Apple seemingly stops sales of 'Designed by Apple in California' photo book

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

I want this book. Somewhere inside my future collection.
    I donated all my paper books (over 1000) to the local library about a decade ago.  Right after purchasing the original iPad (preordered)...

By the 3rd version, printing photos was a thing of the past (archaic)...

Now buying physical copies of movies seems silly...

I guess my question is... Why?

I stopped buying paper books after the first iPad came out too. Within 2 years had gone back to buying paper books (best reading experience). 

I also stopped printing pictures but started printing them again. Nice to be able to have them around your living space instead of crammed into a device. 

I still purchase physical films as well. I only buy classics that I’ll want to watch more than a few times and I have a couple of vacation spots (Portugal & Cape Breton) with almost non existent internet. 

It might seem “archaic” but frankly that’s condescending. 
    What happens to all your "books" when you die? Which of your friends and family get which parts of you, to enjoy and keep close and remember? Oh, that's right, none. Even if they had transferrable licenses, there is less appeal to a folder of e-books.

In our home, our bookshelves are a major focal point and expression of what we enjoy and value. We love sharing that with loved ones.
    You should probably read things before responding to them.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    macgui said:
    razorpit said:
    Look pal, the book industry did this to themselves. It isn't my fault I need to research how each book was made to figure out if it's worth purchasing a physical copy or not.
    It's not your fault and you don't need to figure anything out. The fact remains you don't know anything about what went into constructing this or any design book that you won't be able to get from your local library.

If you don't have an interest in books, you don't have an interest in books. Nobody cares. It's not an excuse to paint with a wide brush, but it is what it is.

Book makers have not forgotten how to make a good book. It just costs a lot more money than it used to.
    That's the problem, I do have an interest in physical books, sadly the manufacturers make them as cheaply as possible, and not in a good way. I read and reference my digital books almost daily.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    I want this book. Somewhere inside my future collection.
    I donated all my paper books (over 1000) to the local library about a decade ago.  Right after purchasing the original iPad (preordered)...

By the 3rd version, printing photos was a thing of the past (archaic)...

Now buying physical copies of movies seems silly...

I guess my question is... Why?

Agree, I there was a way to "rip" all my books to digital the way CD's are. 
  • Reply 24 of 26
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    razorpit said:
    macgui said:
    razorpit said:
    Look pal, the book industry did this to themselves. It isn't my fault I need to research how each book was made to figure out if it's worth purchasing a physical copy or not.
    It's not your fault and you don't need to figure anything out. The fact remains you don't know anything about what went into constructing this or any design book that you won't be able to get from your local library.

If you don't have an interest in books, you don't have an interest in books. Nobody cares. It's not an excuse to paint with a wide brush, but it is what it is.

Book makers have not forgotten how to make a good book. It just costs a lot more money than it used to.
    That's the problem, I do have an interest in physical books, sadly the manufacturers make them as cheaply as possible, and not in a good way. I read and reference my digital books almost daily.
    That's the problem. You lumped the Apple book together with the books you put in the 'they don't make them like they used to' bin.

Point is this Apple book is a design book, far superior in execution than your books of yore. It's a collection of 450 stunning pics of Apple design starting with the return of Jobs to Apple. Everything about the construction of the book separates it from ordinary books of decades past. Of course most design books do anyway.

Even if you're not familiar with design books, it's a mistake to lump this book's execution into that broad category you disdain. For those how appreciate design and books, this could never be accomplished in the digital realm.There is no digital equal to reading a beautiful, well made book. And depending on the content_ any book.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I agree that’s the problem, but again it’s not my problem. My past experiences are my past experiences. I don’t have the time to look at the manufacturing process of each book. The new MacBook keyboards are similar. They were in a class by themselves, until they started breaking and then they were in a different class, all to themselves. Who wouldn’t be skeptical purchasing a new MacBook with that keyboard?
  • Reply 26 of 26
    EDJEDJ Posts: 1member

Apple was originally considering offering this in a leather bound version. They ultimately decided against it, but there were 10 books made bound in leather, and the description page actually calls out the material as leather (as opposed to "linen" in the production version).