This 'iPhone 11' case manufacturer is expecting a shorter Apple Pencil

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    Year 2007. Steve Jobs: "We will use a stylus.... Neah... We have a better tool. 10 of them, which we wer born with. Who needs a stylus..."
    Carnage
  • Reply 22 of 29
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    urahara said:
    Year 2007. Steve Jobs: "We will use a stylus.... Neah... We have a better tool. 10 of them, which we wer born with. Who needs a stylus..."
    Those 10 tools are still available.  Stylus optional.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

The way the Apple Pencil holster is designed for the case images would necessitate the introduction of a new Apple Pencil, if it is to be believed. The first generation of the accessory measures 6.92 inches long, while the second is 6.53 inches in length, both of which are longer than the iPhone XS Max at 6.2 inches.

For the Apple Pencil to be used in such a way, Apple would have to create a new shorter version of the stylus. Quick comparisons suggest that an Apple Pencil would have to be whittled down about two inches to fit in the pocket provided as depicted. 
    Or, it's entirely possible the rest of the Pencil would just stick out past the top of the iPhone however far it sticks out. The section above the opening is flat, as you can clearly see in the images, so it's not like it restricts the height of the Pencil by any means. As silly as that'd look in practice, it certainly doesn't "necessitate the introduction of a new Apple Pencil".
    It does if the butt of the Apple Pencil will be located where the case manufacturer says it is.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 29
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    eightzero said:
    mjtomlin said:
    eightzero said:
    Gotta say, I'm stumped by Apple Pencil. Tried it out at a retail location, and darned if I could figure out how it works. I suppose if you are an artist, it is likely the greatest thing since sliced raisin toast. But I clicked, I tapped, I tried to draw...all baffling and resulted in strange things on the screen. I guess if you don't know how to use a tool it can't help you. It sure seemed like the least intuitive think from Apple I've tried. YMMV.

Not even sure what to say to this!?!?
    Yeah, me neither. I guess if I invested some time in watching a tutorial or read some instructions on how to use this device, it would all be clear. I would do that if I had a compelling reason. I don't. YMMV. But I think any technology that requires an instruction manual is failed technology. 

OTOH, I might now be like the grandmas we laugh at that lift their glasses at the screen and yell "WHICH ONE IS THE 'ANY' KEY?"

Silly has just gone absurd...

Serious? A manual!? Have you ever used a pen or pencil? Probably. Why? TO WRITE WITH IT.

Open an app that you want to use to write something down. OR an app where you need a precise pointing device.

I used to work in a computer lab where people would staple notes to their floppy disks and wonder why they didn’t work... was that you?
    edited August 2019 fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 29
    alphafoxalphafox Posts: 132member
    entropys said:
    The Apple Pencil is not integrated enough to justify for most people.
    YET
  • Reply 26 of 29
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    Is battery life so much of an issue with the Apple Pencil now that it charges whenever you snap it to the side of an iDevice? I imagine I wouldn’t use it for extended periods on an iPhone anyway.
    Why would inductive charging imply there's an "issue" with the Pencil's battery? It works great.
    Huh?  Not sure what you've taken there, I wasn't implying any issue with the battery; quite the opposite, battery life is going to be less of an issue if the Pencil is being charged passively while in storage.
    I guess I don't know what you mean, since you said "Is battery life so much of an issue with the Apple Pencil...". The iPad Pro does already charge the Pencil every time you attach it.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    urahara said:
    He very clearly meant as a primary input device. The Pencil is not a primary input device.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 29

The way the Apple Pencil holster is designed for the case images would necessitate the introduction of a new Apple Pencil, if it is to be believed. The first generation of the accessory measures 6.92 inches long, while the second is 6.53 inches in length, both of which are longer than the iPhone XS Max at 6.2 inches.

For the Apple Pencil to be used in such a way, Apple would have to create a new shorter version of the stylus. Quick comparisons suggest that an Apple Pencil would have to be whittled down about two inches to fit in the pocket provided as depicted. 
    Or, it's entirely possible the rest of the Pencil would just stick out past the top of the iPhone however far it sticks out. The section above the opening is flat, as you can clearly see in the images, so it's not like it restricts the height of the Pencil by any means. As silly as that'd look in practice, it certainly doesn't "necessitate the introduction of a new Apple Pencil".
    It does if the butt of the Apple Pencil will be located where the case manufacturer says it is.
    Not sure what you mean. 
  • Reply 29 of 29
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    Is battery life so much of an issue with the Apple Pencil now that it charges whenever you snap it to the side of an iDevice? I imagine I wouldn’t use it for extended periods on an iPhone anyway.
    Why would inductive charging imply there's an "issue" with the Pencil's battery? It works great.
    Huh?  Not sure what you've taken there, I wasn't implying any issue with the battery; quite the opposite, battery life is going to be less of an issue if the Pencil is being charged passively while in storage.
    I guess I don't know what you mean, since you said "Is battery life so much of an issue with the Apple Pencil...". The iPad Pro does already charge the Pencil every time you attach it.
    Exactly, you're repeating exactly what I said.  Charging the Apple Pencil 1 was a bit more of an issue, since you needed to do that awkward insertion of the reverse end into the Lightning port, but now that there's passive charging whenever you put the Pencil in storage by clipping it to the side of the iPad, it seems pretty unlikely you'll ever run out of charge; unless you use it for a very long period, or for some reason don't clip it to the side of the iPad. 

Therefore "Is battery life so much of an issue with the Apple Pencil now that it charges whenever you snap it to the side of an iDevice?".  I think the answer is probably no, therefore a reduction in the size of the battery probably isn't a big deal, especially since I imagine using the Pencil with an iPhone is likely to be for even shorter periods since not many people will be drawing for long periods on a phone size screen.