Tips and tricks for mastering Apple Card

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2019
While Apple Card still operates as a traditional credit card, Apple has mixed things up with its skill of blending hardware and software. To help you make the most of your new Apple Card, here are our favorite tips and tricks.

Apple Card
Apple Card in Wallet app

Estimate interest

Apple makes it easy to see not only how much you owe, but how much interest you will owe based on your payment. When it is time to pay your bill, Apple presents different options and encourages you to pay more than your minimum to reduce the amount of interest you'll accrue.

This upfront transparency will, ideally, cause users to be more cautious using the card and not overspend when they see the real cost of their purchase.

Understanding your Apple Card color

After signing up for Apple Card, the virtual card in Wallet is stark white. But as soon as you make your first purchase, the color will begin to change.

This has some practical purposes and some that are just fun. As an example, just tilting your phone causes the colorful effect to react and move as if by natural light.

Apple Card spending categories
Apple Card spending categories

These colors also represent the different categories of your purchases. If you buy clothes or household items, the color will be a yellow-orange. Add in some food and a splotch of darker orange will mix in. Travel expenses such as hotels or flights will add a splash of green. Services mix in purple, transportation adds some blue, movies and entertainment are pink, and health-related expenses are red.

Seeing those colors gives you a high-level view of how you are spending your money without getting into further breakdowns of the categories.

Managing your default card

When signing up, Apple will ask if you want to make the Apple Card your default payment method. If you either decline or wish to change it, it is easy to do.

Choosing your default payment card
Choosing your default payment card

Head to Settings. Tap Wallet & Apple Pay, and select Default Card. From here, you can choose any of your Apple Pay cards to be the default, including Apple Card.

Earn more Daily Cash

The rewards payout from Apple Card is called Daily Cash. Apple will pay out however much in rewards you've earned that day.

Apple will pay 1% when using the physical titanium Apple Card, 2% when shopping at every-day retailers, and 3% through Apple -- and some other vendors added on Tuesday like Uber and Uber Eats.

Apple rewards users with Daily Cash
Apple rewards users with Daily Cash

To maximize your cash back, your highest reward is when shopping through Apple, including the App Store and iTunes. If you want to earn more in rewards, move any iTunes purchases to your Apple Card.

This could Apple services such as Apple Music or App Store subscriptions. Video streaming services like HBO, Showtime, CBS All Access, or Hulu count if you move your subscription to an App Store in-app purchase rather than billing your card directly.

Odds are, you are already paying these subscriptions, so might as well earn a bit more and use Apple Card.

Change your card number

If you want to use your Apple Card online, and the retailer doesn't support Apple Pay or autofill in Safari, you have to manually enter in your card number. Those details can be readily found within the Wallet app.

Request a new card number in Card Information
Request a new card number in Card Information

When shopping online, if you are ever worried your card number has been compromised -- such as through a phishing scam, you can get a new card number at any time. Just hit Request new card number under Card Information and one will instantly be generated.

This number is independent from your physical Apple Card's number and your device ID number that lives on your iPhone. So, neither of those will be impacted if you request a new number.

If you lose your physical card, you do need to let Apple know so that it can be cancelled and reissued.

Get support

Speaking of getting in touch with Apple Support, all of that can be easily done through Apple's Business Chat feature in iMessage. Tap on the ellipsis on the top right corner of your Apple Card and tap on Message to quickly get in touch with an account representative.

Apple Card users can contact support through text
Apple Card users can contact support through text

All correspondence takes place within the Messages app next to all of your other conversations so you can communicate when it is convenient for you, and you don't have to jump on a phone call and wait on hold forever.

Schedule payments

Instead of manually paying your card each month, Apple also makes it easy to schedule payments. A quick wizard within iOS allows you to easily schedule payments each month to reduce your burden.

You can choose to pay the whole bill or a specific amount. You're not limited to one specific payment day -- you can choose any day up to and including when the payment is due.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Not yet signed up, though 99 percent sure I will. My one concern is TMI. I don't want my balance info etc in my face everyday. I'm hoping that's not the case. That it can be as unobtrusive as the existing cards in my Apple wallet, if I wish. And balance notification pops up on due date; rest of time only pull, not push.
  • Reply 2 of 49
    I love my card!!!!!

