Sonos 'Move' portable Bluetooth speaker and dock images leak

Posted:
in General Discussion
The first images of what Sonos' first attempt at a portable Bluetooth speaker have leaked, with the HomePod competitor Sonos 'Move' offering smart speaker abilities while also able to be used both with and separately from an existing Sonos speaker network via the addition of Bluetooth.

The speaker is a portable unit that is cylindrical in shape, though it has a recess at the back for easier moving of the unit that also hides extra buttons for power and toggling between modes. Around most of the front of the speaker is a grille, that extends around the sides and near to the rear alcove.

Unlike others in the range, it also is supplied with a dock ring that can recharge its battery using a pair of contacts, images from WinFuture reveal. Along with the dock, a USB Type-C connection can be used for charging, though it is unknown how much battery power is provided, nor if the physical connection could be used to provide power to other devices.

The key addition to the Sonos Move appears to be the inclusion of Bluetooth support, allowing it to be used to play audio from practically any device with Bluetooth connectivity. The unit can switch modes between working as part of a speaker network at home and Bluetooth, which means the portable speaker could easily be taken from the home and used elsewhere.

Six speakers are also included to enable its smart speaker functionality, with it including support for both the Google Assistant and Amazon's Alexa, with the latter enabling the use of Apple Music hands-free. Support for Apple's AirPlay 2 is also touted for the unit.

It is unclear exactly how much the HomePod competitor will cost, as well as other information such as weatherproofing. More details are likely to arrive this month, as Sonos is holding a media event on August 26 which may feature the speaker's launch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Too bad Sonos speakers all look like they were designed in the 90s. I have one One and wouldn't mind more but they just aren't that nice to look at.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    It’s an interesting idea, but i'd expect this is going to be a premium $200+ speaker.

Whilst I am sure there is a market for this - personally I prefer my Bluetooth speakers to be cheap and cheerful so I can to take it to the pool/beach/hotel without needing to be too worried about it getting ruined or stolen.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Can’t wait! My Bose soundbar Mini died this spring and I borrowed a friend’s BT speaker for vacation this summer. Glad I saved the $$$ Instead of immediately replacing the Bose, soon I can get the Sonos mobile speaker I’ve been wishing for since joining the Sonos team years ago!
    bigtds
  • Reply 4 of 7
    bigtdsbigtds Posts: 167member
    Waiting for the reviews on this. The convenience of moving Sonos from inside to outside would be perfect for me. I hoping the battery life is reasonable as is the price. 
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Sonos yet has to release a mediocre product, and they have a proven track record of supporting their hardware for a really, really long time (their original Zone Player is something like 15 year old and integrates just fine with their latest offerings, quite a feat that very few companies are willing or able to pull off)
    I'm currently using an Amazon Tap for the backyard, but I sure could use a pair of these!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Sonos yet has to release a mediocre product, and they have a proven track record of supporting their hardware for a really, really long time (their original Zone Player is something like 15 year old and integrates just fine with their latest offerings, quite a feat that very few companies are willing or able to pull off)
    I'm currently using an Amazon Tap for the backyard, but I sure could use a pair of these!
    @lordjohnwhorfin ;I love how Sonos sticks with the legacy hardware too.

Still, it does make a good case study of why other brands sunset old products. There are limitations to the Sonos system that can only be attributed to maintaining extreme backward compatibility:
    1. No High Res audio can be streamed to Sonos devices
    2. Any local Music Library is limited to 65,000 (or so) tracks (you can use Plex to serve up a local collection of audio files [not audiophiles, though that would be an interesting party!] which is a nice, but nerdy, way to sidestep this limitation)
    3. Sonos App has been slow in integrating the developing native multi-room speakers systems of other tech vendors (ie: AirPlay 2) or voice control (Alexa, etc.) and in a bit of a break from Sonos' typical policy, this capability has been added only to new(ish) devices with capability to work with older devices if a newer unit helps out
    These drawbacks are more of a side-effect of Sonos being early to the multi-room audio and succeeding in a way that the original designers never anticipated while being co-opted by communities (audiophiles, again) they weren't really targeting at first.

A cautionary tale of being a victim of your own success. Apple fans are only too familiar with stories like that.

edited August 2019
  • Reply 7 of 7
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    I'm hoping that when WIFI6 routers are out SONOS finally moves into ATMOS and HiRes Audio finally.    Lack of HiRes is only thing holding me back for getting more Sonos (also wish the Amp had a center channel).