Editorial: Here's why the 'iPhone 11' will do fine, despite no 5G

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 48
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,304member
    Ha!

    For everyone who thinks you will miss the home button...YOU WON’T!!!

    Any time I use a device now that has one it seems completely backwards.  The new gestures are better and you’ll get used to it almost immediately.

    I agree that the 7 is still a great phone...but man...my Xs Max is SO MUCH BETTER!!!
    Totally agree.  Came to the Max from and 8 Plus. First day my brain wanted to go to the home button after getting used to the new gestures I never looked back.  Makes using my IPad Pro 10.5 a little confusing sometimes. B)
    hummerchinefastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 48
    tmaytmay Posts: 5,762member
    Rajka said:
    I won't be purchasing an iPhone 11. I currently boycott Apple simply because I do not like what it is today, just another behemoth corporation that focuses primarily on shareholder greed rather than its customers. I boycott Apple because that is my best vote, or non-vote in this case. I will, however, continue to buy Apple products (for now) but only for replacement with an Apple device that dies; and then I will purchase the least expensive model. My boycott will last until Apple embraces the core values cultivated by Steve Jobs. Jobs was not perfect, but he demanded from Apple excellence. He dictated that Apple should deliver the very best user experience possible for a modest premium, the so called Apple tax. I agreed with this model and was passionate for Apple for decades, gladly proselytizing Apple at every opportunity. Today, I'm angry with Apple at times and meh at best. I don't expect things to change under Tim Cook. In fact, I expect things to continue to worsen, even as Apple's fortunes rise. But I have hope for his successor. Time will tell. In the meantime, maybe two guys in a garage are building the next great thing and I can jump the platform ship.
    As a Mac 128 user, a hugely expensive machine at that time, I can state that Apple's "core values cultivated by Steve Jobs" is alive and well. Maybe, just maybe, you are the one who has forgotten what those core values actually are. You might not be aware that Apple had that near death experience in 1996, barely survived, and did so only because of the team and culture that Steve Jobs built at Apple, which continues to this day.

    Either way, nobody gives a shit about what you will or will not do to protest Tim Cook's Apple. Myself, I recommend that you leave Apple's ecosystem now, and look forward to the years of pain ahead of you for that.
    StrangeDaysroundaboutnowhummerchinelolliverfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 48
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,208member
    Rajka said:
    I won't be purchasing an iPhone 11. I currently boycott Apple simply because I do not like what it is today, just another behemoth corporation that focuses primarily on shareholder greed rather than its customers. I boycott Apple because that is my best vote, or non-vote in this case. I will, however, continue to buy Apple products (for now) but only for replacement with an Apple device that dies; and then I will purchase the least expensive model. My boycott will last until Apple embraces the core values cultivated by Steve Jobs. Jobs was not perfect, but he demanded from Apple excellence. He dictated that Apple should deliver the very best user experience possible for a modest premium, the so called Apple tax. I agreed with this model and was passionate for Apple for decades, gladly proselytizing Apple at every opportunity. Today, I'm angry with Apple at times and meh at best. I don't expect things to change under Tim Cook. In fact, I expect things to continue to worsen, even as Apple's fortunes rise. But I have hope for his successor. Time will tell. In the meantime, maybe two guys in a garage are building the next great thing and I can jump the platform ship.
    Yikes, then you really don't know much about Apple. Many companies "manage to the stock price" (usually with the aim of raising it), but Apple isn't one of them. Famously so. Apple is the poster boy for the "delight the customer" management style instead, which puts the customer over the stockholder. Often to the ire of Wall Street and the financial newspapers. For this they are punished by investors (see their P/E ratio). Ironic then that you punish them for the opposite.

    Funny that you cite Jobs -- he actually tried to cheat his stock options, had very high prices that no one I know called "modest", etc. 

    Enjoy your Dell/Windows/Android crap. (Dell, btw, once suggested that Apple close its doors and return the money to its shareholders.) 
    edited August 2019 roundaboutnowhummerchinelolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 48
    M68000M68000 Posts: 486member
    I’m at a point with the 512GB Xs Max that only 1TB storage would motivate me to upgrade to a new iPhone. I’ve only got 60GB storage left. But performance of the Bluetooth 5 Xs Max is as fast as I’ll ever want or need.

