This 'iPhone 11' case manufacturer is expecting a shorter Apple Pencil

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2019
Accessory producer Olixar is producing cases for the 'iPhone 11 Pro,' with some models sporting a holster to hold a shorter Apple Pencil.

Fueled by countless rumors and analyst predictions, images of the Olixar "Genuine Leather iPhone 11 Pro Case and Apple Pencil Holder" received by retailer MobileFun all feature a square cut-out for the "iPhone 11" camera bump, which is larger to accommodate the predicted three camera lenses and the flash.

Unlike other cases for current-generation iPhone models, though, the images also depict the inclusion of a sleeve designed to hold an Apple Pencil of some sort. There have been predictions by analysts that Apple Pencil support will make it into the iPhone lineup this year, though similar suggestions were made in 2018 for the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max.

The way the Apple Pencil holster is designed for the case images would necessitate the introduction of a new Apple Pencil, if it is to be believed. The first generation of the accessory measures 6.92 inches long, while the second is 6.53 inches in length, both of which are longer than the iPhone XS Max at 6.2 inches.

For the Apple Pencil to be used in such a way, Apple would have to create a new shorter version of the stylus. Quick comparisons suggest that an Apple Pencil would have to be whittled down about two inches to fit in the pocket provided as depicted. Doing so would cut down on battery life as the power source takes up the vast majority of the inside of the device.

A second-generation Apple Pencil next to an iPhone XS Max
A second-generation Apple Pencil next to an iPhone XS Max

While some may take an accessory producer's designs as a confirmation of Apple's work, nearly every case manufacturer has to rely on rumors from the supply chain rather than solid information from Apple. There is no guarantee of what Apple will ultimately launch until it holds its September iPhone event, currently anticipated to take place on September 10.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Gotta say, I'm stumped by Apple Pencil. Tried it out at a retail location, and darned if I could figure out how it works. I suppose if you are an artist, it is likely the greatest thing since sliced raisin toast. But I clicked, I tapped, I tried to draw...all baffling and resulted in strange things on the screen. I guess if you don't know how to use a tool it can't help you. It sure seemed like the least intuitive think from Apple I've tried. YMMV.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    DeNTyDeNTy Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    Since the Apple pencil is stored right next to the inductive charging coils on the iPhone, removing the battery will not be that big a deal. They can likely remove the lightening connector too.
    spock1234
  • Reply 3 of 29
    I don’t know why you’d want Apple Pencil support on an iPhone... the device is to small to write on.  I suppose it could be done (with care) but typing would be faster.
    urahara
  • Reply 4 of 29
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    eightzero said:
    Gotta say, I'm stumped by Apple Pencil. Tried it out at a retail location, and darned if I could figure out how it works. I suppose if you are an artist, it is likely the greatest thing since sliced raisin toast. But I clicked, I tapped, I tried to draw...all baffling and resulted in strange things on the screen. I guess if you don't know how to use a tool it can't help you. It sure seemed like the least intuitive think from Apple I've tried. YMMV.

Not even sure what to say to this!?!?
    tmayvirtualshiftfastasleepspock1234uraharaalphafoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 29
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    I don’t know why you’d want Apple Pencil support on an iPhone... the device is to small to write on.  I suppose it could be done (with care) but typing would be faster.

Because Apple is waaaaaaay behind on this one. Samsung devices have had this feature for years!!!

*snark*
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 29
    mjtomlin said:
    eightzero said:

Yeah, me neither. I guess if I invested some time in watching a tutorial or read some instructions on how to use this device, it would all be clear. I would do that if I had a compelling reason. I don't. YMMV. But I think any technology that requires an instruction manual is failed technology. 

OTOH, I might now be like the grandmas we laugh at that lift their glasses at the screen and yell "WHICH ONE IS THE 'ANY' KEY?"
    edited August 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 29
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    mjtomlin said:

Because Apple is waaaaaaay behind on this one. Samsung devices have had this feature for years!!!

*snark*
    Yeah, because having a stylus on a phone is so popular these day! That's why so many companies ship styluses with their phones like Samsung, Samsung and don't forget Samsung! The only people I see using styluses while commuting are +50. Perhaps you are on that age group or you just think it'd great to have one on a tiny screen?
    spock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 29
    2old4fun2old4fun Posts: 239member
    eightzero said:
    It is a stylus. More accurate than a finger. My wife uses hers on her iPad Pro 11” to play games such as Words With Friends, Candy Crush and what ever. She loves it. She would use a Pencil with her iPhone if it supported it. Words With Friends is a little harder on the iPhone X. And if it attached like the current Pencil, it would suit her needs/wants. You can sketch in Notes, and I have done that a few times when trying to explain something.
    tmayapplesnorangesspock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 29
    gutengel said:
    mjtomlin said:

*snark*
    Yeah, because having a stylus on a phone is so popular these day! That's why so many companies ship styluses with their phones like Samsung, Samsung and don't forget Samsung! The only people I see using styluses while commuting are +50. Perhaps you are on that age group or you just think it'd great to have one on a tiny screen?
    You whiffed pretty badly on this one bud.  It was just a snarky joke throwing shade at Samsung.  I mean @mjtomlin even put *snark* in there to avoid a Poe's Law situation.  Yet, here we are. :s

