Disney amps up streaming wars with 'Star Wars' & other programming announcements

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    What is incredibly and pathetically sad is that:

A quick look of the landscape indicates that the day Disney+ launches it will instantly be the best-value streaming service available. 

All of the other services, whether standalone like Netflix and Hulu, or as channels through Apple TV, are all ridiculously overpriced. They all need to come down by 50% of even approach fair market value.
    Things cost whatever people are willing to pay for them. If they find the price of their service is out of whack relative to competitors, they’ll reduce it.
    If only it worked that way. When it comes to video, it has been repeatedly demonstrated that content owners would rather not sell it than lower the price.

Music piracy practically ended when the content owners got with the program, and today people would much rather pay $10/mon for all the music in the world, then waste time pirating music.

Nothing of any sort has happened to video. Piracy is still rampant, and video content is more expensive than ever.
    Rights holders are not obligated to make their content available just because people want it. They can choose to make money on it or not.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Appleish said:
    Disney+ is a no brainer. May be getting Hulu, but definitely canceling Netflix the same day.

Apple TV+ is a head scratcher. If its original programming is all it is, I have zero interest.

Disney+ is also "original programming". Let's give Apple TV+ time before we assume 100% of it will suck.

Just checked out Disney+ launch titles and it's lackluster. I think we're under the impression that the entire catalog would be available. Doesn't seem so. This just gives less reason to believe TV+ will suck compared to others.

My iTunes Disney catalog is better......

https://sciencefiction.com/2019/04/13/here-is-a-full-list-of-existing-films-and-movies-that-will-be-available-when-disney-launches/

What is incredibly and pathetically sad is that:

A quick look of the landscape indicates that the day Disney+ launches it will instantly be the best-value streaming service available. 

All of the other services, whether standalone like Netflix and Hulu, or as channels through Apple TV, are all ridiculously overpriced. They all need to come down by 50% of even approach fair market value.
    Hulu isn’t stand alone. About 6 months ago Disney bought out Comcast’s share, and if they aren’t the sole owner they are at least 70-80% owners of  Hulu. 

Disney has already announced that Hulu is where they will put their more adult content, whatever that means, and even the 6.99 version of Disney comes with the free version of Hulu, so Hulu at this price point will have commercials. You can pay more and get the commercial free version, and you will also get Disney +. I think you can also bundle ESPN and Disney and Hulu. 

I think he meant standalone service which he'd be right.

"and even the 6.99 version of Disney comes with the free version of Hulu"

Hulu hasn't had a free version in years. Even if they did, it would be free so no need to bundle. Disney IS offering a 12.99 bundle with standard Hulu and ESPN+.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    HeliBumHeliBum Posts: 129member
    My first reaction to the headline was, "Well, duh." Disney is a content creation company first and foremost, with a huge catalog; Apple is not.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    I'v been saying for over a year that Disney Corporation is the biggest threat to Apple Corporation over the next ten years. You might say that Apple is a hardware company and Disney isn't. Actually Disney owns the Go Pro camera company and could leverage that to easily build its own internet TV device and that could be a very major threat to Apple TV. Disney's brand is as powerful as Apple's. Once it dominates the streaming media business I can easily see them deciding to manufacture a phone.

Of course I could be totally wrong too.
    Can you provide a source that Disney owns GoPro?  They are listed on the stock exchange, and every reference I’ve seen states they are an independent company.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    ireland said:
    Cowen are pulling those figures out of the air. They have no clue what’s going to happen, and we will have to wait to find out what Apple TV+ costs. Also, I read this quote yesterday... “In the first year of launch, Disney+ will include 7,500 episodes of current and past TV shows and 500 movies, according to Disney”.
    If Apple doesn’t reach Cowen’s figures, you can bet AppleInsider will regurgitate Apple TV+ is a failure. I’m using historical reporting for reference. 
  • Reply 26 of 44
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Will Disney+ include ABC content?
  • Reply 27 of 44
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    AppleZulu said:
    I wonder if 4K will be any sort of factor for the Disney+ app. There's a lot of Disney-owned content on other streaming outlets, but very little of it is available in 4K. There's Marvel films and Star Wars films for sale on Apple, and Amazon, and others streaming on Amazon and Netflix. You can but 4K Blu Ray copies of many of these things, but the streaming content mostly only comes in HD. Perhaps the Disney+ outlet will use 4K content as a selling point. Or maybe not.
    Yeah, I am wanting to finally get to watch Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, or are they going to say NAH you gotta get the UHD DISC (or some OTHER streaming service), if so this will end up like HBO for me, pay as needed...  I am not cheap, it's I refuse to watch the oldies in crusty HD (anymore) LOL...
  • Reply 28 of 44
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    rezwits said:
    AppleZulu said:
    I wonder if 4K will be any sort of factor for the Disney+ app. There's a lot of Disney-owned content on other streaming outlets, but very little of it is available in 4K. There's Marvel films and Star Wars films for sale on Apple, and Amazon, and others streaming on Amazon and Netflix. You can but 4K Blu Ray copies of many of these things, but the streaming content mostly only comes in HD. Perhaps the Disney+ outlet will use 4K content as a selling point. Or maybe not.
    Yeah, I am wanting to finally get to watch Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, or are they going to say NAH you gotta get the UHD DISC (or some OTHER streaming service), if so this will end up like HBO for me, pay as needed...  I am not cheap, it's I refuse to watch the oldies in crusty HD (anymore) LOL...

