Goldman Sachs spends $350 for every Apple Card signup

Comments

• Reply 41 of 97
    Not trying to be negative on this, really asking.  Why would anyone want this card?  The rate is pretty high, the integrations are interesting but don't really add that much value IMO, and I can use Apple Pay with my existing card.  What is the draw?
    2% cash back on NFC, 3% on all Apple products and services, no annual fee. Why wouldn’t I want to use it for my Apple Pay and Apple ID/iTunes card?

That doesn’t mean I’ll use it for everything, of course. 

The interest rate is quite poor (24% for good credit), but I don’t plan to carry a balance. 
    12.9% for good credit. That’s what I got for my 832 FICO score. For me it does not matter since I never carry a balance. 
    austinbaze
  • Reply 42 of 97
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member

red oak said:
    The actual cost to sign up new users is actually close to $0.   The on boarding is right there in the Wallet.  All it takes is notifying the user it is there

This $350 estimate tells me this analyst does not know WTF he is talking about
    Your question is answered in the article in great detail. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 43 of 97
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member

zroger73 said:
    Not trying to be negative on this, really asking.  Why would anyone want this card?  The rate is pretty high, the integrations are interesting but don't really add that much value IMO, and I can use Apple Pay with my existing card.  What is the draw?
    I don’t understand why people are wild for credit cards in general.
    Um. Because not using one at every opportunity and paying the balance in full each month is throwing away money?

I crave most things Apple, but my existing bank credit card pays 2% cash back on all purchases. The Apple Card only pays 2% when using Apple Pay.

The Apple Card pays 3% on purchases made from Apple, but Apple charges me 8.25% sales tax. I buy most of my gear from Apple Authorized Resellers that don't charge me sales tax and often sell for less than Apple.
    I’m not saying that people shouldn’t use them I just don’t understand how excited people get about them.

You may have a different definition of "excited" than the rest of us.  Wanting to try a credit card is not the same as "getting excited," and I haven't heard of anyone camping out in front of Apple HQ in hopes of getting an early invite. 

• Reply 44 of 97
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Soli said:
    emoeller said:
    There is none (being serious). 
    This is only the third credit card I have ever had (the other two are AMEX and Visa).  Here are the reasons I chose to sign up:

1)  Extremely secure.  There is no fixed card number, and if the physical card is used and a card skimmer or waiter steals your card number and pin, a number can be created instantly.  So there is no interruption in use of the card.

2)  No Tracking.   You are not identified by the retailer by name or by card number.  They only receive meta-data, they cannot track you (unless you want them to by signing up for some "deal" in which you have control over what information you give them)

3)  Having instant info on spending is very handy, and provides for instant recognition if charges are incorrect, thus allowing for immediate corrections.

4)  Reasonable interest rate (mine was a high limit with a 12.99% interest rate).   Not a big deal of me as I pay off my balance every month.

5)  Complete control over payments.  I simply set mine up to auto pay from my bank at the end of each month.   I don't incur any interest charges and I'm sent notifications well in advance so I can balance my bank statements.

6)  Very detailed (and very Apple designed) infographics on spending by category and retailer.   Also the info on the retailer is in plain english with business name, address, map, and contact info.  Very handy for looking back at what I purchased and from whom.

7)  There are no fees, and no late fees, or currency fees.

8)  Ties to my Apple Cash account, and of course there is the instant cash back features

9)  So far so good, I've made a couple of transactions and set up auto pay.  I will evaluate how this works for me (about 65% of all retailers in the US now accept Apple Pay/Card) to see if this is something I want to use long term.  But I know from experience that Apple Pay works extremely well and fast at checkout, especially using my Watch, so all of my Apple Pay will be done using this card going forward.

10)  Longer term I can see using this card (or something like it) to manage all of my payments (retail purchases, mortgage, other credit card balances (not available now), utilizes etc, etc) from a single source while I am mobile.
    1. Nearly all credit cards available today with EMV (chip) are equally as secure (data is encrypted when inserting your chip). Also, many people link their cards to Apple Pay and pay via NFC, which is also equally as secure. The instant number creation is not related to stolen Apple Cards. It is used for making purchases online. If your Apple Card is stolen, you must report it, freeze it, and request a new one. 

2. See above. Encrypted meta-data during payment is the norm already.

3. Nearly all credits cards today post your pending purchase in your account immediately, with the charged amount. Immediate corrections are not necessary (credit card payments are not due for a minimum of 30 days after payment. Reversal of fraudulent charges can typically be handled in that time frame).

4. Not a big deal for those who pay off in full each month.

5. Nearly every card today allows for auto pay and has notification settings.

6. Mint.com allows you to see your spending by category/retailer on ALL of your credit cards at one time. This is a significant advantage over the Apple Card because people are interested in their total spend, not just their spend on one individual card. Apple Card will NOT be able to be linked to any budgeting app (Mint, Quicken, etc) - a massive deal breaker.

