Goldman Sachs spends $350 for every Apple Card signup

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 97
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    AppleCard is like AppleWatch, a luxury item. Interest rate is too high, my other cards are at least 5 points lower. Signup costs are practically zero. Sounds like the author is assigning marketing expenditures as user "costs". While I suppose you could look at it that way, it's a little disingenuous. Goldman Sachs will do just fine. There is no looming recession, that is fake news. A debit card is a better instrument, IMHO. I would sign up if they had a debit card.
  • Reply 82 of 97
    MplsP said:
    emoeller said:
    emoeller said:
    Not trying to be negative on this, really asking.  Why would anyone want this card?  The rate is pretty high, the integrations are interesting but don't really add that much value IMO, and I can use Apple Pay with my existing card.  What is the draw?
    There is none (being serious). 
    This is only the third credit card I have ever had (the other two are AMEX and Visa).  Here are the reasons I chose to sign up:

1)  Extremely secure.  There is no fixed card number, and if the physical card is used and a card skimmer or waiter steals your card number and pin, a number can be created instantly.  So there is no interruption in use of the card.

2)  No Tracking.   You are not identified by the retailer by name or by card number.  They only receive meta-data, they cannot track you (unless you want them to by signing up for some "deal" in which you have control over what information you give them)

3)  Having instant info on spending is very handy, and provides for instant recognition if charges are incorrect, thus allowing for immediate corrections.

4)  Reasonable interest rate (mine was a high limit with a 12.99% interest rate).   Not a big deal of me as I pay off my balance every month.

5)  Complete control over payments.  I simply set mine up to auto pay from my bank at the end of each month.   I don't incur any interest charges and I'm sent notifications well in advance so I can balance my bank statements.

6)  Very detailed (and very Apple designed) infographics on spending by category and retailer.   Also the info on the retailer is in plain english with business name, address, map, and contact info.  Very handy for looking back at what I purchased and from whom.

7)  There are no fees, and no late fees, or currency fees.

8)  Ties to my Apple Cash account, and of course there is the instant cash back features

9)  So far so good, I've made a couple of transactions and set up auto pay.  I will evaluate how this works for me (about 65% of all retailers in the US now accept Apple Pay/Card) to see if this is something I want to use long term.  But I know from experience that Apple Pay works extremely well and fast at checkout, especially using my Watch, so all of my Apple Pay will be done using this card going forward.

10)  Longer term I can see using this card (or something like it) to manage all of my payments (retail purchases, mortgage, other credit card balances (not available now), utilizes etc, etc) from a single source while I am mobile.
    1. Nearly all credit cards available today with EMV (chip) are equally as secure (data is encrypted when inserting your chip). Also, many people link their cards to Apple Pay and pay via NFC, which is also equally as secure. The instant number creation is not related to stolen Apple Cards. It is used for making purchases online. If your Apple Card is stolen, you must report it, freeze it, and request a new one. 

2. See above. Encrypted meta-data during payment is the norm already.

3. Nearly all credits cards today post your pending purchase in your account immediately, with the charged amount. Immediate corrections are not necessary (credit card payments are not due for a minimum of 30 days after payment. Reversal of fraudulent charges can typically be handled in that time frame).

4. Not a big deal for those who pay off in full each month.

5. Nearly every card today allows for auto pay and has notification settings.

6. Mint.com allows you to see your spending by category/retailer on ALL of your credit cards at one time. This is a significant advantage over the Apple Card because people are interested in their total spend, not just their spend on one individual card. Apple Card will NOT be able to be linked to any budgeting app (Mint, Quicken, etc) - a massive deal breaker.

7. An infinite number of credit cards are available today with no fees. 

8. 1-3% cash back today or in 30 days is not significant.

9. Most cards available today can be added to Apple Pay.

In short, there is no added draw whatsoever.

Please show me a single card that combines all of these features
    As others have mentioned, the security features of the card are duplicated with pretty much any chip card, and with any card that goes through Apple Pay. All of my cards have customizable settings to give text and/or email notifications about things like large purchases, purchases for which the card wasn’t present (online,) payment due dates, etc. When I make a large purchase with my discover card, I get the text notification before I have a chance to sign the receipt/screen. 

Are you sure about that?
    My understanding is that whether it goes through ApplePay or not, the Applecard never actually gives out your credit card number.   Instead it is only a tokenized number that the vendor sees.   Conversely, chip cards and mag stripes both give out your actual card number -- plus a lot more.
    No, that's not right. Chip cards generate tokenized numbers for each transaction. 
  • Reply 83 of 97
    Rayz2016 said:
    macmarcus said:
    I love Apple stuff ... have since the Apple II in high school. Probably have bought $250K in Apple products (had a business and used Apple stuff for it). I have 2 MacBo
    Whatever. 