Forgot to ask about this. No info anywhere.

If their catalog grows at a slow pace and iTunes gets 4K/Dolby Vision/Atmos, I'll build my iTunes library instead. I'm adding Dumbo and a few classics soon.
    rezwits
  • Reply 29 of 44
    muaddib said:
    I am looking forward to a 3D CGI update to Steamboat Willie.
    Nah, I’m waiting for the live action version. Maybe Jeremy Irons or Keanu Reeves as the namesake character.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 30 of 44
    Not likely, as that is on Hulu. To get ABC (and Fox) shows, you’ll have to get the bundle with Hulu and ESPN+. 
  • Reply 31 of 44
    If the $10 price is accurate, then Apple TV+ concedes that many people will only subscribe for a few months a year. The Apple TV app makes doing so as easy as possible. So those subscription numbers will fluctuate, but Apple has built that into their model.

That’s the opposite of the Disney approach, which is all about getting annual subscriptions. Disney can do that, but how many others can? I think I’d argue that it is very few.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    I'v been saying for over a year that Disney Corporation is the biggest threat to Apple Corporation over the next ten years. You might say that Apple is a hardware company and Disney isn't. Actually Disney owns the Go Pro camera company and could leverage that to easily build its own internet TV device and that could be a very major threat to Apple TV. Disney's brand is as powerful as Apple's. Once it dominates the streaming media business I can easily see them deciding to manufacture a phone.

Well, since Apple has made the decision to get into content production, every network and content distributor is their competitor in that arena. The real question is, would Disney get into the technology game (other than games, etc.)?
    Apple still benefits because their platform will support all of the new streaming ventures Apple TV is just the glue. Just like with software and Apps. Their development is really to drive innovation on their platform. When they were depending on others for all content, developers did little. 
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 33 of 44
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Not likely, as that is on Hulu. To get ABC (and Fox) shows, you’ll have to get the bundle with Hulu and ESPN+. 
    That’s probably the route I’d go as I don’t really care about Disney movies. I hope the ABC app remains as is for those who have cable/satellite subscriptions. 
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 34 of 44
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Actually very interested to see what John Favreau does with The Mandalorian. He’s more of a hardcore Star Wars fan than the head of Lucasfilm.
    So was JJ Abrams and we all know how that turned out. And since Episode VII, each release has been plagued with reports of “creative differences” between the studio and the respective film makers. I hope you’re right, but I’m not holding my breath either. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 35 of 44
    Star Wars. 
    Pure derivative drivel designed to sell toys.
    BLAH!!!
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 36 of 44
    Apple has no hope to compete unless they go on a buying spree. Buy the entertainment assets of Comcast and Sony, buy CBS+Viacom outright, buy Discovery. Disney has thrown down a pretty big gauntlet here. Subscribers will get 2 or 3 services per household and will choose among Amazon, Netflix, Disney, Hulu, HBO Max, and after that, their time is monopolized and they won't be looking farther unless there's something huge screaming for their attention and that ain't some Jennifer Aniston show.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    Fatman said:
    If you stack these services you may end of with a nice package, for example:  Disney (ABC, ESPN, Marvel, Pixar) + Netflix + Apple at $25.97/month may make for a killer combination. The remaining live networks not included could be added a la carte, e.g. CBS Live for an additional $5.99 - if you need it that badly. The good news is there will be many options, and they seem to all be staying under the $10/month fee .. at least for now.
    Netflix, Amazon, Disney, Hulu and HBO Max make a killer combo too. There's no particular reason why Apple+ needs to be in the mix, and that's a big problem for Apple.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    ireland said:
    Cowen are pulling those figures out of the air. They have no clue what’s going to happen, and we will have to wait to find out what Apple TV+ costs. Also, I read this quote yesterday... “In the first year of launch, Disney+ will include 7,500 episodes of current and past TV shows and 500 movies, according to Disney”.
    If Apple doesn’t reach Cowen’s figures, you can bet AppleInsider will regurgitate Apple TV+ is a failure. I’m using historical reporting for reference. 
    If Cowen suggests it is, we'll say that Cowen says it is. There's a difference between reporting what somebody else says about something, and talking about what we think about it. You historically take major offense when we aren't always sunshine and roses about Apple -- but the truth of the matter is that it isn't always justified. Apple makes mistakes, and we talk about them too.

The Cowen piece is reporting on what Cowen thinks about the situation. This is presented differently than what we think about something. For example, the link below is an editorial about what William thinks about the launch of Apple TV+

The facts are, and they aren't happy ones, that Apple TV+ has a big hill to climb, especially since it is launching into the wake of the Disney streaming juggernaut. But it will climb that hill like it always does, and it can afford to wait it out.
    edited August 2019 gatorguylolliver
  • Reply 39 of 44
    nerdrage said:
    Apple has no hope to compete unless they go on a buying spree.
    Apple's chances at competing are no different than companies that compete with Disney outside of streaming. Disney is a heavy-hitter for sure, but that doesn't mean there isn't any competition for them. Apple doesn't have to be #1 in order to be successful with the service. 
  • Reply 40 of 44
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 617member

Disney does not own GoPro. They are a publicly traded company with no ties to Disney.