I cant wait to use it to buy my new 16” MacbookPro two weeks from today!!!!!
    SoundJudgmentJustaTechotenchi211watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 49
    The question I have is the card number shown in the app under card information permanent. That is until I request a new card number. The reason I am asking is I would like to know if that number can be used for recurring bills, such as the mobil phone bill?? Or that the number that can be regenerated for online purchases ?? Is there someplace in the app to obtain a one time use number?? Mike
  • Reply 4 of 49
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    mdirvin said:
    The question I have is the card number shown in the app under card information permanent. That is until I request a new card number. The reason I am asking is I would like to know if that number can be used for recurring bills, such as the mobil phone bill?? Or that the number that can be regenerated for online purchases ?? Is there someplace in the app to obtain a one time use number?? Mike
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/08/17/how-to-find-your-apple-card-number-to-but-something-online
  • Reply 5 of 49
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    You will not be able to get this card unless you have a drivers license. Millions of iPhone users will not be eligible for this card because the corporate dummies at Apple and Goldman Sachs thought everyone in the USA drove a car. Tim, some of us (as in several millions in Manhattan alone) live in cities with excellent public transportation and have no need for a car. The person(s) that overlooked this detail should be fired or at least get only a 6 digit bonus in December. 
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 6 of 49
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    9to5mac is reporting Apple announced it is now offering 3% cash back on uber and uber eats. That was fast; hope it portends a trend in Apple Card offering more that the current cash back.

iTunes gift cards are widely available at much better discount than 3%. But see also: 

https://qz.com/1683460/what-happens-to-your-itunes-account-when-apple-says-youve-committed-fraud/

watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 49
    eightzero said:
    9to5mac is reporting Apple announced it is now offering 3% cash back on uber and uber eats. That was fast; hope it portends a trend in Apple Card offering more that the current cash back.

iTunes gift cards are widely available at much better discount than 3%. But see also: 

https://qz.com/1683460/what-happens-to-your-itunes-account-when-apple-says-youve-committed-fraud/

We talked about this in the release post earlier today.
    eightzerowatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 49
    spice-boy said:
    You will not be able to get this card unless you have a drivers license. Millions of iPhone users will not be eligible for this card because the corporate dummies at Apple and Goldman Sachs thought everyone in the USA drove a car. Tim, some of us (as in several millions in Manhattan alone) live in cities with excellent public transportation and have no need for a car. The person(s) that overlooked this detail should be fired or at least get only a 6 digit bonus in December. 
    While some applicants are being asked to scan a state-issued photo ID (not specifically a driver's license), not all are.
    edited August 2019 GeorgeBMactomkarlJWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 49
    Mine is scheduled to arrive in today's mail.

One thing I'm curious about.  Is it possible to use this card for autopay, like paying my light bill each month?  I know it can generate a one time, one transaction credit card number, but will this number work again in the future, or will I always have to enter it manually?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 49
    Nelway07Nelway07 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I tried  this morning with my driver license and it kept telling me not able to validate my identity and to try again I stopped after my third try
    spice-boyanantksundaram
  • Reply 11 of 49
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    spice-boy said:
    Pretty sure they don’t require a *drivers license*. You don’t have a passport or other state-issued ID? How do you get into bars? How do you fly? How do you open a bank account?
    edited August 2019 StrangeDaysJFC_PAwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 49
    spice-boy said:
    While some applicants are being asked to scan a state-issued photo ID (not specifically a driver's license), not all are.
    I applied first thing this morning and was approved, instead of clicking the final "accept" link I cancelled and thought I would do a little more research about the card first. A couple of hours later I applied again but was asked to scan a photo ID, I have a passport and a passport card, the passport card was rejected and I was told I need a state ID which I never needed before in my life. I called Apple support, nobody could explain why I was accepted one time without an ID scan and why the state ID was suddenly mandatory. They connected me to Goldman Sachs and the 2 reps there where just as clueless, Apple designed the software for this card, GS designed the credit card terms and both told me the other was to blame for my situation. No way an I going to DOMV and spend a day with a hundred people (this is NYC) to get an ID so I can get the Apple Card. Tim you screwed up. 
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 13 of 49
    spice-boy said:
    Pretty sure they don’t require a *drivers license*. You don’t have a passport or other state-issued ID? How do you get into bars? How do you fly? How do you open a bank account?
    Gov issued passport card is all I ever needed for 43 years. Why would I ever need a state issued card?
  • Reply 14 of 49
    The fact that one needs "tips and tricks" to master a credit card is enough for me to pass!

chemengin1
  • Reply 15 of 49

One thing I'm curious about.  Is it possible to use this card for autopay, like paying my light bill each month?  I know it can generate a one time, one transaction credit card number, but will this number work again in the future, or will I always have to enter it manually?
    I thought I read that the Apple Card has a real number and exp date and CVV but it just isn't printed on the card.  I think you access it in the Wallet, maybe?
  • Reply 16 of 49

As well as I can determine you would have to re enter the number if you generated a new number.  I was hopping that there would be a card number that would stay constant so that it could be used for recurring payments, and also be able to generate a one time use number for online purchases.  I have one CC that does that, only its such a PITA to go online & sign in to the CC web site, generate the # each time.  I was hopping that feature would be available, but I don't see it anywhere.  Maybe some time in the future.
    Mike
  • Reply 17 of 49
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member