Could someone explain to me why they think listing their Apple kit adds legitimacy to their argument?

I’ve been eating cheesecake since I was a kid, but I don’t think that makes me an expert on credit card marketing. 

Weird. 
    Sure. Here is the explanation, so people like you don't accuse me of being an Apple hater for not thinking the Apple Card isn't a must have. Never said I was an expert on credit card marketing you troll.
  • Reply 84 of 97
    I don’t think anyone is arguing that the Apple Card is a bad card, it’s just that for the majority of people it’s not significantly better than a lot of other cards and it’s puzzling to see people touting features as ‘special’ when they are so common that they are practically universal.

EXACTLY.
    chemengin1sandor
  • Reply 85 of 97
    ApplePay doesn't "track" per se ... BUT ...

But if you use Apple Pay at Target then return something without a receipt you have to use Apple Pay for the return (can't insert or swipe the card that was used via Apple Pay) for them to lookup your receipt. So, someone, somewhere is tracking something ... otherwise how could they look up the receipt (all of your Apple Pay receipts actually) if it was totally untraceable and each use of Apple Pay generates a unique identifier?

Anyway care to explain that? Just curious?
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 86 of 97
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    MplsP said:
    emoeller said:
    emoeller said:
    Not trying to be negative on this, really asking.  Why would anyone want this card?  The rate is pretty high, the integrations are interesting but don't really add that much value IMO, and I can use Apple Pay with my existing card.  What is the draw?
    This is only the third credit card I have ever had (the other two are AMEX and Visa).  Here are the reasons I chose to sign up:

1)  Extremely secure.  There is no fixed card number, and if the physical card is used and a card skimmer or waiter steals your card number and pin, a number can be created instantly.  So there is no interruption in use of the card.

2)  No Tracking.   You are not identified by the retailer by name or by card number.  They only receive meta-data, they cannot track you (unless you want them to by signing up for some "deal" in which you have control over what information you give them)

3)  Having instant info on spending is very handy, and provides for instant recognition if charges are incorrect, thus allowing for immediate corrections.

4)  Reasonable interest rate (mine was a high limit with a 12.99% interest rate).   Not a big deal of me as I pay off my balance every month.

5)  Complete control over payments.  I simply set mine up to auto pay from my bank at the end of each month.   I don't incur any interest charges and I'm sent notifications well in advance so I can balance my bank statements.

6)  Very detailed (and very Apple designed) infographics on spending by category and retailer.   Also the info on the retailer is in plain english with business name, address, map, and contact info.  Very handy for looking back at what I purchased and from whom.

8)  Ties to my Apple Cash account, and of course there is the instant cash back features

9)  So far so good, I've made a couple of transactions and set up auto pay.  I will evaluate how this works for me (about 65% of all retailers in the US now accept Apple Pay/Card) to see if this is something I want to use long term.  But I know from experience that Apple Pay works extremely well and fast at checkout, especially using my Watch, so all of my Apple Pay will be done using this card going forward.

10)  Longer term I can see using this card (or something like it) to manage all of my payments (retail purchases, mortgage, other credit card balances (not available now), utilizes etc, etc) from a single source while I am mobile.
    1. Nearly all credit cards available today with EMV (chip) are equally as secure (data is encrypted when inserting your chip). Also, many people link their cards to Apple Pay and pay via NFC, which is also equally as secure. The instant number creation is not related to stolen Apple Cards. It is used for making purchases online. If your Apple Card is stolen, you must report it, freeze it, and request a new one. 

3. Nearly all credits cards today post your pending purchase in your account immediately, with the charged amount. Immediate corrections are not necessary (credit card payments are not due for a minimum of 30 days after payment. Reversal of fraudulent charges can typically be handled in that time frame).

6. Mint.com allows you to see your spending by category/retailer on ALL of your credit cards at one time. This is a significant advantage over the Apple Card because people are interested in their total spend, not just their spend on one individual card. Apple Card will NOT be able to be linked to any budgeting app (Mint, Quicken, etc) - a massive deal breaker.

