Steve Wozniak says Apple should have split up long ago, talks push into services and more ...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    wood1208 said:
    Mr.Wozniak proved that some human becomes stupider as they get older.!! So, better to stay quite.

Does that same yarn apply to you? Perhaps best to stay "quite".
    GeorgeBMacllama
  • Reply 22 of 79
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    I do not think his ideas are that bad. He had some really good ones, and had they been  implemented, Microsoft would’ve been a nobody. 
  • Reply 23 of 79
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

Steve Wozniak says Apple should have split up long ago, ...

Wait, there were two Steve’s, then there was one.  Seems like Apple did exactly what Woz says they should have done...  long ago (1985).
    sarthoswatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 79
    Japhey said:
    tzeshan said:
    i am curious. What are his contributions after leaving Apple decades ago? Giving advices to Apple? 
    Also, why does he continually refer to Apple as “we”?  Is he currently connected to the company in any way, official or not?
    And also, why does his beard look pink?
    He has every right to say "we". More right than anyone who is currently alive. Dismount from your high horse and you'll be able to see that more clearly.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 25 of 79
    Wozniak left Apple in 1985. HIs opinion is no more valid than anyone else's. 
    uraharaanantksundaramradarthekatsarthoswatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 79
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Meant to use "stolen IP".

Too late to edit. Sorry.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 79
    DAalseth said:
    I respect him but I can’t agree with this. Apple’s strength is how deeply all the parts are integrated. Actually it bothers me when they keep dragging Apple into this “big tech needs to be broken up” chant. Google, yes, Amazon, certainly, Facebook needs to be beaten to death with a stick, but Apple isn't the same kind of engulf and devour company. They make devices. They make computers. That’s it. Their services are related to those. Their devices are related to each other. Maybe they should call for breaking up Pepsico because they make too many kinds of foods, or Boeing because they make too many kinds of aircraft.
    I think there are a number of smaller software vendors that have disappear because of what apple has done in software space along with big ones like Spotify that would disagree with your assessment that Apple makes devices, they make computers the end. Apple often plays in the software space and now the services space where it has the monopoly position and does use that to its advantage. You might enjoy it and feel it gives you a better experience but that doesn't change the fact they do some very questionable things in certain markets. Things that aren't always pro-consumer.
  • Reply 28 of 79
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    He really needs to learn how to shut his piehole.
    cornchip
  • Reply 29 of 79
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    Japhey said:
    tzeshan said:
    i am curious. What are his contributions after leaving Apple decades ago? Giving advices to Apple? 
    Also, why does he continually refer to Apple as “we”?  Is he currently connected to the company in any way, official or not?
    According to this report: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/18/steve-wozniak-still-on-apple-payroll-jokes-he-still-reports-to-jobs.html, the Woz is still on the payroll. Without him the Woz there would be no Apple. Without Steve Jobs there would be no Apple. It needed both of them. Also, his total net worth is reportedly around $100 million, so I'd rather listen to him than trollers with a net worth of much, much less than that.
    elijahgJapheyknowitall1st
  • Reply 30 of 79
    mjtomlin said:
    My biggest problem is the Apple App Store.  I do value the “walled garden” approach, but it’s definitely anticompetitive.  I think there’s momentum to change how some of the things are done at Apple...legislatively.  Apple should make changes preemptively...

Definitely anticompetitive? How so?
    Does Apple have to pay the 30% “Apple Tax”? No.

That’s HUGE competitive advantage.  Apple can develop any service/software and squash the competition (on their platform).  Apple did so with Apple Music and they’ll eventually do so with Apple Arcade, Apple TV, New+ etc.

Anything sold through the Apple App Store is at a competitive disadvantage.  And, that’s the only realistic way to install software.  

Apple App Store... that’s going to be a problem.  I don’t know the answer, maybe make it an Apple subsidiary...  it would throw regulators a bone and increase tax revenues.

Apple is going to hate changing anything and fight anything tooth and nail (they don’t even give iPhone sales numbers anymore) but there is a problem.

I think regulations are going to come at Apple from every direction... I bet Apple Pay and Apple Card have them concerned.  Apple is expanding in to many directions (yes, sometimes to consumers benefit).  It isn’t difficult to find possible antitrust violations.  Does Apple allow other companies Apple Pays level of integration? For example...

