Apple's 'By Innovation Only' new iPhone event is on Sept. 10

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2019
Apple has revealed the date of its annual September event, the venue of the company's refresh of the iPhone product line, with invitations to the media confirming this year's event will take place on Tuesday, September 10.

Apple's
Apple's "By Innovation Only" September 10 event invitation

Members of the media have been informed of an event that will take place at 10 a.m. Pacific time in the Steve Jobs Theater, a building within the Apple Park campus in Cupertino.

AppleInsider will be covering the event live, providing full analysis during and after the event, with particular attention made towards the iPhone launches.

Confirming earlier rumors, this years' event takes place two days earlier than the one held in 2018, which was for the launch of the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR. The event has been a staple of September for the last eight years, starting with the iPhone 5 in 2012, with the launch and release of the new models a regular occurrence that capitalizes on the following holiday shopping period.

Loosely known as the "iPhone 11" collection, this year's models are rumored to consist of three variants, with two premium OLED models accompanied by a third value-oriented LCD version, similar to 2018. Aside from the expected specifications bump, the new models will have one significant change over other versions.

Apple's historic rainbow logo (left) next to the September event invitation image (right)
Apple's historic rainbow logo (left) next to the September event invitation image (right)

The dominating rumor is that Apple will move to add an extra camera on the rear of each model across the board, bringing the OLED models up to three cameras and the LCD variant up to two. The extra camera is considered to have a wide-angle lens to accompany regular and telephoto versions.

There has been some speculation Apple will add the "Pro" tag to at least one of the models, expanding the branding suffix to its premier product line for the first time. There is also the belief that Apple will include the ability to recharge other devices, possibly wirelessly, remove 3D Touch from all models, and will have a modified mute switch.

Other products like a new iPad Pro family, a budget iPad, and so forth are expected soon. It isn't clear if Apple will just be talking about the iPhone at the event, or hold an event in October like it has done in the past.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 112
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    That's a daring title on the invite.

Perhaps the fruity logo will make a return!

Seriously, putting 'innovation' in there perhaps means there really is some meat in there with the potatoes after all.
    chemengin1muthuk_vanalingamAppleExposed9secondkox2
  • Reply 2 of 112
    I hadn’t really thought of it until just now but there seems to have been very few “leaks” about the new iPhones. Other than the addition of a third camera and some case photos/renders I haven’t heard much around hardware.

Here’s to hoping the “innovation” part of the invitation surprises us. Although, as has been pointed out by others, if the overall look of the phone doesn’t change drastically there will be howls of outrage and disappointment and lack of innovation. Brace yourselves...
    cornchipanantksundaramgilly33lollivernetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 112
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    Bring back the rainbow Apple!
    9secondkox2tshapiwatto_cobraseafoxtyler82argonaut
  • Reply 4 of 112
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    This article should be amended to include the likelihood that a new set of WATCH Series 5 models will also be introduced at this event. New faster processor, longer lasting battery, New titanium and ceramic enclosures.
    edited August 2019 cornchipnetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 112
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Innovation as in the exact same body and design but tons of more gestures (re)learn. When a company is no longer willing or able to take risk it soon become irrelevant. 
  • Reply 6 of 112
    I hadn’t really thought of it until just now but there seems to have been very few “leaks” about the new iPhones. Other than the addition of a third camera and some case photos/renders I haven’t heard much around hardware.

Here’s to hoping the “innovation” part of the invitation surprises us. Although, as has been pointed out by others, if the overall look of the phone doesn’t change drastically there will be howls of outrage and disappointment and lack of innovation. Brace yourselves...
    You are right. I mentioned this a couple of times a little while ago. 

A lot of the speculation has been around a slightly upgraded line of 2018 phones but it is equally true that there have been virtually no 'leaks' so far apart from the outer case.
    chemengin1muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 7 of 112
    McJobsMcJobs Posts: 29member
    Another Apple event that will be ruined by Tim Cook's fake excitement.
    chemengin1kestralrazorpitflyingdpcornchiptrashman69SpamSandwichtyler82argonaut
  • Reply 8 of 112
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    This article should be amended to include the likelihood that a new set of WATCH Series 5 models will also be introduced at this event. New faster processor, longer lasting battery, New titanium and ceramic enclosures.
    Yes please! This is what I’m waiting for to replace my series 0. 
    cornchiplolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 112
    kestralkestral Posts: 308member
    Hopefully it's real innovation and not "can't innovate any more my ass" innovation.
    chemengin1AppleExposedanantksundaram
  • Reply 10 of 112
    kestralkestral Posts: 308member
    McJobs said:
    Another Apple event that will be ruined by Tim Cook's fake excitement.
    But "gOoD mOrNiNg" and he thinks you're going to love it
  • Reply 11 of 112
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    By Innovation Only? What a cheesy title.
    chemengin1AppleExposedanantksundaram
  • Reply 12 of 112
    Really? You didn't think it was innovative? :wink: 

Would love to be knocked off my ass on Sep 20 instead of bored off. Would love that tingle you used to get with Steve's "one more thing" that was truly unexpected. I guess those days are gone. 
    edited August 2019 flyingdpanantksundaramargonaut
  • Reply 13 of 112
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Oh boy, I hear the whines of the hipsters already...
    dedgeckoronngilly33lollivernetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 112
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    That title is going to invite ridicule if they don’t have some big hitters to back it up. Here’s hoping!
    bluefire1cornchipchemengin1entropyslolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 112
    vahancouvervahancouver Posts: 14unconfirmed, member
    Instantly associated with some internal organs, something like the image below. So expecting some kind of health feature, a glucose monitor? Also the blue has kinda half filled liquid in it, level of glucose?

• Reply 16 of 112
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    doctwelve said:
    Really? You didn't think it was innovative? :wink: 

Would love to be knocked off my ass on Sep 20 instead of bored off. Would love that tingle you used to get with Steve's "one more thing" that was truly unexpected. I guess those days are gone. 
    I guess you’ll just have to tingle yourself now. 
    randominternetpersoncornchipAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 112
    Instantly associated with some internal organs, something like the image below. So expecting some kind of health feature, a glucose monitor? Also the blue has kinda half filled liquid in it, level of glucose?

An accurate, non-invasive constant monitoring glucose reader would be a game changer for many people.
    muthuk_vanalingammwhitenapoleon_phoneapartargonaut
  • Reply 18 of 112
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    We have discussed this in another piece, and this is discussed in the video embedded in this one. For what it's worth, we had an inkling of a Series 4 last year, with the new sizes, and a Series 3 the year before that. The only thing we've got this year is new materials. https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/08/23/what-to-expect-at-apples-september-event---and-what-not-to
    GeorgeBMaclolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 112
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member

That would be great and I hope you’re right, but I thought that tech was still a few years away, according to most reports. I don’t know which would be more impressive...Apple finally finding a solution to the “holy grail”, or being able to do so without any leaks coming out. 
    In think the colors most likely refer to the iPhone 11 (the XR successor) though. The green and lavender stood out to me. And the innovation probably refers to the new shatter-proof casing and screen along with the rumored matte finish. Just my opinion. 
    edited August 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 112
    Cain’t wait to order a new Watch!
    lolliver9secondkox2watto_cobra