Please show me a single card that combines all of these features
    As others have mentioned, the security features of the card are duplicated with pretty much any chip card, and with any card that goes through Apple Pay. All of my cards have customizable settings to give text and/or email notifications about things like large purchases, purchases for which the card wasn’t present (online,) payment due dates, etc. When I make a large purchase with my discover card, I get the text notification before I have a chance to sign the receipt/screen. 

Are you sure about that?
    My understanding is that whether it goes through ApplePay or not, the Applecard never actually gives out your credit card number.   Instead it is only a tokenized number that the vendor sees.   Conversely, chip cards and mag stripes both give out your actual card number -- plus a lot more.

It is for that reason that my main credit card company advised my to use Apple Pay in preference to using their chip card directly because, they said, it was safer.

Also, in terms of notififications and alerts:   I have all my cards set to alert me to any charge above $1.00.    My cards have been hacked twice -- and both times I caught them with the alert when I saw a charge I hadn't made.   But, both were for less than $30 -- one at an online store and the other at a gas station.   I think that is because most people, if they even reconcile their cards only look at the charges once a month on the statement and, a smallish charge, particularly for gas, will just get passed on -- so the criminal can keep using your card.
    I don't have an intricate knowledge of the systems, but my understanding is that with Apple Pay, the transaction uses a tokenized number, whether it's an Apple Card or any other card. As such, the security should be the same. 

If you are somewhere that doesn't accept Apple Pay, the protocol for a chip transaction should be exactly the same whether you use an Apple Card or another card, so again, the security should be the same.

If you are somewhere that doesn't have a chip reader (yes, they still exist)... well, you're SOL with the Apple Card but can use every other card. 

often times, when crooks get a 'hot' card number, they make a small purchase to test it out. Gas stations are convenient sites to do this. Even if they have surveillance cameras the chances of the credit card company actually taking the trouble to track them down are practically zero.
  • Reply 87 of 97
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    edit: Why even bother? If someone repeated lies they're either trolling or are incapable of being taught.
    edited August 2019 StrangeDays
  • Reply 88 of 97
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    shahhet2 said:
    2% cash back on NFC, 3% on all Apple products and services, no annual fee. Why wouldn’t I want to use it for my Apple Pay card?

That doesn’t mean I’ll use it for everything, of course. 

The interest rate is quite poor (24% for good credit), but I don’t plan to carry a balance. 
    At least 3 cards available today offer 2% cash back on NFC AND non-NFC purchases.

Apple products can often be found on Amazon at equal or lower price than Apple.com and paid with Amazon Credit Card for 5% back.

Itunes gift cards can easily be found online for at least 5% off.

So what's the advantage?
    What are the 2% cashback no fee cards?

I don’t buy my Apple gear from Amazon. Nor does that cover App Store, iTunes, iCloud, etc which are 3%. 

So the advantages for me are there. If you’re pretending I’m saying it’s the only card for everybody for all use cases, you’re being silly. 

It has been reported so many times and you are already aware of it.

Citi Double Cashbacks
    Fidelity Visa Signature
    Capital One Quick Silver

I am sure you will come back with item that is unique to apple card to make an argument. 
    Quick Silver - 1.5% cash back. 
    Citi Double - 1% at purchase, 1% later when paid. 
    Fidelity Visa - uses points. Rate is higher for unpaid balance than AC

None of cards also come with 3% on anything Apple (hardware, software, apps, services, cloud, rentals, music, etc), using them instead of AC for these use cases is losing money, and at best they’re no better for NFC uses, which is my primary use case.

And as other have mentioned, currency conversion rates are higher. 

Just get over the butthurt — no one card is perfect for everyone or every use case. For many of us, the AC is a good choice for our use cases. 
    No one here is butthurt besides you. Time and time again people, especially a select few here, have touted the AC as some type of game-changer with revolutionary features, when that simply could not be further from the truth. With each supposed revolutionary feature of the AC, many have provided other examples of cards that exceed the value of the those features. And when it is pointed out, the insecure defensiveness from the AC apologists immediately come out full force and refuse to accept that having the AC does not provide any added benefit that other card(s) already provide today.
    Nah the butthurt is clearly you bros, desperate to prove that your own cards are the better cards for everyone for all use cases, when that is just fucking stupid. 

I never claimed AC was “revolutionary”, that’s just a strawman you pulled out of your ass and attributed to me now. Thwack thwack! Take that, strawman!

Nobody has shown me a card that beats my use cases — 2% as my Apple Pay daily driver, 3% on everything Apple, of which I have and do many, and no fees (including currency conversion). 

