Apple's 'By Innovation Only' new iPhone event is on Sept. 10

Comments

• Reply 61 of 112
    spice-boy said:
    Innovation as in the exact same body and design but tons of more gestures (re)learn. When a company is no longer willing or able to take risk it soon become irrelevant. 
    So you are saying Apple is doomed. Well, that didn't take long.
    StrangeDayslollivernetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 112
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    spice-boy said:
    Innovation as in the exact same body and design but tons of more gestures (re)learn. When a company is no longer willing or able to take risk it soon become irrelevant. 
    So you are saying Apple is doomed. Well, that didn't take long.
    Beleaguered
  • Reply 63 of 112
    Truth to tell, I will either be pleasantly surprised at all the wonderful innovation, or otherwise I will expect to have “the entertainment” of seeing Phil Schiller dropping his pants and bending over for an asspology.
    boogerman2000argonaut
  • Reply 64 of 112
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    ARM-based MacBooks will be announced on September 10. Perhaps even a hybrid MacPad device. 
  • Reply 65 of 112
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    What's coming on June 10 is a new Apple Diet. It's an amazingly innovative weight-loss program. All you do is buy all new Apple's gear at the new prides and you start losing weight immediately because you have no money left for food. 
  • Reply 66 of 112
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    kestral said:
    Hopefully it's real innovation and not "can't innovate any more my ass" innovation.
    Can you give an example of something that would constitute 'real' innovation?
    StrangeDaysAppleExposedlollivernetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 112
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    McJobs said:
    Another Apple event that will be ruined by Tim Cook's fake excitement.
    Yeah, not a fan of TC's intro's. Any sentence that contains the word 'excited' should be struck out.
  • Reply 68 of 112
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    entropys said:
    Truth to tell, I will either be pleasantly surprised at all the wonderful innovation, or otherwise I will expect to have “the entertainment” of seeing Phil Schiller dropping his pants and bending over for an asspology.
    Pray tell what kind of innovation would you be pleasantly surprised at?

Batter battery life
    Better Camera
    More features

None of that is innovation. Changing the shell or bezels is not innovation. Everything mentioned by people here is iterative, not innovative. I can’t think of a single tech company that is innovating. Google, Samsung, Huawei, LG, et al are just spinning their wheels trying to copy each other. A folding phone that doesn’t work is innovation? A knock-off of another company’s design is innovation? The term “innovation” is thrown around a lot these days and I doubt those spewing it even know what it means.
    AppleExposedxp17netmagewatto_cobraargonautcgWerks
  • Reply 69 of 112

sirozha said:
    What's coming on June 10 is a new Apple Diet. It's an amazingly innovative weight-loss program. All you do is buy all new Apple's gear at the new prides and you start losing weight immediately because you have no money left for food. 
    So what’s keeping you from buying cheaper tech? Who’s forcing you to pay higher prices for Apple gear when you can get something “just as good” for a third the price as is claimed by the bozo crowd here?
    StrangeDayslollivernapoleon_phoneapartnetmagewatto_cobramacxpressargonaut
  • Reply 70 of 112

sirozha said:
    ARM-based MacBooks will be announced on September 10. Perhaps even a hybrid MacPad device. 
    Not even close and sarcastic to boot.
  • Reply 71 of 112
    Chill, Lkrupp. All will be revealed in les than a fortnight.
    As for what I would be pleasantly surprised at, well then it wouldn’t be a surprise, would it?
    Anyway, I really don’t want to see the courage of an asspology from Phil Schiller.
    edited August 2019 chemengin1
  • Reply 72 of 112
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    avon b7 said:
    Can I be innovative and think outside the box without getting sh** on? Ok thanks.

I'd love to see some surprises:

1. An Apple TV with A13x , screw it it's almost September, an A14 chip capable of PS4 Pro graphics.
    Updated Siri remote with M processor for fitness gaming.
    FaceID type camera system for AR etc.

2, An all new AirPower renamed AirPad which runs cooler.
    Has an internal battery and a detachable cord so you can charge truly wirelessly and take it anywhere.
    Toss in an A8 chip that Apple seems to have many of still. Use the processor for reasons we can't imagine yet.

3. A soundbar with wide array sound like HomePod.
    Sexiest looking soundbar ever.
    The most advanced room  analyzer in the market(like HomePod).
    Capable of 3.1 sound (Left, Right, Center, Sub optional). This way Homepods can pair as rear speakers.
    How does SoundPod sound?

4. Airpods 2. (Not Airpods 1.2 that we got earlier.)
    Health features.
    Longer battery life.
    Wireless charging built into Airpods also.
    Find my airpods with pinging.
    Space Gray.

