Apple rolls out 'Dickinson' trailer, coming soon to Apple TV+

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2019
Apple has debuted the first trailer for 'Dickinson,' examining the rise of author Emily Dickinson, and as a voice for the modern age.

Starring Hailee Steinfeld, the 30-minute comedy series will look at the restrained 19th-century world of Emily Dickinson through the poet's unique filter. Steinfeld has never before had a regular TV role, being best known for movies like "True Grit" and "Pitch Perfect," as well as her musical career.

Alena Smith will serve as writer and executive producer, while David Gordon Green is set to direct and executive produce. Alex Goldstone from Anonymous Content will also executive produce, alongside Michael Sugar and Ashley Zalta via Sugar23 Productions and Darlene Hunt. The show is being produced by wiip, Anonymous Content, and Sugar23.

A release date for it, or the Apple TV+ service as a whole is as of yet unknown.

Apple CEO Tim Cook took to the stage at the March 25 event to deliver what he ultimately called a "sneak peek" at the new streaming video service called Apple TV+. In a presentation that was replete with star names, Apple would only say that the service is coming this Fall and be available via the Apple TV app.

No pricing has yet been announced, and it is not yet known if Apple would offer bundles with its existing Apple Music, the Apple News+ service, or any third-party video streaming services.
15ngcs1

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Dickinson seems to be targeted to the individual who watches the CW network of shows.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    I don't know why but everyone seems to be excited about this show. When Apple posted the Morning Show tweet it was spammed with "Where's Dickinson?" replies.

Didn't even know people knew about this show.

(Not bashing, just curious.)
  • Reply 3 of 16
    dedgeckodedgecko Posts: 169member
    Dickinson seems to be targeted to the individual who watches the CW network of shows.
    Something for everyone...
  • Reply 4 of 16
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Well, I’ve yet to see trailers for Foundation and for all mankind, but TBH I fear what a company like Apple will do to them.
    So far though this is risking being a vanity project that will be uncompetitive in a crowded market. Will that matter if it is tied with hardware purchases? Standalone it could Ping!
    It better have an impressive back catalogue from real content providers. You know, the people that traditionally bought Mac hardware and were its most loyal customers.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    I don't know why but everyone seems to be excited about this show. When Apple posted the Morning Show tweet it was spammed with "Where's Dickinson?" replies.
    Nice change of pace to all the comments on how the shows they've never seen aren't going to be any good.
    lolliverAppleExposed
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Yawn.
    crowleyAppleExposedurahara
  • Reply 7 of 16
    entropys said:
    Well, I’ve yet to see trailers for Foundation and for all mankind, but TBH I fear what a company like Apple will do to them.
    So far though this is risking being a vanity project that will be uncompetitive in a crowded market. Will that matter if it is tied with hardware purchases? Standalone it could Ping!
    It better have an impressive back catalogue from real content providers. You know, the people that traditionally bought Mac hardware and were its most loyal customers.
    Just some comments: 1) Apple isn't in charge of any of these series. So it's not really even a question of what "Apple will do to them". It's a question of what the creatives in charge will do. 2) There's no evidence that there will be ANY back catalog at all. That's not what they are going for. At least according to what we know so far. 3) What does "a vanity project" even mean, really? It's either successful, or it's not.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 8 of 16
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    The trailer makes it look like a lot of fun. Seems like being family friendly doesn’t mean you can’t have sass.
  • Reply 9 of 16

Hailee Steinfeld was amazing in True Grit.

Steinfeld + the time period + genre makes me excited to watch this.

AppleExposed
  • Reply 10 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Hailee Steinfeld was amazing in True Grit.

Steinfeld + the time period + genre makes me excited to watch this.

I was really surprised by the strength of her performance in that remake, but the original is also well worth revisiting.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    entropys said:
    Just some comments: 1) Apple isn't in charge of any of these series. So it's not really even a question of what "Apple will do to them". It's a question of what the creatives in charge will do. 2) There's no evidence that there will be ANY back catalog at all. That's not what they are going for. At least according to what we know so far. 3) What does "a vanity project" even mean, really? It's either successful, or it's not.
    Of course Apple is in charge. They pays ze moneys.
    Vanity project as in Sony paying ludicrous amounts to get into movies, which has taken years and years to recoup.
    It needs a lot of content to justify a subscription. If it is just the twenty or thirty Apple funded originals, then it would be free with an Apple Music subscription. Otherwise, like Sony, it will take a generation to recoup the cost. And likely to be seen more by pirates than subscribers.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Definitely targeted at an audience half the age of the average AI commenter and below  :D
  • Reply 13 of 16
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    entropys said:
    entropys said:
    Vanity project as in Sony paying ludicrous amounts to get into movies, which has taken years and years to recoup.
    It needs a lot of content to justify a subscription. If it is just the twenty or thirty Apple funded originals, then it would be free with an Apple Music subscription. Otherwise, like Sony, it will take a generation to recoup the cost. And likely to be seen more by pirates than subscribers.

I believe he means Apples tech employees interrupting as was previously rumored. Tim Cook said he and others at Apple do not give directing advice to the creators who "know what they're doing".

Apple is better at making money than Sony. Apple has the platforms in place and will come out swinging.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 14 of 16
    crowley said:
    The trailer makes it look like a lot of fun. Seems like being family friendly doesn’t mean you can’t have sass.
    The major TV networks have had plenty of sass and drama sans nudity or swearing going on decades, now. All the "But it's not Game of Thrones with beewbs!" whining is quite absurd. 
  • Reply 15 of 16

entropys said:
    entropys said:
    Oh, but why would people pirate shows that the web-goers have already declared won't be any good? Why would someone watch something that isn't any good? Hmm we have a conundrum here. 
  • Reply 16 of 16
    I don't get this show. It's a period piece that includes a woman from the 1800s talking like she's alive today and throwing up metal salutes? Like... is this supposed to be a comedic take on Emily Dickinson or...? It just feels really weird.