Apple's 'iPhone 11' again said to use USB-C charger

Posted:
in General Discussion
While the forthcoming iPhones are expected to continue using Lightning connectors, a new source claims that Apple will ship a more powerful USB-C charger plus an adapter.

The forthcoming iPhones are expected to retain the familiar Lightning connector but come with a faster USB-C charger
The forthcoming iPhones are expected to retain the familiar Lightning connector but come with a faster USB-C charger

A tweet from charging peripherals company ChargerLab claims that while Apple's forthcoming iPhones will continue to use a Lightning port, the company will ship a USB-C-based charger for them. This would require Apple to include a USB-C to Lightning adaptor, which ChargerLab asserts is "very likely" to be in the box.

The iPhone 11 will come with a USB-C charger. pic.twitter.com/FqYgAHJnqx

-- ChargerLAB (@chargerlab)

If correct, this would mean that the new iPhones will have a more powerful and faster charging plug than the present 5W model. This would presumably be the same USB-C charger that Apple introduced with the iPad Pro in October 2018.

ChargerLab says only that this news has been confirmed by a "high-level executive," not even whether that alleged source is within Apple or a supplier.

The charging company has also previously had mixed success with its Apple sources, having correctly identified that the USB-C charger would be coming and what it would look like. But, it claimed that it would ship with the iPhone XS family, with it actually arriving with the iPad Pro.

This company also weighed in on the now-cancelled AirPower, asserting in January that supply chain sources had said the product was entering manufacturing.

This current claim represents a continuation of long-debated rumors that have Apple moving iPhones to UBS-C entirely, or having this charger with the old Lightning connectors, or staying exactly as they are.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    IMO, it would be unthinkable for Apple to continue shipping 5W out of the box. That said, I thought the same last year, and here we are.

USB-C to Lightning is a different story but a non-issue if it ships in the box.

edited August 2019 muthuk_vanalingamMplsP
  • Reply 2 of 9
    If PRO naming rumor is true then this could be true as well and it would make sense. Like iPad Pro has USB-C iPhone Pro would have it as well. Plus rumor of bigger battery and ability to charge Watch. Fast charging... At the end it will have many new things but Performance of camera will be for many thing upon they will decide.

Secretly hoping Apple is secretly cooking low light mode that could debut in say iOS 13.1 or so.

edited August 2019
  • Reply 3 of 9
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    I’m not a big fan of USB C, mainly because it’s not the USB utopia people try to make it out to be, but it would make a whole lot of sense to switch iPhones to USB C. 

This story is actually more about the charger capacity than the connector, though. People have been legitimately complaining for a while about Apple shipping a $1000 iPhone with an under powered charger. I hope the rumor is true - It’s high time Apple fix this. 

Of course you’ll still need the lightning-USB A cable to plug your phone in everywhere else. 
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I’m a big fan of USB-C through owning a MacBook Pro - it is good for HDMI out, power or any peripherals. 

I hope this is true. 
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    That Apple still ships a 5W charger, the same as the iPhone 1 is despicable. If they create a new one for USB-C and it's still 5W that will show clearly Apple values minimal profit over it's customers. There is no valid rationale for the 5W still being there even now. 
    avon b7MplsP
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Why not just replace the lightning port with USB-C and get with the industry standard connector?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Why not just replace the lightning port with USB-C and get with the industry standard connector?
    Because USB-C is a) significantly larger and b) mechanically inferior to Lightning. And has no real advantages over Lightning.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Because USB-C is a) significantly larger and b) mechanically inferior to Lightning. And has no real advantages over Lightning.
    There are far more USB-C accessories available than their Lightning counterparts.  For instance, Android phones with USB-C ports can do ethernet through such an adapter.  It's also far easier to find USB-C headphones.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    The advantage is my MacBook Pro and iPad Pro both use it to charge now, so I'd love for them to make it consistent across the board. It's not THAT much larger.