Google's final release of Android 10 is coming soon, with new branding

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Google & Apple can keep their internal “code name” all I care about is when it was last updated...might even include the month and get rid of the number.  

MacOS 10 was released in 2001 and doesn’t tell me squat...  Do I really care how many revisions it has?  You can’t tell me that no major revisions occurred between 2001 & 2019... Shouldn’t it be at least MacOS 11 by now?

MacOS 2019-9 for next months release?

Are you being willfully obtuse? Clearly the numbers that follow the 10 are the major revisions, it’s not that difficult. 
    lolliverStrangeDayswatto_cobraspheric
  • Reply 22 of 31
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    berndog said:
    Tim, 
    it took Google a long time to get onto the 10 (X) bandwagon. Samsung has been pushing 10 products for a while now too.
    I do believe it’s time to turn everything up to 11! (Thanks Spinaltap)
    In truth I like the idea that we force the rest of the world to a yyyy.mm.dd version tracking system. It will be a rude awakening for the android rank and file to see what’s being foisted on them.
    In line with Windows 95, 98 and 2000, you mean?
    avon b7
  • Reply 23 of 31
    Apple does number their releases. For example; the current release is 10.14 and the one coming up is 10.15. Maybe a lot of people don’t realize this.
    netrox said:
    I am actually glad they chose that branding. Apple needs to do the same with MacOS too. Preferably YYYY and MM for major updates so it will be easy to know which OS is the most current. I am just so done with Panther, Leopard, blah blah blah... that has to stop. 

MacOS 2001, MacOS 2002, MacOS 2003, and so on has a nice ring and more logical. If Apple does with iOS 1.... 14, then there's no reason MacOS cannot have the same versioning. 

Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 31
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    Google ...is ditching dessert and confectionary names going forward.
    ... while there were many tempting "Q" desserts out there, 
    Qattara Depression? Oh wait, that's a desert.
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobraspheric
  • Reply 25 of 31
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member

hentaiboy said:
    And apparently New Zealand consists of only one island 🤔
    Don't they say "Zed" in the British empire? New Zedland?
  • Reply 26 of 31
    gatorguy said:
    berndog said:
    Tim, 
    it took Google a long time to get onto the 10 (X) bandwagon. Samsung has been pushing 10 products for a while now too.
    I do believe it’s time to turn everything up to 11! (Thanks Spinaltap)
    In truth I like the idea that we force the rest of the world to a yyyy.mm.dd version tracking system. It will be a rude awakening for the android rank and file to see what’s being foisted on them.
    That would actually please Google IMO. Shame the OEM's into updates works too.

The bigger takeaway for casual readers is that the actual Android OS version is becoming less important. Various OS components, operating features and security patches are being rendered updateable by Google outside of a full version upgrade that might require significant OEM involvement due to proprietary skinning of the OS by the individual companies.
    While I see this as a generally positive step, the number of possible module combinations on a device is now going to be a LOT higher. I fear that this approach will make debugging and testing more difficult.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    Took them long enough to stop the dessert names. Which has me wondering the history behind the MacOS branding with the California landscape themes?
    They announced at WWDC keynote when they introduced Mavericks. Simply put, they ran out of cat name.

netrox said:
    I am actually glad they chose that branding. Apple needs to do the same with MacOS too. Preferably YYYY and MM for major updates so it will be easy to know which OS is the most current. I am just so done with Panther, Leopard, blah blah blah... that has to stop. 

MacOS 2001, MacOS 2002, MacOS 2003, and so on has a nice ring and more logical. If Apple does with iOS 1.... 14, then there's no reason MacOS cannot have the same versioning. 
    From the Mac to the Apple TV to the iPhone to the iPad and Watch all these OS X-based operating systems are more homogenized and symbiotic with each new release. The average person will have neither the knowledge nor inclination to know different version number for varying OSes all came out at the same year. For this reason I want the code name to be applied to all OSes for that year, which I argue would help their sales because people with a device that is too old to get the update wouldn't be on the same page as the others.

PS: It's a good thing you're done and want with Panther, Leopard, blah blah blah" naming convention to stop because those were introduced in 2003 and 2007, respectively. They haven't even used big cat name for 6 years.
    fastasleepwatto_cobraspheric
  • Reply 28 of 31

hentaiboy said:
    And apparently New Zealand consists of only one island ߤ䦬t;br>
    There have been many changes to the spelling of the name over time. I have heard that it was originally "New Sea Land" as named by the Maoris' ancestors (Polynesians?) who settled there. The islands are of volcanic origin and there is evidence of a truly massive eruption more than a thousand years ago which supposedly wiped out most of the animal life (including any humans that may have already been there) and prompted the Polynesian explorers to investigate.
    edited August 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 31
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    At least they didn’t pick “androidOS X”
    watto_cobraspheric
  • Reply 30 of 31
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

hentaiboy said:
    And apparently New Zealand consists of only one island ߤ䦬t;br>
    There have been many changes to the spelling of the name over time. I have heard that it was originally "New Sea Land" as named by the Maoris' ancestors (Polynesians?) who settled there. The islands are of volcanic origin and there is evidence of a truly massive eruption more than a thousand years ago which supposedly wiped out most of the animal life (including any humans that may have already been there) and prompted the Polynesian explorers to investigate.
    Yeah but nah.

The Dutch “discovered” New Zealand and named it Nova Zeelandia after the Dutch province of Zeeland (Sealand in English).
    British explorer James Cook subsequently anglicised the name to New Zealand.

The Polynesian name is Aotearoa (land of the long white cloud).
    spheric
  • Reply 31 of 31
    Just because Apple is obsessed with the number 10 doesn't mean android has to jump on the bandwagon. Pathetic.

wlee2019 said:
    Fatman said:
    So, you buy the brand new Samsung Galaxy Note 10 and you get last year’s version 9 pie OS- LOL. And you pray that Samsung will update the OS ... good luck with that. A major reason for sticking with iPhones.
    Samsung provide two major version updates and 3 years worth of security updates for flagships, that has been the case for years so I’m not sure where you are getting this idea that the note might not get updated, that’s simply not true at all. 

In fact, Samsung have now extended the same support to the a series phones, so my a50 also gets 2 version updates and 3 years worth of security updates. With pixel 3a also doing the same there is very good options for Android software support around. 

WRONG.

Sammy intentionally skips security updates because they aren't responsible for their users nor do they give a sh** about them.

MplsP said:
    Well, obviously a snickers bar comes before milky way but after butterfingers. You'd have to be a moron not to figure that out.

People who are dumb enough to support knockoff iPhones that data mine them aren't smart. Even statistics have proven this.

Where did I say that every single monthly update came to the phones? I said all their phones get 3 years worth of security updates which is correct. 

Frankly I couldn’t care less if it’s not every month, I would be happy with quarterly which is largely about the same amount of time it takes Apple when an exploit to iOS becomes public...or they unpatch one as they did this week, no update in site for a fix for that either. Glass houses and all eh.