7. An infinite number of credit cards are available today with no fees. 

8. 1-3% cash back today or in 30 days is not significant.

9. Most cards available today can be added to Apple Pay.

In short, there is no added draw whatsoever.
    OMG! Still trolling with the same lies. Pathetic.
    Which of the 9 points are a lie?  Because they all seem correct to me…
    The very first point, for starters, but why should I bought when in 2019 you can't understand how a system that uses a secure backend to create a referential and tokenized card number to use with a digital device that is tied to your bank account by your bank, which stores your credentials on a local a secure element, and then uses a required passcode to access the device before allowing a secure biometric to allow you to use the referential, tokenized card is inherently more secure than a physical card that anyone can use simply by having it their possession there there's absolutely nothing I can tell that will make you understand how they are not "equally as secure."
    austinbaze
  • Reply 45 of 97
    Soli said:
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Soli said:
    emoeller said:
    This is only the third credit card I have ever had (the other two are AMEX and Visa).  Here are the reasons I chose to sign up:

1)  Extremely secure.  There is no fixed card number, and if the physical card is used and a card skimmer or waiter steals your card number and pin, a number can be created instantly.  So there is no interruption in use of the card.

2)  No Tracking.   You are not identified by the retailer by name or by card number.  They only receive meta-data, they cannot track you (unless you want them to by signing up for some "deal" in which you have control over what information you give them)

3)  Having instant info on spending is very handy, and provides for instant recognition if charges are incorrect, thus allowing for immediate corrections.

4)  Reasonable interest rate (mine was a high limit with a 12.99% interest rate).   Not a big deal of me as I pay off my balance every month.

5)  Complete control over payments.  I simply set mine up to auto pay from my bank at the end of each month.   I don't incur any interest charges and I'm sent notifications well in advance so I can balance my bank statements.

6)  Very detailed (and very Apple designed) infographics on spending by category and retailer.   Also the info on the retailer is in plain english with business name, address, map, and contact info.  Very handy for looking back at what I purchased and from whom.

8)  Ties to my Apple Cash account, and of course there is the instant cash back features

9)  So far so good, I've made a couple of transactions and set up auto pay.  I will evaluate how this works for me (about 65% of all retailers in the US now accept Apple Pay/Card) to see if this is something I want to use long term.  But I know from experience that Apple Pay works extremely well and fast at checkout, especially using my Watch, so all of my Apple Pay will be done using this card going forward.

10)  Longer term I can see using this card (or something like it) to manage all of my payments (retail purchases, mortgage, other credit card balances (not available now), utilizes etc, etc) from a single source while I am mobile.
    1. Nearly all credit cards available today with EMV (chip) are equally as secure (data is encrypted when inserting your chip). Also, many people link their cards to Apple Pay and pay via NFC, which is also equally as secure. The instant number creation is not related to stolen Apple Cards. It is used for making purchases online. If your Apple Card is stolen, you must report it, freeze it, and request a new one. 

3. Nearly all credits cards today post your pending purchase in your account immediately, with the charged amount. Immediate corrections are not necessary (credit card payments are not due for a minimum of 30 days after payment. Reversal of fraudulent charges can typically be handled in that time frame).

6. Mint.com allows you to see your spending by category/retailer on ALL of your credit cards at one time. This is a significant advantage over the Apple Card because people are interested in their total spend, not just their spend on one individual card. Apple Card will NOT be able to be linked to any budgeting app (Mint, Quicken, etc) - a massive deal breaker.

OMG! Still trolling with the same lies. Pathetic.
    Which of the 9 points are a lie?  Because they all seem correct to me…
    The very first point, for starters, but why should I bought when in 2019 you can't understand how a system that uses a secure backend to create a referential and tokenized card number to use with a digital device that is tied to your bank account by your bank, which stores your credentials on a local a secure element, and then uses a required passcode to access the device before allowing a secure biometric to allow you to use the referential, tokenized card is inherently more secure than a physical card that anyone can use simply by having it their possession there there's absolutely nothing I can tell that will make you understand how they are not "equally as secure."
    What about Tokenization.
    Anyone who enters any of his/her Citi/Chase/AmEx/Visa/Master card to Apple/Google pay and later use to pay via Apple Pay, card number gets tokenized, so what advantage does Apple Card has?

As a matter of fact almost every reputable stores toknizes(lvt or hvt) their transactions as that is mandated by the processors like Chase/WorldPay etc.

