YouTuber iJustine launches Final Cut Pro X training app for macOS

Posted:
in Mac Software
Prominent YouTube personality iJustine is moving into education, partnering with Ripple Training to produce a course on how to use Final Cut Pro X, one that could help inspire the next generation of content creators to produce their own videos for the streaming service.

The tutorial, titled "iJustine Teaches FCP X," shows how Justine Ezarik uses Apple's video editing software to produce content. Offering a view of her end-to-end workflow for creating videos, the tutorial is split up into 16 lessons covering each step in her editing process.

The lessons include how to import and organize media performing multi-camera editing, adding b-roll and music, color correction, adding titles and effects to a clip, and preparing the video for export to YouTube, among other topics. Each lesson lasts between 5 and 8 minutes, and include chapter markers for jumping to specific topics within a tutorial.

The tutorial itself is compliant with Final Cut Pro's Workflow Extension architecture, which means it can be used within Final Cut Pro directly. Accessible from the menu bar, it is able to be watched without users having to switch between the editing software and the tutorial app itself.

All of the lessons are provided by iJustine, who has over 5 million subscribers for her channel. The tutorials also use media supplied by iJustine herself, so users can follow along with the actions in a lesson in their own copy of Final Cut Pro.

The iJustine Teaches FCP X course is available now in the Mac App Store, priced at $29.99.

The offering is a small departure from the tuition Ripple Training usually provides, which includes more in-depth examination of Final Cut Pro X's features, as well as those of other creative apps, including Motion, Logic Pro, and DaVinci Resolve. Given iJustine's celebrity, the new tutorial could help introduce Ripple's other educational elements to a new crowd looking to build upon the course's knowledge.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Good for her and Ripple training. Hope they all do well in this collaboration.
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 2 of 17
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    This is some kind of joke right? I know we're way past April fools this year, but this is a joke??

She's one of the biggest dimwits I've seen on YouTube, and doesn't actually know JACK about tech!
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Cool for Justine.  She has been at her interweb hustle for a long time.  
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Cool for Justine.  She has been at her interweb hustle for a long time.  
    She was basically “discovered” by Alex Lindsay of Pixel Corps and MacBreak Weekly fame.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    This is some kind of joke right? I know we're way past April fools this year, but this is a joke??

She's one of the biggest dimwits I've seen on YouTube, and doesn't actually know JACK about tech!
    Not a fan of hers at all, but in all fairness she probably does know Final Cut. That's been her whole life.

I guess it's time to move on from all the dumb stuff she produces and do something with a little more value and substance.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 17

At some level not knowing jack about tech can be said of everyone. 
    FileMakerFellerbyronl
  • Reply 7 of 17
    razorpit said:

Not a fan of hers at all, but in all fairness she probably does know Final Cut. That's been her whole life.

I guess it's time to move on from all the dumb stuff she produces and do something with a little more value and substance.
    She's not my cup of tea either, but my girls liker her a lot.  She caters to her audience very well.  All things considered, she delivers lightweight topics in a non-controversial format... enjoyable content for her fans.  She's analogous to Mike & Mike or Golic & Wingo for me.  
    razorpitbyronl
  • Reply 8 of 17
    razorpit said:

She's not my cup of tea either, but my girls liker her a lot.  She caters to her audience very well.  All things considered, she delivers lightweight topics in a non-controversial format... enjoyable content for her fans.  She's analogous to Mike & Mike or Golic & Wingo for me.  
    I just checked and she has almost 6 million followers on YouTube and 1.7 million followers on Twitter. That’s a massive built-in audience. Ripple Training would be smart to make a video series with a number of top YouTube personalities who are in control of their product and their process.
    edited August 2019 StrangeDaysrazorpithexclockbyronl
  • Reply 9 of 17
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member

Have you SEEN the anti-Apple nerds and iKnockoff tech Youtubers? iJustine easily knows more about tech than the whole bunch of them combined.