    On the other hand, with a noticeably slow Bluetooth 4.2 Series 3 WATCH I’m very excited to be buying a new much faster Bluetooth 5 Series 5 next month. This could be the WATCH that I can keep for more than 2 years without missing whatever hardware improvements are coming in future years unless a much longer lasting battery arrives in future which I hope will be the case.
    Do you mind me asking -  what are you doing to only have 60gb left on a 512gb phone???  4K video every day?
    russwmuthuk_vanalingamlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 48
    tmaytmay Posts: 5,762member
    avon b7 said:
    Folio said:
    The biggest question for me of 2019: how many defections from troubled Huawei phones, especially in Europe, will Apple pick up? Quite an opportunity for a mass conversion if Apple creates right incentives.
    Samsung had trade-in offers for Huawei devices from day one of U.S attempts to derail them. I can imagine some people taking the offers but not that many. More problematic are new sales. That's a different story for Europe and there will be an impact for sure.

    The Mate 30 Series will supposedly ship the day after the iPhone (all rumours) and will be a strong upgrade to the already strong flagship series. There may even be an on SoC multimode 5G Kirin 990 and very likely DaVinci cores in there too.

    https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1335048

    https://www.anandtech.com/show/14756/hot-chips-live-blogs-huawei-da-vinci-architecture

    There are rumours of VR/AR glasses too.

    Lots of rumours I know but for next month so not long to wait in any case.

    Current iPhones would be a step down for Huawei flagship users. At lower levels buyers are more price sensitive and Apple miscalculated in that area (price) IMO.

    I think we'll see pricing adjusted down.



    Huawei.

    Official smartphone of Chinese Nationalists.

    Not so much in Hong Kong.

    https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/06/06/huaweis-pr-campaign-comes-straight-from-the-partys-playbook/



    edited August 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Problem is, two, maybe three, years from now when 5G has extensively rolled out, there you are with a phone that's not capable of using that technology, and by then it probably will mean something to you. Also by then, you won't be able to give the phone away, much less sell it.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    tmaytmay Posts: 5,762member
    launfall said:
    Problem is, two, maybe three, years from now when 5G has extensively rolled out, there you are with a phone that's not capable of using that technology, and by then it probably will mean something to you. Also by then, you won't be able to give the phone away, much less sell it.
    "Also by then, you won't be able to give the phone away, much less sell it."

    Uhm, that's bullshit.

    Plenty of people, myself included, live in suburban/rural areas that won't see 5G for a long, long time, and with that, there is still LTE with increasingly higher performance. Even with 5G access, people aren't necessarily going to require the "benefits", whatever they might be, of 5G over LTE.

    If you are so concerned about it, then wait until next year.
    lolliverFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 48
    j2fusionj2fusion Posts: 151member
    I just would like the service to work period. Here in Cape Cod, many times I lose service completely with AT&T. I would say 70% of the time I have 3G service (which, by the way, AT&T calls 4G) when I have service at all.   I agree with other posters that it will take years to effectively roll out 5G. That won’t stop various publications from decrying that the iPhone 11 is inferior because it doesn’t have 5G however. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 48
    russwrussw Posts: 21member
    I'm still on the X. The XS wasn't a big bump up in performance or camera from the X so I skipped it. Part of that was also a protest against the pricing of the XS. I will get the 11 since my AppleCare is running out and I want the three lens camera.

    Maybe I'm getting old but I'm just not as excited about each new iPhone as I was a number of years ago. Apple could change that with some significant innovations on the camera side of the phone. Or produce a small iPhone with a reasonable camera that I can exercise with more easily. Something the size of an iPhone 5 but shorter- lop off the home button part and integrate touchID into screen or use FaceID.

    Perhaps I'm in the minority but I thought the high price of the X was supposed to be due to Apple pushing out newer tech (FaceID array and OLED display) that was expensive in the short term until the industry could ramp up production. Longer term it would come down in price. Joke is on us, I guess. The XS was still expensive. I guess Apple figured out that they could charge more money so why not.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Lack of, of inclusion of 5G has no influence over my decision making, but I’m definitely interested in seeing what the wide-angle lens mode looks like. The biggest negative on the new phones for me is still the decision to eliminate the physical Home button. 
    Have you tried an iPhone with no home button?
    Its really not that hard to adjust to. 
    If you buy your phones from the Apple store, you can always return it within 2 weeks for a full refund. Just don’t trade in your phone yet. You can always come back and trade in your old iPhone or return the new one if you hate swiping up instead of pressing the home button. 
    Yes, I have and I don’t like it. A Home button is the last line of defense for quitting crashed apps, other than shutting down the phone.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 31 of 48
    Lack of, of inclusion of 5G has no influence over my decision making, but I’m definitely interested in seeing what the wide-angle lens mode looks like. The biggest negative on the new phones for me is still the decision to eliminate the physical Home button. 
    Have you tried an iPhone with no home button?
    Its really not that hard to adjust to. 
    If you buy your phones from the Apple store, you can always return it within 2 weeks for a full refund. Just don’t trade in your phone yet. You can always come back and trade in your old iPhone or return the new one if you hate swiping up instead of pressing the home button. 
    Yes, I have and I don’t like it. A Home button is the last line of defense for quitting crashed apps, other than shutting down the phone.
    Swipe up and pause momentarily and you get the app windows the same way that a double click on the home button provides. Once you see the app you want to force quit, you just swipe up on it. Super simple.
    edited August 2019 hummerchinelolliverfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 48

