Titanium and ceramic Apple Watch variants spotted in watchOS 6 beta

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited August 2019
A pair of assets have been harvested out of the latest watchOS 6 beta, pointing to new Apple Watch models in ceramic and titanium coming in the fall.

Ceramic Apple Watch

Two new images contained in the most recent run of beta releases the Apple Watch clearly show titanium and ceramic model nomenclature. Data about the new models has been determined similar to how a September 10 date was extracted for the "iPhone 11" launch event.

Titanium and ceramic Apple Watch setup screens from iHelpBR
Titanium and ceramic Apple Watch setup screens from iHelpBR

The images, spotted by iHelpBR come from the on-boarding screens for the Apple Watch, and there are 40mm and 44mm versions. The images are from the animation that plays during initial Apple Watch setup.

After Apple cancelled the gold "Edition" model, the company used ceramic for the Series 2 and Series 3 models. However, Apple didn't offer a ceramic model for the Apple Watch Series 4, and has never offered titanium.

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted in early 2019 that the material would make a return to the Apple Watch. Saturday's revelations are the first time that titanium has been rumored as a casing material for the Apple Watch. More recently, Kuo has declared that the fall Apple Watch releases will have some screens sourced by Japan Display.

Beyond very small amounts in fabrication, the only other current Apple product that uses a lot of titanium is the Apple Card.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    A former coworker had a ceramic Series 3. I always thought it looked very nice, I liked the looks of it a little more than my Space Black SS Series 0. I’m happy to see it may be coming back. 
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 54
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I’m still hoping for a liquid metal edition...
    gilly33jahbladedoozydozenSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 54
    Ceramic is one of those things where it seems cool except nobody knows it's ceramic aside from you and a few major Apple nerds. Only reason I could see to do it would be if they wanted to use it for different colours. But again they can already use aluminum for that. I still think they should make a low end model with a white polycarbonite case.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 54
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    After paying extra for the black stainless Series zero to get the black link band only to have watch become... just a watch (with poor battery life and an unresponsive iOS interface), I am never paying extra for a fancy material on the same limited-life electronics.  Aluminum is just fine for me.

paisleydiscoTomEtyler82toysandmerazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 54
    Ceramic is one of those things where it seems cool except nobody knows it's ceramic aside from you and a few major Apple nerds.
    So?  Personally, I couldn’t care less if someone knows what material my watch case is made of.
    I bet there are a lot of people out there that wouldn’t correctly identify the material on a ceramic Apple Watch but could still see that it looked nice. 

A thing can be cool without everyone knowing about it.
    doggonemacguiStrangeDaysdoozydozenronnfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 54
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Unless it adds either beauty or functionality, why pay for it?
    For me, that's the killer for the stainless steel version:   I can't tell it from the aluminum version and, since the aluminum version stays scratch free, it doesn't offer any real benefit (or is the crystal still saphire? -- that would be a benefit).

So, I figure that, at best titanium may provide a lighter watch --- which is nice but not a big deal.
    But, a ceramic watch could offer color variations not possible otherwise and provide beauty and distinction.
    TomEjahblade
  • Reply 7 of 54
    I like the steel model because the glass is less likely to scratch than the glass on the aluminium model. Unfortunately the steel case can get scuffed, so extra care needs to be taken to avoid scuffing the steel case.

Aluminium case is less likely to get scuff, or at least the scuff is less noticeable. But scuffs and scratches on the aluminium model’s glass is noticeable.

I wish the glass on the aluminium model is as tough as the steel model, and the case of the steel model is as less prone to visible scuffs and scratches as the aluminium case. I also like the steel model’s subtle weightiness feel on my wrist. It feels assuring.

Anyway, I think it would be very nice to see Apple, in addition to the titanium and ceramic models, make the tougher glass part of the aluminium models. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 54
    Ceramic is one of those things where it seems cool except nobody knows it's ceramic aside from you and a few major Apple nerds. Only reason I could see to do it would be if they wanted to use it for different colours. But again they can already use aluminum for that. I still think they should make a low end model with a white polycarbonite case.
    If your point is to show others that you can afford something expensive you might want to consider just duct taping a wad of money to your wrist.  :p
    bonobobWgkruegerJapheyStrangeDaystoysandmeking editor the grateRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 54
    Unless it adds either beauty or functionality, why pay for it?
    For me, that's the killer for the stainless steel version:   I can't tell it from the aluminum version and, since the aluminum version stays scratch free, it doesn't offer any real benefit (or is the crystal still saphire? -- that would be a benefit).