5. Homepod 2
    and Homepod Nano, the portable version.

6. Apples new tracking device/chip which will be embedded in ALL new devices which can calculate the position of an item within inches. No more lost Airpods. All devices can lock, ping and send messages including AirPods!
    Imagine someone stealing your AirPods only to hear the hottest single of the week say "These airpods have been locked by the owner".
    New tracking chip can be purchased separately for tracking personal belongings. Nevermind, this technology can get smaller and scarier really fast.

All I can think of for now.
    There are some issues in those points. I'm not shitting on you, just commenting.

If you had a cord on a wireless charger with a battery in it, it would be a waste of energy to charge wirelessly instead of using the cord. Detaching the cord to charge wirelessly would save you plugging the cable in but also be far slower. 

Using HomePods as rear speakers would be a case of wasting good money to hear rear channels and largely defeat the reasons for using them in the first place as most rear speakers sit near walls.

Seeing as AirPods are already a kind of wireless charging, adding a second charging capacity wouldn't make much sense on a device that is cramped for space already.

Colours other than white and a silicone option for more secure placement would be nice, though

This is a decent reply so here's my response:

"If you had a cord on a wireless charger with a battery in it, it would be a waste of energy to charge wirelessly instead of using the cord. Detaching the cord to charge wirelessly would save you plugging the cable in but also be far slower."

I don't think you're seeing the future here. This technology can replace the old style battery bricks people carry in their backpack. This market has already been proven successful. Apple could just take it to the future as they usually do. Whether the charge is slower would be irrelevant when cancelled out with convenience.

Say you're a college student in class. Do you really think it's a much better solution that you're iPhone/Watch/Whatever is dies during class and you have to go back home to charge it or would you rather pull out your AirPower and charge on the desk? Works anywhere. Plus it's optional. Apple won't force you to carry it with you. You can leave it at home on a counter if you'd like.

"
    Using HomePods as rear speakers would be a case of wasting good money to hear rear channels and largely defeat the reasons for using them in the first place as most rear speakers sit near walls."

So? HomePods detect walls and have great immersive sound. I believe this could take home theater to another level.

"
    Seeing as AirPods are already a kind of wireless charging, adding a second charging capacity wouldn't make much sense on a device that is cramped for space already."

The AirPods case has wireless charging not the Airpods themselves. Again it would be optional and Apple wouldn't force you to throw the case away or block the cases charging capabilities. I see this as yet another convenience feature. Slap the airpods on the charger and come back in 5 minutes.

Yes they're cramped but that has never stopped Apple from adding more. Remember the original iPod has become todays iPhone.

"
    Colours other than white and a silicone option for more secure placement would be nice, though"

Apparently there's a small population who can't wear them for this reason. I'm sure a solution is on the way. I'd like some sort of foam material that gently expands to the shape of your ear canal. Like earplugs but softer.

• Reply 73 of 112
    Unless there is something dramatically new in either health or payments, I am fully expecting a keynote somewhere in the spectrum between ‘meh’ and ‘blah.’
    Here’s to hoping the “innovation” part of the invitation surprises us. Although, as has been pointed out by others, if the overall look of the phone doesn’t change drastically there will be howls of outrage and disappointment and lack of innovation. Brace yourselves...
    Yup. It's the same story with these bozos every year -- if the look of the shell doesn't change, they cannot comprehend technical innovation under the hood. How they reconcile that with the fact that software itself has no physical shell and is always changing and innovating, is a great mystery. 
    What “technical innovations under the hood” are you expecting? Please elucidate. 

Wow ECG was announced just last year. Some people are never happy.
    lollivernetmagewatto_cobrabeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 74 of 112
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Japhey said:
    Can I be innovative and think outside the box without getting sh** on? Ok thanks.

1. An Apple TV with A13x , screw it it's almost September, an A14 chip capable of PS4 Pro graphics.

Has an internal battery and a detachable cord so you can charge truly wirelessly and take it anywhere.
    Toss in an A8 chip that Apple seems to have many of still. Use the processor for reasons we can't imagine yet.

Capable of 3.1 sound (Left, Right, Center, Sub optional). This way Homepods can pair as rear speakers.
    How does SoundPod sound?

Health features.
    Longer battery life.
    Space Gray.

5. Homepod 2

6. Apples new tracking device/chip which will be embedded in ALL new devices which can calculate the position of an item within inches. No more lost Airpods. All devices can lock, ping and send messages including AirPods!
    Imagine someone stealing your AirPods only to hear the hottest single of the week say "These airpods have been locked by the owner".
    New tracking chip can be purchased separately for tracking personal belongings. Nevermind, this technology can get smaller and scarier really fast.

I like your ideas, but...
    What if we combine #1 and #3? The SoundPod with integrated Apple TV complete with FaceTime/FaceID and the triumphant return of AirPort. It could act as either the base or a satellite in a mesh setup. And add AirPort to the HomePods as well. I have a pretty strong feeling (or maybe it’s just hope) that they eventually bring it back. 
    Also, since we’re dreaming, I’d like to see them introduce an accessories market for the Apple TV. A FaceTime camera add-on, first party game controller(s), an upgraded universal remote, etc. Honestly though, your ideas probably have a better chance than mine at seeing the light of day. 

