclude you from making the occasional one-off payment either.

You can set up your card so that it's paid automatically from your bank account
You can set up your card so that it's paid automatically from your bank account

If you want to change the regular payment date or amount, you need to cancel the one you've set up and start again. However, cancelling the old regular payment is particularly easy. You tap on your payment as listed in the Wallet app then tap Cancel Payments. Confirm that you want to do this, and it's done.

Apple has thought of everything, and it has made everything far easier than the average credit card. Except for how if you lose your iPhone, you're not only cut off from all these simple financial tools, you you'll find it tricky to make payments at all.

At best, you'll have to use another iOS device -- so get a replacement phone fast or make sure you've got an iPad too. At worst, you'll have to call Apple Support on 1-800-275-2273.

Keep up with AppleInsider by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    No B.S that’s pretty novel...
    Looks like Apple has a winner here, even if the perks aren’t as good as some other credit cards.  FYI: In most cases, you’ll be using Apple Pay at retailers.

Reminder:  You can really use it anywhere MasterCard is accepted.
    Apple provides a virtual card number and virtual confirmation code (CVV) for the card in the app. You can use this for non-Apple Pay purchases online or over the phone. This number is semi-permanent, meaning that you can keep using it as long as you want.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/28/how-apple-card-works/
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 27
    "It's not the best part of owning a credit card, but since we have to pay them off..."

What an odd statement. It's kinda like saying, "it's not the best part of putting food on the table, but we have to pay for the groceries...."
  • Reply 3 of 27
    ssalbssalb Posts: 14member
    Received my Apple Card invite and was accepted this past Friday. As others have mentioned the whole process was very simple and it only took about two minutes to submit the request and get accepted. Received a decent credit limit. Today I wanted to setup my payment info. I had hoped this would be as simple, by just linking my payment to a debit card also stored in my wallet. After chatting with an Apple Card Rep, that is not possible at this time. You have to enter your Bank's routing and account number. Think Apple would have thought of that. I can understand not being able to pay the balance on the AppleCard with another credit card, but this is a debit card linked to my checking account.
    watto_cobraSoundJudgment
  • Reply 4 of 27
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    ssalb said:
    Received my Apple Card invite and was accepted this past Friday. As others have mentioned the whole process was very simple and it only took about two minutes to submit the request and get accepted. Received a decent credit limit. Today I wanted to setup my payment info. I had hoped this would be as simple, by just linking my payment to a debit card also stored in my wallet. After chatting with an Apple Card Rep, that is not possible at this time. You have to enter your Bank's routing and account number. Think Apple would have thought of that. I can understand not being able to pay the balance on the AppleCard with another credit card, but this is a debit card linked to my checking account.
    If you have an Apple Cash account linked to a bank already, it asks if you want to use that bank info. Very quick.
    rob53StrangeDayslostkiwiwatto_cobraSoundJudgment
  • Reply 5 of 27
    ssalb said:
    Why would you set up Apple Card with your debit card as the middle man... And, why would Apple allow it?

To answer my own question, debit cards have Rewards and Fees.

So, you’re trying to get rewards from both Apple Card and your debit card... clever!  But, not happening...
    edited August 2019 StrangeDayssandor
  • Reply 6 of 27
    jdb8167 said:
    ssalb said:
    If you have an Apple Cash account linked to a bank already, it asks if you want to use that bank info. Very quick.
    I don't ever remember using my bank debit card to pay my credit card invoices. I use my banks routing and account numbers and then click on "Pay Card" on my credit card issuer web portal after logging into my account. Takes two minutes tops. Comes out and no hassles. Like I said never heard of using a credit card to pay a credit card.
    I know that at certain services like cell phone, electric, cable or Fios you can use the debit card number to make your payments. Or a credit card to pay them. But not the credit card bill.
    watto_cobraSoundJudgment
  • Reply 7 of 27
    elector said:
    jdb8167 said:
    ssalb said:
    I don't ever remember using my bank debit card to pay my credit card invoices. I use my banks routing and account numbers and then click on "Pay Card" on my credit card issuer web portal after logging into my account. Takes two minutes tops. Comes out and no hassles. Like I said never heard of using a credit card to pay a credit card.
    I know that at certain services like cell phone, electric, cable or Fios you can use the debit card number to make your payments. Or a credit card to pay them. But not the credit card bill.
    You're correct.

The poster is either confused or trying to be clever...
    sandorelectorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 27
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member

There's a very clear line saying when payments are due, always the end of the current month
    So it appears that here's a very important difference between the Apple Card and other credit cards, and it's not one that everyone will like.

Using my main Visa card as an example, July's billing closed on July 26 and payment must be received by August 21. Effectively that's a 3 week grace period after the close of billing and before payment is due. Interest is not charged on the balance during this period as long as you make payment before the deadline.

With the Apple Card, payment is due immediately at the end of the current month. There's no penalty for late payment, but interest on the balance starts immediately after the month end. To avoid that you must make payment by close of business at the end of the month. This seems to be the trade-off for there being no late payment penalty.

Am I interpreting this correctly? 

I always pay off my full balance immediately by EFT. However the exact day I do this doesn't really matter, as long as it's within the 3 week grace period. This flexibility is useful when traveling, or if I simply haven't paid attention that it's the end of the month. With the Apple Card there's no grace period at all, so you really, really want to set up those automatic payments. 
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 9 of 27
    No, you’re not interpreting it correctly. 

