Google's final release of Android 10 is coming soon, with new branding

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 22
Google has shifted its branding for Android, and is ditching dessert and confectionary names going forward.

New color scheme and branding for Google's Android
New color scheme and branding for Google's Android


In a news post about the change and rebranding, Google has elaborated on the reasoning behind the change.

"Our engineering team has always used internal code names for each version, based off of tasty treats, or desserts, in alphabetical order," said Google. "This naming tradition has become a fun part of the release each year externally, too. But we've heard feedback over the years that the names weren't always understood by everyone in the global community."

Google also noted that new Android users unfamiliar with the naming convention had no idea if their devices were running the newest version.

"As a global operating system, it's important that these names are clear and relatable for everyone in the world. So, this next release of Android will simply use the version number and be called Android 10," said Google. "We think this change helps make release names simpler and more intuitive for our global community. And while there were many tempting "Q" desserts out there, we think that at version 10 and 2.5 billion active devices, it was time to make this change."

Android 10 is coming "in the next few weeks" according to Google. Beyond test devices previously announced, it isn't yet clear which devices will be able to update.

Google debuted "Android Q" on May 7. Improvements cited by the company at the time included permission pop-ups from apps, allowing people to choose between always-on, in-app, and fully blocked tracking. Apple has offered this since 2014's iOS 8.

Other security enhancements include disk encryption on low-end phones, and individually-updatable OS components. That means that if a critical security issue is discovered in one part of Android, Google and other device makers don't have to push out full-scale releases.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 31
    Took them long enough to stop the dessert names. Which has me wondering the history behind the MacOS branding with the California landscape themes?
  • Reply 2 of 31
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 274member
    Ha ha Google learning from their own mistakes. Don’t confuse your consumers Google, things are complicated as it is in Android world!
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 31
    netroxnetrox Posts: 826member
    I am actually glad they chose that branding. Apple needs to do the same with MacOS too. Preferably YYYY and MM for major updates so it will be easy to know which OS is the most current. I am just so done with Panther, Leopard, blah blah blah... that has to stop. 

    MacOS 2001, MacOS 2002, MacOS 2003, and so on has a nice ring and more logical. If Apple does with iOS 1.... 14, then there's no reason MacOS cannot have the same versioning. 


    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 31
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 1,741member
    Well, obviously a snickers bar comes before milky way but after butterfingers. You'd have to be a moron not to figure that out.
    cornchipAppleExposedFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 31
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 341member
    The brand is so simplified that it looks cheap, perfect depiction
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 31
    It's named after the percentage of people who'll get the upgrade.
    cornchipperkedelAppleExposedlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 31
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,038member
    I'm waiting for Apple to release OS "Hollywood Walk of Fame", perfect branding for their new TV efforts. 
    cincytee
  • Reply 8 of 31
    The colors remind me of the walls of my elementary school, back in the daze when they chose the bland colors of sedation in attempt to numb us.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 31
    FatmanFatman Posts: 322member
    So, you buy the brand new Samsung Galaxy Note 10 and you get last year’s version 9 pie OS- LOL. And you pray that Samsung will update the OS ... good luck with that. A major reason for sticking with iPhones.
    cornchipperkedelAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 31
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,537member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    Took them long enough to stop the dessert names. Which has me wondering the history behind the MacOS branding with the California landscape themes?
    Apple was running out of big cat names.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Google & Apple can keep their internal “code name” all I care about is when it was last updated...might even include the month and get rid of the number.  

    MacOS 10 was released in 2001 and doesn’t tell me squat...  Do I really care how many revisions it has?  You can’t tell me that no major revisions occurred between 2001 & 2019... Shouldn’t it be at least MacOS 11 by now?

