The OtterBox OtterSpot is a stackable Qi wireless charger and battery system

Posted:
in General Discussion
Otterbox, known for its rugged life-proof phone and tablet cases, is releasing a new Qi-certified wireless charging system with detachable batteries dubbed the OtterSpot.

The OtterSpot wireless charging system
The OtterSpot wireless charging system

The charging system, called the OtterSpot, features a charging base and optional charging pads. The charging base can be used to charge multiple OtterBox wireless charging batteries at once, making it an ideal charging solution for families with multiple devices.

"OtterSpot offers portable wireless charging so the low battery warning is never an issue. The ability to charge multiple batteries and devices at once ensures everyone in the home or office has a fully charged device all day long," said OtterBox CEO Jim Parke in the press release.

The batteries, once charged, provide 5,000mAhs of battery storage and up to 10-watt wireless charge speeds. The batteries can also be charged via USB-C port, in addition to charging devices through the same port. This enables users to charge up the batteries when away from the charging pad, or to charge other devices in their arsenal that may not have the ability to charge wirelessly.

The OtterSpot Wireless Charging System starts at $129.95 and gives the users the charging base and one OtterSpot Wireless battery. If users which to expand their system, additional batteries can be purchased for $69.95.

Launching alongside the OtterSpot are two other products-- the OtterBox OtterBox Wireless Charging Pad which retails for $49.95, as well as the OtterBox Wireless Charging Pad and Stand, which retails for $59.95. The Charging Stand gives users the ability to use their device in both landscape and portrait mode.

Other wireless chargers we've seen released recently include the AirUnleashed, a charging solution for the iPhone, Apple Watch, and AirPods, and the Nomad Base Station.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Awesome idea, but way overpriced IMHO. I was interested in getting one until I got sticker shock. 
    perkedelwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Awesome idea, but way overpriced IMHO. I was interested in getting one until I got sticker shock. 
    early sales prices of all new otter box products are crazy overpriced - wait a few months for the prices to drop via amazon.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Very clever. 🙂
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    It seems like there's a lot of wasted energy between all the components. Curious to see how fast the charging works. And why is it a circle? Batteries are square, if the point is "portability" this thing is occupying more space than necessary in your pocket...
  • Reply 5 of 9
    gutengel said:
    It seems like there's a lot of wasted energy between all the components. Curious to see how fast the charging works. And why is it a circle? Batteries are square, if the point is "portability" this thing is occupying more space than necessary in your pocket...
    It’s circular to match the coil on the back of the iPhone. You could get a charger that is square, but the coil inside is usually circular. 

It would be nice to see Apple advance this technology to be more efficient, and have a larger radius so that you don’t have to keep adjusting the phone on the pad to make sure contact is made to charge the device. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    gutengel said:
    Charging speed for each phone is determined by the phone manufacturer.  iPhone will charge at up to 7.5 watt speed.  Other brands will charge at different speeds.  The base of the OtterSpot can push out a total of 36 watts.  From the article, each portable pad can push up to 10 watts.

Nobody really carries portable batteries in the pocket of their clothes.  That's typically stored in their bag or backpack.

@hammeroftruth - try a stand instead of a pad.  Heckuva lot easier to align transmitter and receiver.

On topic: Conceptually nice but overpriced imo.  To get the set up pictured in the video, you're coughing up $340. For wireless chargers that have to be recharged... sorta kills the convenience factor.  If one wants wireless charging, why not spend $100 or less and get decent charging pads, place them around the home and call it a day?  If you want wireless charging to go, spend $30-$40 and get a 25000 mAh power bank.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 7 of 9
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    gutengel said:
    It’s circular to match the coil on the back of the iPhone. You could get a charger that is square, but the coil inside is usually circular. 

It would be nice to see Apple advance this technology to be more efficient, and have a larger radius so that you don’t have to keep adjusting the phone on the pad to make sure contact is made to charge the device. 
    I agree with your point on Apple advancing this tech. I'm aware on the coils being circular, but I haven't seen any coil wider than an iPhone. However, I'd have to see one of these open, perhaps they are taking advantage of the whole space inside the disk.

@CloudTalkin just because you don't carry a power-bank with you all the time, doesn't mean they shouldn't make the thing as compact as possible, after all they call it a "portable system". I carry batteries in my pocket when I know I'm using heavy use of my phone away from power. 
  • Reply 8 of 9
    gutengel said:
    gutengel said:

I agree with your point on Apple advancing this tech. I'm aware on the coils being circular, but I haven't seen any coil wider than an iPhone. However, I'd have to see one of these open, perhaps they are taking advantage of the whole space inside the disk.

@CloudTalkin just because you don't carry a power-bank with you all the time, doesn't mean they shouldn't make the thing as compact as possible, after all they call it a "portable system". I carry batteries in my pocket when I know I'm using heavy use of my phone away from power. 
    We're talking about wireless portable charging, not a standard power bank.  The transmitter has to be sufficiently large enough to do it's job.  What you're trying to describe doesn't exist. Unless we're taking the conversation outside the realm of reality and into fantasy, you're going to get a not-poketable portable wireless charger.  It's not like this is new.  You can literally purchase them (portable wireless charging banks) on Amazon right now.  Portability isn't typically defined by "carry in pocket"  That's such a narrow and limiting parameter as to be nearly useless in the context of a discussion about portable wireless charging.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 9 of 9
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    gutengel said:
    Yes - wireless charging is inefficient. It depends on the alignment of the coils and how close they are, but efficiency rates of 60-80% are typical, meaning you're wasting 20-40% of the energy coming out of the wall. it's another reason I'm not real keen on wireless charging.
    edited August 2019