At least iJustine is fun, true to herself and doesn't pretend to know about tech.
    StrangeDaysFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 17
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Yeah agreed, way better than the pro-trolls with their “Why I’M RETURNING my iPhone!” with the obligatory scowl/frown clickbait thumbnail formula. Screw those guys and good for her. 
    AppleExposedfastasleepwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 17
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member

She's catering for a different audience that is not nerdy nor technical. Her content is lifestyle, travel and tech, very approachable, light and silly. You don't have to be such a hater just because it's not your style.
    AppleExposedGG1entropysbloggerblogFileMakerFellerStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 17
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    CloudTalkin said:
    She caters to her audience very well.  All things considered, she delivers lightweight topics in a non-controversial format... enjoyable content for her fans.
    There's a lot to be said for that, considering all the vitriol and just plain crap on YouTube. She's not at all dumb or a dimwit. So yeah, good for here. She may not be an über tech nerd, but she does know a lot about tech in general, and technique. Now if she'd do a similar tutorial in Pixelmator, I'd be all in.

gutengel said:
    You don't have to be such a hater just because it's not your style.
    Yeah he does. It's how he and his ilk feel better about themselves. It's all they have, so don't harsh their mellow— too much.
    watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 13 of 17
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    I haven't followed her much for a while, but what I remember of her is that she's likable enough, and despite some claims, does actually know a bit about tech. She has released some real clangers on YouTube in the past, but who hasn't? She's still one of the less offensive presences on YouTube, at least by comparison.

I also think a local company stole one of her pictures from Instagram or somewhere for an ad, which I meant to ask her about, but didn't get round to it.

As mentioned, she makes (at least part of) her living on YouTube. A lot of these YouTube people really know Final Cut because they have to. Even the ones that farm out their editing and production to an assistant started by having to do it themselves.

So I guess I'm saying this is a smart move on her part, and on the part of Ripple. I wish them both success.

As a final note, it's her fault I joined Twitter. She was on Mac Break Weekly after the iPhone announcement in January of 2007, and her phone kept going off, which led to a discussion of Twitter, which was predominantly SMS based at the time, and I joined out of curiosity. And now I'm stuck there, damn her eyes! Obviously, this was before anyone really knew how smartphones were going to affect micro-blogging services like Twitter.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Ripple Training should also make tutorials with Casey Niestat (he’s now living in Los Angeles, closer to Ripple Training) and Marques Brownlee, both with huge built-in audiences.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    Ripple Training should also make tutorials with Casey Niestat (he’s now living in Los Angeles, closer to Ripple Training) and Marques Brownlee, both with huge built-in audiences.
    iJustine is definitely the better choice for both her sense of simplicity and casual presence. Marques and Casey may cater to the pro segment. Marques has become a Samsung tool as of late and an Apple hater.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 17
    iJustine is definitely the better choice for both her sense of simplicity and casual presence. Marques and Casey may cater to the pro segment. Marques has become a Samsung tool as of late and an Apple hater.
    Could you walk me through how you reached that conclusion about Brownlee?  The guy iis a virtual billboard for Apple.  1. Always seen with Apple Watch.  2. Always has an iMac (previously Mac Pro) visible in studio. 3. Uses a workflow built around Apple products. 4. Can't stop singing the praises of the iPad.  Although he prefers Android phones, it's Pixel and OnePlus, not Samsung devices, that he prefers.  I'm kinda hard pressed to come up with anything that supports your opinion so I'm curious to see what you're thinking.
    byronl
  • Reply 17 of 17
    anome said:
    I haven't followed her much for a while, but what I remember of her is that she's likable enough, and despite some claims, does actually know a bit about tech. She has released some real clangers on YouTube in the past, but who hasn't? She's still one of the less offensive presences on YouTube, at least by comparison.

I also think a local company stole one of her pictures from Instagram or somewhere for an ad, which I meant to ask her about, but didn't get round to it.

As mentioned, she makes (at least part of) her living on YouTube. A lot of these YouTube people really know Final Cut because they have to. Even the ones that farm out their editing and production to an assistant started by having to do it themselves.

So I guess I'm saying this is a smart move on her part, and on the part of Ripple. I wish them both success.

As a final note, it's her fault I joined Twitter. She was on Mac Break Weekly after the iPhone announcement in January of 2007, and her phone kept going off, which led to a discussion of Twitter, which was predominantly SMS based at the time, and I joined out of curiosity. And now I'm stuck there, damn her eyes! Obviously, this was before anyone really knew how smartphones were going to affect micro-blogging services like Twitter.
    Very true. She earned her followers during the years. iJustine just makes fun videos for an audience who doesn’t need to dive into really technical stuff. Nothing wrong with that. I saw Linus from LTT set up a server for her and she didn’t pretend to understand every detail about it. She does know what she’s talking about in her videos though and she surely knows how to edit things pretty well for her channel. She’s using FCP for years and her tutorials will help a lot of people to get a good start in video editing. 
    watto_cobrabyronl