Apple releases eighth developer betas of iOS 13, iPadOS 13 & watchOS 6 [u]

Posted:
in iOS edited August 2019
As the launch of its milestone operating systems grows nearer, Apple provides an eighth generation of developers betas for iOS 13, iPadOS 13, and watchOS 6

iOS 13's 'Dark Mode'
iOS 13's 'Dark Mode'

The latest iterations of the operating system betas can be downloaded via the Apple Developer Center by those taking part in the test program, or for devices enrolled into the scheme, as an over-the-air update. Public beta versions of the same developer betas usually surface within a few days, but typically have less of a delay the further along the beta process the software gets.

August is also usually a time when the periods between builds shortens, ready for the anticipated release in the fall along with new iPhone models. The seventh builds were released on August 15, eight days after the sixth builds on August 7.

An eighth beta of tvOS 13 have not yet been released at the time of publication.

AppleInsider, and Apple itself, highly recommend users don't install the betas on primary devices or "mission critical" hardware, as there is the remote possibility of issues, like data loss. Testers should install betas onto secondary or non-essential devices, and to always ensure there are sufficient backups of important data before updating.

Find any changes in the new betas? Reach out to us on Twitter at @AppleInsider or @Andrew_OSU, or send Andrew an email at [email protected].

Update: Apple has also released public beta versions of iOS 13 and iPadOS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Not getting new phones this year, as it’s an in between year for us. But I am looking forwards to a new Watch and iPad. Hopefully with, as they sometimes have, features that we don’t see in the present iOS 13 betas.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 2 of 13
    dang it, just upgraded to iPadOS b7 this morning.

Anyone know how recent iOS versions are faring? thus far iPadOS has been hot garbage, no way it can release in three weeks. Hoping that this just means they're focusing on iOS and punting iPadOS for October.
    flyingdp
  • Reply 3 of 13
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Anyone know if these betas re-patch the vulnerability that was un-patched? Be interesting to see how quickly Apple responds to their goofs.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    The last beta had a huge bug that caused Blackberry Work to crash on startup. Millions of people use that every day (hour) to get things done... I am installing this update hoping it fixes the problem. Otherwise I'll probably have to wipe and restore to the non-dev version. (I know, I know, they say don't put it on your main phone, but, ...)
  • Reply 5 of 13
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,331member
    booga said:
    The last beta had a huge bug that caused Blackberry Work to crash on startup. Millions of people use that every day (hour) to get things done... I am installing this update hoping it fixes the problem. Otherwise I'll probably have to wipe and restore to the non-dev version. (I know, I know, they say don't put it on your main phone, but, ...)
    If millions of people are relying on a Beta release of software to get things done - they are the problem, not the software.
    virtualshiftStrangeDayslolliverfastasleepmike1
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Eric_WVGG said:
    dang it, just upgraded to iPadOS b7 this morning.

Anyone know how recent iOS versions are faring? thus far iPadOS has been hot garbage, no way it can release in three weeks. Hoping that this just means they're focusing on iOS and punting iPadOS for October.
    I understand it's still in beta but usually this far into the beta process the OS is getting pretty refined. Presently iOS 13 beta 7 (and iPadOS beta) still has serious bugs with a lot of first-party software (Mail, iCloud interactions, iWork suite, Calendar, Reminders).
    I can't see them releasing a general iOS update in time for "end-of-summer" unless they can really pull a rabbit out of the hat.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    The time between the developer betas and the public betas is now so short that I finished installing the new public beta a few minutes ago.
    lolliver
  • Reply 8 of 13
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    booga said:
    It’s a beta. For developers and testers.
    lolliverfastasleep
  • Reply 9 of 13
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    booga said:
    Yes, and I’m a developer. What’s your point? I admitted I put it on my main phone against recommendation. It’s still one of the most-used apps on iOS for a certain segment of user, and it’s supposed to be released in a few weeks. 
  • Reply 10 of 13
    dewme said:
    booga said:
    If millions of people are relying on a Beta release of software to get things done - they are the problem, not the software.
    Pretty sure he was referring to the Blackberry Work when he made the comment about how many people depend on it, not the beta of iOS.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    booga said:
    booga said:
    Yes, and I’m a developer. What’s your point? I admitted I put it on my main phone against recommendation. It’s still one of the most-used apps on iOS for a certain segment of user, and it’s supposed to be released in a few weeks. 
    So the real question here, and you know it because you are a developer, is whether it’s the OS that’s at fault, or the app. If it’s the OS, hopefully it’s a minor problem Apple can work out. If it’s the app, I don’t expect Apple to bend over to just get that working. It’s then up to the app developer to fix their problem.

we should all know that OS providers make certain that developers know of most areas they’re not supposed to be messing with, because those may change in a later OS upgrade. So memory locations, etc., which sometimes developers use to speed up their work may not be available to them later. That’s their fault. Even Apple’s own app developers have been guilty of that from time to time.

without knowing who’s at fault, we can’t expect anything to change about this app until after the official OS release. It’s possible that not even then will a fix be available. It may never happen.

I've got an app I use all the time (Audio Tools). When the first developer beta came out the developer said to not upgrade to it because their app wasn’t working with it. Fortunately, I just beta my main iPad Pro 12.9”. My phone isn’t, and my older iPads aren’t either. So I could still use it. Through most of the betas, this app would crash upon opening. But then, a couple of weeks ago, they released an app update that fixed the issue. Whatever the problem, they needed to release an update for it. It’s very possible that you will need an update to Blackberry Work for it to be usable again. That’s not really on Apple.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    looplessloopless Posts: 325member
    iPadOS 13 has been super solid for me for the last couple of betas. I use it daily with no real issues except a few cosmetic ones. Some apps crash, but by this point that's on the app developer. If BlackBerry work crashes on startup that's likely a bug in the app. Blaming Apple is just wrong.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    One bug that was fixed in this latest release is in the native Mail app. The new mail indicator on the message list wast disappearing when you read the massage. It’s working now.