Apple's 'By Innovation Only' new iPhone event is on Sept. 10

Comments

• Reply 81 of 112
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    I see transparency. Perhaps we are going to see see-through colorful iPhones?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 82 of 112
    HolyonezHolyonez Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Time to start milking the consumers... World's First innovation...
  • Reply 83 of 112
    Unless there is something dramatically new in either health or payments, I am fully expecting a keynote somewhere in the spectrum between ‘meh’ and ‘blah.’
    Here’s to hoping the “innovation” part of the invitation surprises us. Although, as has been pointed out by others, if the overall look of the phone doesn’t change drastically there will be howls of outrage and disappointment and lack of innovation. Brace yourselves...
    Yup. It's the same story with these bozos every year -- if the look of the shell doesn't change, they cannot comprehend technical innovation under the hood. How they reconcile that with the fact that software itself has no physical shell and is always changing and innovating, is a great mystery. 
    What “technical innovations under the hood” are you expecting? Please elucidate. 

Wow ECG was announced just last year. Some people are never happy.
    Are we taking about last year or this year, in this thread? And did I say ‘new in health’?

C’mon, what a pointless response. If you cannot answer a question, why even bother?
    muthuk_vanalingamAppleExposed
  • Reply 84 of 112
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    kevin kee said:
    Maybe the new phones will look like those little transparent glass animals you can buy at knickknacks and tchotchkes stores for tourists?

But seriously, this feels like it would be an ideal point in the development of these phones for Apple to pull out all the stops and do something spectacular to get attention for them as a leading edge innovative company. Incremental improvements are always nice, but it’s time to make a leap ahead.
    edited August 2019 cgWerks
  • Reply 85 of 112
    Hoping they add a phone to their lineup of miniature tablets.
  • Reply 86 of 112
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    kevin kee said:
    Maybe the new phones will look like those little transparent glass animals you can buy at knickknacks and tchotchkes stores for tourists?

But seriously, this feels like it would be an ideal point in the development of these phones for Apple to pull out all the stops and do something spectacular to get attention for them as a leading edge innovative company. Incremental improvements are always nice, but it’s time to make a leap ahead.
    You mean like they did with the Watch and AirPods?

The iPhone is a mature product, and there is very little that can be added that is "spectacular", hence the incremental improvements. Of course, you might use your imagination to give us an idea of what an example of a "spectacular" addition to the iPhone might be.
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 87 of 112
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    tmay said:
    kevin kee said:

The iPhone is a mature product, and there is very little that can be added that is "spectacular", hence the incremental improvements. Of course, you might use your imagination to give us an idea of what an example of a "spectacular" addition to the iPhone might be.
    Vivo is going to launch a little stunner pretty soon. Perhaps in an attempt to steal a bit of Huawei thunder, they have already sent out some pre-production phones for first looks.

edited August 2019 muthuk_vanalingamargonaut
  • Reply 88 of 112
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Unless there is something dramatically new in either health or payments, I am fully expecting a keynote somewhere in the spectrum between ‘meh’ and ‘blah.’
    Here’s to hoping the “innovation” part of the invitation surprises us. Although, as has been pointed out by others, if the overall look of the phone doesn’t change drastically there will be howls of outrage and disappointment and lack of innovation. Brace yourselves...
    Yup. It's the same story with these bozos every year -- if the look of the shell doesn't change, they cannot comprehend technical innovation under the hood. How they reconcile that with the fact that software itself has no physical shell and is always changing and innovating, is a great mystery. 
    What “technical innovations under the hood” are you expecting? Please elucidate. 

Are we taking about last year or this year, in this thread? And did I say ‘new in health’?

C’mon, what a pointless response. If you cannot answer a question, why even bother?

Right because "this year" has already past...... "Pointless", how ironic.

"Unless there is something dramatically new in either health..."

ECG just announced last September Keynote. THIS keynote hasn't even passed.

"or payments,"

AppleCard announced earlier this year. Released days ago.

Apple could announce NOTHING in September and still do spectacular compared to the entire worlds industries (ALL industries including food, technology, manufacturing, health, finance etc.)

