Apple says clean Apple Card with a microfiber cloth, avoid contact with leather and denim

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    It’s basically painted.

Apple’s video shows the coating being sprayed on.

The finish is very plastic looking. I was expecting it to be metallic. When I opened the package my first impression was that it had a plastic protective film on it. I picked my nail at the corner for a second before I realized that was the finish coating.

This coating appears to be something very special though. If the video is genuine, the card is laser de-bossed after it is coated. It’s unbelievable that the laser does not discolor the coating!

It makes sense to have a coating because raw titanium looks awful. They certainly did not use titanium for the look of it. Actually, if they ruled out using plastic, they had no choice but to use titanium. Titanium is more or less the only metal that could be relied on to stay flat and not get bent out of shape during everyday use.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 42 of 74
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    JWSC said:
    So odd that Apple chose titanium when they had the experience of the original titanium PowerBook, which didn’t wear well with discoloration.
    Titanium is the only metal that can be relied on to stay flat. This is because it has a very high yield strength and does not suffer plastic (permanent) deformation when other metals do.

Titanium does not look good without some kind of coating. The color of raw titanium is very uneven, brownish and has tough dirty looking oxides.

The PowerBook was a big problem because of the way oils from a users skins discolored the finish.

For the card Apple decided to paint the titanium white.

I can’t wait to see what kind of coating they are using on the upcoming titanium Apple Watch. It’s a solved problem in the watch industry. The finishes used on premium watches are likely way too expensive for use on a credit card.

At the end of the day if Apple Card starts looking really scratched up or dirty - just tap the “Request Replacement Card” button.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 43 of 74
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    Apple Card is the epitome of fanboyism. There’s nothing special about this card other than the Apple logo, for which too many people get an erection. 

aknabiseanjCarnagebigtdsgordydavgregfreshmakerchemengin1
  • Reply 44 of 74
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    So typically Apple, design something pretty that looks like shit within a week unless you keep it in a protective case!

I fondly remember putting a giant see through sticker/laminate on my PowerBook G4 Titanium to protect it. Made of the same materials as fighter jets they said, scratches easily and looks crap if you don’t buy a protector was not something they mentioned. Looks like they didn’t learn their lesson the last time.
  • Reply 45 of 74
    sunman42sunman42 Posts: 264member
    Sorry, Apple. I use a leather wallet (though only the edges and exteriors of the card sleeves are leather). More to the point I don't want to use a card that would enhance the revenues of a company that admitted in federal court to lying to buyers of its tranched mortgage products in the run-up to the Great Recession. I'm sorry Apple chose them.
    seanj
  • Reply 46 of 74
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Jony Ive’s last and greatest folly?
    davgreg
  • Reply 47 of 74
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 429member
    Thos wearing jeans and have a wallet in the back pocket need not apply ;)
  • Reply 48 of 74
    sirozha said:
    Apple Card is the epitome of fanboyism. There’s nothing special about this card other than the Apple logo, for which too many people get an erection. 

Nothing wrong with an erection.
    uraharagordy
  • Reply 49 of 74
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I'm thinking and nice polished wood base then sealing it a glass case and mounting it on the mantlepiece is probably the safest way to go.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 50 of 74
    sirozha said:

Exactly. People without erection is people without life.  :)
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 51 of 74
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    mpantone said:
    Waiting for the questions
    • "Do I need to use distilled water or is plain tap water okay? What about bottled water?
    Acqua di Cristallo Tributo a Modigliani - $60,000 Per 750ml - should be OK.
  • Reply 52 of 74
    I think Apple might be referring to the crappy leather which can spoil the titanium finish and lead to discoloration.
  • Reply 53 of 74
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Who knew Titanium was so finicky?
  • Reply 54 of 74
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    gordy said:
    Who knew Titanium was so finicky?
    It's not even titanium surface though. This is coated like it should be. I'm not sure if Apple's playing abundance of caution or not.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 55 of 74
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    mpantone said:
    Waiting for the questions

• "What color microfiber cloth should I use?"
    • "Do I need to use distilled water or is plain tap water okay? What about bottled water?"
    • "Do I wipe horizontally or vertically?"
    • "I got a small scratch on my Apple Card. Can I take it to an Apple Store and have it replaced? Will it be a new one or a refurbished card?"
    • "I'm allergic to titanium. Can I get a ceramic Apple Card instead?"
    • "What brand laundry detergent should I use to clean my microfiber cloths? Does it need to be unscented?"

The possibilities are mind boggling!

:p 
    Only Apple branded water and cloths are approved for cleaning your new DigiCard. The water can be purchased at the Apple store for $49.99 an ounce and comes in a beautiful crystal decanter. The new Apple microfiber cleaning cloth with Bluetooth vibrates at precisely the right rate for optimum cleaning of your new Apple DigiCard. The cloth can be charged with a Lightning connector or wirelessly with a new contactless charging pad. The Bluetooth Cleaning Cloth costs $149.99 and the contactless charger costs $49.99. All of these are available with AppleCare +.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 56 of 74
    Jony Ive’s last and greatest folly?
    Yes, he only spent 5 years designing this card. Blood, sweat and tears, I tell you.
    MplsP
  • Reply 57 of 74

sirozha said:

At the wrong time that can be a problem.
  • Reply 58 of 74
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    Just yesterday I wondered how to clean the card, after the woman at the Wendy's drive-thru handed it back with a big greasy thumbprint on it that would not wipe off.  Now I know.
    Genuine question: since I visit a drive through food establishment about once a decade, I'm curious if any of them deploy an Apple Pay reader. Anyone do that?

I will never use the physical Apple Card because of its low cash back, so it stays tucked nicely into its original packaging in a locked drawer.
  • Reply 59 of 74
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    sirozha said:

You're both right and wrong - there are a lot of people who are excited just because it's an Apple product, but it's also not a bad card. It depends on why and how you use your credit cards, but I'd say it's in the top third to quarter of cards. Interest rates are reasonable, but shouldn't matter. The no fees policy is unheard of. The cash back bonus is certainly better than most. 

The security benefits can be achieved with most other standard credit cards; the one unique feature is how it automatically uses virtual account numbers, making it easy to cancel and re-issue them. Others have done this in the past but none with the same level of ease and simplicity. 

• Reply 60 of 74
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    This is just a feature mirroring the changing colours of your virtual card on your iPhone. But honestly, why didn't design the card with a sandblasted finish like their Macs?