Get over the butthurt, son. 
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 89 of 97
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

Notsofast said:

2% cash back on NFC, 3% on all Apple products and services, no annual fee. Why wouldn’t I want to use it for my Apple Pay and Apple ID/iTunes card?

The interest rate is quite poor (24% for good credit), but I don’t plan to carry a balance. 
    LOL.  You've been reading some fake news.  The rate is about half that for good credit. You're quoting the maximum rate for people with the weakest credit.
    Nope. That’s what their offer to me said in black and white. I have solid “good” credit (700s) but they gave me a sub-prime rate. Like I said I like the card and its features, but it’s not perfect. (Trollbois are having difficulty with this position)
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 90 of 97
    Rayz2016 said:
    Soli said:
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Soli said:
    emoeller said:

OMG! Still trolling with the same lies. Pathetic.
    Which of the 9 points are a lie?  Because they all seem correct to me…
    The very first point, for starters, but why should I bought when in 2019 you can't understand how a system that uses a secure backend to create a referential and tokenized card number to use with a digital device that is tied to your bank account by your bank, which stores your credentials on a local a secure element, and then uses a required passcode to access the device before allowing a secure biometric to allow you to use the referential, tokenized card is inherently more secure than a physical card that anyone can use simply by having it their possession there there's absolutely nothing I can tell that will make you understand how they are not "equally as secure."
    Have you noticed how the arguments against this card are exactly the same as those railed against every single piece of Apple kit ever made?

Here’s the process:

1. Read the list of Apple advantages. 
    2. Run off and find a piece of kit which matches EXACTLY ONE advantage of the Apple kit. Repeat process for every item in the list. 
    3. List all the kit that when combined will match or exceed the Apple advantages. 

I’m always impressed at the lengths folk will go to create a false equivalence. 
    No, not for me.   I was planning on not only getting one but making it my main card -- till I found out that it does not support Quicken transaction downloads.   For me, that's a requirement.  

I may still get one and use it for iTunes where the number of transactions are limited so I can enter and reconcile everything manually without too much excess work.
    Actually, for me, the biggest appeal was that Apple may be opening the door to future fintech products so I wanted to get involved mostly to stay on top of things.
    The ability to connect the account to a spreadsheet/accounting program would seem like a minimum requirement these days. Apple/GS needs to get on that.
    MplsPGeorgeBMacchemengin1
  • Reply 91 of 97
    shahhet2shahhet2 Posts: 149member
    shahhet2 said:
    2% cash back on NFC, 3% on all Apple products and services, no annual fee. Why wouldn’t I want to use it for my Apple Pay card?

At least 3 cards available today offer 2% cash back on NFC AND non-NFC purchases.

Apple products can often be found on Amazon at equal or lower price than Apple.com and paid with Amazon Credit Card for 5% back.

Itunes gift cards can easily be found online for at least 5% off.

So what's the advantage?
    What are the 2% cashback no fee cards?

I don’t buy my Apple gear from Amazon. Nor does that cover App Store, iTunes, iCloud, etc which are 3%. 

So the advantages for me are there. If you’re pretending I’m saying it’s the only card for everybody for all use cases, you’re being silly. 

It has been reported so many times and you are already aware of it.

Citi Double Cashbacks
    Fidelity Visa Signature
    Capital One Quick Silver

I am sure you will come back with item that is unique to apple card to make an argument. 
    Quick Silver - 1.5% cash back. 
    Citi Double - 1% at purchase, 1% later when paid. 
    Fidelity Visa - uses points. Rate is higher for unpaid balance than AC

None of cards also come with 3% on anything Apple (hardware, software, apps, services, cloud, rentals, music, etc), using them instead of AC for these use cases is losing money, and at best they’re no better for NFC uses, which is my primary use case.

And as other have mentioned, currency conversion rates are higher. 

Just get over the butthurt — no one card is perfect for everyone or every use case. For many of us, the AC is a good choice for our use cases. 
    Fidelity 2% rewards can be deposited back to account for cahsback.
    Citi Double cashabck makes you wait for the payment, so what difference does it makes?
    Oh right you don't have any valid point left to argue so you come with silly point like you have to wait till you make payment. 

On top both card gives $150 sign up bonus, oh wait...that doesn't count , right?
    That's $15,000 of Apple purchase to counter additional 1% cashback benefit on Apple product.

