Apple Card is now accepting applications in the United States

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    MplsP said:
    For those who have a freeze on their credit report and are interested in applying, it appears Apple/GS uses TransUnion

See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209218 (2nd to last bullet point in the ‘Requirements’ section)

TransUnion really seems to be the most competently run of the credit reporting agencies and they don’t charge to freeze and unfreeze your account, which is terrific. Experian, on the other hand, should be bankrupt.
  • Reply 22 of 51
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Application took less than 5 minutes.  Approved at 17.99%.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 23 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    PhillyJim said:
     So I just got my card today, but why is it white? I thought it was going to be titanium silver. In white, it really just looks like every other credit card.
    Name some all-white credit cards. I’m not aware of any.
  • Reply 24 of 51
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    MikeE said:
    Got it. $20k and 12.99%. 
    I’m envious.  You must have impeccable credit.
  • Reply 25 of 51
    Whole process took <2 minutes.  Approved with $30k limit at 12.99%.  Anyone get a higher limit?  Curious what the highest limit offered will be.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 26 of 51
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I have have a feeling Apple/GS will be supporting apps like Mint/Quicken very soon. Better yet I’d love it if the wallet app allowed you to bring in other financial data so you could use it to track all your finances. I use Mint. It’s OK but I’m sure Apple could do just as good if not better.
    MplsPlostkiwi
  • Reply 27 of 51
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Whole process took <2 minutes.  Approved with $30k limit at 12.99%.  Anyone get any higher limit?  Curious what the highest limited offered will be.
    The highest limit is at least $50k.
    libertykrs
  • Reply 28 of 51
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    After all the reading and banter the last couple weeks, this is my ‘skinny’ on the Apple Card:
    • Easy to apply for via the app.
    • No annual fee - with rare exceptions, you shouldn’t be paying a fee on your cards anyway.
    • No foreign transaction fees - I could find no information on the exchange rate, though. This benefit could be wiped out by a cruddy exchange rate.
    • no late fees - appears to be unique in this regard
    • Rates: 13~24% - reasonable but nothing you can’t get with other cards. A lot of reports of people with pretty good credit getting mediocre rates. If you’re worried about the rates, you probably shouldn’t be getting a credit card anyway. Focus on your finances instead.
    • Clearly shows how much interest you’ll be paying when making a payment. Most cards tend to hide this, or at least make it less than clear. As I mentioned above, though, you should really be paying your balance in full every month anyway.
    • 3% cash back on purchase from Apple, 2% on Apple Pay purchases, 1% on everything else. Credits given daily. Good rebate rates. There are other cards with similar rates, but not a lot of them
    • All card management is done via the wallet app on your phone. Support is via text message, or telephone if you lose your iphone. Reports I’ve seen of tech support have been variable, sometimes being prompt, sometimes being slow or unable to help.
    • There is no ability to download transactions to financial software like Quicken/Mint, Moneydance or Banktivity. There is also no ability to download statements, although it’s rumored to be coming.
    • The wallet app will categorize your spending and the card changes color according to your spending. As one article I read commented, though, for most people this will end up being a rainbow of colors anyway. Unless you have all your spending on one card this is of limited value and the incompatibility with financial software means you won’t be able to get a global look.
    • The card has a chip and your name but no printed numbers for security. If you need your number for an online purchase, you can get a virtual number from the wallet app. I can’t tell, but it appears that this is a single virtual number that doesn’t change unless you change it.
    • The true card number is stored on the magnetic strip which would theoretically be at risk for skimming. 
    • If you think your virtual account number is compromised you can instantly get a new virtual number in the wallet app. Apple has been mum on the ‘real’ account number. I’m guessing that you would need a new physical card if that got compromised.
    • No cash advances as far as I can tell.
    • Allows you to see the exact location of a transaction on a map - a very convenient feature.