    MacOS 2019-9 for next months release?

    edited August 22
  • Reply 12 of 31
    hydrogenhydrogen Posts: 231member
    I can clearly distinguish USA, Greenland, but not Denmark . Strange ?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Fatman said:
    So, you buy the brand new Samsung Galaxy Note 10 and you get last year’s version 9 pie OS- LOL. And you pray that Samsung will update the OS ... good luck with that. A major reason for sticking with iPhones.
    Samsung provide two major version updates and 3 years worth of security updates for flagships, that has been the case for years so I’m not sure where you are getting this idea that the note might not get updated, that’s simply not true at all. 

    In fact, Samsung have now extended the same support to the a series phones, so my a50 also gets 2 version updates and 3 years worth of security updates. With pixel 3a also doing the same there is very good options for Android software support around. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Tim, 
    it took Google a long time to get onto the 10 (X) bandwagon. Samsung has been pushing 10 products for a while now too.
    I do believe it’s time to turn everything up to 11! (Thanks Spinaltap)
    In truth I like the idea that we force the rest of the world to a yyyy.mm.dd version tracking system. It will be a rude awakening for the android rank and file to see what’s being foisted on them.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 31
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 21,308member
    berndog said:
    Tim, 
    it took Google a long time to get onto the 10 (X) bandwagon. Samsung has been pushing 10 products for a while now too.
    I do believe it’s time to turn everything up to 11! (Thanks Spinaltap)
    In truth I like the idea that we force the rest of the world to a yyyy.mm.dd version tracking system. It will be a rude awakening for the android rank and file to see what’s being foisted on them.
    That would actually please Google IMO. Shame the OEM's into updates works too.

    The bigger takeaway for casual readers is that the actual Android OS version is becoming less important. Various OS components, operating features and security patches are being rendered updateable by Google outside of a full version upgrade that might require significant OEM involvement due to proprietary skinning of the OS by the individual companies.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 31
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,028member
    netrox said:
    I am actually glad they chose that branding. Apple needs to do the same with MacOS too. Preferably YYYY and MM for major updates so it will be easy to know which OS is the most current. I am just so done with Panther, Leopard, blah blah blah... that has to stop. 

    MacOS 2001, MacOS 2002, MacOS 2003, and so on has a nice ring and more logical. If Apple does with iOS 1.... 14, then there's no reason MacOS cannot have the same versioning. 

    macOS does have the same; 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 ... 10.15. It just also happens to have a name associated with it.
    lolliverStrangeDaysRayz2016cincyteewatto_cobraspheric
  • Reply 17 of 31
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,034member
    hydrogen said:
    I can clearly distinguish USA, Greenland, but not Denmark . Strange ?
    And apparently New Zealand consists of only one island 🤔
    hydrogen
  • Reply 18 of 31
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,230member
    "Do more evil" maybe
    AppleExposedlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 31
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 485member
    I was thinking Google could name Android after SF neighborhoods. They could start with the Castro.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 20 of 31
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,705unconfirmed, member
    Just because Apple is obsessed with the number 10 doesn't mean android has to jump on the bandwagon. Pathetic.

    wlee2019 said:
    Fatman said:
    So, you buy the brand new Samsung Galaxy Note 10 and you get last year’s version 9 pie OS- LOL. And you pray that Samsung will update the OS ... good luck with that. A major reason for sticking with iPhones.
    Samsung provide two major version updates and 3 years worth of security updates for flagships, that has been the case for years so I’m not sure where you are getting this idea that the note might not get updated, that’s simply not true at all. 

    In fact, Samsung have now extended the same support to the a series phones, so my a50 also gets 2 version updates and 3 years worth of security updates. With pixel 3a also doing the same there is very good options for Android software support around. 

    WRONG.

    Sammy intentionally skips security updates because they aren't responsible for their users nor do they give a sh** about them.

    MplsP said:
    Well, obviously a snickers bar comes before milky way but after butterfingers. You'd have to be a moron not to figure that out.

    People who are dumb enough to support knockoff iPhones that data mine them aren't smart. Even statistics have proven this.

Sign In or Register to comment.