Samsung trying to fight iMessage chat elitists with response graphic gallery

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2019
Samsung wants owners of its smartphones to know that they can respond to iPhone owners cutting them out of chats -- but they may not want to use what Samsung has provided.

Sampling of Samsung's anti-iMessage response graphics
Sampling of Samsung's anti-iMessage response graphics

Samsung has published a series of animated GIF files on Giphy, all ostensibly usable to respond to iPhone users that give them grief because of a green Messages bar.

This was all born because Apple's Messages app handles messages from outside the ecosystem differently. All messages sent from an iOS device or Mac associated with an iCloud account get the blue bar, with other messaging services like SMS getting a green bar.

Group chats in iMessages can also misbehave or render strangely when dealing with SMS senders and recipients. Apple-specific graphics outside of Unicode-mandated emoji won't display well, if at all, on the Android devices, which can leave vital context out of chats.

Given that the Galaxy fold is almost $2000, they should probably reconsider the stack of cash one
Given that the Galaxy fold is almost $2000, Samsung should probably reconsider the stack of cash one

Samsung is aggressively pushing the gallery on Instagram, and trying to get social media traction for the initiative with the hashtag #GreenDontCare. It doesn't appear to be going that well at the moment.

The graphics posted on Giphy are universal, and come in white background and no background versions. Thanks to our tipster that "blessed" us with a few, we can confirm that all of the graphics render properly on Android clients, and in iMessages.

All of the graphics are hosted on Giphy. We'll spare you the bandwidth of the animated ones.
lolliver

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    "Thanks to our tipster that "blessed" us with a few, we can confirm that all of the graphics render properly on Android clients, and in iMessages."

Apple, block them.

edited August 2019 jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 39
    Yeesh. If I didn't already have an iPhone, these sad illustrations would make me want to do whatever it took to get one. They also make me appreciate how difficult it must be for Samsung to compete with Apple in the U.S. culture-wise.

Swing-and-a-miss.
    AppleExposedlolliverolscornchipjbdragonjcs2305FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 39
    For the love of god, can’t Sammy pay for a decent graphic designer? I think they just ask a random employee to do it. 
    randominternetpersonlordjohnwhorfinlolliverolschiastompycornchipjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 39
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    viclauyyc said:
    For the love of god, can’t Sammy pay for a decent graphic designer? I think they just ask a random employee to do it. 
    The graphics are actually pretty good in that they were clearly copying (copying - it’s what they’re good at) the style of the Adventure Time cartoon on the Cartoon Network.  My son used to watch that show.

Are the graphics effective for their intended audience?  Who can say.  They’re Android people after all.
    AppleExposedGG1pscooter63radarthekatgordykuraiFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 39
    Yeesh. If I didn't already have an iPhone, these sad illustrations would make me want to do whatever it took to get one. They also make me appreciate how difficult it must be for Samsung to compete with Apple in the U.S. culture-wise.

Swing-and-a-miss.

So petty. They're always envious of Apples products and services.

If they make such a deal about them maybe Sammy should have invented the iPhone.
    lolliverjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 39
    JWSC said:
    viclauyyc said:
    The graphics are actually pretty good in that they were clearly copying (copying - it’s what they’re good at) the style of the Adventure Time cartoon on the Cartoon Network.  My son used to watch that show.

Are the graphics effective for their intended audience?  Who can say.  They’re Android people after all.
    Good to know.... the Cartoon Network is willing to hire people completely lacking in artistic talent.  I’d be perfect for that job...
    JWSCtaddlolliverjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 39
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    That's great marketing... Bring attention to your main competitor with obvious envy.

Hasn't Samsung copied Apple's iMessage yet?
    GG1AppleExposedlolliverdysamoriachiaminicoffeecornchipjbdragonFileMakerFellerchasm
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Why do the "DONT CARE" hands only have 3 fingers and a thumb?  Most people I know have more.

Why is that iguana humping a green torpedo?

Why is that purple monkey (?) with something shoved up its ass blowing a green bubble?