I have mentioned enough benefit in past that these cards have and Apple card doesn't have and if you are smart enough, you can look at them yourself.   But to counter any fanboy, that's out of question. Fanboys will keep bringing only benefit that apple card can have, all other benefits unique to other cards are moot for them. 
    edited August 2019 chemengin1
  • Reply 92 of 97
    shahhet2shahhet2 Posts: 149member
    Soli said:
    edit: Why even bother? If someone repeated lies they're either trolling or are incapable of being taught.
    Still not replied to my comment on Tokenization, so is it their lies or what you are saying is lie?
    chemengin1
  • Reply 93 of 97
    Soli said:
    I'll respond to your initial post, not the sarcastic edit....

I've never seen any mention of a magnetic strip. I just watched Apple's video again, nothing there. I just watched MacRumor's unboxing "everything you need to know" video and no mention there. If it has one, then I stand corrected on my "SOL" statement, but contrary to your assertion, it hasn't been clearly mentioned in every article. Even watching the few shots that show the back of the card, it's not immediately clear that there's a magnetic stripe.

After some google searching, I found out that the card number is indeed stored on the magnetic stripe, so even though it's not printed on the card, it is stored on it. Don't get me wrong, this is still a safer setup than with most cards, but card skimmers are very easy to come by, so it's very possible for the card info to get stolen that way. The same site also explained that when you look up the numbers in the app (i.e. to enter on a web site,) they are actually virtual account numbers, not the actual account number. I've had other cards that use this system, but it was much more cumbersome; this is a very nice/convenient way of implementing virtual account numbers. My only complaint would be I couldn't use it with one password to auto-fill forms. I also assume that the numbers don't expire, so if I give a number to auto-pay my cell phone bill it would continue to work after the next month. 

The other advantage of this system is that if a vendor gets hacked, only the one virtual number is compromised, not your entire card. I use one card for all my recurring charges (and nothing else,) but I still need to contact each vendor individually if the account gets hacked.

muthuk_vanalingamchemengin1
  • Reply 94 of 97

Notsofast said:

2% cash back on NFC, 3% on all Apple products and services, no annual fee. Why wouldn’t I want to use it for my Apple Pay and Apple ID/iTunes card?

LOL.  You've been reading some fake news.  The rate is about half that for good credit. You're quoting the maximum rate for people with the weakest credit.
    Nope. That’s what their offer to me said in black and white. I have solid “good” credit (700s) but they gave me a sub-prime rate. Like I said I like the card and its features, but it’s not perfect. (Trollbois are having difficulty with this position)
    The offered rates seem to be all over the place, from what I’ve seen and not necessarily corresponding to the credit scores. If you use a credit car properly, you pay it off every month, so the rate doesn’t matter, but still...
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 95 of 97

Goldman Sachs: so your wanting to see your monthly statements correct?

Me: No. I want to download a report with the transactions listed.

Goldman Sachs: At this time the only way to view your statements is in your Wallet. Downloading is not supported at this time.

Me: That needs to fixed. Cannot analyze transactions without downloading a report. Especially entering the data in Quicken.

Goldman Sachs: I can get your feedback over to my team for review. I do apologize about the inconvenience.

Me: Cannot set up an account in Quicken for the Apple credit card

Goldman Sachs: I do apologize , but at this moment we do not support Quicken.

Me: That is unfortunate. We use Quicken to track our credit card and cash transactions.

Goldman Sachs: I understand your frustration, but I will get with my team and hopefully we will support in the future.

Me: Thank you. That is a major oversight.

Bottom line: The Apple credit card is pretty useless insofar as using its data.

• Reply 96 of 97
    wood1208 said:
    Those asking question if Apple card is better than rest in which areas of cash back,flexibility,benefits,charges, etc should read plenty analysis available on internet. Put some efforts than asking others.
    I’m not interested in any credit card from anyone but I am interested, in a kind of morbid way, in why someone else thinks that this is a good deal. Even if it’s a total fantasy land trip people who are signing up for this card must think something about it is worthwhile, and since people have already been accepted some of those people must have above average financial credit scores.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 97 of 97
    Honestly? I really like the clean look, and heft of the physical card.  The application and activation process is pretty slick and the transaction analyzer on the Wallet app is fascinating.  I also get 3% cash back on my iTunes and iCloud Drive subscriptions.  It's free so why the hell not?  

I couldn't care less about the interest rate (12.99%) as I pay off my bills every month.  I couldn't care less about the inability to export transactions to Mint/Quicken (I actually wonder why people think it safe to share all of their financial login information with Mint, but I digress).  

I get that it's just another credit card.  I have other cards with better rewards (e.g. AMEX) but this won't replace them.  What I don't understand is all the hate  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Soli