Apple touts the security features of the Apple Card, but the only real differences I could find were the lack of a number on the card and the virtual account numbers in the app. The ease if using the virtual account numbers is refreshing, but the other security benefits would apply to any card you use with Apple Pay or with chip transactions. Ditto if you use Apple Pay online.

Financially, the lack of fees is nice, but for most users shouldn’t matter. Apple could easily have wiped out other benefits by charging fees, so I do give props to Apple for not doing what many other card issuers do. The financial benefits of the card are limited to whatever cash back bonus you get from the Apple Card above what you can get from your current card and possibly foreign transaction fees.

The lack of foreign transaction fees may or may not be a benefit but there are no other services (rental car insurance, trip insurance, etc) that many other cards have, so again, you may or may not realize a benefit here.

The lack of ability to download to financial software is a major inconvenience drawback for many people. 

So after all the reading I’ve done, I would conclude that the Apple Card is a decent card  with a few unique features and some nice benefits and a few drawbacks as well. Financially, some people will see a benefit, but it really depends. It’s not a slam dunk, but like everything you need to look at your situation.
    edited August 2019 StrangeDaysGG1
  • Reply 29 of 51
    richsrichs Posts: 13member
    Can’t verify ID with NYS Enhanced license.

Called customer support and was told that there’s a problem with reading the enhanced NYS license info and would have to wait for a software update. I’m very annoyed, to say the least.
  • Reply 30 of 51
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    jimh2 said:

This is a transcript of two "conversations" with Goldman Sachs.

Goldman Sachs: so your (sic) wanting to see your monthly statements correct?

Me: No. I want to download a report with the transactions listed.

Goldman Sachs: At this time the only way to view your statements is in your Wallet. Downloading is not supported at this time.

Me: That needs to fixed. Cannot analyze transactions without downloading a report. Especially entering the data in Quicken.

Goldman Sachs: I can get your feedback over to my team for review. I do apologize about the inconvenience.

Me: Cannot set up an account in Quicken for the Apple credit card

Goldman Sachs: I do apologize , but at this moment we do not support Quicken.

Me: That is unfortunate. We use Quicken to track our credit card and cash transactions.

Goldman Sachs: I understand your frustration, but I will get with my team and hopefully we will support in the future.

Me: Thank you. That is a major oversight.

Bottom line: The Apple credit card is pretty useless insofar as using its data.

Do you really think anyone cares about your needs? Your exchange went right into the ether and no one is losing sleep. It something does not meet your requirements then don’t get it and find something that does.  I reason to broadcast your demands. 
    do you really think that you are qualified to judge what other people care about? (well, by your post, it's evident you do)

Many people use quicken and/or want the ability to download their transactions, so knowing that they can't is very relevant. The fact that you don't is irrelevant.

I have have a feeling Apple/GS will be supporting apps like Mint/Quicken very soon. Better yet I’d love it if the wallet app allowed you to bring in other financial data so you could use it to track all your finances. I use Mint. It’s OK but I’m sure Apple could do just as good if not better.
    I would hope so. I've seen rumors that they will allow transaction downloads. Like I said above, if you have more than one card, tracking transaction categories is worthless unless you can track across all of your accounts.

