Apple's 'By Innovation Only' new iPhone event is on Sept. 10

Comments

• Reply 41 of 112
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    I also can’t see me buying a new phone this year. I bought the XS Max last year when the screen on my iPhone 6 died late August. I had been saving money every month after paying off the 6 and had most of the price of the Max already. I haven’t started doing that yet for whatever phone I buy next. And at over $1000 I can’t see me doing it for a couple of years at the earliest. 
    You say that like it's unusual. Normal people don't upgrade their phones every single year unless they're phone nerds, enthusiasts, etc.  Iterative improvement is the name of the game here, so even for enthusiasts there's no longer the dramatic differences as the low hanging fruit has been collected. Maturing products don't require as frequent replacement. After years of phone nerd annual upgrades, I held onto my X for a second year as well. Shrug.
    lolliverfastasleepnetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 112
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member

spice-boy said:
    Innovation as in the exact same body and design but tons of more gestures (re)learn. When a company is no longer willing or able to take risk it soon become irrelevant. 
    Ah look we found one in the first five comments! If the shell doesn't change, that means nothing else has! >groan<

The logical conclusion of the argument these people make is that the shell design must change to represent innovation and risk. Which leads us to the....triangle phone argument. Yeah no, change-for-change's sake ain't Apple's game, because that doesn't deliver real value. 

Beat me to it.

What's hypocritical is that 100% of androids spanning 3,000+ models and 1,000+ companies can ALL release the same iPhone shell and not a whisper.

"BuT Apple Needs to release a new design every yearr or they aren't innovative anymore!! Time to buy a Huawei with THE SAME EXACT iPHone design instEad!"

I also can’t see me buying a new phone this year. I bought the XS Max last year when the screen on my iPhone 6 died late August. I had been saving money every month after paying off the 6 and had most of the price of the Max already. I haven’t started doing that yet for whatever phone I buy next. And at over $1000 I can’t see me doing it for a couple of years at the earliest. 

iPhone XR is way under $1000 and is literally the latest iPhone available and has been at that price since launch. You know this.

Also your XS Max isn't suddenly going to die on September 10th. You're gonna get software updates for another 4 years.

Like they say in basketball "another brick!" (that was harsh but the "Apple is too expensive" meme is heard every year and it gets old)

shogun said:
    Somewhere there was a rumor that the iPhones would have a shimmery color-shifting Apple logo, and that at least one of the body colors would also color shift. The investor in me hoped the logo would signify the use of Liquidmetal (finally!), as embedding holograms into the metal was one of the cool things about lqmt and its injection molding process. All of which brings me back to the invitation image of the Apple. Those shades could certainly suggest a color-shifting hologrammatic logo among other things like AR and the Spektral leak that recently emerged.

I wouldn't mind an iPhone with a soft glow on the Apple logo like the older MacBooks which illuminates in dark places and night time. The thing is, Apple seems to wanna keep their products low profile. Maybe an option in settings? If the iPhone uses the displays natural light it will have a soft glow and use little battery.
    edited August 2019 napoleon_phoneapartStrangeDayslollivernetmagewatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 43 of 112
    lkrupp said:
    Here’s to hoping the “innovation” part of the invitation surprises us. Although, as has been pointed out by others, if the overall look of the phone doesn’t change drastically there will be howls of outrage and disappointment and lack of innovation. Brace yourselves...
    Yup. It's the same story with these bozos every year -- if the look of the shell doesn't change, they cannot comprehend technical innovation under the hood. How they reconcile that with the fact that software itself has no physical shell and is always changing and innovating, is a great mystery. 
    Bozos is right. Just look at this thread. The resident bozos have pre-condemned, pre-failed, pre-disappointed, and ridiculed the title of the invitation. And then comes the smarmy hatred of Tim Cook. These bozos are beyond the pale negative assholes who attack and demean anything, and probably not just Apple either.

