Apple Card is now accepting applications in the United States

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2019
Apple on Tuesday officially launched Apple Card, its branded credit card created in partnership with Goldman Sachs, with customers in the United States now able to apply from their iPhones without an invitation, and use their account the same day once accepted.

Initially announced in March, Apple Card is the iPhone maker's long-awaited credit card that is deeply integrated with the Wallet app. This integration enables Apple and Goldman Sachs to offer features that other cards are simply not able to provide, and with a level of immediacy that hasn't been offered before by a credit facility.

"We're thrilled with the overwhelming interest in Apple Card and its positive reception," said Jennifer Bailey, Apple's vice president of Apple Pay on Tuesday morning. "Customers have told us they love Apple Card's simplicity and how it gives them a better view of their spending."

Apple Card is extending 3 percent Daily Cash to more merchants and apps. Starting on Tuesday, customers will receive 3 percent Daily Cash when they use Apple Card with Apple Pay for Uber and Uber Eats.

Users can apply for Apple Card though the Wallet app, with the applications able to be approved the same day, depending on financial and credit status. Once approved, the card is available to use straight away as it will be added to the user's Wallet app and is available for Apple Pay transactions.

To qualify for the card, holders must have "an Apple ID associated with an iCloud account that is in good standing with Apple" and turn on two-factor authentication for that ID.

You have to have an iPhone, too, as this can't as yet be done via iPad. As with other credit cards, you also have to be over 18 and a U.S. citizen or lawful resident.

To apply for the card:
  • Open the Wallet app.

• Tap the + symbol in the top-right corner.

• Tap Apple Card, then Continue.

• Enter your name, date of birth, email address, and phone number, then tap Next.

• Review the offer of credit limit and APR from Goldman Sachs, then tap Accept Apple Card.

• On the Card Added screen, tap Continue to add it to Apple Pay on your devices.
A physical titanium credit card is dispatched to customers within a few days of application, but while it has the same physical shape and can be used for transactions outside the scope of Apple Pay's NFC, it won't have card numbers or other identifying information on the card itself, aside from company logos and the customer's name.

The Wallet app will offer management options to make it easier to maintain the Apple Card's balance, including detailed summaries of where the card has been used, and analysis of weekly and monthly spending habits. To encourage users to pay off their balances quicker, the app will offer different levels of payment that a user could make to reduce what they owe, advising of how much interest will be charged depending on the selected payment scheme.

On first opening an account, cardholders will be charged between 12.99% and 24.24% annually on purchases depending on their credit. Interest is avoided by paying the balance by the monthly due date.

As well as by offering advanced functions via the app, the card also aims to attract by not charging late, annual, international, or overlimit fees, as well as competitive interest rates. There are also Daily Cash rewards that pay consumers cashback between 1% and 3% for using their Apple Card, with the bonus funds available the next day in a separate Daily Cash account within the Wallet.

There are some subjects that Apple Card will restrict, such as cryptocurrency purchases. While a "Required Device" with a digital card isn't necessary to retain after signing up, accounts may be closed in the future without one. Accounts used with jailbroken devices also face the prospect of being booted form the service.

Apple is also planning to launch Apple Card in other countries following the US launch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    j2fusionj2fusion Posts: 153member
    Done! Took 3 minutes. 
    jahbladesuperkloton
  • Reply 2 of 51
    I got an invitation last week and have been happy with it 3% on apple services and purchases yea please, payment isn’t due until end of September. I haven’t tried all the reports and features and i only plan on using this card when apple pay is available. 
    razorpitsuperkloton
  • Reply 3 of 51
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    For those who have a freeze on their credit report and are interested in applying, it appears Apple/GS uses TransUnion

See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209218 (2nd to last bullet point in the ‘Requirements’ section)

SpamSandwichlostkiwi
  • Reply 4 of 51
    I went to Wallet, signed up and got the account in 2 minutes while waiting for the subway. Super fast and easy!
    superkloton
  • Reply 5 of 51
    I got my card in the mail yesterday. It truly is gorgeous!   Easy to activate.  I just wonder how long it will take to scratch up that white surface which will make it look like a piece of junk. 
    superkloton
  • Reply 6 of 51
    MikeEMikeE Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Got it. $20k and 12.99%. 
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 7 of 51
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I got my card in the mail yesterday. It truly is gorgeous!   Easy to activate.  I just wonder how long it will take to scratch up that white surface which will make it look like a piece of junk. 
    Received mine yesterday as well. Didn't open it yet. I thought it was titanium/silver?
  • Reply 8 of 51
    got a 24% interest rate when I have 730 credit score. But I am not sure how they got that info since my credit is frozen? Declined the offer
  • Reply 9 of 51
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    I was able to activate the Apple Card a couple of days before I received an email from Apple granting me preview access. 

Activation was quick, and I received acceptance from GS in a couple of seconds. 