    launfall said:
    Problem is, two, maybe three, years from now when 5G has extensively rolled out, there you are with a phone that's not capable of using that technology, and by then it probably will mean something to you. Also by then, you won't be able to give the phone away, much less sell it.
    When 5G has extensively rolled out, it will also benefit existing 4G LTE phones. So no need to give them away...

    5G will use spectrum in the existing LTE frequency range (600 MHz to 6 GHz) as well as the millimeter wave bands (24–86 GHz). The millimeter bands are of course where the limited range exists, so lots of distribution points for these will be required. But if these distribution points also include the lower frequency range (which a knowledgable Verizon rep told me they would), conceivably those that have 5G connectivity will have their bandwidth off-loaded to millimeter, leaving an improved coverage/bandwidth of LTE range available to most all other phones.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 48
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 966member
    Have a 10 XS and really do not see the need to replace my phone yet.

    As to the whole 5G thing, I really do not see the need for it. Your mileage may vary.

    I commute to a weekend gig through a rural area that only recently got a fully upgraded LTE 4G network and it is my understanding that many of the frequencies being used for 5G will not have the same range or be as robust a signal.

    From what I was told by an engineer who works for AT&T, the biggest beneficiary of the 5G technology will be fixed wireless- especially in rural areas. He was talking about capability- not the business plan of his company. He said that there would be enough capacity to offer rural customers fixed wireless comparable to wired in places where that had not previously been viable. 
  • Reply 34 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Lack of, of inclusion of 5G has no influence over my decision making, but I’m definitely interested in seeing what the wide-angle lens mode looks like. The biggest negative on the new phones for me is still the decision to eliminate the physical Home button. 
    Have you tried an iPhone with no home button?
    Its really not that hard to adjust to. 
    If you buy your phones from the Apple store, you can always return it within 2 weeks for a full refund. Just don’t trade in your phone yet. You can always come back and trade in your old iPhone or return the new one if you hate swiping up instead of pressing the home button. 
    Yes, I have and I don’t like it. A Home button is the last line of defense for quitting crashed apps, other than shutting down the phone.
    Swipe up and pause momentarily and you get the app windows the same way that a double click on the home button provides. Once you see the app you want to force quit, you just swipe up on it. Super simple.
    That’s the other problem they’ve inadvertently created, though. Swiping up while using GarageBand and various plugins (to perform the instrument or controller) is impeded with the accidental entry into the mode you described. That happens far less with a physically isolated Home button.

    Use of the whole screen is necessary for a lot of music-based apps and it’s clear Apple forgot this in the change to the new UI.
    edited August 2019 muthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 35 of 48
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    The issue, the question, is NOT what will the phone do this year -- but what will it do over the expected life of the phone.

    Most phones now have a minimum of a 4 year lifecycle -- which means that in a couple years a phone limited to LTE in an urban area will be as limited (or more so) as a 3G phone was just a few years ago. 

    But, yeh, until a technology becomes prevalent, most consumers don't pay a lot of attention -- so today, they're happy with a 4G phone.

    I am still betting though that Apple will not wait another 12 months to release a 5G phone.   Now that they have access to the 5G modem and have had 6 months to incorporate it, waiting another 12 would be only for marketing reasns -- they can release their 5G phone anytime in 2020.   March would be nice.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 36 of 48
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    davgreg said:
    Have a 10 XS and really do not see the need to replace my phone yet.

    As to the whole 5G thing, I really do not see the need for it. Your mileage may vary.

    I commute to a weekend gig through a rural area that only recently got a fully upgraded LTE 4G network and it is my understanding that many of the frequencies being used for 5G will not have the same range or be as robust a signal.

