Titanium Apple Card shows signs of wear after just one month

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    Good news. The version that is in the Apple Wallet is protected from this. :)
  • Reply 42 of 82
    Ha!
    When can I buy an Otterbox for my Apple Card?
    razorpit
  • Reply 43 of 82
     They should have made it out of vibranium  or adamantium.  😂
  • Reply 44 of 82
    Jobs’ keys scratched his plastic-screen iPhone prototype. Maybe they should make Apple Card from Gorilla Glass.  
    razorpitspock1234
  • Reply 45 of 82
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    I opted for the wholly virtual embodiment. Immutable luster, I hope. Funny both Wapo and Guardian and no doubt countless others have stories on this. You know what they say about publicity...
    PickUrPoison
  • Reply 46 of 82
    MplsP said:
    williamh said:
    I know one wants ones’s Apple credit card to look beautiful, and it does seem silly that the card would quickly start looking dingy .... but it isn’t the point of the thing to not use the physical card when you can avoid it? And heck, it’s just a dang credit card. Why do people care?
    clearly, Apple did not design the card with use in mind! I honestly think this is a waste of titanium; A nice plastic card would be fine by me.

Soli said:
    I saw the other thread where the haters were making fun of this and yet I've never seen any other mention of a credit card being chided for this and it's happened to every single card I've ever placed in my wallet.
    See @80s_Apple_Guy's post - The reason people are 'hating' is because Apple asked for it. Apple went to extremes to make the card look and feel different; multiple posters have raved about how beautiful the card is and how it feels and it's also designed to be kept 'forever' - there's no actual expiration date on the card, if you need a new number, you get one on your phone and keep the same card. The look of the card was obviously important to Apple and yet it won't hold up to even a month of routine use.  It's only a credit card, but they clearly made decisions without regard to its intended use and the natural conclusion of this is to question Apple's design process and decision making.

I think you’re overthinking it. Apple wanted to make a card that people would talk about. If someone is hung up on how it looks, they can push a button in the app and receive a new card. That’s about it. 
    Soli
  • Reply 47 of 82
     They should have made it out of vibranium  or adamantium.  😂
    Unobtanium. 
  • Reply 48 of 82
    MplsP said:
    williamh said:
    I know one wants ones’s Apple credit card to look beautiful, and it does seem silly that the card would quickly start looking dingy .... but it isn’t the point of the thing to not use the physical card when you can avoid it? And heck, it’s just a dang credit card. Why do people care?
    clearly, Apple did not design the card with use in mind! I honestly think this is a waste of titanium; A nice plastic card would be fine by me.

Soli said:
    I saw the other thread where the haters were making fun of this and yet I've never seen any other mention of a credit card being chided for this and it's happened to every single card I've ever placed in my wallet.
    See @80s_Apple_Guy's post - The reason people are 'hating' is because Apple asked for it. Apple went to extremes to make the card look and feel different; multiple posters have raved about how beautiful the card is and how it feels and it's also designed to be kept 'forever' - there's no actual expiration date on the card, if you need a new number, you get one on your phone and keep the same card. The look of the card was obviously important to Apple and yet it won't hold up to even a month of routine use.  It's only a credit card, but they clearly made decisions without regard to its intended use and the natural conclusion of this is to question Apple's design process and decision making.

I think you’re overthinking it. Apple wanted to make a card that people would talk about. If someone is hung up on how it looks, they can push a button in the app and receive a new card. That’s about it. 
    But they also put a lot of time into the look and bragged about it on TV and in public. They opened this can of worms now they have to deal with it. 
    GeorgeBMacrazorpit
  • Reply 49 of 82
    “You're holding it wrong!”

LOL!   B)

Apple's advice amounts to:  don't put it in your wallet, don’t handle it, don't use it — and it will be just fine!   :p  

Do have one observation about this comment:

On topic, I think Apple is taking aesthetics too far! If they are going to base their products strictly on appearance, make sure that appearance is as reliable as their electronic devices.”

They have, in fact, done just that!  This card is about as reliable as their electronic devices have become!  All this card needed was a built-in keyboard using a ultra-reliable mini-butterfly keyboard!

