Legit request for a Linux disk image...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I own Virtual PC 4 and have been using Win 98. I am trying and trying to load linux onto a Virtual PC disk image. If anyone has a disk image file that they would send to me (I can get on an IM program for a direct send if it is big) I would greatly appreciate it.

To keep this from getting squashed, please make sure whatever version of Linux you load on there is a free one. Also, I DON'T want Virtual PC, just the hard drive image file from a free OS. I can't see how this would be breaking any rules.

If you have this, please email me a note with your screen name at [email protected]

If you know how to get this to work some other way, then feel free to post and let me know.

Thanks crew!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Whic Linux do you want? There are plenty of distros available to choose..
  • Reply 2 of 12
    One of the more popular would be great. (Red Hat, BSD, or Mandrake) [provided whichever is free]
  • Reply 3 of 12
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Aren't they all free?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

One of the more popular would be great. (Red Hat, BSD, or Mandrake) [provided whichever is free]

You know, all cd images are free to download, don't you? Redhat's mirrors. Why don't you just download them?

-t

ps - yes, Amorya beat me to it, but I provided a link.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I haven't done it in a while, but if you mount the image after you download it, you can select it in Virtual PC and install it like that. When it asks you for the next one you mount it, and from the CD icon in the bottom of the VPC window you can mount the image into VPC... Or something like that. Haven't done it in forever, sorry.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    The disk image may be in a format you cannot mount on Mac. If so, burn it on a PC. VPC should see physical disks just well. You will have to boot from the CD. Refer to VPC prefs to enable CD booting. IIRC, VPC should be the frontmost app when you insert the CD so that Mac OS doesn't have a chance to spit it back in your face.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    No no no. If you have VPC in a window you will see an image of a cd in the bottom left on the window, Part of the aqua border of the vpc app. Click that and select the image. It can be an ISO and it will just mount in VPC. If you need any help just PM me.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

The disk image may be in a format you cannot mount on Mac. If so, burn it on a PC. VPC should see physical disks just well. You will have to boot from the CD. Refer to VPC prefs to enable CD booting. IIRC, VPC should be the frontmost app when you insert the CD so that Mac OS doesn't have a chance to spit it back in your face.

Since when cant a mac mount an ISO image?

if your concerned about space you may want to download gentoo linux from www.gentoo.org. Its very small, about 50mb for the minium then you just download the packages that you want.

Oh,by the way, the easiest way is just to burn the ISO to a cd.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Screwit. I got it to work after banging on Red Hat 7.1 for about... 5 hours. Thanks though. (if in the future anybody needs to know how I did it... just ask)
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Oh,by the way, the easiest way is just to burn the ISO to a cd.

No once more its not. If you read what I said you can mount a disk image that is on the mac os filesystem though VPC it will treat it as a CD.. As would any mounted image. There is no need to burn it what so ever. Make VPC non-full screen then click the little cd icon in the bottom left... Then select the CD. Takes a matter of seconds.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

If your concerned about space you may want to download gentoo linux from www.gentoo.org. Its very small, about 50mb for the minium then you just download the packages that you want.

ROTFL. Dude, that's cruel. You know you have to compile any extra software you want installed on Gentoo. Can you imagine how long compiling software on a slow ppc emulating an even slower x86 would take?

Decades?!!!?!

You're twisted
  • Reply 12 of 12

HEHE forgot to mention you may also need a DSL connection