Pixar poster signed by Steve Jobs sells for $31,250 at auction

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2020
A poster for Pixar Animation Studios' 1995 film 'Toy Story' signed by late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs has gone on sale, with an auction for the 'incredibly scarce' artifact raising $31,250 after bidding closed on Thursday evening.

Measuring 24 inches-by-36 inches, the poster features the main characters Woody and Buzz, voiced by Tom Hanks and Tim Allen in the groundbreaking computer-animated work. The poster's highlight feature is the inclusion of Steve Jobs' signature just above the Pixar logo, towards the bottom of the poster, signed by the luminary in 1995.

According to R.R. Auctions, the venue for the sale of the poster, this is the second time a poster signed by Jobs has gone on sale. The first, a Networld Expo poster from 1992, was sold in 2017 for $19,640.

Jobs was a backer of Pixar, helping develop the studios which started as a branch of Lucasfilm. A co-founder of the company, Jobs poured millions of dollars of his own money into the firm, and worked as its chairman and later the CEO.

The Apple CEO earned an estimated $4 billion from the purchase of Pixar by Disney in 2006. Due to having close to a 50% personal stake in Pixar, he became Disney's largest individual shareholder, and had a seat at its board of directors.

Jobs continues to be an influence at Pixar, prompting the studio to rename its main campus office building in his honor.

Earlier auctions for items featuring Jobs' signature include a newspaper clipping that sold for $27,000, a first-issue of Macworld for over $47,000, and a job application for over $174,000. The high price is partially linked to the reluctance of Jobs to hand out his signature, with there believed to be fewer than 10 autographed items in existence.
cornchip

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I wonder what Eric Schmidt’s autograph is worth. For @gatorguy I’m sure it’s priceless.
    mjtomlincornchipAppleExposed
  • Reply 2 of 10
     The high price is partially linked to the reluctance of Jobs to hand out his signature, with there believed to be fewer than 10 autographed items in existence.
    That's hard to believe.  But it helps explain why these items have been selling for so much.  
    cornchip
  • Reply 3 of 10
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member

*me* “Hey honey? Do you remember where I put that old OSX Tiger box that was signed by Steve Jobs?”
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I love that he signed his name in all lower case (”steve jobs”)...complete with dot over the ‘j.’
    randominternetpersoncornchip
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I’ve never understood why people spend money for a signature...

When you buy a painting, it’s signed by the artist to authenticate the painting.  

Someone paid $31K for an authenticated poster...

The “Cult of Steve Jobs” lives!

gatorguyAppleExposedbigtds
  • Reply 6 of 10

When you buy a painting, it’s signed by the artist to authenticate the painting.  

I totally get it. Signatures, and handwriting in general, can be very a very powerful, human reminder of the person who made it. After my mother suddenly passed away years ago, every time I would try to go through her personal effects I would come across something handwritten and it would just cause me to start crying. It surprised me because I did not realize something as simple as a mundane item in her own handwriting would be powerful enough to cause that.
    randominternetpersontenchi211viclauyycurahara
  • Reply 7 of 10
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Pretty cheap. I'd think it would go for more. You have one of the most iconic company posters on arguably the most iconic cartoon feature film signed by an icon. I'd think it would go for 500 grand.

Riiiight... Steve Jobs is a nobody! How much is your signature worth?

lkrupp said:
    I wonder what Eric Schmidt’s autograph is worth. For @gatorguy I’m sure it’s priceless.

I find it funny how iKnockoff Knights criticize Steve Jobs and Tim Cook to death but cannot name any CEOs who run their copy-cat companies because they aren't icons nor important people.

Ask a Sammy fanboy who the CEO is. He wouldn't even care lol.
    lkruppcornchip
  • Reply 8 of 10
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,334member
    It's long fascinated me how signatures by rich and famous people are quite literally the Midas Touch.  Ink on paper costing $1 now becomes gold worth $30k.  And while we Apple fans all have the highest respect for Mr. Jobs (RIP), it nevertheless really does make you sit back and ponder.  Especially so when my Mac 512k has a large number of signatures inside.  Just goes to show the Midas Touch cannot be mass produced.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 429member
    $31K ... that's better than a poke in the eye with a burnt stick !