The dominance of Android globally, give Apple a strong case for not being considered a monopoly, but that’s a bit different.  I don’t think Apple will be “broken up” but I do expect a settlement (non monetarily) that will requires changes.
    Metriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 31 of 79
    john f.john f. Posts: 111member
    Japhey said:

Well, he is still on the payroll at Apple, according to the man himself. I don't know under which capacity. But he officially never left and was never fired. Nice, right? Co-founder of Apple and still employee to this day! He jokingly said that only Steve Jobs could fire him, so after he passed away now nobody can.
  • Reply 32 of 79
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    mjtomlin said:
    My biggest problem is the Apple App Store.  I do value the “walled garden” approach, but it’s definitely anticompetitive.  I think there’s momentum to change how some of the things are done at Apple...legislatively.  Apple should make changes preemptively...

That’s HUGE competitive advantage.  Apple can develop any service/software and squash the competition (on their platform).  Apple did so with Apple Music and they’ll eventually do so with Apple Arcade, Apple TV, New+ etc.

Anything sold through the Apple App Store is at a competitive disadvantage.  And, that’s the only realistic way to install software.  

First of all, no Apple does not pay a 30% tax, but they do spend tens of billions every year to keep the platform alive, so that others/competitors have a viable platform to offer their software and services to Apple's customers.  --Apparently, developers can't say no to Apple, because there isn't another viable platform to develop for?

Yes, Apple definitely has a competitive advantage because they spent the time, money, and resources to create and maintain their platform. It's their operating system and their hardware which is the ONLY place any iOS software can run regardless of how many App Stores are made available. They will ALWAYS have a competitive advantage because of those two simple facts; Apple determines what an app can and cannot do while running, and they determine what hardware features their devices come with and how much access an app has to that hardware.

Apple can only "squash" competition if they were collecting that 30% from every user that used the competing service on their platform. THAT'S NOT THE CASE. They only collect that when that subscription originates from Apple's platform. Spotify has over 100 million subscribers, they have stated that ONLY 800,000 of those originated from Apple's platform. How is it possible for Apple to "squash" Spotify with those types of numbers? Apple Music is not squashing Spotify, Spotify's business model is. And how can you claim competing services cannot thrive when Spotify continues to grow? These services do not need Apple's platform to survive.

More importantly, having a competitive advantage is NOT the same thing as being anticompetitive. Being anticompetitive means attempting to prevent competition from competing at all. Apple clearly allows other services to compete with their own. And even prices their services fairly rather than predatory. They could even offer some services for free as an incentive to buy their devices, but they don't. People STILL complain that they only give you 5GB of iCloud Drive space!!!

And finally, let's not forget this competitive advantage only applies to their hardware and platform. It does not exist when competing outside of that. Some 80% of the rest of the smartphone market. Apple has a successful business model, making and selling the whole widget. Developers choose to develop apps for that product and agree to rules/fees laid out in 2008 when 3rd party development began. Nothing about any of that is anticompetitive or monopolistic.
    edited August 2019 radarthekatmacxpresscornchipbestkeptsecretsarthos
  • Reply 33 of 79
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    dewme said:
    Why the venom in the majority of comments? The Woz is very clear that he is expressing his personal perspectives and not trying to shove his opinions down your throat. There’s nothing disrespectful coming from Woz to us so why sling disrespect back his way? 

Geez, there was a time when men could express themselves and those who didn’t agree with them would politely nod and say “okay.” Now if someone says something people don’t agree with they’re likely to plunge a fireplace poker in the speaker’s face. 

The chill is gone. 
    The problem is that we don’t want to hear his opinion on this matter. He can talk whatever he wants. Why does he yet get attention from media?
    sarthos
  • Reply 34 of 79
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    mjtomlin said:

Apple App Store... that’s going to be a problem.  I don’t know the answer, maybe make it an Apple subsidiary...  it would throw regulators a bone and increase tax revenues.

Apple is going to hate changing anything and fight anything tooth and nail (they don’t even give iPhone sales numbers anymore) but there is a problem.