So, I figure that, at best titanium may provide a lighter watch --- which is nice but not a big deal.
    But, a ceramic watch could offer color variations not possible otherwise and provide beauty and distinction.
    If you can’t tell the difference between the stainless steel and the aluminum you must be close to legally blind.  :D
    macguiseanjStrangeDaysRayz2016gutengelwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 54
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    Paying extra for these watches with better materials is a really poor investment. 

tbh I can’t tell the difference between them, and no one cares either. You want a quality watch get a patek philippe.

i’ve said It over and over, they need to make the watch thinner. Most comments I get when I wear mine is that it looks chunky. 
  • Reply 11 of 54
    The glass screen on my aluminum watch looked pretty bad after three months, and like utter hell after a year and a half. I couldn’t care less what the case looks like, but next time around I’ll spring for whatever has a sapphire screen.

It appears that titanium is right between aluminum and steel for weight and strength, but more expensive than either. Looks like it would replace steel in the lineup.
    edited August 2019 StrangeDaysevilutionwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 54
    Just give me the strongest screen on the aluminum body, these things are replaceable every 2 years anyway.
    danielchowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 54
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    kkqd1337 said:
    Paying extra for these watches with better materials is a really poor investment. 

tbh I can’t tell the difference between them, and no one cares either. You want a quality watch get a patek philippe.

i’ve said It over and over, they need to make the watch thinner. Most comments I get when I wear mine is that it looks chunky. 
    It’s less of a poor investment now that the Watch is becoming more mature as a product and the speed/feature gains are incremental. It’s possible there is no series 5 this year. Maybe these new offerings  will be like the jet black iPhone 7. Something to keep excitement in the product when there’s no major update.
    canukstormwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 54
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
     In addition to being lighter,  titanium is also much more scratch resistant than  stainless steel.   I’m sure Apple will make us pay dearly for it. 
  • Reply 15 of 54
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    I owned a grey ceramic for a year or so and nobody ever noticed, or complimented it. They only asked about the general functionality as prospective buyers. The only really great thing about it was that it didn't have a single scratch anywhere when I sold it. My original stainless steel had a million scratches on the body (none on the screen thanks to the upgraded glass). My current series 4 Nike, has a couple of scratches on the body and the screen.
    GeorgeBMacdoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 54
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    The lack of a ceramic option is why I did not buy a Series 4.  IMHO it is the best material for a watch body...substantial, warm, great luster and impervious to scratches.  it depends upon whether you buy for a year or two or want it to make four or more years (as long as Apple allows battery replacements).

I have yet to make the AW plunge.  I suspect this will be the year.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 54
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    razorpit said:
    I’m still hoping for a liquid metal edition...
    I was going to post on that too, and I suppose I am. It’s been a very long time since Apple first became involved with Liquidmetal. I remember getting involved in several arguments with people here, in several separate threads about when it would be used, and for what. Even when the inventor, in an interview, said that it would be years before becoming practical for these types of products, some people said he didn’t know what he was talking about (as though they did).

a watch, as I’ve said before, is the perfect product for this. It’s small and uses little material, and can be expensive enough to make it worthwhile. Frankly, at this time, I’m surprised that we’re not seeing something from Apple, other than the tiny sim rejection tool made out of it that Apple sent with the phones what now seems to be ages ago. I still have mine.

maybe they’ve abandoned it. I hope not. I still would buy the watch in a liquidmetal case, and bracelet.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 54
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

Appleish said:
    I owned a grey ceramic for a year or so and nobody ever noticed, or complimented it. They only asked about the general functionality as prospective buyers. The only really great thing about it was that it didn't have a single scratch anywhere when I sold it. My original stainless steel had a million scratches on the body (none on the screen thanks to the upgraded glass). My current series 4 Nike, has a couple of scratches on the body and the screen.
    Never got a scratch on any of my awatches with the SS case and black diamond coating. Or the bracelet.
    seanjmobirdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 54
    doggonedoggone Posts: 377member
    Personally I would rather go for a cheaper model so I can get a new watch every 2 years.  For me the functionality is the key and getting better performances with increased battery life improved the day to day experience.  
    The worst thing about the aluminum watch is the face gets scratched easily.  Would prefer the sapphire glass but I'm not willing to pay for the stainless steel version.
    canukstormGeorgeBMacentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 54
    Asking because I do not know - does the ceramic case have any effect on the signal to/from the cellular radio vs metal case?
    watto_cobra