Here’s how it will work for this month (August 2019):

The billing period will end on 8/31.  The next day, on 9/01, your August “statement” will be generated and you will know your statement balance. You’ll then have until the end of 9/30 to pay your August statement balance. So Apple Pay cardholders will always have at least 27 days to pay before they’ll start incurring interest charges on the previous month’s purchases (actually 28 days if you start counting at the last day of the billing period). 

So Apple Card will actually have the longest grace period in the industry. 

Read the Terms & Conditions to see for yourself (you can do this without having applied for the card). 
    prairiewalkerGeorgeBMacwatto_cobraSoundJudgment
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Thinking about this a bit more, the Goldman Sachs IT systems will have to work a whole lot harder than just about any other credit card company.

Most companies spread out their cardholders’ statement dates throughout the month, then take a few days to generate the statements. GS will have to do all the statements at the same time, and all of them in a single night!!  

That’s got to be a bear. I wouldn’t want to be in their ops center at month-end...
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 27
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    UniqueGuy said:
    No, you’re not interpreting it correctly. 

Here’s how it will work for this month (August 2019):

The billing period will end on 8/31.  The next day, on 9/01, your August “statement” will be generated and you will know your statement balance. You’ll then have until the end of 9/30 to pay your August statement balance. So Apple Pay cardholders will always have at least 27 days to pay before they’ll start incurring interest charges on the previous month’s purchases (actually 28 days if you start counting at the last day of the billing period). 

So Apple Card will actually have the longest grace period in the industry. 

Read the Terms & Conditions to see for yourself (you can do this without having applied for the card). 
    Thanks much for the explanation. I’ll be sure to read those Terms & Conditions — right after I’ve finished my EULA backlog. ;-)

Now that we know this, I’d suggest that the AI article could use some clarification regarding which month it’s referring to.
    seanismorrisGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 27
    sandorsandor Posts: 655member
    Other than Apple making things more simple in their ecosystem, i don't see much ground breaking. 

I have been making payments through Citi & Chase's apps for years. Touch-ID login, one button & pay. 
    And they tell me, first thing, balance, minimum due, due date, length of time to pay off if i only pay the minimum & the total amount i would pay.

Apple gets to skip the app part, because it is there phone.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    "It's not the best part of owning a credit card, but since we have to pay them off..."

What an odd statement. It's kinda like saying, "it's not the best part of putting food on the table, but we have to pay for the groceries...."
    Not odd at all. It's just an opening line stating what we all know and apparently, only most of us feel. It's kind of like saying 'We want to play; paying for it isn't the best part'. Hardly a credit card user has never thought 'Ugh. Bill time. If only I didn't have to pay...'

watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 27
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    I wonder if I can use my bank’s bill pay to pay off my Apple Card, just like I do with all my other bills. I’d rather not have a separate setup for this one bill. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 27
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Needing to link my bank accounts is one more "no go" for me (the other is the lack of interface with financial apps like Quicken).   I avoid linking my bank accounts as much as possible.

I wonder if a work around could be:   Use a debit card to load AppleCash then use Apple Cash to pay the Apple Card?
  • Reply 16 of 27
    bonobob said:
    I wonder if I can use my bank’s bill pay to pay off my Apple Card, just like I do with all my other bills. I’d rather not have a separate setup for this one bill. 
    Needing to link my bank accounts is one more "no go" for me (the other is the lack of interface with financial apps like Quicken).   I avoid linking my bank accounts as much as possible.

I wonder if a work around could be:   Use a debit card to load AppleCash then use Apple Cash to pay the Apple Card?
    I'm with you, I don't mind paying bills online, but I am rather nervous about passing out account and routing information.  Wish I had known that before I got the card.  
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Dieseljr said:
    bonobob said:

I'm with you, I don't mind paying bills online, but I am rather nervous about passing out account and routing information.  Wish I had known that before I got the card.  
    GeorgeBMac said:

Nope. I tried that, and got 'Payment Not Completed'.

So unless my bank's Bill Pay to the physical address posted elsewhere works, it looks like giving your routing info, etc., is required to pay your Apple Card. That sucks.

• Reply 18 of 27
    do I have the option of paying by check and mail versus onliine.  I really like a papertrail.

• Reply 19 of 27
    gprovida said:
    do I have the option of paying by check and mail versus onliine.  I really like a papertrail.

I'm not sure, at the moment. G-S hasn't offered it or any option to linking your bank. A physical address was posted in one or two of the Apple Card threads. I'm testing it to see if it works. The OP hasn't said if it does or not. If it does, a check or your bank's Bill Pay (if you use it) would work.  

My bank has acknowledged the payment was sent. But I won't know until around the Sept 10-12, if it works. My Apple Card should show a reduction about that time.
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 20 of 27
    The easiest way is to pay through the app. I clicked on the card face it said "pay early" the due date is September 30th. After you click on it the little scroll wheel shows the cause and effect on paying. If you need to there is a keyboard option which shows Min and In Full. The key board I assume is to type in any amount between the two.

When I selected Pay in Full it migrated to my bank information. I said Pay and it required me to double click to make the payment. However it took two attempts since the first time it asked me to hold it near the reader? After the second time it immediately stated I had paid my bill. Very easy.

Now if there was say my wife wanted to pay my invoice due to accident or illness I don't see how to override the Face Recognition to make a payment. And vis a vie with my wife's apple card. I will have to research that.