Apple releases public beta of iOS 13.1 and iPadOS 13.1

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has followed up the developer beta of iOS 13.1 and iPadOS 13.1 with a public version.

It looks as if certain features including Automation improvements are going to be held back for iOS 13.1
It looks as if certain features including Automation improvements are going to be held back for iOS 13.1

After surprising developers with a beta release of iOS 13.1, instead of the anticipated continuation of version 13, Apple has now released a public version too.

While Apple has not commented on this release or on the move to betas of iOS 13.1, the developer version included features that the company had promised for the forthcoming release but were not in the latest iOS 13 beta. It's assumed, then, that feature such as the new Automation tab are going to be held back for a later 13.1 update.

If you are already on Apple's public beta program, then you can get the new version by going to Settings on your iPhone or iPad and choosing General, Software Update.

Apple's official beta sign-up website is still active, but you can expect the final release of iOS 13 to be within the next couple of weeks at most.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Dave CummingsDave Cummings Posts: 43unconfirmed, member
    yeeeeeeah.....I'm not going to set up for that yet. I don't want to potentially miss out on the GM for 13.0.  

I do have a question though,  what about further Betas for 13.0?  Are they still coming out? How will they be released?  Will there be an option to select which one? 
  • Reply 2 of 15
    How’s battery life on iOS 13 public beta so far?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Cannot comment on battery life on the iPhone, but on the iPad Pro it is a little less than the current release.

For the most part it is bug free excepting little things like “open in a new tab” not being consistent on all web sites.
    razorpitjbdragon
  • Reply 4 of 15
    ipados 13.1 is very buggy  on my 12.9 ipad pro 2nd gen. Don’t install this one, its not stable. Icons on home screen are a mess. Touchscreen unresponsive. All reported to Apple. 
  • Reply 5 of 15
    yeeeeeeah.....I'm not going to set up for that yet. I don't want to potentially miss out on the GM for 13.0.  

I do have a question though,  what about further Betas for 13.0?  Are they still coming out? How will they be released?  Will there be an option to select which one? 
    Further betas for 13 are likely.  I think the split was about what new features were going to come with 13 and what will come with 13.1.

Some things were holding up 13 so a decision was made...  Now they can focus on making 13 as stable as possible. 

The biggest thing i noticed was the pairing of one iPhone to multiple AirPods... that’s been pushed to 13.1 (I think).
  • Reply 6 of 15

I'm curious how a beta tester on iOS 13 can continue to receive beta releases and not be forced to go to 13.1 too.
    svanstromrazorpit
  • Reply 7 of 15
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Public beta only gave the option of 13.1.
    edited August 2019 razorpit
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I installed both new OS and my iPhone X and my iPad 6th gen have no issues so far.     Like the Dark mode like I do on my Mac
    sergioz
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Installed on my X. 

Share sheets are broken they no longer show recent contacts notice the big black section   

• Reply 10 of 15
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    adam7100 said:
    Installed on my X. 

Share sheets are broken they no longer show recent contacts notice the big black section   

Yeah that appears to be a bug. 
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 11 of 15
    chaickachaicka Posts: 257member

Further betas for 13 are likely.  I think the split was about what new features were going to come with 13 and what will come with 13.1.

Some things were holding up 13 so a decision was made...  Now they can focus on making 13 as stable as possible. 

The biggest thing i noticed was the pairing of one iPhone to multiple AirPods... that’s been pushed to 13.1 (I think).
    I have paired iPhone X with multiple AirPods and works fine even before iOS 13. Been alternating between AirPods even after being on iOS 13. Just update to 13.1 so gonna see how it works out.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    My first apartment in the East Village had less bugs. Apple pare that mess down. 
  • Reply 13 of 15
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    On iPadOS, the "tap to hold" on home screen is atricious. If you tap to hold, it brings up context menu but if you slide to select an option and accidently slide out of menu, it automatically drags the icon and goes into "move/delete" shaking mode. The user error is frequent. It should just not do that at all. Once context menu appears, it should remain fixed until the touch is unregistered. 
  • Reply 14 of 15
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    it's not really likely at all. Apart from it being very unusual and so close to the release date, just look at the build number for 13.1 which is still 17Axxxxx. This suggests it's iOS 13.1 in name only. Usually a new version of iOS would make the build 17Bxxxxxx.

There's a chance there might be one more internally tested build that's a number before the 13.1 build which will go on the new iPhones and be released publicly.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Dave CummingsDave Cummings Posts: 43unconfirmed, member
    I removed myself from the Beta profile, because even with automatic updates off, it kept on trying to update to 13.1. Question though, with it off, it says it’s on 13.0, will I have any issues when the final 13.0 comes out? Or will I have to wait until 13.1 drops?