davgreg
  • Reply 31 of 51
    JWSC said:
    MikeE said:
    Got it. $20k and 12.99%. 
    I’m envious.  You must have impeccable credit.
    I got the same offer.  My credit score is around 830.  Sometimes it's good to be stable and middle aged.
    davgreg
  • Reply 32 of 51
    Has anyone been able to activate their Apple Card for Apple Pay on MacOS?  I was surprised that it wasn't recognized automatically or have a special option for adding the Apple Card.  I was also surprised when I got an error message when I manually entered the CC number (something about the provider not being eligible).  Seems like a very odd oversight with the Apple Card now being open to the general public.  I asked about this on the Apple Card support forum and didn't get much of a response.  Does it work for anyone else?
  • Reply 33 of 51
    MplsP said:
    After all the reading and banter the last couple weeks, this is my ‘skinny’ on the Apple Card:
    • No annual fee - with rare exceptions, you shouldn’t be paying a fee on your cards anyway.
    • No foreign transaction fees - I could find no information on the exchange rate, though. This benefit could be wiped out by a cruddy exchange rate.
    • Rates: 13~24% - reasonable but nothing you can’t get with other cards. A lot of reports of people with pretty good credit getting mediocre rates. If you’re worried about the rates, you probably shouldn’t be getting a credit card anyway. Focus on your finances instead.
    • Clearly shows how much interest you’ll be paying when making a payment. Most cards tend to hide this, or at least make it less than clear. As I mentioned above, though, you should really be paying your balance in full every month anyway.
    • 3% cash back on purchase from Apple, 2% on Apple Pay purchases, 1% on everything else. Credits given daily. Good rebate rates. There are other cards with similar rates, but not a lot of them
    • All card management is done via the wallet app on your phone. Support is via text message, or telephone if you lose your iphone. Reports I’ve seen of tech support have been variable, sometimes being prompt, sometimes being slow or unable to help.
    • There is no ability to download transactions to financial software like Quicken/Mint, Moneydance or Banktivity. There is also no ability to download statements, although it’s rumored to be coming.
    • The wallet app will categorize your spending and the card changes color according to your spending. As one article I read commented, though, for most people this will end up being a rainbow of colors anyway. Unless you have all your spending on one card this is of limited value and the incompatibility with financial software means you won’t be able to get a global look.
    • The card has a chip and your name but no printed numbers for security. If you need your number for an online purchase, you can get a virtual number from the wallet app. I can’t tell, but it appears that this is a single virtual number that doesn’t change unless you change it.
    • The true card number is stored on the magnetic strip which would theoretically be at risk for skimming. 
    • If you think your virtual account number is compromised you can instantly get a new virtual number in the wallet app. Apple has been mum on the ‘real’ account number. I’m guessing that you would need a new physical card if that got compromised.
    • Allows you to see the exact location of a transaction on a map - a very convenient feature.

Apple touts the security features of the Apple Card, but the only real differences I could find were the lack of a number on the card and the virtual account numbers in the app. The ease if using the virtual account numbers is refreshing, but the other security benefits would apply to any card you use with Apple Pay or with chip transactions. Ditto if you use Apple Pay online.

Financially, the lack of fees is nice, but for most users shouldn’t matter. Apple could easily have wiped out other benefits by charging fees, so I do give props to Apple for not doing what many other card issuers do. The financial benefits of the card are limited to whatever cash back bonus you get from the Apple Card above what you can get from your current card and possibly foreign transaction fees.

The lack of foreign transaction fees may or may not be a benefit but there are no other services (rental car insurance, trip insurance, etc) that many other cards have, so again, you may or may not realize a benefit here.

The lack of ability to download to financial software is a major inconvenience drawback for many people. 

So after all the reading I’ve done, I would conclude that the Apple Card is a decent card  with a few unique features and some nice benefits and a few drawbacks as well. Financially, some people will see a benefit, but it really depends. It’s not a slam dunk, but like everything you need to look at your situation.
    Solid summary based also upon reading/participating in the banter over the past few weeks. To echo a few of your points..
    • Late fess/interest rate should be irrelevant to anyone signing up for a credit card. Paying in full every month = no concern about rates/fess. If you are paying any interest or late fees whatsoever, you have no business having a credit card, but instead need to focus on improving your personal finances and spending.
    • No foreign transaction fee is great, but you would be a fool to use this card for any international travel related purchases (airfare, rental car, etc). Other cards offer CRITICAL benefits, such as trip cancellation/delay insurance, PRIMARY rental car collision insurance, lost luggage insurance, travel accident insurance, etc, etc that I do not see Apple Card offering anywhere close to this.
    • Unless you are using the Apple Card for ALL purchases, the purchase categorizing feature is useless. For most of us, we use Quicken or Mint to combine ALL of our accounts to see a holistic view of all of our spending by category. The inability to link Apple Card to Quicken/Mint is a critical deal-breaker.
    • Cash back - well..this has been debated ad nauseum recently, but I would like to point out that the official PayPal store on eBay is currently selling iTunes gift cards (can be used for app store purchases, services, etc) for 25% off.
  • Reply 34 of 51
    PhillyJim said:
     So I just got my card today, but why is it white? I thought it was going to be titanium silver. In white, it really just looks like every other credit card.
    Titanium silver will make it look like the Amex platinum...
  • Reply 35 of 51
    Has anyone been able to activate their Apple Card for Apple Pay on MacOS?  I was surprised that it wasn't recognized automatically or have a special option for adding the Apple Card.  I was also surprised when I got an error message when I manually entered the CC number (something about the provider not being eligible).  Seems like a very odd oversight with the Apple Card now being open to the general public.  I asked about this on the Apple Card support forum and didn't get much of a response.  Does it work for anyone else?
    It was a cinch? I updated the software to the latest version of macOS. (Also, I have the MBP with TouchID, so not sure if that matters or not.)
  • Reply 36 of 51
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    Got mine approved in like 10 seconds. And it automatically changed my iTunes/App Store billing to Apple Card. The UX with this is really nice. 
    The interface seems very intuitive. Will be using the card at a college bookstore that sells apple products and accepts apple pay. Curious  if cash back reward will be 2 or 3 percent.
    It will be 2%. 
  • Reply 37 of 51

thrang said:
    Can you have an authorized user (spouse) on the same card/account? Currently my wife and I use the same Amazon Prime account number, cards in each of our names. I'm not interested in managing two separate accounts, as I do all the finances...
    Not at this time.
  • Reply 38 of 51
    MplsP said:

Solid summary based also upon reading/participating in the banter over the past few weeks. To echo a few of your points..
    • Late fess/interest rate should be irrelevant to anyone signing up for a credit card. Paying in full every month = no concern about rates/fess. If you are paying any interest or late fees whatsoever, you have no business having a credit card, but instead need to focus on improving your personal finances and spending.
    Nice dogma land you live in. Totally bogus, of course. I ran a small business for many years and ended up having to put a lot of costs on credit during the hard times. Such is life, and it doesn't mean I have no business having or utilizing credit. To the contrary, that is the entire purpose of the service of credit. What virtue signalers like you fail to realize or acknowledge is that virtually the entirety of business, especially construction and development, is based on credit. Credit, credit, credit. Not cash. The world runs on credit. If it's OK for big corporations to use credit, it's ok for small business to use credit, and it's ok for consumers to use credit. Credit is a service, and it has a price like any other service. We are all free to utilize the various services in life that make sense to us.

Espousing your need to live a life without the service of credit is like me bragging about something I choose to do that you do not. Entirely irrelevant to anyone but myself. AKA, virtue signaling. 
    Soli
  • Reply 39 of 51
    It was a cinch? I updated the software to the latest version of macOS. (Also, I have the MBP with TouchID, so not sure if that matters or not.)
    So you were able to do it?  My MacBook Pro is the first model with Touch ID, and after updating MacOS over the weekend, I wasn't able to enroll my Apple Card.  If you've been able to do it, I'll follow up with Apple to see what the problem is.  I assumed it wasn't just me.
  • Reply 40 of 51
    I was sent an early invitation email and applied over the weekend. It took all of 3 minutes to apply. Super easy. I got approved with. 23.99% APR. I accepted the offer. I’ve been using the card for Pay purchases, and enjoying the interface of the card so far.
    The funny thing, though, is when I check my actual card info it tells me my APR is 12.99%. I’m not quite sure what’s up with that yet. 

Now that it’s open to the public, my husband may apply for his soon.