Use case for Tokenization is to not transfer your actual credit card number/PAN  but rather pass either  HVT tokens (Replaces 16 digit card number) or LVT tokens(Card number gets replaced by digits and characters)

This is not something new that Apple has invented.

muthuk_vanalingamMplsPgatorguychemengin1dysamoria
  • Reply 46 of 97
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Why WOULDN'T you use a credit card? If used responsibly, it has a ton of benefits and literally zero downsides. Just pay the damn balance every month. 

- Collect points which can be redeemed for free trips, etc. 
    - Much higher security than using a debit card
    - fraud protection
    - Builds credit score
    - Ultimate convenience 
    - Tons of other perks (free car insurance, travel insurance, lounge access, etc etc)

So, there is literally no reason NOT to use a credit card, if you have a few braincells and treat the transactions like you would cash, not free money. The Apple card just offers these conveniences in a slicker package, with some additional usability benefits. 
    SoliGG1austinbaze
  • Reply 47 of 97
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    1) Security. For example, if I lose the physical card I can freeze it with one tap on my phone. I can also get a new card number with one tap if I think I need to.

2) The UI in Wallet makes it very easy to track and monitor activity without logging into some website. I see ALL the activity on the account one place. This is not the case with other Apple Pay cards, for example if I pay with my Wells Fargo card on Apple Watch the transaction does not show up in Wallet on iPhone. The color-coded categories are nice and so is the Apple Maps integration.

3) My Wells Fargo Cash Wise card gives back 1.5%. So the Apple Card is better (2%) when you can use Apple Pay. That’s not bad.

4) It’s very easy to make payments from your bank to the card, no logging into websites. All secured with FaceID.

5) Don’t you hate having to call companies by phone? You end up being on the phone for ages, being told to push certain numbers and listen to annoying music whilst you wait. Apple Card integrates iMessage Business Chat, which I much prefer.
    edited August 2019 Soli
  • Reply 48 of 97
    robjn said:
    1) Security. For example, if I lose the physical card I can freeze it with one tap on my phone. I can also get a new card number with one tap if I think I need to.

2) The UI in Wallet makes it very easy to track and monitor activity without logging into some website. I see ALL the activity on the account one place. This is not the case with other Apple Pay cards, for example if I pay with my Wells Fargo card on Apple Watch the transaction does not show up in Wallet on iPhone. The color-coded categories are nice and so is the Apple Maps integration.

3) My Wells Fargo Cash Wise card gives back 1.5%. So the Apple Card is better (2%) when you can use Apple Pay. That’s not bad.

4) It’s very easy to make payments from your bank to the card, no logging into websites. All secured with FaceID.

5) Don’t you hate having to call companies by phone? You end up being on the phone for ages, being told to push certain numbers and listen to annoying music whilst you wait. Apple Card integrates iMessage Business Chat, which I much prefer.
    1)How many card have you lost so far?
    Login to app for that card that you lost, and you should be able to freeze/report lost card right there without calling.

2)Again login to card app and you will see all your reported and pending transactions.

3)There are at least 3 cards which gives 2% on everything and not only when you use Apple Pay.

4)lol, You can have automatic payment setup or pay from the app.

5)If you are leaving generation old, you don't have to call, you can do everything from the app and online Chat.

But keep finding excuses to prove this card better.

edited August 2019 MplsP
  • Reply 49 of 97
    yuck9yuck9 Posts: 112member
    zenwaves said:
    Gold-man Sucks.

No thanks.
    If this is your position you should get one then throw it in the trash. Cost Goldman $350.
    Good Idea. Card is in the mail. Then in the trash it goes.
  • Reply 50 of 97
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,572member
    emoeller said:
    I'm glad the two of you had a go at it. I appreciate thoughtful, ordered, peaceful arguments. I think one of you made better points, and one was missing the point, but both of you had some good points. Thanks. 
    gatorguydysamoria
  • Reply 51 of 97
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    zroger73 said:
    Um. Because not using one at every opportunity and paying the balance in full each month is throwing away money?

I crave most things Apple, but my existing bank credit card pays 2% cash back on all purchases. The Apple Card only pays 2% when using Apple Pay.

The Apple Card pays 3% on purchases made from Apple, but Apple charges me 8.25% sales tax. I buy most of my gear from Apple Authorized Resellers that don't charge me sales tax and often sell for less than Apple.
    So, you are admitting you lie on your State Income tax statements? Your statement admits your state has a 8.25% sales tax. Apple charges that tax amount because the law requires it. You buy from Apple Authorized Resellers who are breaking the law by not charging you sales tax. 

Congrats for outing yourself and the resellers. 
  • Reply 52 of 97
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,337member
    Those of you who are US citizens and have a residence in the US and bank accounts in the US, as well as outside the US, and have an iPhone acquired outside the US, this question is for you. 