    From what I was told by an engineer who works for AT&T, the biggest beneficiary of the 5G technology will be fixed wireless- especially in rural areas. He was talking about capability- not the business plan of his company. He said that there would be enough capacity to offer rural customers fixed wireless comparable to wired in places where that had not previously been viable. 
    This is interesting for rural customers - dump the traditional ISP for a cellular provider (or a new choice). Satellite ISP's are also gaining traction, providing another choice for rural customers.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,186member

    Until they can figure out how to get 5G to penetrate walls thicker than cardboard, it’s application will be limited (that’s an understatement).

    But my iPhone 7, good as it has been, is nearing its end of life.  I’m looking forward to using my Apple Card to purchase a new iPhone and a new 27” iMac with 3% rewards!  A thousand for the iPhone plus $2.5K for the iMac will get me around $100.  Not huge but I’ll take it.

    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 48
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    JWSC said:

    Until they can figure out how to get 5G to penetrate walls thicker than cardboard, it’s application will be limited (that’s an understatement).

    ....

    Gee Whiz!   All those corporations from all over the world spending multiple Billions of dollars on it are going to be so disappointed.   Plus, all that trouble the Chosen One is going through to block Huawei from setting it up here in the U.S. will turn out to be a wasted effort since it can't work anyway.

    Thanks for letting us know!
  • Reply 39 of 48
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,186member
    tmay said:
    Rajka said:
    I won't be purchasing an iPhone 11. I currently boycott Apple simply because I do not like what it is today, just another behemoth corporation that focuses primarily on shareholder greed rather than its customers. I boycott Apple because that is my best vote, or non-vote in this case. I will, however, continue to buy Apple products (for now) but only for replacement with an Apple device that dies; and then I will purchase the least expensive model. My boycott will last until Apple embraces the core values cultivated by Steve Jobs. Jobs was not perfect, but he demanded from Apple excellence. He dictated that Apple should deliver the very best user experience possible for a modest premium, the so called Apple tax. I agreed with this model and was passionate for Apple for decades, gladly proselytizing Apple at every opportunity. Today, I'm angry with Apple at times and meh at best. I don't expect things to change under Tim Cook. In fact, I expect things to continue to worsen, even as Apple's fortunes rise. But I have hope for his successor. Time will tell. In the meantime, maybe two guys in a garage are building the next great thing and I can jump the platform ship.
    As a Mac 128 user, a hugely expensive machine at that time, I can state that Apple's "core values cultivated by Steve Jobs" is alive and well. Maybe, just maybe, you are the one who has forgotten what those core values actually are. You might not be aware that Apple had that near death experience in 1996, barely survived, and did so only because of the team and culture that Steve Jobs built at Apple, which continues to this day.

    [...]
    128K Macintosh.  1984.  I bought one at Carnegie Mellon in my undergraduate days.  Upgraded to 512K when that became available. Magical days.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 48
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,186member
    GG1 said:
    davgreg said:
    Have a 10 XS and really do not see the need to replace my phone yet.

    As to the whole 5G thing, I really do not see the need for it. Your mileage may vary.

    I commute to a weekend gig through a rural area that only recently got a fully upgraded LTE 4G network and it is my understanding that many of the frequencies being used for 5G will not have the same range or be as robust a signal.

    From what I was told by an engineer who works for AT&T, the biggest beneficiary of the 5G technology will be fixed wireless- especially in rural areas. He was talking about capability- not the business plan of his company. He said that there would be enough capacity to offer rural customers fixed wireless comparable to wired in places where that had not previously been viable. 
    This is interesting for rural customers - dump the traditional ISP for a cellular provider (or a new choice). Satellite ISP's are also gaining traction, providing another choice for rural customers.
    Unfortunately for me, I’m a rural customer.  I used to hate Cox cable when I lived in the burbs.  But god I miss them now.  Our current satellite ISP (for another 6 weeks) is HughesNet.  So, warning to all considering satellite ISPs.  DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES CHOOSE HUGHESNET!!!  They are a borderline criminal enterprise.  But don’t take it from me.  Look up the real reviews (not HughesNet sponsored reviews) on the interwebs.  They are scathing.

    In my own experience I have at best three days of kinda-sorta OK download bandwidth but for the rest of the month it is severely throttled due to criminal oversubscription.  If someone started a class action lawsuit I would definitely be on board.

    Which is why I can’t wait for someone to put out a combo 5G box with rooftop antenna that I could use for the entire household.
    watto_cobra
Sign In or Register to comment.