I think regulations are going to come at Apple from every direction... I bet Apple Pay and Apple Card have them concerned.  Apple is expanding in to many directions (yes, sometimes to consumers benefit).  It isn’t difficult to find possible antitrust violations.  Does Apple allow other companies Apple Pays level of integration? For example...

The dominance of Android globally, give Apple a strong case for not being considered a monopoly, but that’s a bit different.  I don’t think Apple will be “broken up” but I do expect a settlement (non monetarily) that will requires changes.
    There is no “Apple Tax”. There is a fee for using their services/products. 
    Every company looks for competitive advantage. This is how you compete - and win. 
    Everyone is already coming at Apple, if you missed it.  Because Apple successful everyone wants a bite of their success. 
  • Reply 35 of 79
    dewme said:
    Why the venom in the majority of comments? The Woz is very clear that he is expressing his personal perspectives and not trying to shove his opinions down your throat. There’s nothing disrespectful coming from Woz to us so why sling disrespect back his way? 

Geez, there was a time when men could express themselves and those who didn’t agree with them would politely nod and say “okay.” Now if someone says something people don’t agree with they’re likely to plunge a fireplace poker in the speaker’s face. 

The chill is gone. 
    That interpretation seems inconsistent with his continued use of “we” in his responses. To a less informed listener/reader, that seems an awful lot like he’s a person with a position of authority at Apple. He’s clearly injecting himself into the discussion under seemingly false pretenses. 

I say that as someone who actually agrees with much of the content of what he’s saying there, especially the part about splitting up Apple — I’ve said that for a few years now, and not so much for antitrust reasons as for reasons of incentivizing ‘standalone’ divisions better.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 36 of 79
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    larryjw said:
    Apple did spin off Claris/FileMaker. Might make sense to spin off their push into movies and tv shows.

Neither are their core. 

Great example!
    Claris is such a household name, after the spinoff... probably just as recognizable as Apple itself!!!

FABULOUS idea that Apple should split up into a bunch of Claris Works companies, instead.

/sarcasm
    In its day Claris Inc was one of the top ten software houses worldwide and as an independent company had a very bright future. Apple brought things in house and the whole thing withered and died. They were complicated times for Apple and the shadow of Microsoft was never far away.

FileMaker remained an Apple subsidiary and prospered. Now it is also being absorbed into the mothership I believe.

I've long said that the entire Mac division should be spun off. The many disasters of the last few years (Mac Pro, Mini, iMac etc) would never have happened.
    DAalseth
  • Reply 37 of 79
    foljs said:
    kkqd1337 said:
    This guy is totally irrelevant and should stop embarrassing himself 
    Says someone even more irrelevant...
    @kkqd1337 laid no claim to relevance, nor did he presume to give any advice to Apple, so your comment is a tad irrelevant. 
    muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 38 of 79
    steveau said:
    Japhey said:
    tzeshan said:
    According to this report: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/18/steve-wozniak-still-on-apple-payroll-jokes-he-still-reports-to-jobs.html, the Woz is still on the payroll. Without him the Woz there would be no Apple. Without Steve Jobs there would be no Apple. It needed both of them. Also, his total net worth is reportedly around $100 million, so I'd rather listen to him than trollers with a net worth of much, much less than that.
    He has no official role at Apple, so his use of “we” is questionable at best. As to the extent of his stock ownership, I fail to understand its relevance: Carl Icahn owned many multiples more and is considered a savvy player on Wall Street, and yet came out with a bunch of utterly crappy, useless proposals for Apple. 
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 39 of 79
    dewme said:

The chill is gone. 
    Agreed on that.....opinion only. Relevant or ere-levant for that matter....RESPECT their opinions 
    GeorgeBMacsteveau
  • Reply 40 of 79
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    fmp3 said:
    I really get tired of those who downplay profits.  Gross Profit makes the world go round, and, most importantly, funds research for new and better products.
    Very true, the world is built on profit, on making a buck, on cutting a deal and screwing over the other guy. Of getting more things, and bigger things, and newer things than your neighbour. 
    But I wonder why it has to be that way.
    Because yes Apple made record profits this year, Cook got a $115 million bonus for meeting Apple's profit target.
    But within a mile of Apple HQ there are people sleeping on the street and eating garbage. 
    Profit doesn't mean much to them.
    There has to be a better way.

/philosophy

FileMakerFellersteveau