Microsoft announces October event, Surface line expected to get updates

Posted:
in General Discussion
Microsoft has alerted the press to an event that will likely see the unveiling of new Surface devices, similar to the event that took place in late 2018.

Microsoft event save the date

This year, Microsoft's fall event will take place on October 2 in New York City. The event invitation simply reads "Save the date," and features a stylized version of the Windows logo.

Historically, Microsoft announces new Surface computers at their fall event. In 2018, Microsoft had announced the Surface Pro 6, Surface Laptop 2, the Surface Studio 2 and the Surface headphones.

The Surface tablet line stands as some of the best Windows tablets to get, provided that you're in the market to get a Windows tablet. It's a solid device if you need something capable of running Windows 10, though won't dothe same things that your iPad is capable of.

The Surface laptop line doesn't shine quite as much as their tablet line, either. The high price point coupled with performance means many users may feel unsatisfied with their purchase. It only serves as a good alternative for those looking for a solid Windows-based 2-in-1 device and can afford to drop the $3,000. Otherwise, it's likely that users may want to pick up the more affordable 13-inch MacBook Pro.

It will be interesting to see what devices Microsoft announces at the October event and how they'll stack up against Apple's anticipated new line of iPads expected to be announced at Apple's September event.

Apple has not as of yet announced the date of the September event, but it is predicted to be on September 10. It is similarly not yet known if Apple will have an October event like it did in 2018.
lolliver

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I wonder if Microsoft will figure out users want more than 128GB of space, even at the low end...

I’m seeing 128GB machines heavily discounted by both Microsoft and Apple.  The new MacBook Air with 128GB gets more heavily discounted every time I look.  Last time I saw it for  ~$850, which is a great price...but damn 128GB that’s to small.

Kingston release the first 128GB flash drive 10 years ago... yes FLASH not sata or SSD.

Come on manufacturers, stop gimping models with not enough space!  These AREN’T Netbooks...

edited August 2019 davgregnotsorazorpit
  • Reply 2 of 7
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Didn't even know these existed. People watch this crap?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    HP two in ones are better. Spectres in particular.
    i wonder if surface pros will get GPS?

CloudTalkin
  • Reply 4 of 7
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Bought a Surface Pro 6 to replace my MBP and the fist upgrade should be Windows Home to Windows Pro. It has been a nice laptop to travel with along with my iPad Pro.

My only complaints are the clumsy AC adapter/charger and the battery life. Other than that it is a nice unit. It boots faster than any device Apple sells and has been stable and trouble free. I am running Cylance for AV- also run my desktop Macs on Cylance (+ Intego)- and have had no issues.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Love my Surface Pro 5 at work.  Like the article said, if you need Windows 10, Surface Pro is the way to go.  Light, compact, pretty fast.  Battery life isn’t amazing, but really hope this new generation fixes that.  

All in on Apple at home, but just can’t use it in an MBP in a professional setting yet.  
    lolliver
  • Reply 6 of 7
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I hope they make the SurfaceBook less shitty. We unfortunately have these at work and they're by far the biggest overpriced pieces of shit. They break down (overheating, won't charge, video card issues, dock issues, etc). These are honestly the worst laptop we offer. They have a lot to fix if they want to be a real contender. 
    lolliverrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Microsoft has alerted the press to an event that will likely see the unveiling of new Surface devices, similar to the event that took place in late 2018.

Microsoft event save the date

This year, Microsoft's fall event will take place on October 2 in New York City. The event invitation simply reads "Save the date," and features a stylized version of the Windows logo.
    That logo looks like they've tried to make it mimic the "10" and "02" on the two rows - although as usual with Microsoft, they've taken away things that could make their interface clearer. :tongue:
    Historically, Microsoft announces new Surface computers at their fall event.
    "S***. Apple own September. Maybe if we wait until October people will pay attention to our announcements?" :tongue:
    lolliverpscooter63watto_cobra