html / code doesnt render in messages?

zozo
Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
I looked through my settings and seems all is in place... is it normal that when looking through messages that most cose is just code and doesnt render?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I actually just touched on this in another thread here...

Quote:

Actually, I had left HTML enabled on purpose to ease the transition to vBulletin. As you may now have noticed, older threads that used the QUOTE and URL and IMG and other UBB tags didn't exactly weather the import very well. The import mechanism actually took the code and HTML-ified it. I was planning on leaving HTML display on for a couple weeks while those older threads and posts would drop away, but now that people know that it's enabled, it's time to shut it back off.

HTML has always been off in the past on AppleInsider. The reason you are seeing some HTML code pop up in some threads is because of the way vB imported the old UBB threads, as I mentioned above. Only old threads are affected by this "bug". New threads and new posts won't have weird HTML code popping up in them unless people are actually typing HTML into the body of their messages.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    ok, thanks... didnt have time to sift through other threads yet. Also, I had the impression some new threads were also affected. Guess I saw wrong.

zozo
  • Reply 3 of 5
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    although it would be nice to have some HTML tags in effect

specifically, the height and width tags to limit image size without the necessity to physically alter the image (which might reside on another site, but be inappropriately wide size)
  • Reply 4 of 5
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    If the image is too big screen-wise it's probably uncomfortably large in terms of file size, and rendering a thumbnail version is a Good Thing™.

We do have a lot of readers and members on dialup.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    true.

a standard (thumbnail) default size advisory would help many

the favicon thread and smiley threads helpfully push 16x16,

but i'd be content if everybody had clickable thumbs limited to 100x100,

and it might serve the bandwidth dilemna of the dialup diet

additionally,

at one i point i (erroneously in hindsight) linked from somethingawful,

who jonathan suggested "have messed with their servers to deter hotlinking by substituting extremely distasteful images instead of the pic you thought". he added that he ought to warn people in advance not to hotlink from them.

so is there a larger list of "don't link from these sites" that would help?

some guidelines might serve to save you folks some cleanup,

and come sekrit_motherboard time, might save some legal wrangles

just .02 worth of wondering