Apple publishes new beta version of iCloud web portal, adds Reminders

Posted:
in iCloud edited June 2020
Apple on Thursday updated the beta version of its iCloud web portal, bringing a new background and revamped Reminders app to the site.

Updated beta site for iCloud
Updated beta site for iCloud

The new beta site, first noticed by Federico Viticci, drops the bubbly blue backdrop of its predecessor and replaces it with a stark white background.

A user's profile image and name is displayed squarely in the center of the screen above a row different web app options. Among them, is the newly overhauled Reminders app that is set to debut with iOS 13 and macOS Catalina. Online, the app looks similar to its iOS counterpart, though not all features are present on the web.

New https://t.co/1rxiu3BRbk beta web app has gone live (thanks @kylesethgray). New launch screen, new Reminders app, and an iCloud Drive web app. pic.twitter.com/CATWI8vCy2

-- Federico Viticci (@viticci)

Apple's web-based iCloud portal is a useful tool for Apple users. They can access their iCloud email, Notes, Reminders, Calendar, Photos, Files, as well as find their devices and friends. Users are also able to manage their account settings from the web interface.

Those who want to try out the beta site for themselves can access it now by heading to beta.iCloud.com.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,304member
    Hopefully this site will be Dark Mode-capable. SO MUCH WHITE!!
    PetrolDavecornchipwatto_cobradysamoria
  • Reply 2 of 10
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Needs an app for controlling the Apple Card.
    For the present you have to have an iPhone.

Also icons look sized for iphone. Bigger please.
    edited August 2019 PetrolDavewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Good news is apps other than Find My iPhone are available from mobile, Photos and Notes for now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    entropys said:

That's part of the idea....
    ApplePay and iPhone security benefits Apple and GS both -- that mostly means an iPhone.   They get no benefit over opening it to a (mostly) Windows based web application.

Making it iPhone centric was not an accident.  The same is true for AppleWatch and Health.   Apple won't be opening them up to web based apps anytime soon.
    flyingdp
  • Reply 5 of 10
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Wonder if they’ll ever add maps.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Whenever I see an added feature or update to iCloud’s web portal I’m hopeful iMessage will be added.  For the life of me I don’t know why it hasn’t been.

I understand that the circumstances are rare where this might be useful - stuck on a pc with wired-only internet access in a govt building with no cell service  (no less than 3 times for me in the last 9 mos).

However, iMessage works as a feature of iCloud on my iOS device with WiFi only access would stand to reason that iClouds web portal should be capable of offering the same functionality.
    GeorgeBMacsedicivalvolewatto_cobradysamoria
  • Reply 7 of 10
    It does seem like a bit of an omission - though iMessage comes when you purchase an iDevice. You don’t do that with iCloud so they would need to tie the account to something to prove ownership of a device.

Could be quite tricky to implement properly to stop everyone jumping on iMessage. I guess that’s is the differentiator?
    watto_cobrairwinmaurice
  • Reply 8 of 10
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Oh yay, more whitespace. 
  • Reply 9 of 10
    entropys said:

The icons will resize if you zoom in on the site with cmd-+ and you can also use the preferences in Safari to set a default zoom level for the page (Preferences -> Websites -> Page Zoom)
  • Reply 10 of 10
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    dysamoria said:
    Oh yay, more whitespace. 
    Room for third party apps?
    edited August 2019