Could these be any worse?
    lollivercornchipjbdragonFileMakerFellerchasmwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 10 of 39
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Hard to see how these got out into the wild. Kind of like those internal MS promotion videos for projects that were (rightly) killed by management. (Remember that song-making one?)

All they're doing by releasing these things is that they do actually care about not being able to connect to iMessage for some reason. It's the only interpretation. As such, management should kill them now before the late night TV shows get hold of it.
    lolliverchiajbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 39
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    I can't stand when an Android user is in a group chat and it defaults to the awfully outdated SMS protocol - it restricts what you can do (for example if you want to drop out or exclude a member, can't control that) . My daughter who uses an iPhone would text a group of her friends, one of which had an Android, so the whole thread becomes SMS based. I really could care less, until you realize that now all pictures & data sent within the group text count against your data plan - believe me it adds up quickly. I told my daughter I'd buy her friend an iPhone just to avoid my data getting hosed every month. Most Android users don't realize the flexibility of iMessage. It truly is a "killer app" that Apple should market more.
    lolliverdysamoriacornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    These look like they were done in a hurry. 

This is so desperate I actually feel sorry for them. 
    lollivercornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 39
    anome said:
    Hard to see how these got out into the wild. Kind of like those internal MS promotion videos for projects that were (rightly) killed by management. (Remember that song-making one?)

All they're doing by releasing these things is that they do actually care about not being able to connect to iMessage for some reason. It's the only interpretation. As such, management should kill them now before the late night TV shows get hold of it.
    They aren't Apple.

People will forgive their envy and nitpick the latest Apple "gate".
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 39
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Other than how regrettably lame these are, the green bubble is unpopular for good reason: it means the text wasn’t free, and that the recipient can’t engage an array of fun features like piling up stickers, text effects or use features like facetime. That’s nothing to celebrate or have some bizarre arbitrary pride. 
    JWSCAppleExposedlolliverdysamoriachiauraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 39
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    FYI I've only heard these referred to as "chat bubbles", not "bars". eg, blue bubble. The term refers to the speech bubble/balloon from comics, which iOS adopted with the little tail on the end of the chat message.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speech_balloon
    lolliverdysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 39
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Other than how regrettably lame these are, the green bubble is unpopular for good reason: it means the text wasn’t free, and that the recipient can’t engage an array of fun features like piling up stickers, text effects or use features like facetime. That’s nothing to celebrate or have some bizarre arbitrary pride. 
    It also isn’t secure.

What I find weird is
    • I was not aware there was such a thing as people actually getting consciously* excluded cause they have a green bubble. What sort of a tool would you be to do that to someone?
    • why Samsung thought this is good marketing.it is more of an own goal. It emphasises the superior capabilities of a competitor product.
    * I could believe it might happen unconsciously if the texters were using some iMessage features that don’t render properly in SMS, but that is kinda like missing out on a party organised via Facebook if you don’t have a Facebook account. Annoying, but you’ll live.
    edited August 2019 lolliverAppleExposeduraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 39
    viclauyyc said:
    Designed by Stevie Wonder.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 39
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    FYI I've only heard these referred to as "chat bubbles", not "bars". eg, blue bubble. The term refers to the speech bubble/balloon from comics, which iOS adopted with the little tail on the end of the chat message.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speech_balloon
    Yeah, I didn’t know what the article meant at first...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 39
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    It’s funny that, if I remember correctly from a story posted here, Apple tried to get the cell companies to take iMessage as an SMS replacement. Companies said no. Apple turned it into an Apple-unique, and apparently desirable, feature.

The notion of any marketing that points out the envy or whatever this is supposed to be... it’s so wrongheaded.
    AppleExposedcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 39
    dysamoria said:
    It’s funny that, if I remember correctly from a story posted here, Apple tried to get the cell companies to take iMessage as an SMS replacement. Companies said no. Apple turned it into an Apple-unique, and apparently desirable, feature.

The notion of any marketing that points out the envy or whatever this is supposed to be... it’s so wrongheaded.

History repeats.

I do wish android/Windows users can get FaceTime/iMessage for a monthly fee.
    watto_cobra