JPMorgan to shut down Chase Pay app in early 2020

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Can't stand opportunists companies shi**ing out a product thinking they can piggyback Apple. Hope SammyPay is next with their half-baked turd.
    There's nothing wrong with Samesung Pay. They are the only ones that allow you to use your phone on pretty much every terminal even if they don't support NFC. It's called MST. (Magnetic Secure Transmission) They acquired the company that invented this. So their phones are the only ones that can do this. It's pretty cool how it works. The whole Card industry in the U.S. has been dragging it's feet. Because we were suppose to move away from swiping cards as that's not never secure, and move to the chip only. Then card swiping would be disabled. Which would make MST no longer work. At that point NFC should be working anyway.

So if you're on Android and have a Samesung Phone, I'd use that over Google Pay, other wise use Google Pay, which both are a copy of Apple Pay in how it works, other than Samesung adding MST to theirs. Hone of these work anything like the old Google Wallet worked. Well other than that first NFC link to the terminal, which they didn't even invent anyway. It was originally for Keyfobs which never caught on.
    edited August 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 32
    Ah, what a loss.

(Just kidding).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 32
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    mindwaves said:
    I am a Chase user and a big JPM stock holder and I support the company in many ways, but this thing was dead in the water a long time ago. I think touting Chase Pay online is also not so smart. Chase should be encouraging users to use Apple Pay instead and touting their new Sapphire cards with 100,000 points instead to be used on Apple Pay with no annual fee, or something.

JPM says that they spend 11.5 billion dollars in IT spending every year. Probably a large part of that is to upgrade their servers but a growing part of that pie is to do things like Chase Pay and JPM coin. Hope the company is more successful with the later.

I really think that they should have kept Finn. N26 just got released in the US.
    Keeping it for online purchases could be largely to protect themselves from absorbing the cost of fraudulent purchases.  
    While even Chase told me to use ApplePay instead of the chip, not everybody has ApplePay -- or an iPhone.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    No worries!

JeffyPay is still up and running, where we're one of the 5,945 companies vying for your credit and debit card numbers.  However, we at JeffyPay take security seriously, and we use "Security by Obscurity" extensively.  The 93,230 copies of our server data in plain text format on backup servers around the world ensure that the data is available 24/7, even in the case of an failure.

JeffyPay: Where your money matters to us.
    lostkiwiSoliBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 32
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    No worries!

JeffyPay is still up and running, where we're one of the 5,945 companies vying for your credit and debit card numbers.  However, we at JeffyPay take security seriously, and we use "Security by Obscurity" extensively.  The 93,230 copies of our server data in plain text format on backup servers around the world ensure that the data is available 24/7, even in the case of an failure.

JeffyPay: Where your money matters to us.
    Great! Where do I sign up?
    Wow, I’m already signed up? How convenient!
    😜
    Bart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 32
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Now if Walmart would only give up on their lame pay system. Or at least accept  Pay...

not or that I frequent Walmart more than a couple times a year, but when I do, I just use cash.
    edited August 2019 Bart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Bart YBart Y Posts: 67unconfirmed, member
    cornchip said:
    Now if Walmart would only give up on their lame pay system. Or at least accept  Pay...

not or that I frequent Walmart more than a couple times a year, but when I do, I just use cash.
    Yep, I do frequent Walmart and I always ask them when they are going to turn on their NFC (they have compliant readers) so that I can use Apple Pay or Google Pay?  Of course, the rank and file sorta look dumbfounded but say they get asked that a few times per week.

I use Apple Pay at Costco and whenever I can so that merchants know its a convenience and a viable option.  I support the growing number of places that take it and always ask if they do.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 32
    cornchip said:

Yep, I do frequent Walmart and I always ask them when they are going to turn on their NFC (they have compliant readers) so that I can use Apple Pay or Google Pay?  Of course, the rank and file sorta look dumbfounded but say they get asked that a few times per week.

I use Apple Pay at Costco and whenever I can so that merchants know its a convenience and a viable option.  I support the growing number of places that take it and always ask if they do.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    cornchip said:
    Now if Walmart would only give up on their lame pay system. Or at least accept  Pay…
    They have the unique position of being able to do their own thing (for a while) but they will eventually support Apple Pay like all the others.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 32
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    Bart Y said: 
    I do the same, especially the latter when I already know they don't. Safeway store had been using it a week before I found out (by asking 'when'. They had no signage so I asked as usual. They've since updated the software and the display shows the Apple Pay and NFC icon.

I don't shop at Walmart so I'm no help there. It doesn't make any difference to me what merchant takes what payment platform as long as they include Apple Pay.

CVS started taking Apple Pay awhile back so I shop there again. For a short time I was doing a little Apple Pay Theater. Both CVS and Walgreens are within walking distance, CVS being about half the distance. I'd go in, grab a couple of items near the register, and at check out, ask if they took Apple Pay. When they said now, I'd put the items back and leave, heading off to Walgreens. After awhile it would be expected, so I cut way back. One day I pulled the old schtick at CVS and they said 'Yes.'. So I got out of line and did some real shopping. Now I split between the two stores as is convenient.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 32
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Apple needs to get the remaining holdouts on board, including the almighty WalMart
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Fatman said:
    Apple needs to get the remaining holdouts on board, including the almighty WalMart
    Walmart itself has been fighting Apple Pay and other NFC payment systems because of the incremental fees they would incur to Visa and MC on the front, and the loss of customer purchasing habit info they want to collect.  They bankrolled Current-C / MCX from the beginning, and now have their own Walmart Pay which they keep pushing.  Their size allows them to try to stay independent of other electronic systems.  

Even Lowes, another member of the original Current-C system, is a staunch denier of using Apple Pay even though they have compliant NFC systems, they don't turn the NFC on.