Titanium Apple Card shows signs of wear after just one month

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2019
With its sleek white finish, deep etchings and flush surfaces, Apple's titanium Apple Card is quite the looker. The card's durability is now question, however, as early customers report significant signs of wear after just one month.

Apple Card
What appears to be a dirty Apple Card is actually the product's white coating wearing away. | Source: Zed via Twitter

Apple first suggested that the white finish on physical Apple Card specimens -- achieved through a "multi-layer coating process" -- might be susceptible to scratches, nicks and discoloration in a Support Pages document published this week.

On Tuesday, the company posted an explainer covering proper methods of cleaning and maintaining the credit card, noting users should gently wipe its surface with a soft, slightly damp, lint-free microfiber cloth. Users with particularly dirty cards can take the additional step of wiping it (gently!) with a cloth dipped in isopropyl alcohol.

Needless to say, such steps are not typically provided by card issuers, including those who field titanium versions.

Additional notes of caution point out fabrics like leather and denim might permanently discolor the card's matte white finish. The coating could also be damaged if it comes in contact with hard surfaces or materials like keys.

After word of the support document spread, users who were part of Apple Card's preview program began to share their experiences online.

AppleInsider reader Zed shared photos of his card, which was reportedly kept in a leather wallet and used for about two months. In a tweet, the early adopter and former Apple employee said the card's white finish began to "come off" of its titanium base, leaving a once pristine surface disfigured with dark pockmarks.

One person, who has been using Apple Card on a daily basis since early June, said their copy showed signs of erosion after about a month. The white portion of the card started to wear away at the edges and above the magnetic stripe after being stored in a leather wallet alongside other cards, a practice Apple says is a no-no.

For now, the superficial issue appears to be just that, as users with cosmetically damaged cards report no difficulties with conducting transactions at point of sale terminals. Whether the apparent weathering will one day cause functional problems, especially in sensitive areas like the mag stripe, remains to be seen.

Still, the photos and testimony serve as a cautionary tale for those who want to keep their shiny new Apple product in immaculate condition.

Apple opened applications for Apple Card to U.S. customers on Tuesday. Wide availability arrived after month of internal testing and a weeks-long public "preview" period in which the company granted random users access to the service.

Apple's credit card solution features deep integration with Apple Pay, with a focus on touchless NFC-based transactions and heavy reliance on the Wallet app. With an ecosystem that lives wholly on iPhone, customers are urged to engage in digital purchases and at brick-and-mortar stores that support Apple Pay. As such, the titanium Apple Card can be considered more of a concession than a tentpole feature, one deemed necessary as Apple builds out its network of participating retailers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    People keep thinking that titanium is some sort of miracle material. It’s not. It’s just a metal that’s fairly hard and durable. It will wear just about as much as anything else.
    edited August 2019 lolliverflyingdpn2itivguychasmdoozydozensandorredgeminipaSoundJudgmenthmurchisonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 2 of 82
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    I know one wants ones’s Apple credit card to look beautiful, and it does seem silly that the card would quickly start looking dingy .... but it isn’t the point of the thing to not use the physical card when you can avoid it? And heck, it’s just a dang credit card. Why do people care?
    lolliverflyingdpn2itivguysandorrazorpitStrangeDaysloopychewjony0
  • Reply 3 of 82
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Easy solution.. just put a thin clear protective film on it..

lolliverchasmdoozydozen1983applesnorangeswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 82
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    I am just going to put the Apple Card in a frame and hang it on the wall. 
    lollivercoolfactormwhiteroyboybaconstangsootandoozydozen1983GeorgeBMachmurchison
  • Reply 5 of 82
    It’s a credit card! They get worn. I only plan to ever use it with Apple Pay anyways. 
    lolliversootanStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 82
    gerardgerard Posts: 83member
    I don’t see the big deal either. Has anyone ever used a credit card that doesn’t show signs of wear and tear? All my bank and credit cards have wear from just being stored in my wallet. Pretty much the only place I use my card is at the gas station. Since Chase bank cash machines use nfc I can deposit and withdraw money with just my iPhone. 
    sootansandorcornchipStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 82
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I saw the other thread where the haters were making fun of this and yet I've never seen any other mention of a credit card being chided for this and it's happened to every single card I've ever placed in my wallet.
    chasmSoundJudgmentStrangeDayswatto_cobrabrucemcjony0
  • Reply 8 of 82
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    AFAIK the only purpose of the card is for showing it off. I suspect I would hardly ever use it in real life as you would use Apple Pay in preference for the bigger discount.
    So yes, unlike other credit cards, I would care that it stays schmick.
    watto_cobraavon b7
  • Reply 9 of 82
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Headline says one month. Opening paragraph says two months. I know I should only comment on the article subject, but such glaring oversights on part of the editor are astonishing! And here we are trying to talk about the quality of the Apple Card? The editorial should put quality first and foremost.

