Walk, run or wheel on Aug. 25 for the Grand Canyon award

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2019
Those who walk, hike, run, or complete a wheelchair workout of at least three miles on August 25th can earn a unique, hiking-based award in the latest Apple Watch Activity Challenge celebrating the Grand Canyon's 100th anniversary.

The challenge is being held to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Grand Canyon National Park. Kyle Seth Gray broke the story on Twitter.

On August 25, earn an award inspired by Grand Canyon National Park's 100th anniversary. Record a walk, run, hike, or wheelchair workout of at least three miles (4.8KM) - the distance of the South Kaibab Trail to Cedar Ridge and back. #AppleWatch #CloseYourRings pic.twitter.com/JygWIXcnzP

-- Kyle Seth Gray (@kylesethgray)

Most challenges require Watch wearers to either complete a "streak" or accumulate a certain amount of activity points or minutes. This challenge is unusual as it requires participants to walk a minimum of three miles -- almost five kilometers. The distance is roughly equal to the beginner-friendly Cedar Ridge hike on the South Kaibab Trail at the Grand Canyon.

Real-life Cedar Ridge hike, image by National Park Service
Real-life Cedar Ridge hike, image by National Park Service

Those who complete the challenge will receive a unique Apple Watch award to fill out their collection. Unlike those who walk the real trail, most will be able to avoid dust storms, blisters, and perhaps most worryingly, mule-based injuries according to the National Park Service.

Past Apple Watch challenges have included the 2018 International Women's Day challenge, requiring users to double their move ring, as well as February's Heart Month challenge, which encouraged users to close their exercise ring seven days in a row.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    This one will be a breeze as I walk 10 miles a day.
    7 miles straight, take an hour break then finish the last 3 miles. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8

Most challenges require Watch wearers to either complete a "streak" or accumulate a certain amount of activity points or minutes. This challenge is unusual as it requires participants to walk a minimum of three miles -- almost five kilometers. The distance is roughly equal to the beginner-friendly Cedar Ridge hike on the South Kaibab Trail at the Grand Canyon.

I wouldn't say it's unusual as there were 3 past challenges that required you to do a distance workout. Granted they were back in 2017. Maybe they're cyclical?

Mothers day challenge 2017 - Do a workout that went for a mile or more on Mothers day.
    National Parks Challenge 2017 - Do a workout of at least 3.5 miles. The distance of the Old Faithful to Mallard Lake hike in Yellowstone
    Thanksgiving Day Challenge 2017 - Do a 5K (3.1 miles) walk, run, or wheelchair workout

I might have had more but I lost all my rewards back then when i upgraded my iphone and didn't do a secure backup.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Do we know whether this is a US region locked challenge or available in other regions (Europe) as well?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I hate stupid headlines - the Grand Canyon is more than 100 years old... the first paragraph should be clear it’s NOT the 100 year anniversary of the Gc it’s the 100 year anniversary of the national park...
    eightzerololliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Should crack through that at around 7am. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    Yup.  3 miles is my 7-days-a-week minimum walking.  Good enough for my ancient bits and pieces.  Knocked off more than 75 lbs in the last 2-3 years.  Yes, sensible nutrition helped, too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    Piece o' cake. I only walk 4mi daily so this is business as usual. I like the small incentive these awards provide. I've missed some of the standard ones – Perfect Week/Month etc, but have every one of these 'special' awards. They, along with the Watch, have turned my casual foray into maintaining fitness into a much more committed, focused regimen. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Should crack through that at around 7am. 
    I have to do that between 0 dark thirty and 7 or so because we're having a heat wave, a tropical heat wave around these parts. I hope it's not as bad on the 25th.
    pscooter63watto_cobra