What to expect at Apple's new iPhone 11 event today - and what not to

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    With Apple's push into entertainment services, I'd be willing to bet we're gonna see new hardware when they finally debut; probably October.

1. AppleTV, upgraded SoC, more built-in storage, built-in mic for Siri, new remote. And either a lower price point or X months free TV+/Arcade service.
    2. HomePod, upgrade SoC and lower price or X months free Apple Music service.

3. A new device in the form of a sound bar speaker. Possible HomePod companion device or even a new AppleTV-based device or both.

What there has been, directly from Apple and others, is news of Apple TV being incorporated within TV sets made by other companies

That's not entirely true. Only the TV App is being incorporated into 3rd party devices... not the whole tvOS.
    edited August 2019 watto_cobralolliverAppleExposed
  • Reply 22 of 86
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mjtomlin said:
    With Apple's push into entertainment services, I'd be willing to bet we're gonna see new hardware when they finally debut; probably October.

1. AppleTV, upgraded SoC, more built-in storage, built-in mic for Siri, new remote. And either a lower price point or X months free TV+/Arcade service.
    2. HomePod, upgrade SoC and lower price or X months free Apple Music service.

3. A new device in the form of a sound bar speaker. Possible HomePod companion device or even a new AppleTV-based device or both.

What there has been, directly from Apple and others, is news of Apple TV being incorporated within TV sets made by other companies
    That's not entirely true. Only the TV App is being incorporated into 3rd party devices... not the whole tvOS.
    Hopefully we'll see new devices. Has there been any evidence of a new Apple TV model? It sure seems like there's a lot of new HW coming this year, including a lot more Macs.

PS: Personally, I wish they'd break up the release cycles so that there is something each quarter but with all the OSes being homogenized and symbiotic I can also see why put so much out at once, too, but I wonder if they lose sales because that "new CE" desire gets filled and by the time it wears off you might just want to wait for the next generation. I know that I do that every Autumn.
    muthuk_vanalingamlolliver
  • Reply 23 of 86
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,139member
    "Last updated: iMac 4K and iMac 5K in March 2019"

So should we really be referring to these as 4K and 5K as neither seem usable out of the box at even 4K using scaling ?

Yes one can use aftermarket software such as SwitchResX to force the resolution however is it usable at such high dpi?

Given that's what the products are called, I'd say yes, we should.
    On the Apple store site I just visited such are listed as 21.5" & 27"iMacs, and not 4K and 5K iMacs - they do list 'Retina 4K/5K display' scaling notwithstanding - easy to confuse I suppose, with 'retina' @ 27" scaling being 1440p last time I checked...?
  • Reply 24 of 86
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    I'm not buying a new iPhone, nor a new Apple Watch. In fact, I'm not really in the market for anything on this list. 

For now.

williamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 86
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    Soli said:
    iPhone Pro sounds so stupid for a casual mass consumer product. Pro makes sense for Macs and work/media creation devices. It's what makes the iPad so beautiful. It's casual AND a workhorse for industrial/media applications.

All I care about is the date since rumors ruin the surprise.

Also PLEASE a new Apple TV with A12x to welcome Apple Arcade.
    1) Macs are mass produced consumer devices.

2) Casual is a ridiculously limited view of what a smartphone can do and what it's used for.

3) I couldn't give a shit what a product is called so long as it has the features I want and need at a price point I find agreeable. They can call it the iPhone Pro Mate S10 Galaxy poop:emoji for all I care.
    You missed the point. A car is also mass produced and can be "casual". I can buy a race car and use it to buy groceries and give grandma a ride to the clinic but that's not the point.

1,2,3) You think I didn't think of these arguments beforehand? I did. iPhone "Pro" is still a stupid name for a mass-produced casual device.

Macs and iPads are a whole different story. I can use my Mac as a Facebook machine OR I can use my Mac to edit movies for Disney.
    Can't do both with iPhone...... nor would I want to.

Now in 20 years iPhones may be powerful enough to edit Disney movies but it's still an iPhone and it's way too soon to call an iPhone "pro". Sounds stupid.
    So, you’re claiming you can edit a movie for Disney on an iPad Pro? Really?
    lolliver
  • Reply 26 of 86

So should we really be referring to these as 4K and 5K as neither seem usable out of the box at even 4K using scaling ?

Yes one can use aftermarket software such as SwitchResX to force the resolution however is it usable at such high dpi?

On the Apple store site I just visited such are listed as 21.5" & 27"iMacs, and not 4K and 5K iMacs - they do list 'Retina 4K/5K display' scaling notwithstanding - easy to confuse I suppose, with 'retina' @ 27" scaling being 1440p last time I checked...?
    Are you sure? “5K Display”:

lolliverfastasleeppscooter63
  • Reply 27 of 86
    eightzero said:
    I'm not buying a new iPhone, nor a new Apple Watch. In fact, I'm not really in the market for anything on this list. 

For now.
    Thanks for letting us know, skipper! Anything else you’re not in the market for we should know about? How are you on cleaning supplies?
    JapheymacguilolliverbeowulfschmidtfastasleepJanNLwilliamlondonlkruppboltsfan17
  • Reply 28 of 86
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    I'd bet my grandmother on a new out-of-the-box fast battery charger. My vote for biggest cheer of the day, too. Perhaps USB-C.

A new finish (gradient, frosted or otherwise) too.

3D small object modelling.

On the camera side I'd go for extra zoom, night mode with AIIS and video trickery like dual video.