On topic, I think Apple is taking aesthetics too far! If they are going to base their products strictly on appearance, make sure that appearance is as reliable as their electronic devices.
    edited August 2019 viclauyycdysamoria
  • Reply 10 of 82
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member

melgross said:
    People keep thinking that titanium is some sort of miracle material. It’s not. It’s just a metal that’s fairly hard and durable. It will wear just about as much as anything else.

That's the point. The titanium is not being worn. The coatings are being worn, and too quickly.
    GeorgeBMacgutengelspock1234chemengin1minicoffeesuperklotonavon b7
  • Reply 11 of 82
    This is what humanity has been reduced to? Complaining about a credit card showing signs of early wear and tear? For chrissakes.
    designrsootanaknabirazorpitspice-boyStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 82
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member

People carry credit cards in their wallets.              So how am I suppose to carry this card if leather or other cards will discolor it???

Card should come with a case if its that delicate.

edited August 2019 GeorgeBMacviclauyyc
  • Reply 13 of 82
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    I wonder if someone will start making cases for Apple Cards. 
    royboybaconstangpscooter63GeorgeBMacrazorpitcornchipviclauyyc
  • Reply 14 of 82
    I strongly suspect if Apple just put out a normal credit card no one would care. However, Apple made this a big design deal and showed it off as such. People expect better quality control Apple as such. 
    chrisp1234wattoukbeowulfschmidtGeorgeBMacMplsPviclauyycchemengin1command_fdysamoriaavon b7
  • Reply 15 of 82
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    I’ve had the card for 11 days tucked into the back of my leather Decoded XR case.

Every time I put my phone down the card makes contact with various surfaces.

Nether-the-less the white paint finish still looks perfect. The magnet strip has a few marks, like on any other card.

The white finish is extremely durable. According to Apple’s video, the finish is sprayed on before the Apple logo is laser de-bossed. Amazingly, the white finish is not discolored by a laser hot enough to vaporize titanium. I find this hard to believe.

If the card starts looking really scruffy over time it’s no big deal because Apple put a ‘send me a fresh new card’ button in the Wallet app.

I was waiting to see what card-gate the media could come up with, I expected to see not just scratch tests but also drop and bend tests.

But whatever happens it’s no big deal, just tap a button in the app and they send you a new card. 
    edited August 2019 pscooter63sootancornchipwatto_cobrabrucemcManierre Dawson
  • Reply 16 of 82
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    melgross said:
    People keep thinking that titanium is some sort of miracle material.
    Who is saying or thinking that. I haven't seen one post anywhere that lauds any of the features of Ti as anything approaching a miracle. And as pointed out it's not the Ti that's wearing.

I strongly suspect if Apple just put out a normal credit card no one would care. However, Apple made this a big design deal and showed it off as such. People expect better quality control Apple as such. 
    This ^ .  lt doesn't bother me that Apple wanted this card to look eeeexxxtra special. But since they went to the trouble form is an integral part of their DNA, they should have done a better job, maybe using an epoxy based coating or something.

Easy solution.. just put a thin clear protective film on it..

Hm. Maybe a repurposed, unused screen protector? Assuming the adhesive didn't discolor the card, too. But I wonder if the additional few mils of thickness would interfere with either the chip or sliding in the chip or slide slot.

Anyway it is just a card, and my major use would be online where Apple Pay isn't an option.

chrisp1234GeorgeBMacspock1234chemengin1
  • Reply 17 of 82
    FFS, it’s a credit card people.
    sandorcornchip
  • Reply 18 of 82
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    I keep all of my cards in little paper sleeves the bank gives me. Doesn't eliminate wear, but certainly helps avoid obvious wear. That said, Apple probably should re-think the coating on this -- people are going to keep it in their wallet, and their wallet is likely to be leather, so that's a problem.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 82

melgross said:

That's the point. The titanium is not being worn. The coatings are being worn, and too quickly.
    Totally agree. I have a metal card from Revolut and that is almost perfect and I've had it for months. 
    watto_cobrasuperkloton
  • Reply 20 of 82
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Are we really having a discussion about taking care of a CREDIT CARD?!

seriously people... that’s just sad.
    MplsPmacpluspluslordjohnwhorfincornchipStrangeDayswatto_cobraIreneW