I have the card.  It has a real credit card number that you can access from within the wallet app.  I've already used it extensively for Amazon purchases (since Amazon doesn't accept ApplePay).  I don't know anything about the one-time cc# you're speaking of, but if the one in the wallet does get compromised, you can request a new one from within the wallet app and from that point on, the old one will no longer work.

fastasleepJFC_PAwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 49

Folio said:
    Not yet signed up, though 99 percent sure I will. My one concern is TMI. I don't want my balance info etc in my face everyday. I'm hoping that's not the case. That it can be as unobtrusive as the existing cards in my Apple wallet, if I wish. And balance notification pops up on due date; rest of time only pull, not push.
    When you open the wallet, the Apple Card shows like any other CC.  No balance info "staring you in the face".  But if you tap on it, you will see that dreaded balance and all sorts of other useful details about your spending.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 49
    I've had the Apple Card for 2 weeks now.  Today I began to wonder how I'd pay it come September 30th and found out something that wasn't made very clear during sign-up and which you might find useful to know: you pretty much have to either give out your bank routing #/account # or pay with a debit card or with Apple Cash!  I didn't want to do that, so I contacted Apple Card support (right from within the Wallet - nice!) and eventually spoke to a Goldman Sachs supervisor.  I asked him where my account info will be kept - on my device or on Goldman servers.  Answer: on Goldman Sachs servers (encrypted of course).  I told him that I had prior bad experiences in which a company withdrew (accidentally) more money from my account than it was supposed to, leading me to write a check that bounced - and pay a penalty.  And, besides, I didn't think it was very secure - especially for a card that's supposed to be ultra secure - to keep such information on a server where it could potentially be hacked.  I insisted, therefore, on a mailing address.  Which he gave me - but which is not given anywhere in the Wallet app AFAIK.  In case someone wants to pay their CC using online bill pay like me, here it is:

Goldman Sachs Bank USA
    Salt Lake City Branch Lockbox 6112
    PO Box 7247
    Philadelphia, PA  19170-6112

That address seems awfully weird, but that's what I was given.  Anyway, I thought about it some more and I think what I'll actually do is simply open another account with my bank and when I want to pay my Apple Card, I'll just put enough money in it to cover my card payment.  I'll enter that bank account # into Apple Card for payment.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 20 of 49
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    The fact that one needs "tips and tricks" to master a credit card is enough for me to pass!
    If you want, you can use it just like any other card, but you miss out on some of the features. There are a few things that are different with the Apple Card; just like there were things different with iOS. From what I've seen, they're not difficult, just different.
    ITGUYINSD said:

I thought I read that the Apple Card has a real number and exp date and CVV but it just isn't printed on the card.  I think you access it in the Wallet, maybe?
    As near as I can tell, the actual card number is encoded on the magnetic strip. The wallet app will give you a virtual number that's linked to your account. You can use this number online for sites that don't use ApplePay. If you think it's been compromised, you can have Apple/GS instantly generate a new virtual number. This seems to be a semi-permanent number (i.e. it's not a new number for each transaction.) I assume that if you re-generate the virtual account number then any recurring payments linked to the old number will need to be updated. I haven't seen this verified anywhere, though.

The concept of a virtual card number has been around for a while. Citibank started doing this years ago, but it was rather cumbersome to use. Apple is the first to make it so integrated and automatic, to my knowledge. 

tjwolf said:
    I've had the Apple Card for 2 weeks now.  Today I began to wonder how I'd pay it come September 30th and found out something that wasn't made very clear during sign-up and which you might find useful to know: you pretty much have to either give out your bank routing #/account # or pay with a debit card or with Apple Cash!  I didn't want to do that, so I contacted Apple Card support (right from within the Wallet - nice!) and eventually spoke to a Goldman Sachs supervisor.  I asked him where my account info will be kept - on my device or on Goldman servers.  Answer: on Goldman Sachs servers (encrypted of course).  I told him that I had prior bad experiences in which a company withdrew (accidentally) more money from my account than it was supposed to, leading me to write a check that bounced - and pay a penalty.  And, besides, I didn't think it was very secure - especially for a card that's supposed to be ultra secure - to keep such information on a server where it could potentially be hacked.  I insisted, therefore, on a mailing address.  Which he gave me - but which is not given anywhere in the Wallet app AFAIK.  In case someone wants to pay their CC using online bill pay like me, here it is:

Goldman Sachs Bank USA
    Salt Lake City Branch Lockbox 6112
    PO Box 7247
    Philadelphia, PA  19170-6112

That address seems awfully weird, but that's what I was given.  Anyway, I thought about it some more and I think what I'll actually do is simply open another account with my bank and when I want to pay my Apple Card, I'll just put enough money in it to cover my card payment.  I'll enter that bank account # into Apple Card for payment.
    Automated transfers are, in general more secure than mailing a check (as well as cheaper and quicker to process.) I'm not surprised that this is the expected way to pay. You may be able to set up bill pay through your bank, though.
    edited August 2019