Despite my having received an invite for Apple Card via my AppleID tied to my US residence, I cannot get Apple Card to appear in my wallet. And because of that I cannot sign up for Apple Card. Here are more details I posted in Apple’s forum...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250557669

If any of you know a workaround for this problem, please let me know.
  • Reply 53 of 97
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jdw said:
    Those of you who are US citizens and have a residence in the US and bank accounts in the US, as well as outside the US, and have an iPhone acquired outside the US, this question is for you. 

Despite my having received an invite for Apple Card via my AppleID tied to my US residence, I cannot get Apple Card to appear in my wallet. And because of that I cannot sign up for Apple Card. Here are more details I posted in Apple’s forum...

Does this link get the card to appear when it's clicked in iOS?

• Reply 54 of 97
    I love Apple stuff ... have since the Apple II in high school. Probably have bought $250K in Apple products (had a business and used Apple stuff for it). I have 2 MacBooks, 2 iPads, latest most expensive iPhone, Apple Watch Series 4, 4 Apple TV's, 6 HomePods ... I think that is everything as I sell "old" stuff when I upgrade.

Given that, I see no reason to get the Apple Card. The Citi DoubleCash MC is excellent with 2% cash back (no minimums like the one guy posted thinking in $25 increments which is not true). I have other cards too like Chase Sapphire Reserve for travel stuff, AMEX, etc. But my main card is the Citi DoubleCash MC. Use Amazon CC on Amazon for 5% discount. Have never paid a CC fee or interest... ever.

There is no compelling reason at this time to get the Apple Card. Speculation that it MAY offer free AppleCare on future purchases is so speculative that it is laughable .... why would Apple give up that revenue and why would GS pay for such a thing?

Serious question, does Apple Card have the full gauntlet of protections/benefits that my Citi DoubleCash MC (or other premium cards) have (I know, I haven't looked it up yet)? For example, Citi DoubleCash MC benefits paid for my overnight hotel after a weather delay left me stranded in ATL overnight (airlines don't provide hotel for weather delays).
    edited August 2019 muthuk_vanalingamdysamoria
  • Reply 55 of 97
    Soli said:
    jdw said:

Thank you for the wonderful link! I can see Apple Card using it, but alas, tapping the blue Continue button yields the error below, even with my SIM removed and even when using a VPN app on my iPhone connected to a US server AND with my date/time region manually set to the US AND with Location & Find My iPhone disabled: 

Any further ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! 
  • Reply 56 of 97
    Soli said:
    jdw said:

I totally forgot about the iOS “Language & Region“ setting. Changing that to the USA got rid of the error!  It automatically filled out my name and date of birth and my current phone number outside the USA. But I’m wondering if it’s important to put the phone number that’s tied to my current iPhone SIM card outside the USA, or could I safely put  phone number landline associated with my residence in the USA? I don’t want to fill this out in the wrong way. So please let me know. Thanks. 

One more question for those of you who already have the Apple Card ...

If you go into the iOS Settings and change the Language & Region to something other than the USA, and then if you open Wallet do you still see your Apple card there?

This is a very important question because Apple claims you can use Apple Card when traveling outside the United States. 
    edited August 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 57 of 97
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    emoeller said:

Please show me a single card that combines all of these features
    Soli
  • Reply 58 of 97
    Well, I thought there would be no harm in using the landline phone number associated with my address in the USA, so I typed that in and filled out the rest of the application. Ultimately it errored out because I was still using my VPN. I disabled the VPN and then tapped “Next“ and it worked. In the end it asked me for my full Social Security number, which I provided. But it denied my application! It sent me an email to say it denied my application only because Equifax would not provide my credit report for some unknown reason to Goldman Sachs. And that’s the end of it. 

What a let down!
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 59 of 97
    jdw said:
    Well, I thought there would be no harm in using the landline phone number associated with my address in the USA, so I typed that in and filled out the rest of the application. Ultimately it errored out because I was still using my VPN. I disabled the VPN and then tapped “Next“ and it worked. In the end it asked me for my full Social Security number, which I provided. But it denied my application! It sent me an email to say it denied my application only because Equifax would not provide my credit report for some unknown reason to Goldman Sachs. And that’s the end of it. 

What a let down!
    Had you frozen your credit?
  • Reply 60 of 97
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    macmarcus said:
    I love Apple stuff ... have since the Apple II in high school. Probably have bought $250K in Apple products (had a business and used Apple stuff for it). I have 2 MacBo
    Whatever. 

Could someone explain to me why they think listing their Apple kit adds legitimacy to their argument?

I’ve been eating cheesecake since I was a kid, but I don’t think that makes me an expert on credit card marketing. 

Weird. 
    edited August 2019 dysamoriaFileMakerFeller