Oh right! The title is stupid so Apples event already failed. /s

Gotta love the passive aggressive sarcasm. "Apple can innovate? What a weird title for them". lol
    lollivernetmage
  • Reply 44 of 112
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    vahancouver said: 
    Ah, the new Apple Watch can be swallowed to perform an analysis of your internal organs, as well as your microbiome, as it passes through your system.
    edited August 2019 watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 45 of 112
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    StrangeDays said:
    Yup. It's the same story with these bozos every year -- if the look of the shell doesn't change, they cannot comprehend technical innovation under the hood. How they reconcile that with the fact that software itself has no physical shell and is always changing and innovating, is a great mystery. 
    Heh, yeah... I actually dread shell changes at this point (unless, they go back to the iPhone SE case).

AppleExposed said:
    Looks like the Watch team does a better job at keeping leaks sealed so anything is possible.
    Or, it's more like the 'security through obscurity' thing.

lkrupp said:
    Bozos is right. Just look at this thread. The resident bozos have pre-condemned, pre-failed, pre-disappointed, and ridiculed the title of the invitation. And then comes the smarmy hatred of Tim Cook. These bozos are beyond the pale negative assholes who attack and demean anything, and probably not just Apple either.
    Or, Apple earned that reputation the last decade or so... with outrageously lame and silly keynotes?
    There have always been stuff like this around Apple forums, but it was usually the odd troll, not a huge percentage, even majority.

I'm kind of mixed on Apple these days, but I think they earned this reaction.
    edited August 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 46 of 112

spice-boy said:
    Innovation as in the exact same body and design but tons of more gestures (re)learn. When a company is no longer willing or able to take risk it soon become irrelevant. 
    Ah look we found one in the first five comments! If the shell doesn't change, that means nothing else has! >groan<

The logical conclusion of the argument these people make is that the shell design must change to represent innovation and risk, which leads us to the....Triangle Phone argument. Yeah no, change-for-change's sake ain't Apple's game, because that doesn't deliver real value. 
    But Apple sees these complaints as well. Change the form factor, add different color options, make a thicker phone and put in a bigger battery, whatever. If necessary give it a different name and add $100.00 to the cost of the “standard “ phone, which has everything the super iPhone has except the color/battery. 
  • Reply 47 of 112
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    avon b7 said:
    Instantly associated with some internal organs, something like the image below. So expecting some kind of health feature, a glucose monitor? Also the blue has kinda half filled liquid in it, level of glucose?

An accurate, non-invasive constant monitoring glucose reader would be a game changer for many people.
    An accurate glucose meter would be a guaranteed buy on my part (barring a multi thousand dollar price tag) but I don’t think so. I’ve taken part of too many studies and know that the time between developing, testing, and getting approval is measured in years. And for a random study you need a decent amount of people and trying to keep a lot of people quiet about something like this would probably be impossible. 
    I'm in the same situation as you. If it ever gets to market I'll be first in line.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 48 of 112
    All I care about is a new iPhone SE 2. Everything else will be garbage. 
    cgWerks
  • Reply 49 of 112
    You say that like it's unusual. Normal people don't upgrade their phones every single year unless they're phone nerds, enthusiasts, etc.  Iterative improvement is the name of the game here, so even for enthusiasts there's no longer the dramatic differences as the low hanging fruit has been collected. Maturing products don't require as frequent replacement. After years of phone nerd annual upgrades, I held onto my X for a second year as well. Shrug.
    My first iPhone was the 4s. My next iPhone was the 6. My third is the Max. Had my screen not glitched last year about this time I would not have gotten a new phone then. 

I’m sure that there are people who keep phones longer. With Apple moving from 32 to 64 bit and Apps no longer updating I don’t know what that did to iPhones 3-5, including the off year models. But if they still work I know that there are people who still use them. 
    netmageargonaut
  • Reply 50 of 112
    iteration innovation yes!  sept is my fav month come on Tim C!

watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 112
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Can I be innovative and think outside the box without getting sh** on? Ok thanks.

I'd love to see some surprises:

1. An Apple TV with A13x , screw it it's almost September, an A14 chip capable of PS4 Pro graphics.
    Updated Siri remote with M processor for fitness gaming.
    FaceID type camera system for AR etc.

