Apple says clean Apple Card with a microfiber cloth, avoid contact with leather and denim

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    Jesus I’ve never seen so many people worried about credit card wear before. All of my cards are worn, and guess what? Do not give a shit. This is absurd. This is not a fail. This is not a problem for anyone except those without problems. 
    The card will work just fine, it just won't be as pretty and Apple made a point to emphasize the appearance of the card only to say that it won't hold up to routine use. Had they just issued a standard plastic card like anyone else, no one would have blinked an eye. 
    muthuk_vanalingamSpamSandwich
  • Reply 62 of 74
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    MplsP said:
    sirozha said:
    Apple Card is the epitome of fanboyism. There’s nothing special about this card other than the Apple logo, for which too many people get an erection. 

You're both right and wrong - there are a lot of people who are excited just because it's an Apple product, but it's also not a bad card. It depends on why and how you use your credit cards, but I'd say it's in the top third to quarter of cards. Interest rates are reasonable, but shouldn't matter. The no fees policy is unheard of. The cash back bonus is certainly better than most. 

The security benefits can be achieved with most other standard credit cards; the one unique feature is how it automatically uses virtual account numbers, making it easy to cancel and re-issue them. Others have done this in the past but none with the same level of ease and simplicity. 

I've never seen so much hype about a credit card. This worries me; it's one thing to get excited about something like the Apple Watch, the iPad, or the iPhone (when they were first released), but getting so much excitement and hype about a titanium credit card means that the majority of Apple fans are sheep, which is what has been claimed by a lot of people for a long time. The Apple Card release is one of the most boring (if not the most boring) products that Apple has ever released. 

Why am I worried? Because as a shareholder I can't rely on this site or other sites to signal to me when the Apple's innovation machine has stalled. If they keep publishing these fanboy articles about products like the Apple Card, they have lost their mission in pursuit of ad revenue. 
    edited August 2019 chemengin1
  • Reply 63 of 74
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    eightzero said:
    Genuine question: since I visit a drive through food establishment about once a decade, I'm curious if any of them deploy an Apple Pay reader. Anyone do that?
    McDonald's has a hand held POS terminal for NFC payments that's held up to the window. The cashier usually  has to be reminded to hold it out of the window a little as most people don't have Mr. Fantastic arms. 

El Pollo Loco takes NFC payment at the counters but doesn't offer it at the drive-thru. I don't know any other drive-thrus that take Apple Pay/NFC payments.

Wendy's has a hand held scanner at drive-thru, but it uses a QR code. I don't know what or who uses that method.

There are a lot of funny comments here, but as is usual, humor quickly circles the drain, and what's left is contrived, testy diatribe the author mistakes for humor. But well done to the rest.

I still don't understand what's happening with the detractors who absolutely ignore the unique features Apple brings to the industry, all so they can say 'there's nothing special' about the Apple Card. Oh wait– they're haters.

It's not the card for everybody. Nobody who likes the card says it is. But it has some positive aspects that other cards don't have that will work well for some people and not at all for others.

I appreciate when others present viewpoints as to why what they use is better for them than the Apple Card. I don't appreciate others who lie by omission attempting to make a case for their card of preference, especially when they reveal they need more than one card to give them superiority over the single Apple Card.

Now if Samsung brought out a Li-powered card with LEDs and it caught fire on occasion, that wouldn't get near the press that some fabrics staining the Ti Card's finish is getting.
  • Reply 64 of 74
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    spice-boy said:
    "Apple Card, Don't leave home with it" ™
    That was a damn clever line!
    davgreg
  • Reply 65 of 74
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    entropys said:
    leather? Denim? This extreme form over function can’t really be justified.

i remember when white iphones could not be released for six months until the colour fastness and tint was perfect. Not modern Apple.
    Yep.   I'm hoping that with Ive's departure, this obsession with form over function will disappear.  We all enjoy having products that are more beautiful than the average, but not at the cost of functionality.   Does anyone at Apple truly believe that it makes sense that we have to get special instructions on how to clean a credit card?   I've NEVER cleaned a credit card.    I bet the media is going to tear Apple apart on this one.   This is going to be another "you're not holding it right" fiasco.  

I've signed up but haven't received the physical card yet.   If it gets dirty, it gets dirty.  If that causes it to stop working, I simply won't use it.   I really only bought it to get the 2% discount and you only get that with ApplePay.   If somewhere doesn't take ApplePay, I'd use a different card anyway.  

But I guess the vegans who are opposed to all uses of animal hides will love it.

It's like the iPhone.  Yes, it's quite thin and beautiful.   But if you drop it, it's generally gone, so most(?) people use a case.   Now it's thicker and not as beautiful.   In fact, there have been a number of times when I've seen someone with phone not in a case and think, "Wow, that's a nice looking phone" and then realize they have the same phone that I do.    So why not just make a phone that won't be destroyed if it's dropped and is a little thicker so it can contain a bigger battery that's far more practical?    Because Apple has cared far more about form than function.    It's like those car ads that show the car from above, where it looks good and how no one ever sees the car unless they're in a helicopter looking straight down at a road. 