On topic:  stylus support on iPhones is not a game changer but would be a nice addition for those who want it.  I don't think Apple should change the phone to accommodate the stylus inside (unless it's a separate unit like the Note vs S series for Samsung).  Otherwise, cases can solve the carry issue. Those who want, get.  Those who don't, don't get.  Simple.
    edited August 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 29
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Is battery life so much of an issue with the Apple Pencil now that it charges whenever you snap it to the side of an iDevice? I imagine I wouldn’t use it for extended periods on an iPhone anyway.
    applesnoranges
  • Reply 11 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    eightzero said:
    Use it in the Procreate app if they have it in the showroom models.
    spock1234alphafoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 29
    dwidwi Posts: 8member
    Man, I would jump on this real quick. I've still got an iPhone 6 because I only upgrade if there's a feature compelling to me, or the phone dies. I upgraded from a 4 to a 6 because the compelling feature was the larger screen. I would upgrade tomorrow for pencil support. I jot a lot of notes, which I is why I want it. I've tried using an iPad, but find it inconvenient to tote around. A notepad in my pocket though - that I would go for.
    macplusplusalphafoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 29
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Not sure where they could fit the charging coil and/or magnets for the pencil into the phone. It's already tight for space, and everyone keeps saying they want a bigger battery.

Maybe for "Pro" phones only, and then maybe only the "Max" size? But it will still eat into battery life.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be a useful option for some types of work with the phone, but I'm not sure it makes sense to take up that much space in the phone for an option most users likely won't actually buy.

The iPad has a lot more room to fit that stuff in, and the Pencil was actually a selling point of the Pro series, at least until it became available for all iPads. Even then, only the Pro has the charging coil/magnet arrangement for the Pencil 2. (And the Air, which is basically the previous Pro 10.5" version.)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 29
    eightzero said:
    Use it in the Procreate app if they have it in the showroom models.
    I'll look for it, thanks. Now I think about it, most showroom models run some sort of sales pitch ad - a demo mode thingy. I wonder if it displays a Apple Pencil tutorial. Guess I am so used to macs and iOS devices being familiar and self-explanatory, I may have sort of skipped that. I'll need to look again. Others are all oooohhhh and ahhhh about Apple Pencil, I feel I am missing out. Sorta the same way I feel about Siri. 
  • Reply 15 of 29
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I use the Apple Pencil a bit on the iPad Pro. I am using it now, but generally I believe it is more suited to special applications.Two observations:
    I would use a a lot less on an iPhone.
    The Apple Pencil is not integrated enough to justify for most people. The most basic example is there is no systemwide support  to use the pencil to enter text rather than a keyboard.
    spock1234
  • Reply 16 of 29
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    eightzero said:
    eightzero said:
    mjtomlin said:
    eightzero said:

Yeah, me neither. I guess if I invested some time in watching a tutorial or read some instructions on how to use this device, it would all be clear. I would do that if I had a compelling reason. I don't. YMMV. But I think any technology that requires an instruction manual is failed technology. 

OTOH, I might now be like the grandmas we laugh at that lift their glasses at the screen and yell "WHICH ONE IS THE 'ANY' KEY?"
    Not sure how yours was broken, but both mine and the in-store samples are stone simple -- open Notes or a drawing app, and draw.

It definitely doesn't require a manual. 
    edited August 2019 fastasleepspock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 29
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    crowley said:
    Is battery life so much of an issue with the Apple Pencil now that it charges whenever you snap it to the side of an iDevice? I imagine I wouldn’t use it for extended periods on an iPhone anyway.
    Why would inductive charging imply there's an "issue" with the Pencil's battery? It works great.
    spock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 29

eightzero said:
    mjtomlin said:
    eightzero said:

You literally tap the lock screen with the Pencil and it takes you straight to Notes, in which you can immediately draw by default. Not sure anyone else besides you needs a manual, it's probably the most intuitive and simple Apple accessory I've ever bought.
    spock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 29

The way the Apple Pencil holster is designed for the case images would necessitate the introduction of a new Apple Pencil, if it is to be believed. The first generation of the accessory measures 6.92 inches long, while the second is 6.53 inches in length, both of which are longer than the iPhone XS Max at 6.2 inches.

For the Apple Pencil to be used in such a way, Apple would have to create a new shorter version of the stylus. Quick comparisons suggest that an Apple Pencil would have to be whittled down about two inches to fit in the pocket provided as depicted. 
    Or, it's entirely possible the rest of the Pencil would just stick out past the top of the iPhone however far it sticks out. The section above the opening is flat, as you can clearly see in the images, so it's not like it restricts the height of the Pencil by any means. As silly as that'd look in practice, it certainly doesn't "necessitate the introduction of a new Apple Pencil".
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 29
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    Why would inductive charging imply there's an "issue" with the Pencil's battery? It works great.
    Huh?  Not sure what you've taken there, I wasn't implying any issue with the battery; quite the opposite, battery life is going to be less of an issue if the Pencil is being charged passively while in storage.