All washed down with lower prices (second biggest cheer of the day) although I wouldn't bet my grandmother on that one LOL.

edited August 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 86
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    What about the Tile-like trackers they were rumored to be working on? Those would be perfect candidates for a September release, tying into the new Find My in iOS 13. 
    And how are the ceramic Apple Watches considered “beloved”? In all these years, I’ve seen maybe 2 people sporting them. Other than the bloggers and the press, exactly who are they “beloved” by?
  • Reply 30 of 86
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Japhey said:
    What about the Tile-like trackers they were rumored to be working on? Those would be perfect candidates for a September release, tying into the new Find My in iOS 13. 
    And how are the ceramic Apple Watches considered “beloved”? In all these years, I’ve seen maybe 2 people sporting them. Other than the bloggers and the press, exactly who are they “beloved” by?
    I hope we see that and get more info about their sleep mode Find option that uses BT and a mesh network of Apple devices to locate lost items. I keep trying to see if it works with my MBP and iPhone with each new Catalina and iOS 13 betas, respectively, but I don't think that feature is live yet.
  • Reply 31 of 86
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,139member

This may help: www.macworld.com/article/3024239/how-to-adjust-your-mac-displays-resolution-settings.html

Any time I have tried to resolve a full 4K desktop it has not been possible without add on software, and then so small that efficacy becomes a question.  I might guess that is part of the push to 6K, and might we see a 32" 6K iMac Pro to resolve 4K in a meaningful way with scaled near-retina sharpness ?

As I understand it an effective 4K 'desktop' in macOS @ 110dpi (1440p @ 27") needs roughly a 40" display, or 8K at the 220dpi aka 'retina'... Such a setup (40" 4K) has been remarkable in my experience, doubling as an Apple TV as full 4K resolution.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 32 of 86
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member

This may help: www.macworld.com/article/3024239/how-to-adjust-your-mac-displays-resolution-settings.html

Any time I have tried to resolve a full 4K desktop it has not been possible without add on software, and then so small that efficacy becomes a question.  I might guess that is part of the push to 6K, and might we see a 32" 6K iMac Pro to resolve 4K in a meaningful way with scaled near-retina sharpness ?

As I understand it an effective 4K 'desktop' in macOS @ 110dpi (1440p @ 27") needs roughly a 40" display, or 8K at the 220dpi aka 'retina'... Such a setup (40" 4K) has been remarkable in my experience, doubling as an Apple TV as full 4K resolution.
    Effective relative point size of the OS has nothing to do with device resolution.  
    macpluspluswilliamlondon
  • Reply 33 of 86
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    One thing I expect is that people actually picking up the iPhone on the 10th aren't going to be put off by the configuration of the lens array. 
  • Reply 34 of 86
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    eightzero said:

For now.
    Thanks for letting us know, skipper! Anything else you’re not in the market for we should know about? How are you on cleaning supplies?
    Ok for now, but will keep you updated. These events tend to roll stuff out I didn’t know existed and then can’t live without. 

I did visit the new Apple Store in Seattle to get my Xr, and I gotta say the place was fulla stuff I wasn’t in the market for...until I saw all the shiny bits. Pro tip: never go to the weed shop before you go to the Apple Store with credit card (Apple Card!) in hand. Dude.
    edited August 2019 williamlondonFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 35 of 86
    A report also claims that software within iOS will be able to automatically combine photos from the different lenses and apply corrections or improvements to low-light images.

What about wide angle pics without distortion?
  • Reply 36 of 86
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Soli said:
    iPhone Pro sounds so stupid for a casual mass consumer product. Pro makes sense for Macs and work/media creation devices. It's what makes the iPad so beautiful. It's casual AND a workhorse for industrial/media applications.

2) Casual is a ridiculously limited view of what a smartphone can do and what it's used for.

3) I couldn't give a shit what a product is called so long as it has the features I want and need at a price point I find agreeable. They can call it the iPhone Pro Mate S10 Galaxy poop:emoji for all I care.
    That's the problem.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 37 of 86
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Soli said:

You missed the point. A car is also mass produced and can be "casual". I can buy a race car and use it to buy groceries and give grandma a ride to the clinic but that's not the point.

1,2,3) You think I didn't think of these arguments beforehand? I did. iPhone "Pro" is still a stupid name for a mass-produced casual device.

Macs and iPads are a whole different story. I can use my Mac as a Facebook machine OR I can use my Mac to edit movies for Disney.

Now in 20 years iPhones may be powerful enough to edit Disney movies but it's still an iPhone and it's way too soon to call an iPhone "pro". Sounds stupid.
    So, you’re claiming you can edit a movie for Disney on an iPad Pro? Really?

WHERE did I say this?

Can you quote me?

We have seen Disney animators use the iPad for character development and animation.
    edited August 2019 williamlondon
  • Reply 38 of 86

You should check out what Renee Ritchie (imore.com) has to say about the Pro naming rumor and why Apple might be doing it. What he says makes a lot of sense. It is an article/video titled "What everyone is getting wrong about the iPhone 11 Pro"
    edited August 2019 tenthousandthingsmacgui
  • Reply 39 of 86
    DuhSesame said:
    Soli said:

That's the problem.

Of course that's the problem.

But WHY?

Do you really think you can walk into a movie or game studio and see everyone developing on their iPhones? Of course not.
  • Reply 40 of 86

You should check out what Renee Ritchie (imore.com) has to say about the Pro naming rumor and why Apple might be doing it. What he says makes a lot of sense. It is an article/video titled "What everyone is getting wrong about the iPhone 11 Pro"

I believe the best reason to call it "pro" would be for AR and possibly photograph. But at that point iPhone Pro better be competing with Canon DSLRs/SLRs.

It's still a dumb name for iPhone.

P.S. I'll check it out since Rene Ritchie actually uses common sense unlike other "journalists".
    edited August 2019