Same for the MBP.
  • Reply 66 of 74
    sirozha said:
    MplsP said:
    sirozha said:
    Apple Card is the epitome of fanboyism. There’s nothing special about this card other than the Apple logo, for which too many people get an erection. 

You're both right and wrong - there are a lot of people who are excited just because it's an Apple product, but it's also not a bad card. It depends on why and how you use your credit cards, but I'd say it's in the top third to quarter of cards. Interest rates are reasonable, but shouldn't matter. The no fees policy is unheard of. The cash back bonus is certainly better than most. 

The security benefits can be achieved with most other standard credit cards; the one unique feature is how it automatically uses virtual account numbers, making it easy to cancel and re-issue them. Others have done this in the past but none with the same level of ease and simplicity. 

I've never seen so much hype about a credit card. This worries me; it's one thing to get excited about something like the Apple Watch, the iPad, or the iPhone (when they were first released), but getting so much excitement and hype about a titanium credit card means that the majority of Apple fans are sheep, which is what has been claimed by a lot of people for a long time. The Apple Card release is one of the most boring (if not the most boring) products that Apple has ever released. 

Why am I worried? Because as a shareholder I can't rely on this site or other sites to signal to me when the Apple's innovation machine has stalled. If they keep publishing these fanboy articles about products like the Apple Card, they have lost their mission in pursuit of ad revenue. 
    Apple’s share price — especially its low PE ratio compared to peers such as Microsoft and Google — does not signal a lot of market optimism about value likely to be created from its future growth opportunities. That is just a sad fact. 

If if you need AI to tell you that, you’re in the wrong Forum. 
    MplsPchemengin1
  • Reply 67 of 74
    Here is Apple's dirty little secret:

The card does not work with Quicken.

There is no way to download transactions.
    davgregchemengin1
  • Reply 68 of 74
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    MplsP said:
    Jesus I’ve never seen so many people worried about credit card wear before. All of my cards are worn, and guess what? Do not give a shit. This is absurd. This is not a fail. This is not a problem for anyone except those without problems. 
    The card will work just fine, it just won't be as pretty and Apple made a point to emphasize the appearance of the card only to say that it won't hold up to routine use. Had they just issued a standard plastic card like anyone else, no one would have blinked an eye. 
    I’m going to hazard a wild guess and just say future versions of the card will be made of a nice sturdy plastic.
  • Reply 69 of 74
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    sirozha said:
    MplsP said:
    sirozha said:

Apple’s share price — especially its low PE ratio compared to peers such as Microsoft and Google — does not signal a lot of market optimism about value likely to be created from its future growth opportunities. That is just a sad fact. 

If if you need AI to tell you that, you’re in the wrong Forum. 
    I've had a negative opinion about the direction of Apple since Tim Cook took over. This negative opinion has only gotten more negative in the last few years. At the same time, I've also developed a general depression about what's going on in the US with a lot of things. As my personal outlook has become gloomy on a lot of issues, I need to rely on other people's opinions to make sure that my negative impressions are not due to my depression but are valid reactions to the lack of innovation at Apple.

However, the older I get the more I believe in the principle of trusting your own instincts rather than trying to listen to other people's opinions, especially, because most of these opinions are corrupted by personal funancial gain nowadays. 

As for P/E ratios, Apple's P/E is 18 now (as it has been for years). Intel's P/E is 10 and Cisco's P/E is also in the 18 range. So, Apple is not necessarily alone in being undervalued by Wall Street. 
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 70 of 74
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

FWIW the Amazon Prime Visa card (Chase) is also some sort of metal finish.  It's far heavier than my other cards, and doesn't have a number on the front. 
    ...And yeah it looks a bit dingy now after residing in my wallet unused for so many months. Should'a left it at home instead of my wallet anyway. 
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 71 of 74
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Here is Apple's dirty little secret:

The card does not work with Quicken.

There is no way to download transactions.
    Yet. Like many things associated with this card, this may change.

Not sure it is a secret.
  • Reply 72 of 74
    I bet the card has higher IQ than the marketing guy dreaming up this advice.
  • Reply 73 of 74
    evn616evn616 Posts: 28member
    Bendgate, incoming 3..2..1
  • Reply 74 of 74
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    sirozha said:
    MplsP said:
    sirozha said:

You’re on an apple forum - there are people here who would pay to own Tim Cook’s used Kleenex. 

At the same time, Anantksundaram is right. If using an apple forum to judge stock prices is showing as much thought as making your happiness dependent on getting an Apple Card.

chemengin1