Besides, what were Cook and Apple thinking, partnering with one of the worst financial investment firms on the planet — Goldman Sachs?!
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 50 of 82
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    Wow, my 0% USAA card looks great.
    Maybe Apple should have just went with plastic.
    razorpitbigtds
  • Reply 51 of 82
    On today’s episode of: “Why The Hell Didn’t They Use LiquidMetal?”
    razorpitspock123480s_Apple_Guy
  • Reply 52 of 82
    I strongly suspect if Apple just put out a normal credit card no one would care. However, Apple made this a big design deal and showed it off as such. People expect better quality control Apple as such. 
    Yeah this pretty much nails it.  Of course a card will show wear and tear, but after 1 month is ridiculous.  I’ve got a gold Amex that’s a nicer material (heavier than normal plastic) that still looks great a year later.  Everyone is expecting a titanium card from Apple to be more durable, not less
    razorpit80s_Apple_Guychemengin1
  • Reply 53 of 82
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    melgross said:
    People keep thinking that titanium is some sort of miracle material. It’s not. It’s just a metal that’s fairly hard and durable. It will wear just about as much as anything else.
    I remember Steve J announcing the first metal Apple laptop and how he went on and on about the durability of titanium and how it is used to manufacture airplanes. I imagine the problem here is the final finish chosen by Apple was for appearance over durability. News media is having a field day with this card and it's deserved. 
    GeorgeBMac80s_Apple_Guy
  • Reply 54 of 82
    chasm said:
    I keep all of my cards in little paper sleeves the bank gives me. Doesn't eliminate wear, but certainly helps avoid obvious wear. That said, Apple probably should re-think the coating on this -- people are going to keep it in their wallet, and their wallet is likely to be leather, so that's a problem.
    Only if it is a broad problem with leather, when undoubtedly Apple is referring to leathers with cheap dyes that can transfer to any card.  
  • Reply 55 of 82
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    sflocal said:
    Are we really having a discussion about taking care of a CREDIT CARD?!

seriously people... that’s just sad.
    What's sad is that Apple failed to do basic research and QC on a product that they were showing off.
    If this were a Samsung card the forum would be laughing itself silly.
    Bull. If this were any other company other Apple, no one would be talking about it at all. All of my credit cards are scuffed and used looking. I’ve never heard of a complaint about it before. This whole thing is beyond silly.
    razorpitlordjohnwhorfin
  • Reply 56 of 82
    entropys said:
    AFAIK the only purpose of the card is for showing it off. I suspect I would hardly ever use it in real life as you would use Apple Pay in preference for the bigger discount.
    So yes, unlike other credit cards, I would care that it stays schmick.
    Unfortunately in Canada contactless payments are limited to $100 - so yeah, a physical card (in lieu of iPhone wallet tap) is needed for larger purchases... say like an iPad? What, no 3% in an Apple Store?
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 57 of 82
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    spice-boy said:
    melgross said:
    People keep thinking that titanium is some sort of miracle material. It’s not. It’s just a metal that’s fairly hard and durable. It will wear just about as much as anything else.
    I remember Steve J announcing the first metal Apple laptop and how he went on and on about the durability of titanium and how it is used to manufacture airplanes. I imagine the problem here is the final finish chosen by Apple was for appearance over durability. News media is having a field day with this card and it's deserved. 
    Nonsense... did Apple's marketing for this card discuss (or even imply) that there is some kind of durability given to this card?  Apple just said that it was made of titanium.  Nothing more.  It's the media, trolls, and haters that are making this more than what it is.
    SoliStrangeDays
  • Reply 58 of 82
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Why not put it in a thin clear sleeve to preserve its beauty, just like you would your iPhone?
  • Reply 59 of 82
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    you're swiping it wrong
    lordjohnwhorfinStrangeDaysrazorpit
  • Reply 60 of 82
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    MplsP said:
    williamh said:

Seriously! Apple tries to make a marketing splash with a system that is designed around to help their digital payments system gain an even stronger hold and yet people like MpIsP have come to odd conclusions that a mass produced physical card is some how suppose to be indestructible.
    spock1234razorpit