2, An all new AirPower renamed AirPad which runs cooler.
    Has an internal battery and a detachable cord so you can charge truly wirelessly and take it anywhere.
    Toss in an A8 chip that Apple seems to have many of still. Use the processor for reasons we can't imagine yet.

3. A soundbar with wide array sound like HomePod.
    Sexiest looking soundbar ever.
    The most advanced room  analyzer in the market(like HomePod).
    Capable of 3.1 sound (Left, Right, Center, Sub optional). This way Homepods can pair as rear speakers.
    How does SoundPod sound?

4. Airpods 2. (Not Airpods 1.2 that we got earlier.)
    Health features.
    Longer battery life.
    Wireless charging built into Airpods also.
    Find my airpods with pinging.
    Space Gray.

5. Homepod 2
    and Homepod Nano, the portable version.

6. Apples new tracking device/chip which will be embedded in ALL new devices which can calculate the position of an item within inches. No more lost Airpods. All devices can lock, ping and send messages including AirPods!
    Imagine someone stealing your AirPods only to hear the hottest single of the week say "These airpods have been locked by the owner".
    New tracking chip can be purchased separately for tracking personal belongings. Nevermind, this technology can get smaller and scarier really fast.

All I can think of for now.
    I like your ideas, but...
    What if we combine #1 and #3? The SoundPod with integrated Apple TV complete with FaceTime/FaceID and the triumphant return of AirPort. It could act as either the base or a satellite in a mesh setup. And add AirPort to the HomePods as well. I have a pretty strong feeling (or maybe it’s just hope) that they eventually bring it back. 
    Also, since we’re dreaming, I’d like to see them introduce an accessories market for the Apple TV. A FaceTime camera add-on, first party game controller(s), an upgraded universal remote, etc. Honestly though, your ideas probably have a better chance than mine at seeing the light of day. 
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 112
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I suspect that you guys have missed the hidden message.   It is obvious that Apple is going into the hamburg business.   One can easily see the cheese, lettuce and meat on that bun.  

On another note I'm more interested in iPads but they are likely to come next month if previous patterns hold.  I’m actually hoping for a major upgrade.  
    razorpitcgWerks
  • Reply 53 of 112
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Yep! Still have my SE and will continue to use it for as long as Apple continues to support it (and maybe for a while after).
    edited August 2019 cgWerks
  • Reply 54 of 112
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    I always enjoy Apple Events. Some much more than others, but all, always. I truly don't understand how people can expect Apple to hit home runs every single event, whatever the platform or service. Even if Apple didn't offer something that attracted my wallet, I've never been disappointed or underwhelmed.

The iPhone is a very mature product. It's going to be difficult to add a feature that isn't an iteration or bump from the previous model.

We don't see the same expectations made of Samsung. And Sammie doesn't get near the bashing from Apple fans as the other way 'round.

I'd like to see a new Apple Watch, and I think that'll happen. I don't expect much because without new battery tech, I don't see what could be done that would really excite me. But it's a an S4 or S5 for me, so it won't take a lot to get me in for the latest and greatest.

The only thing I can think of that would surprise and open my wallet would be a new SE. That would be great. I suspect at some point well see a phone size between the SE and 6. I'd be ok with that, but it's not an SE 2.
    lollivernetmageargonaut
  • Reply 55 of 112
    Japhey said:
    Can I be innovative and think outside the box without getting sh** on? Ok thanks.

1. An Apple TV with A13x , screw it it's almost September, an A14 chip capable of PS4 Pro graphics.

Has an internal battery and a detachable cord so you can charge truly wirelessly and take it anywhere.
    Toss in an A8 chip that Apple seems to have many of still. Use the processor for reasons we can't imagine yet.

Capable of 3.1 sound (Left, Right, Center, Sub optional). This way Homepods can pair as rear speakers.
    How does SoundPod sound?

Health features.
    Longer battery life.
    Space Gray.

