Apple releases sixth developer beta of macOS 10.15 Catalina [u]

Posted:
in macOS edited August 2019
Continuing the newest round of developer betas for its milestone operating systems, Apple has provided participants of its beta program with a new sixth build of macOS 10.15 Catalina for testing.

The new build can be dowloaded alongside others in the test program from the Apple Developer Center by participants in the scheme, or as a software update for Macs already enrolled in the beta program. Those taking part in the public Apple Beta Software Program will typically gain access to its own build very shortly after the developer variant is distributed.

As with the fifth developer beta, macOS Catalina lags behind the other OS beta releases. In the fourth beta round, Catalina was in fact provided one day ahead of iOS 13, iPadOS 13, tvOS 13, and watchOS 6.

It is also behind the other operating systems in terms of generation, as iOS 13, iPadOS 13, tvOS 13, and watchOS 6 are all on their seventh betas.

Both AppleInsider, and Apple itself, strongly suggest users avoid installing the betas on to "mission-critical" or primary devices, as there is a very small possibility of data loss, or other issues. Instead, testers should install betas onto secondary or non-essential devices, and to ensure there are sufficient backups of important data before updating.

Find any changes in the new betas? Reach out to us on Twitter at @AppleInsider or @Andrew_OSU, or send Andrew an email at [email protected].

Update: Apple has also released a public beta version of macOS 10.15 Catalina.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Has Apple set an record yet of most betas released in a year? 34 betas?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Has Apple set an record yet of most betas released in a year? 34 betas?
    And yet there will still be people who say Apple didn't do enough testing...
    gilly33
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Now if they could only get that new version of Xcode 11 beta 6 out.  Ugh, two weeks still nothing.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Will any Apple apps and iCloud work this time round?  None of mine have since Public Beta 1.  To be fair to Apple it did ask for further files following a feedback submission. 
  • Reply 6 of 11
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    Public beta also available.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    I always have to remind myself that most of the people here do not work in the software (development) industry, and a lot fewer who have ever worked where they build operating systems. Just an FYI: an OS in development will get daily builds and sometimes more. Betas are sent out for some on a weekly basis. Does no one remember the old days of MSDN? Remote logins for partner builds? Seriously!!!! its frustrating for people to make fun, or otherwise ridicule processes that are pretty standard across the industry. (sorry - taking off the thin skin hat now... just thought it might help)
  • Reply 8 of 11
    ipilya said:
    I always have to remind myself that most of the people here do not work in the software (development) industry, and a lot fewer who have ever worked where they build operating systems. Just an FYI: an OS in development will get daily builds and sometimes more. Betas are sent out for some on a weekly basis. Does no one remember the old days of MSDN? Remote logins for partner builds? Seriously!!!! its frustrating for people to make fun, or otherwise ridicule processes that are pretty standard across the industry. (sorry - taking off the thin skin hat now... just thought it might help)
    I was pointing out the unprecedented number of OS’s Apple is juggling.  

Apple has a pretty good record vs Microsoft in not breaking things...of course Microsoft has millions more legacy applications running on Windows.  Hardware compatibility issues might be even worse for Microsoft...

I think the unprecedented number (of betas) by Apple is result of the services push/unification across the platforms.  Also, making iOS apps work on MacOS and iPad OS.  I suspect Apple is trying go live with all the new versions of the OS’s at the same time.  That must be crazy challenging, and stressful if their target is the Christmas buying season.
    gilly33
  • Reply 9 of 11
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member
    ipilya said:
    I was pointing out the unprecedented number of OS’s Apple is juggling.  

Apple has a pretty good record vs Microsoft in not breaking things...of course Microsoft has millions more legacy applications running on Windows.  Hardware compatibility issues might be even worse for Microsoft...

I think the unprecedented number (of betas) by Apple is result of the services push/unification across the platforms.  Also, making iOS apps work on MacOS and iPad OS.  I suspect Apple is trying go live with all the new versions of the OS’s at the same time.  That must be crazy challenging, and stressful if their target is the Christmas buying season.
    There is nothing unprecedented about what Apple is doing in terms of builds or releases. For mature software development organizations that have a reasonably good Continuous Integration process backed by a decent level of DevOps and automated regression testing - cranking out new builds and releases is not nearly as expensive or time consuming as it was 5, 10, or 20 years ago. This not to say that it's not complex and it still requires a great deal of control and precision, but a lot of the error-prone manual processes and crappy tools and disassociated IT support infrastructure have been put to rest by smart companies like Apple. It's really no different than Apple's design, productization, industrialization, and manufacturing on the hardware side - it all has to work at an extreme scale and with a degree of precision that would instantly choke lesser companies out of business. People who don't work in product development that crosses as many disciplines as Apple's does have little appreciation for how well Apple is able to execute at the level they do, year in and year out. Innovation is not just about memoji and FaceId, process innovation contributes a great deal to Apple's success. The real question isn't why so many betas, but why so few other companies are able to push out dozens of betas leading up to the simultaneous releases of new OS versions on multiple platforms and still maintain progress, pass quality gates, add remarkable new features, and still hit their final release targets with very good predictability. 
  • Reply 10 of 11
    yungdai said:
    Now if they could only get that new version of Xcode 11 beta 6 out.  Ugh, two weeks still nothing.
    It's out. See the Applications Icon? Click on it.
    edited August 2019 fastasleep
  • Reply 11 of 11
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    I was just able to install build 19A536g on my MacBook Pro 15,4 (13-inch, 2019, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports).