Apple Card is here, find out all you need to know

Comments

• Reply 61 of 91
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    jbdragon said:
    It is a cool looking Credit Card, but is that really a good enough reason to get one? I'm sure for many it is, but the Benefits are just average.
    This sounds like a straw man argument as well. 

Please name anybody of those who posted here favoring the card, as 'cool looking' being the only or even primary reason for getting the card.

While your at it, please name any/all posters who claim the AC is the one card to rule them all. I haven't noted 'many' people in this or the above camp, as you claim.

Some of the benefits are average. Others are unique. That is, to be clear - it has features no other card has. Why is it detractors ignore that? You don't have to answer for all of them, just yourself would be novel. 

Like any feature or features of any card, they may not appeal to you. That doesn't mean they are without value to someone else, many someones. 

Making up alleged claims to argue against does no one any good. The 'Apple card BAD' theater could apply to any card that doesn't have a feature or two that some other card has. But because they're not the AC, apparently nobody is concerned.

The AI article is comprehensive and well balanced, as has been all their previous articles as I recall. Yet still people are building little windmills to tilt.

Choose what you like, pass on what you don't. Obviously anybody can base those decisions on personal biases or make them informed choices, as they please. But when discussing them in a forum, the courtesy of honesty would be appreciated.

Edification is always welcome. Insulting my intelligence is not. That's what many of these anti-AC posts are - base Apple bashing.
    Soliwatto_cobrarandominternetperson
  • Reply 62 of 91
    eightzero said:
    I'm curious to see how to set up payment to your card from the bank. I'm guessing we'll be able to simply point the camera at a blank check, and it will pick off the routing number and account number and confirm this for an ACH transfer. 

I'm also curious what kind of "payment due" notifications will be provided. Yes, you can monitor, but if no statement arrives in the mail, I will want an alert, or even better, a way to set up an automatic payment. 
    In my case, I'd set up an online bill pay account with my bank with the AC as a payee. Then they'd send Apple the money as with any other account I have. Even though it's Apple, I don't care to send my routing number to anybody, if I can avoid it. I'm surprised more accounts aren't compromised by somebody lifting the number off a check. But maybe I don't fully understand how that works. My bank also allows for auto-payments, but I've never needed one for a credit card.

I'm curious about the Payment Due bit as well. I have a USAA card, and it has been a PITA to find that information for most of the time I've had it. It took a bunch of clicks to find the info so I called their support. The first person I talked to couldn't tell me how to find it and kicked me up the next tier. He was able to knock a couple clicks off the process, but it was still a PITA. I've seen the same complaint for them a number of times. It's almost enough to go back to paper billing with them.

Recently they started showing the info on the first 'page' of logging into the app. Then it disappeared with an update. Then it was back again. WTF.

So I would hope that Apple will have a notification option to remind us. Monitoring is a good thing, but sometimes you just get busy. I'd like a notification that just a black Apple on a white background. I see that on my Watch, and I know to TCB.

Additionally, when the payment is credited, I'd get a green Apple on a white background, maybe the same if no payment was due. And nothing if there was no balance on the card. If I got a red apple... Shame on me. :smile: 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 91
    @Soli ;

First of all, the Fidelity 2% cashback card, Citi double cash card, and Paypal cashback card are all free cards that offer 2% cashback on ALL purchases. So yes, these all exceed the 2% offered by Apple on Apple Pay purchases only. Not to mention the various sign on bonuses, price protections, and extended warranty coverages these cards offer that Apple has yet to (if at all) announce for the Apple card. 

Seconf of all, regarding your "thousands of dollars" you spend each year directly from Apple, well, you're just a fool for spending full price when you can easily find the products (even new ones) for a discount much greater than the extra 1% you get with the Apple card. For example, Amazon is selling the new iPad Air for $469 while selling for $499 at the Apple Store. Many people have the Amazon Store card or Amazon Prime card, both giving 5% discount on ALL Amazon purchases. So in the Amazon example, 6% discount on base price plus 5% Amazon card discount is 11% total discount from purchasing from Amazon vs Apple Store. How does your 3% sound now?

You have fervently defended this Apple Card and decried anyone else with valid facts as to why the Apple card is not the best card as trolls which is clearly untrue.

%2 is more if it isn't Apple.

It's insane how people hypocritically bash Apple and get away with it. Apple always held to a higher standard.

Keep your unsafe, data collecting cards buddy and we'll keep our titanium ones.
    Uh yeah I literally said "on Apple Pay purchases only". So, net effect cash back from each of these 3 cards is greater than Apple's. Aka from a cash back perspective, which was the focus of Soli's post, those 3 cards beat Apple's.

And FYI, in the over 20 years of owning cards (I currently own 15), I've had zero fraud and I'm sure many people are in the same boat.
  • Reply 64 of 91
    looplessloopless Posts: 325member
    On a practical note, does anyone know if you can download transactions automatically into personal finance software such as banktivity? For my other cards banktivity connects to the issuing bank via “direct connect” and can download transactions at any time automatically. This is a deal killer for me. I would hope one can just add Goldman Sachs as a source and it will find your card account.
  • Reply 65 of 91
    looplessloopless Posts: 325member
    @Soli ;

First of all, the Fidelity 2% cashback card, Citi double cash card, and Paypal cashback card are all free cards that offer 2% cashback on ALL purchases. So yes, these all exceed the 2% offered by Apple on Apple Pay purchases only. Not to mention the various sign on bonuses, price protections, and extended warranty coverages these cards offer that Apple has yet to (if at all) announce for the Apple card. 

Seconf of all, regarding your "thousands of dollars" you spend each year directly from Apple, well, you're just a fool for spending full price when you can easily find the products (even new ones) for a discount much greater than the extra 1% you get with the Apple card. For example, Amazon is selling the new iPad Air for $469 while selling for $499 at the Apple Store. Many people have the Amazon Store card or Amazon Prime card, both giving 5% discount on ALL Amazon purchases. So in the Amazon example, 6% discount on base price plus 5% Amazon card discount is 11% total discount from purchasing from Amazon vs Apple Store. How does your 3% sound now?

You have fervently defended this Apple Card and decried anyone else with valid facts as to why the Apple card is not the best card as trolls which is clearly untrue.

It's insane how people hypocritically bash Apple and get away with it. Apple always held to a higher standard.

Uh yeah I literally said "on Apple Pay purchases only". So, net effect cash back from each of these 3 cards is greater than Apple's. Aka from a cash back perspective, which was the focus of Soli's post, those 3 cards beat Apple's.

And FYI, in the over 20 years of owning cards (I currently own 15), I've had zero fraud and I'm sure many people are in the same boat.
    @Soli ;

I’m hyper security aware and had my card number stolen at least  once every 2 years or so. So I’m calling bs on that last statement.
    matrix077Soli
  • Reply 66 of 91
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,139member
    ...so presumably this (like ApplePay) requires iCloud...?
    ...and presumably all cash back offers get paid for by customers via embodied costs or margins in the end...?
    I can see the data being really helpful for accounting & business expenses, as long as it remains truly 'private', whatever that means moving forward...
    Will it be potentially very profitable for Apple/GS too with 'daily compound interest up to 23.9 percent' for those who use the credit feature...?

I keep asking if an embodied carbon offset feature has been considered, perhaps with percentage of purchases 'leader board' option, in bamboo vs titanium...?  :)
  • Reply 67 of 91
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    ...so presumably this (like ApplePay) requires iCloud…?
    What do you mean by this?
  • Reply 68 of 91
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Soli said:
    felix01 said:
    @Soli

Well, I’m not going to list my cards on an open forum but this will get you started:

https://www.creditcards.com/cash-back/

https://www.nerdwallet.com/best/credit-cards/cash-back
    What cards are you referring? The one that has a massive annual fee, the ones that have it on select purchases, or the one has it as short-term introductory offer? Because those are not the same as better than 2% for all Apple Pay purchases at a minimum for a free card.
    This is sort of complicated. When we can afford a yearly fee for a card, it seems trivial. If we can’t, it seems excessive. I use my gold Amex for most every transaction. The only times I don’t, is the rare time it isn’t accepted by a company. Amex is the most consumer friendly card out there. Will Apple’s be better? We really don’t know yet, because there’s no track record. I haven’t had any problems using Apple Pay yet, so I don’t know what would happen with this card, if I did.

there are a couple of things I like though. One is not getting the “pending” notice if I look something up that hasn’t gone through yet, which can take several days. 3% in Apple’s stores is nice. Otherwise, I’m trying to find something that catches me.
  • Reply 69 of 91
    Soli said:
    gutengel said:
    Do you know what credit bureau they'll be checking before approving and issuing the card? I got my credit scored freezed since the hack in Equifax years ago.
    sirozha said:
    Same here. 
    We have no idea which bureau(s) they'll use, the minimum credit rating required to be accepted, or the interest rate.

Since Apple said that the interest rates will be lower than other cards I wonder if that means they'll only accept credit ratings well into the Excellent range. I think that's how I'd do it, at least to start, since this is clearly the more anticipated and sought after credit card that has ever launched. I'm fully expecting people to get approved and then complain about having to wait weeks for their physical card to be etched and mailed to them.

Marcus is a new service by Goldman Sachs that used TransUnion for one account (see link below) so it might be that credit bureau, but I don't think this is anything to worry because we're all going to get plenty of information about this card and how to sign up for it as soon as it launches.

I believe you are correct. Its a Transunion search. I had my monitor service state it was them. However sometimes they hit others like Experian etc. Or even Equifax. 
  • Reply 70 of 91
    Soli said:
    @Soli ;

1) I love these 2% from Apple is less than 2% from anywhere else comments. There's even an argument to made that Apple's 2% is actually higher in terms of value for Apple Pay-based payments because you get paid out daily, unlike the Citi card you mentioned that won't even pay you the other half until after you've paid off your card. That means for the same purchases in a given money using Apple Pay the Apple Card will cost consumers fewer funds to be transferred from their account to pay off their balance. But I'm not even trying to get into that minutia—I'm only looking at 1:1 ratios of percentage points and wondering how you people  can say that you get better than 2% for Apple Pay transactions and then post 2% cards.

2) What's this? You shop at different places because they offer different benefits? You also use an Amazon card at Amazon because you can get 5% back which is better than using any of the 2% cards you mentioned in your first paragraph? Funny how that works, and yet you completely ignored how different card can have different benefits when it comes t the Apple Card. As for buying at Apple, I don't use an iPad but I do buy a new MBPs with a student/teacher discount every year, but I also buy plenty of other things from Apple that are not offered elsewhere which is why I currently have their Barclay's card for 3% back. It's good enough for such purchases but it comes as an Apple Store gift card when I'd rather pay down the balance, hence the Apple Card will be a better option when buying certain items directly from Apple.

3) You haven't have valid facts. You've literally stated that 2% from anyone that isn't Apple exceed 2% from Apple. if you people don't see a need for an Apple Card then simply don't get one, but to claim as fact that no one will benefit from it, or make claims about how you have the perfect number of credit cards as proof that no one can benefit from it is insnane. The fact is this card will bring attention to Apple Pay and help usher in even more awareness of a more secure method for using credit and debit card that even you'll benefit from regardless of how you feel about Apple or Morgan Stanley.
    1. Are you purposely being obtuse? The net effect of 2% on ALL purchases (Apple Pay AND NON Apple Pay purchases) with any of the 3 cards I listed is of greater value than the Apple card. No one is saying another card gives you better than 2% on Apple Pay purchases only. We are saying there are cards that offer 2% on literally every purchase you make. And, the difference that it makes whether you get your 2% today or in 30 days is negligible.

2. You prove my point. There are many cards for different categories, all of which are better than the Apple card. As an example, there are cards that offer 5% on Amazon, 5% on gas purchases, 6% on grocery stores, etc. 

3. Work on reading comprehension. 2% on EVERY purchase is net greater than 2% on only Apple Pay purchases. 

No our reading comprehension is fine. It's just funny watching the doomers moving the goalposts everywhere.

Look I can do it too:
    Only Apple Card offers 3% cash back on Apple products!!!!!!!
    Only AppleCard integrates with iPhone and gives us the cool app!!
    Only AppleCard shows me real business names amd locations instead of cryptic names from unknown locations!!!

Truth is, many people trust ApplePay and prefer it to anything else. Apple Card also offers 1% on everything else which isn't too shabby considering you also get the cool app and security.
    Ha ha let me keep you up to date:
    1) Barclay Apple Card gives 3% on apple purchases.
    2) Barclay and other cards can be intergrated into apple pay on the iphone and watch.
    3) Barclay Card and other cards online and on the monthly invoice show where you purchased. But not the physical location.

Other cards offer 1% on almost everything, some like mine 5% on Chrysler/Jeep purchases, 2% on groceries, 3% on apple purchases including the iphone program from Citizen Bank. 

Some folks just have worries? how they arrived at that stage who knows.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 71 of 91
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member

...and presumably all cash back offers get paid for by customers via embodied costs or margins in the end...?
    Embodied costs? There are no fees. You mean...interest profit made? Well, yes. They don't get the money by selling unicorn horn powder.
  • Reply 72 of 91
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member

melgross said:
    Soli said:
    felix01 said:
    @Soli

Well, I’m not going to list my cards on an open forum but this will get you started:

https://www.creditcards.com/cash-back/

https://www.nerdwallet.com/best/credit-cards/cash-back
    What cards are you referring? The one that has a massive annual fee, the ones that have it on select purchases, or the one has it as short-term introductory offer? Because those are not the same as better than 2% for all Apple Pay purchases at a minimum for a free card.
    This is sort of complicated. When we can afford a yearly fee for a card, it seems trivial. If we can’t, it seems excessive. I use my gold Amex for most every transaction. The only times I don’t, is the rare time it isn’t accepted by a company. Amex is the most consumer friendly card out there. Will Apple’s be better? We really don’t know yet, because there’s no track record. I haven’t had any problems using Apple Pay yet, so I don’t know what would happen with this card, if I did.

there are a couple of things I like though. One is not getting the “pending” notice if I look something up that hasn’t gone through yet, which can take several days. 3% in Apple’s stores is nice. Otherwise, I’m trying to find something that catches me.
    It's not just in Apple Stores, it's 3% on any Apple online or retail product, or any Apple service -- apps, iTunes, rentals, Music, iCloud, Apple TV channels, etc. 

That combined with 2% back on all NFC purchases is worth it for me to use for those use cases. I have a different card that is my plastic daily driver.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 73 of 91
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member

I found out today that applying for the Apple Card will be a waste of time if you do not have a driver's license or "state ID". A US government ID such as a passport or US passport card is not accepted. I spoke with Apple reps today who told me Goldman Sacks requires this however I applied this morning and was approved without having to scan any ID. I cancelled the application after I received an approval but was asked to provide a driver's license later in the day when I decided to go through with the application.

After some time talking to Apple custom support my call was forwarded to Goldman Sachs directly, and as I expected that told me the same thing Apple did. Nobody at either company imagined that some of us do not have a driver's license. I live in New York City (Manhattan) where about 50% of the population does not have one. The geniuses at both companies were NOT able to explain why that was the case or were able to explain why my application was excepted the first time without scanning an ID or why they designed a system that leave out millions of NYC residents for getting an Apple Card. This service is a rushed product on behalf of both companies.

edited August 2019
  • Reply 74 of 91
    spice-boy said:

I found out today that applying for the Apple Card will be a waste of time if you do not have a driver's license or "state ID". A US government ID such as a passport or US passport card is not accepted. I spoke with Apple reps today who told me Goldman Sacks requires this however I applied this morning and was approved without having to scan any ID. I cancelled the application after I received an approval but was asked to provide a driver's license later in the day when I decided to go through with the application.

After some time talking to Apple custom support my call was forwarded to Goldman Sachs directly, and as I expected that told me the same thing Apple did. Nobody at either company imagined that some of us do not have a driver's license. I live in New York City (Manhattan) where about 50% of the population does not have one. The geniuses at both companies were NOT apple to explain why that was the case or were able to explain why my application was excepted the first time without scanning an ID or why they designed a system that leave out millions of NYC residents for getting an Apple Card. This service is a rushed product on behalf of both companies.

But why don’t even have a state ID? Do you just carry a passport with you?
  • Reply 75 of 91
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 688member
    My physical card arrives today. Still not sure how much I will actually use this thing. I get better bonuses and rates elsewhere.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 76 of 91
    Soli said:
    spice-boy said:

After some time talking to Apple custom support my call was forwarded to Goldman Sachs directly, and as I expected that told me the same thing Apple did. Nobody at either company imagined that some of us do not have a driver's license. I live in New York City (Manhattan) where about 50% of the population does not have one. The geniuses at both companies were NOT apple to explain why that was the case or were able to explain why my application was excepted the first time without scanning an ID or why they designed a system that leave out millions of NYC residents for getting an Apple Card. This service is a rushed product on behalf of both companies.

But why don’t even have a state ID? Do you just carry a passport with you?
    Right, can't you take a picture of whatever ID you use to board a plane?
  • Reply 77 of 91
    macgui said:
    It's as though every detractor of the Apple Card has failed to read or comprehend the auricle that apparently only servers to invited haters. They also claim that anybody saying anything positive about it is also saying it's the one card to rule them all and that it's better than every other card available.

None of those assertions are accurate. The article itemized a number of positive aspects of the card and doesn't make any false claims. An objective critic of the Card would realize that.

So many haters trot their six or seven cards detailing how each one has one or some of the features of the Apple Card while failing to realized that none of them have all or even nearly of the features of the Apple Card. 

The Card appeals to some people for different reasons, just as those who won't have it do have several cards for reasons that suit them. Their short sighted head up ass assessment 'if the Card doesn't suit me, it can't suit anyone'.

There is a obvious lack of reading comprehension among those who continue to ask questions or make statements about the Card contrary to the information provided in the article. Even those critics who may understand the article lack the objectivity to comprehend why their personal choice of a 'plethora of cards' may not be or isn't right for someone else.

So haters, (critics without fact or objectivity) grab any handful of non-Apple Cards that work for you. The trade off is none of them will have some of the Card's features, nor will any combination have them. But if that's ok by you, it's ok by me. I'm objective AF.
    I think, for some reason, this Apple Card has brought out both extremes:   The haters who find reasons to trash it and the lovers unable to see that it isn't the bestest card ever without exception...
    The haters overwhelming outnumber the 'lovers' you describe who are almost nonexistent on this site and elsewhere. There are tons of people claiming the card has no value or is useless etc., and very few if any claiming nobody needs any other card. Those wanting the card just because it looks cool don't automatically fall into the 'lovers' camp you describe'.

Most of us who like the card are well aware of it's limitations but are getting it for the features unique to it. I protest their bashing the card while misrepresenting it. It's that simple.
  • Reply 78 of 91
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    An interesting article in CNBC reported that for Goldman this is not the end but the beginning as they enter into a new era of consumer banking unencumbered by traditional banking history and conventions.   They are able to invent new and better ways of doing things.   In other words, it sounds like they are planning on becoming a major player in FinTech.

For me, that could be the number one reason to get an AppleCard -- to be part of that and to grow with it.

The Apple Card is the start of Goldman’s transformation into a consumer powerhouse, CEO says

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/20/goldman-will-dominate-consumer-banking-in-coming-decades-ceo-says.html

• Reply 79 of 91
    elector said:
    Soli said:
    @Soli ;

1) I love these 2% from Apple is less than 2% from anywhere else comments. There's even an argument to made that Apple's 2% is actually higher in terms of value for Apple Pay-based payments because you get paid out daily, unlike the Citi card you mentioned that won't even pay you the other half until after you've paid off your card. That means for the same purchases in a given money using Apple Pay the Apple Card will cost consumers fewer funds to be transferred from their account to pay off their balance. But I'm not even trying to get into that minutia—I'm only looking at 1:1 ratios of percentage points and wondering how you people  can say that you get better than 2% for Apple Pay transactions and then post 2% cards.

2) What's this? You shop at different places because they offer different benefits? You also use an Amazon card at Amazon because you can get 5% back which is better than using any of the 2% cards you mentioned in your first paragraph? Funny how that works, and yet you completely ignored how different card can have different benefits when it comes t the Apple Card. As for buying at Apple, I don't use an iPad but I do buy a new MBPs with a student/teacher discount every year, but I also buy plenty of other things from Apple that are not offered elsewhere which is why I currently have their Barclay's card for 3% back. It's good enough for such purchases but it comes as an Apple Store gift card when I'd rather pay down the balance, hence the Apple Card will be a better option when buying certain items directly from Apple.

3) You haven't have valid facts. You've literally stated that 2% from anyone that isn't Apple exceed 2% from Apple. if you people don't see a need for an Apple Card then simply don't get one, but to claim as fact that no one will benefit from it, or make claims about how you have the perfect number of credit cards as proof that no one can benefit from it is insnane. The fact is this card will bring attention to Apple Pay and help usher in even more awareness of a more secure method for using credit and debit card that even you'll benefit from regardless of how you feel about Apple or Morgan Stanley.
    1. Are you purposely being obtuse? The net effect of 2% on ALL purchases (Apple Pay AND NON Apple Pay purchases) with any of the 3 cards I listed is of greater value than the Apple card. No one is saying another card gives you better than 2% on Apple Pay purchases only. We are saying there are cards that offer 2% on literally every purchase you make. And, the difference that it makes whether you get your 2% today or in 30 days is negligible.

2. You prove my point. There are many cards for different categories, all of which are better than the Apple card. As an example, there are cards that offer 5% on Amazon, 5% on gas purchases, 6% on grocery stores, etc. 

3. Work on reading comprehension. 2% on EVERY purchase is net greater than 2% on only Apple Pay purchases. 

No our reading comprehension is fine. It's just funny watching the doomers moving the goalposts everywhere.

Look I can do it too:
    Only Apple Card offers 3% cash back on Apple products!!!!!!!
    Only AppleCard integrates with iPhone and gives us the cool app!!
    Only AppleCard shows me real business names amd locations instead of cryptic names from unknown locations!!!

Truth is, many people trust ApplePay and prefer it to anything else. Apple Card also offers 1% on everything else which isn't too shabby considering you also get the cool app and security.
    Ha ha let me keep you up to date:
    1) Barclay Apple Card gives 3% on apple purchases.
    2) Barclay and other cards can be intergrated into apple pay on the iphone and watch.
    3) Barclay Card and other cards online and on the monthly invoice show where you purchased. But not the physical location.
    And you don’t understand why the GS Apple Card is better than Barclay Apple card?
    macgui
  • Reply 80 of 91
    jurdajurda Posts: 3member
    They still way a way to go in terms of verifying your identity for the new Apple Card. My drivers license some 7 1/2 years old and the plastic coating is rather burnished and the back is even worst. I fly some 20 round trips a year so it gets a lots of usage. After several failures with the message that my identity could not be verified. I called the Apple Support line and was passed over to the Apple Card support. Could not get a satisfactory answer  or resolution. I mentioned that my FL drivers license has my full legal name . The license include my middle name  on the same line as my first name without a specific designation. It just follows my first name. They suggested I append my middle name and tried the application again under a overcast sky with absolutely no glare and added my middle name to the first screen of the application and again the process could not confirm my identity. So is the fail with a worn divers license or due to the inclusion of my middle name

Their application process needs to be a bit more advanced that redeeming an iTunes Card!!!

I completed a Barclay'd deferred billing Visa Card application successfully just a couple of weeks ago to buy a top-specked 2019 MacBook Pro 13 for my wife (OK, I only got 1 Tb SSD ). Barclay asks for the actual Driver License # and information. The application though long went smoothly and was not frustrating. One even gets prompted occasionally for my height when changing security / card setting. I can still use that Barclay card to refresh my old mid-2016  for a new 16+ next year.

So GS will lose money by having a potentially flawed simplistic application that simulates redeeming an iTunes card.

So  maybe i don't get their credit card until I am able to maybe get a renewal of my drivers license. Or they figure out an in-person application at an Apple Store or have an actual credit application that isn't more than scanning an iTunes card.

Until then Discover and Visa will give a return on my purchases!!!!
    edited August 2019