Apple searching for 750,000 square feet of Manhattan office space

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member

spice-boy said:
    Well, Epstein's place recently became available...
    I hope Apple doesn’t get AOC-ed. 
    Given that Apple is looking for real estate, and not a sweetheart tax deal from a bizarre bidding process, this seems unlikely.
    You are fooling yourself if you think Apple is not looking for a sweetheart deal. That's what giant corporations always do. 
    You misunderstand. This is not a "hey, we want to build a headquarters here, and we're seeking the best tax package we can" from the NY government.

I'm sure they want the best price that they can on the deeds. It just isn't the Amazon tax benefits bid-thing.
    Our terrible mayor wants to create "Silicon Alley" in my neighborhood, he will do anything to get Apple to make a footprint here. 
  • Reply 22 of 32
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Given that Apple is looking for real estate, and not a sweetheart tax deal from a bizarre bidding process, this seems unlikely.
    Apple is looking out for Apple. They aren't looking at real-estate to help NYC's capacity numbers. They'll go for the best tax deal they can get.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Very probably that many of the staff will be quite well paid, but they still will not be able to easily afford living on Manhattan. It is not sustainable. There are still some “affordable” places in this borough, but many will be competing for those spaces which are already overpriced to begin with. 

So those who are left without a convenient apartment or condo in Manhattan will have to find their new home addresses outside — Such as Bronx, Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens, Jersey City, Hoboken, or Weehawken, Westchester. This means there will be thousands more passengers added to the already congested MTA, Metro-North, LIRR, NJT, and PATH trying to commute to the Apple office in Manhattan. 
    Huh, funny I haven’t seen people making these comments when there’s been articles here about Amazon’s expansion into NYC.   
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Very probably that many of the staff will be quite well paid, but they still will not be able to easily afford living on Manhattan. It is not sustainable. There are still some “affordable” places in this borough, but many will be competing for those spaces which are already overpriced to begin with. 

So those who are left without a convenient apartment or condo in Manhattan will have to find their new home addresses outside — Such as Bronx, Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens, Jersey City, Hoboken, or Weehawken, Westchester. This means there will be thousands more passengers added to the already congested MTA, Metro-North, LIRR, NJT, and PATH trying to commute to the Apple office in Manhattan. 
    Huh, funny I haven’t seen people making these comments when there’s been articles here about Amazon’s expansion into NYC.   
    There were comments about Amazon, I know I left a bunch myself. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 32
    spice-boy said:
    Apple stay in sunny California in some nice vacuumed sealed minimalist glass box and leave our grimly, lively, diverse city alone. 
    Maybe you weren’t paying attention all the years AHQ was being built, but it’s not vacuum sealed. It circulates outside air for much less energy use than normal AC-cooled buildings. Does yours? My offices haven’t. 
    My comment was not meant to be taken literally, I'm referring to how pristine it appears vs an urban setting. 
  • Reply 26 of 32
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Not just financial tech, as someone mentioned above, but my guess (as Seattle expansion is about tech) is it shows they are committing deeply to being a force in media and advertising. Deals and talent you can't find elsewhere. Beneficaries? AppleNews Plus, Books, TV, also sports and music. Wow!
  • Reply 27 of 32
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    That's the most expensive real estate in the country.......
  • Reply 28 of 32
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    neilm said:
    The search by Apple for office space in Manhattan could lead to a considerable presence in New York City, with the iPhone maker allegedly looking for as much as 750,000 square feet of space for some of its operations.

Manhattan

Apple has been on the hunt for a location in Manhattan for its offices for some months now, with reports from February suggesting it was in "advanced negotiations" for a 60,000-square-foot office at 55 Hudson Yards. A new report claims the search is still on, with Apple having ambitions to acquire an even larger office space.

According to sources of TheRealDeal, Apple is looking for office space in the borough between 200,000 and 500,000 square feet in size. The space it could secure may even end up bigger, with one source suggesting up to 750,000 square feet was desired.

To keep that 750,000 square feet in perspective, that is nearly identical to the area of 13 US Football fields. Apple Park has 2.5 million square feet of employee space, excluding the donut hole and other green spaces on the campus.

AppleInsider confirmed the real estate hunt in New York City with sources inside Apple corporate not authorized to speak on the matter. However, we could not confirm how much the company was looking for.

It is believed Apple has already tapped the usual list of properties that could offer a space that large, including 50 Hudson Yards controlled by the Related Companies and Oxford Properties Group, the Related and Vornado Realty Trust's Farley Post Office redevelopment, and SL Green Realty's One Madison Avenue.

Apple currently leases approximately 45,000 square feet at Kaufman Organization's 100-104 Fifth Avenue, which it has occupied sin
    If you figure maybe 250-300 sq ft per employee, including common areas, that’s a whole lot of people. NYC  real estate is of course very pricey, and the Hudson Yards development is at the high end of that.
    I hope they don’t get run out of town like that other outfit looking for office space.  The liberals in that city are nuts.  Frankly Apple could do far better in just about any other city in the country. NYC is not a place to set up business.  
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Actually I kinda hope that the do!!!!    Seriously NYC doesn’t deserve Apple and frankly AOC is only part of the problem.  There has to be at least 100 cities in the USA that would be a better choice.   
  • Reply 30 of 32
    1st said:
    within Manhattan for such a lorge footage is not easy - just step outside to fishkill, Ex IBM plants might be just big enough and easy to commute if Apple bus (with autopliot) good enough for some minor twist and turns.  IMHO.  close enough to NY city, far enough to prevent lost of few souls over night at Broadway ;-).  
    Frankly they could move much rather away and get a much bigger bang for their buck.  For example Rochester NY has a very strong tech sector and a well educated workforce.  Atlanta Ga is another place that would make more sense.  In fact there are a number of southern cities that are much more appealing.  Move back up north and Dayton Ohio would support a tech company like Apple.  

I have to wonder if this is all about politics.   Apple could be putting out feelers simply to bias the local population in the next election.  They might not have any intention of actually using the space but rather hope to create a buzz.  
  • Reply 31 of 32
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Well... that's while that's true... it's not the bigger picture.  If Apple were to have the ability to secure such a vast amount of space and have the option of moving in, then at that point I'm sure Apple's lobbyist will start putting feelers out there to ask for a sweetheart deal to bring all those future tax-paying employees in.  We know AOC hates high-income, tax-paying employees so hopefully, it's far away from AOC's district.

edited August 2019
  • Reply 32 of 32
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    That's the most expensive real estate in the country.......
    may be got something to do with that "9-11" building sitting somewhat empty.  Good chance to set a foot in....;-)