Apple says clean Apple Card with a microfiber cloth, avoid contact with leather and denim

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2019
With physical Apple Cards now making their way into the hands of consumers across the U.S., Apple this week offered up a few tips for cleaning, caring for and storing the titanium card with its specialized finish.

Apple Card

A "How to clean your Apple Card" explainer was posted to Apple's website as a Support Pages document on Tuesday, describing steps users should take to maintain the condition of their shiny new credit card.

If and when the card gets grimy, Apple suggests wiping it gently with a soft, slightly damp, lint-free microfiber cloth. As a second step, users can moisten a microfiber cloth with isopropyl alcohol and wipe again. Basic household cleaners, compressed air, aerosol sprays, solvents, ammonia or abrasives should not be applied to Apple Card, Apple says.

Interestingly, certain fabrics like leather and denim could permanently discolor the card's matte white finish, which is achieved through a multi-layer coating process. That same coating might be damaged if it comes in contact with hard surfaces or materials.

As AppleInsider noted in its unboxing and hands-on last week, the white layer covers the face and back of Apple Card. Logos for Apple, Goldman Sachs and Mastercard are etched through the finish and into the titanium card below, while the cardholder's name is printed on the front surface.

To avoid nicks, scratches and other unwanted ill effects, Apple advises users to store Apple Card in a wallet, pocket or soft bag away from hard objects and other cards.

Because it's a credit card with a mag stripe, Apple Card should not be stored or placed near magnets as the strip could become demagnetized.

If a card is damaged (gasp!), lost or stolen, customers can request a replacement directly in Apple Card's Settings menu in the Wallet app under the "Physical Card" heading.

Apple opened applications for Apple Card on Tuesday following a brief preview period in which select Apple Pay customers were granted early access to the product. With a digital-first format, heavy reliance on touchless transactions and deep integration with the Wallet app and Apple Pay, Apple Card is a unique credit card solution that promises to make Apple's ecosystem all the more sticky.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    tdknoxtdknox Posts: 82member
    So, people who have leather wallets should just not carry the card?
    entropyssandortaddJWSCpscooter63bonobobdysamoriadesignrchemengin1Drummerlad
  • Reply 2 of 74
    > "leather and denim could permanently discolor"  
    Uhh, no one thought that we might put this card in a leather wallet?
    larryjwsandortaddJWSCdysamoriachemengin1muthuk_vanalingamanantksundaramCarnagedavgreg
  • Reply 3 of 74
    “Interestingly, certain fabrics like leather and denim could permanently discolor the card's matte white finish.” I'm going to go ahead and assume that the genius’s at Apple forgot that 90% of wallets are made of leather. 
    edited August 2019 sootansandortaddJWSCdjames4242dysamoriarazorpitchemengin1muthuk_vanalingammattinoz
  • Reply 4 of 74
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    Too funny. Your jeans or someone's purse/wallet may discolor the card. I'm being a bit facetious since I use the paper sleeves to protect the look of my cards... but really?

I am definitely taking special care to keep my Apple Card looking like new.
    edited August 2019 rhulevawatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 74
    tdknox said:
    So, people who have leather wallets should just not carry the card?
    The leather itself isn't going to damage it, but my guess is that crappy leather containing cheap dyes might stain it. That's what I think Apple is referring to. So basically...it depends.
    spock1234macguiwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 74
    Foaming SolventFoaming Solvent Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Just yesterday I wondered how to clean the card, after the woman at the Wendy's drive-thru handed it back with a big greasy thumbprint on it that would not wipe off.  Now I know.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 74
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    leather? Denim? This extreme form over function can’t really be justified.

i remember when white iphones could not be released for six months until the colour fastness and tint was perfect. Not modern Apple.
    dysamoriasvanstromdavgregzoetmbjcc
  • Reply 8 of 74
    taddtadd Posts: 136member
    Will Apple replace this card for free if it is lost or damaged like Chase, Citibank, BankOfAmerica, WellsFargo, Truist, Fifth Third,  and the rest will?  From the article, it looks like they will.  So not so important?
       Tadd
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 9 of 74
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    I see another consumer product from Apple -- Apple Wallet wallet -- for only $169.95
    edited August 2019 taddsandorapplesnorangesJWSCmwhitetyler82lordjohnwhorfinbonobobdysamoriabig kc
  • Reply 10 of 74
    scam
    chemengin1anantksundaramdavgreg
  • Reply 11 of 74
    larryjw said:
    I see another consumer product from Apple -- Apple Wallet wallet -- for only $169.95
    Too funny 😂 

What features could we build into an Apple wallet:
    RFID blocking?
    Anyone else care to continue this thread?

JWSCdavgreg
  • Reply 12 of 74
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    dev tty01 said:
    > "leather and denim could permanently discolor"  
    Uhh, no one thought that we might put this card in a leather wallet?
    cdickgo said:
    “Interestingly, certain fabrics like leather and denim could permanently discolor the card's matte white finish.” I'm going to go ahead and assume that the genius’s at Apple forgot that 90% of wallets are made of leather. 
    uh oh! With all the people who are getting the Apple Card just 'cause it looks cool, this could case a major impact in the number of users!
  • Reply 13 of 74
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    So odd that Apple chose titanium when they had the experience of the original titanium PowerBook, which didn’t wear well with discoloration.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 14 of 74
    Next Apple Product:  titanium Apple Card holder
    dysamoria
  • Reply 15 of 74
    WGWG Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I guess those who have it will store it in a specially designed glass box that Apple will sell as an accessory that you can also use as a phone case for your uber-expensive iPhone.
    dysamoriamuthuk_vanalingamdavgreg
  • Reply 16 of 74
    Unbelievable. I need to clean a credit card with a microfiber cloth? This will happen never. I plan on in bedding it crystal and put it on display.
  • Reply 17 of 74
    Just bought a Apple Card bumper case. And got AppleCare+ for Apple Card.  Good to go...
    edited August 2019 dysamoriasvanstromretrogustospock1234muthuk_vanalingamwillcropointanantksundaramCarnage
  • Reply 18 of 74
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Can't wait for Apple Umbrella, beautiful but avoid water.
    bonobobdysamoriaseanismorrislarryjwsvanstromMplsPsaarekmuthuk_vanalingamanantksundaramurahara
  • Reply 19 of 74
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    When are the apple card cases coming out?
    dysamoriamuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 74
    How about the Apple Card® Socks?
    king editor the grateCloudTalkindysamoriamuthuk_vanalingamanantksundaramentropysuraharadavgreg