But, there was more to do. On my phone I added the Apple Card to Payment & Shipping section in Setup. There are some bugs, anomalies here? I already had a Visa credit card listed as the default payment card for iTunes, iCloud, etc. I added the Apple Card, not replacing the Visa card, and placed the Apple Card first in the list. According to the default payment methods note the card at the top, which I my case should be the Apple Card, should be charged by default. However, the Payment & Shipping line still shows the default card to be the Visa card. 

Apple has yet to charge the monthly fee for iCloud or anything else, so I haven't verified if the Apple Card or the Visa card is charged by Apple. But, it's still the case that the Payment & Shipping line still reads Visa. 

The Apple Card is automatically added to my Apple Watch, and I've used it to buy coffee at EVP. These few transactions appear quickly on the card in the wallet, and I receive "immediate" confirmation of a purchase on my Apple Watch. I've had to add these transactions manually to Quicken. 

Important questions remain. Do I now have an account at Goldman-Sachs? Yes, must be the obvious answer, but has or can GS link the Apple Card account to or an account/login there?  I haven't contacted GS yet. At that point, we'll see if GS allows these transactions to be downloaded into Quicken. Routine use of Apple Card really requires that capability. 
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 10 of 51
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    If you're still not getting the correct prompt in Wallet when you tap (+) because you're on an iOS 13 beta you can use this link:

• Reply 11 of 51
    Public application available in U.S. today. Took :60 to get it. Like downloading an app or subscribing to a new service in the Apple Ecosystem.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Got mine approved in like 10 seconds. And it automatically changed my iTunes/App Store billing to Apple Card. The UX with this is really nice. 
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 13 of 51

This is a transcript of two "conversations" with Goldman Sachs.

Goldman Sachs: so your (sic) wanting to see your monthly statements correct?

Me: No. I want to download a report with the transactions listed.

Goldman Sachs: At this time the only way to view your statements is in your Wallet. Downloading is not supported at this time.

Me: That needs to fixed. Cannot analyze transactions without downloading a report. Especially entering the data in Quicken.

Goldman Sachs: I can get your feedback over to my team for review. I do apologize about the inconvenience.

Me: Cannot set up an account in Quicken for the Apple credit card

Goldman Sachs: I do apologize , but at this moment we do not support Quicken.

Me: That is unfortunate. We use Quicken to track our credit card and cash transactions.

Goldman Sachs: I understand your frustration, but I will get with my team and hopefully we will support in the future.

Me: Thank you. That is a major oversight.

Bottom line: The Apple credit card is pretty useless insofar as using its data.

MplsPdavgregJWSC
  • Reply 14 of 51
    I got declined. Trans union is the worst credit score company. They said my credit score was 686, but my experion credit score is 730. Also my advantage score is 703 as is my FICO score. My annual income is over 93k. So much for computer credit check processing. I will not be applying again. 
  • Reply 15 of 51
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    got a 24% interest rate when I have 730 credit score. But I am not sure how they got that info since my credit is frozen? Declined the offer
    Likewise, solid "good" credit, sub-prime offer.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    Can you have an authorized user (spouse) on the same card/account? Currently my wife and I use the same Amazon Prime account number, cards in each of our names. I'm not interested in managing two separate accounts, as I do all the finances...
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 17 of 51
    I got declined. Trans union is the worst credit score company. They said my credit score was 686, but my experion credit score is 730. Also my advantage score is 703 as is my FICO score. My annual income is over 93k. So much for computer credit check processing. I will not be applying again. 
    I was initially  turned down because there was a "credit freeze" on my account. I went to the TransUnion site and had a "temporary" lift on my account. Something else went wrong (I forgot what). It took a few tries to get it done, but I finally succeeded.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 611member

This is a transcript of two "conversations" with Goldman Sachs.

Goldman Sachs: so your (sic) wanting to see your monthly statements correct?

Me: No. I want to download a report with the transactions listed.

Goldman Sachs: At this time the only way to view your statements is in your Wallet. Downloading is not supported at this time.

Me: That needs to fixed. Cannot analyze transactions without downloading a report. Especially entering the data in Quicken.

Goldman Sachs: I can get your feedback over to my team for review. I do apologize about the inconvenience.

Me: Cannot set up an account in Quicken for the Apple credit card

Goldman Sachs: I do apologize , but at this moment we do not support Quicken.

Me: That is unfortunate. We use Quicken to track our credit card and cash transactions.

Goldman Sachs: I understand your frustration, but I will get with my team and hopefully we will support in the future.

Me: Thank you. That is a major oversight.

Bottom line: The Apple credit card is pretty useless insofar as using its data.

Do you really think anyone cares about your needs? Your exchange went right into the ether and no one is losing sleep. It something does not meet your requirements then don’t get it and find something that does.  I reason to broadcast your demands. 

• Reply 19 of 51
     So I just got my card today, but why is it white? I thought it was going to be titanium silver. In white, it really just looks like every other credit card.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    Got mine approved in like 10 seconds. And it automatically changed my iTunes/App Store billing to Apple Card. The UX with this is really nice. 
    The interface seems very intuitive. Will be using the card at a college bookstore that sells apple products and accepts apple pay. Curious  if cash back reward will be 2 or 3 percent.