With their push into video content, I can definitely see Apple releasing a companion hardware device in the form of a “sound bar” and expanding either the AppleTV or HomePod products; AppleTV “Theater” or HomePod “Theater”.

I’d lean more towards a HomePod “Theater” than it being a new Apple TV device. Mainly because Apple tends to like to keep things “simple”.

However, given the fact that sound bars are supposed stay in one place -in front of a TV- making it an Apple TV device would make a lot of sense. And an AppleTV with speakers (and a built-in mic) would give “Hey Siri” another point of access.
    Japheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 75 of 112
    paxman said:
    kestral said:
    Hopefully it's real innovation and not "can't innovate any more my ass" innovation.
    Can you give an example of something that would constitute 'real' innovation?

I guess new tech and a change in shell design wasn't innovative enough?

Ha but these are the same people who claim if Apple doesn't change the shell they aren't innovating.

lkrupp said:
    entropys said:
    Pray tell what kind of innovation would you be pleasantly surprised at?

Batter battery life
    Better Camera
    More features

None of that is innovation. Changing the shell or bezels is not innovation. Everything mentioned by people here is iterative, not innovative. I can’t think of a single tech company that is innovating. Google, Samsung, Huawei, LG, et al are just spinning their wheels trying to copy each other. A folding phone that doesn’t work is innovation? A knock-off of another company’s design is innovation? The term “innovation” is thrown around a lot these days and I doubt those spewing it even know what it means.

I can't tell you how many times iKnockoff Knights claim things like faster processors, battery life and cameras are "innovative" while ignoring the fact that android has been a stale knockoff of Apple work since 2008.

I've also read an idiot say "Wow a new rectangle!" mocking Apple for releasing an iPhone-designed iPhone while meanwhile dismissing the 100% of androids who use THE EXACT SAME iPhone design.
    lolliverwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 76 of 112
    by INNOVATION only. Bold. Hopefully it's worthy of that title.

But dang.. just let that nasty rainbow logo die. this isn't some children's coloring book or political activist flag. It's tech. Keep it clean, cool, and minimal. 

The glass look reminds me of the original OS X gel style buttons. 

I bet it has to do with camera lenses and prismatic color. 
    edited August 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 77 of 112
    xp17xp17 Posts: 15member
    Why do you hate Apple so much? I can't stand talking foolishness about lack of innovation.
    AppleExposednetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 78 of 112
    This article should be amended to include the likelihood that a new set of WATCH Series 5 models will also be introduced at this event. New faster processor, longer lasting battery, New titanium and ceramic enclosures.
    No, it shouldn't, since that is just a rumor and any Watch refresh is just as likely to be introduced at a separate event in October. Which has already been covered well by this site.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 79 of 112
    mjtomlin said:
    Japhey said:

How does SoundPod sound?

Health features.
    Longer battery life.
    Space Gray.

5. Homepod 2

I like your ideas, but...
    What if we combine #1 and #3? The SoundPod with integrated Apple TV complete with FaceTime/FaceID and the triumphant return of AirPort. It could act as either the base or a satellite in a mesh setup. And add AirPort to the HomePods as well. I have a pretty strong feeling (or maybe it’s just hope) that they eventually bring it back. 
    Also, since we’re dreaming, I’d like to see them introduce an accessories market for the Apple TV. A FaceTime camera add-on, first party game controller(s), an upgraded universal remote, etc. Honestly though, your ideas probably have a better chance than mine at seeing the light of day. 

With their push into video content, I can definitely see Apple releasing a companion hardware device in the form of a “sound bar” and expanding either the AppleTV or HomePod products; AppleTV “Theater” or HomePod “Theater”.

I’d lean more towards a HomePod “Theater” than it being a new Apple TV device. Mainly because Apple tends to like to keep things “simple”.

However, given the fact that sound bars are supposed stay in one place -in front of a TV- making it an Apple TV device would make a lot of sense. And an AppleTV with speakers (and a built-in mic) would give “Hey Siri” another point of access.

With most iTunes movies supporting 4K, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos and Apple TV being one of the only devices in the world to support BOTH, Apple is really leaving a huge market on the table.

This is also why I suggested 100% of Apple TV+ content be shot in 4K Dolby Vision. It's all original modern day content to be streamed through compatible hardware so no excuse not to.

Apple offering an Atmos sound system would provide a cinema like experience. Ah, that's another thing the soundbar could include: Dolby Atmos. With Apples room detection tech this is possible now more than ever since Atmos speakers shoot sound onto the ceiling.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 80 of 112
    Looking forward to the announcement of the $2095 iPhone EXS.
    anantksundaram