5. Homepod 2

6. Apples new tracking device/chip which will be embedded in ALL new devices which can calculate the position of an item within inches. No more lost Airpods. All devices can lock, ping and send messages including AirPods!
    Imagine someone stealing your AirPods only to hear the hottest single of the week say "These airpods have been locked by the owner".
    New tracking chip can be purchased separately for tracking personal belongings. Nevermind, this technology can get smaller and scarier really fast.

I like your ideas, but...
    What if we combine #1 and #3? The SoundPod with integrated Apple TV complete with FaceTime/FaceID and the triumphant return of AirPort. It could act as either the base or a satellite in a mesh setup. And add AirPort to the HomePods as well. I have a pretty strong feeling (or maybe it’s just hope) that they eventually bring it back. 
    Also, since we’re dreaming, I’d like to see them introduce an accessories market for the Apple TV. A FaceTime camera add-on, first party game controller(s), an upgraded universal remote, etc. Honestly though, your ideas probably have a better chance than mine at seeing the light of day. 

I thought about combining Apple TV with SoundPod BUT I believe that was your idea from an older thread? I don't like stealing ideas lol. The only problem I see here is Apple wanting customers to purchase Apple TV ALONG with a separate soundbar. I think having the FaceID cameras on them spread widely would create some great Kinect-like/AR experiences. Imagine doing yoga on an App and the teacher onscreen warns you about bad form? Revolutionary! Party games would be fun as heck. Imagine the kids having to interact on certain mini games! Then we have FaceTime TV, Animoji Karaoke and all kinds of possibilities.

Good ideas on your behalf too! Unfortunately we're dreaming but I still have hope they'll surprise us with a working updated AirPower.
    Japhey
  • Reply 56 of 112

How does SoundPod sound?

Health features.
    Longer battery life.
    Space Gray.

5. Homepod 2

There are some issues in those points. I'm not shitting on you, just commenting.

If you had a cord on a wireless charger with a battery in it, it would be a waste of energy to charge wirelessly instead of using the cord. Detaching the cord to charge wirelessly would save you plugging the cable in but also be far slower. 

Using HomePods as rear speakers would be a case of wasting good money to hear rear channels and largely defeat the reasons for using them in the first place as most rear speakers sit near walls.

Seeing as AirPods are already a kind of wireless charging, adding a second charging capacity wouldn't make much sense on a device that is cramped for space already.

Colours other than white and a silicone option for more secure placement would be nice, though
    chemengin1
  • Reply 57 of 112
    Unless there is something dramatically new in either health or payments, I am fully expecting a keynote somewhere in the spectrum between ‘meh’ and ‘blah.’
    edited August 2019 chemengin1
  • Reply 58 of 112
    Here’s to hoping the “innovation” part of the invitation surprises us. Although, as has been pointed out by others, if the overall look of the phone doesn’t change drastically there will be howls of outrage and disappointment and lack of innovation. Brace yourselves...
    What “technical innovations under the hood” are you expecting? Please elucidate. 
    chemengin1
  • Reply 59 of 112
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    cpsro said:
    vahancouver said: 
    Ah, the new Apple Watch can be swallowed to perform an analysis of your internal organs, as well as your microbiome, as it passes through your system.
    You might be on to something there. Perhaps a small, stainless steel bolus that transmits data on gut condition, core body temp etc to your iPhone?

edit: and incidentally let’s teh authoritays always know exactly where you are!
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 60 of 112
    Sometimes things are too far under the hood.

What has been selling phones for the last few years are the in your face things. Battery charging, camera versatility, shell design (yes, believe it or not), price, expandable storage, dual SIM etc. 

You may extoll the virtues of a screen or a processor for example but that's it. The end user won't really notice a difference in screen or processor but when your camera zooms to two times and doesn't go any further, when you have to charge nightly and hope you aren't caught short the next day, when you can't add storage to the phone etc people notice those things immediately.

Then there's the price, which is the first thing people look at. Then they compare. And that's where that gradient finish, x3 or x5 zoom, fast charging, third camera etc start to pick up points.

You can still tell them the processor is better, the screen is better etc but they aren't going to see it. And if the phone is the XR the sale gets harder.
    chemengin1cgWerks