The expectations are unbelievable for Apple.

tmay said:
    kevin kee said:

But but but... we're talking about THIS year!!! (pre-keynote)

It's ridiculous how Apple needs to release ground breaking products yearly. Now people expect them to release ground breaking features pre-keynote. Ridiculous.

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    kevin kee said:

Vivo is going to launch a little stunner pretty soon. Perhaps in an attempt to steal a bit of Huawei thunder, they have already sent out some pre-production phones for first looks.

Can you stop spamming Apple articles with knockoff products?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 89 of 112

"or payments,"

Apple could announce NOTHING in September and still do spectacular compared to the entire worlds industries (ALL industries including food, technology, manufacturing, health, finance etc.)

tmay said:
    kevin kee said:

It's ridiculous how Apple needs to release ground breaking products yearly. Now people expect them to release ground breaking features pre-keynote. Ridiculous.

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    kevin kee said:

Would you prefer I simply 'described' something spectacular? Or would you prefer I dug out a Concept Creator video of an -  Apple - fantasy product?

No, you would prefer something real, right? From there you can run with whatever you like but for something spectacular, you don't have to imagine anything, just open your eyes and peek out of your Apple bubble. If you have a genuine interest in the mobile phone space, you should be able to appreciate it

On your future Apple phone...

Would you like a virtually buttonless design?
    Would you like a 120W charger?
    Would you like to fully charge your phone in less than 15 minutes?
    Would you like one of Samsung's latest image sensors (Isocell Bright GW1)?
    Would you like a 99+% screen to body ratio?
    Would you like the screen to literally cascade off the sides of the phone?

To be released 20.09.2019.

That is spectacular in my book and if Apple (or anyone else) reveals something along those lines you can bet I will call it spectacular too.

I suppose your usual retort has already been copied and is awaiting pasting: 'these are iKnockoffs copying Apple patents'.

muthuk_vanalingamargonaut
  • Reply 90 of 112
    lkrupp said:
    Bozos is right. Just look at this thread. The resident bozos have pre-condemned, pre-failed, pre-disappointed, and ridiculed the title of the invitation. And then comes the smarmy hatred of Tim Cook. These bozos are beyond the pale negative assholes who attack and demean anything, and probably not just Apple either.
    Count not agree more. This gets so old. I wish these people would flood over to Google where they would really have something to complain about.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 91 of 112
    taddtadd Posts: 136member
    avon b7 said:
    Instantly associated with some internal organs, something like the image below. So expecting some kind of health feature, a glucose monitor? Also the blue has kinda half filled liquid in it, level of glucose?

An accurate, non-invasive constant monitoring glucose reader would be a game changer for many people.
    An accurate glucose meter would be a guaranteed buy on my part (barring a multi thousand dollar price tag) but I don’t think so. I’ve taken part of too many studies and know that the time between developing, testing, and getting approval is measured in years. And for a random study you need a decent amount of people and trying to keep a lot of people quiet about something like this would probably be impossible. 
    The way Apple could get away with testing and approvals without leaks is to test it under a different corporate name.  They'd make something that was close enough to an Apple Watch hardware to keep the governments happy, but it won't appear to be a watch to the volunteer trial participant.  It'll appear to be a Glucose meter that gets worn on the wrist. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 92 of 112
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    avon b7 said:

"or payments,"

tmay said:
    kevin kee said:

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    kevin kee said:

Would you prefer I simply 'described' something spectacular? Or would you prefer I dug out a Concept Creator video of an -  Apple - fantasy product?

No, you would prefer something real, right? From there you can run with whatever you like but for something spectacular, you don't have to imagine anything, just open your eyes and peek out of your Apple bubble. If you have a genuine interest in the mobile phone space, you should be able to appreciate it

That is spectacular in my book and if Apple (or anyone else) reveals something along those lines you can bet I will call it spectacular too.

I suppose your usual retort has already been copied and is awaiting pasting: 'these are iKnockoffs copying Apple patents'.

There's absolutely NOTHING innovative about the crap you posted. ZERO. You just prove the point that iKnockoff Knights believe incremental improvements are "innovative" but then continue to use knockoff Apple products, hypocritically.

We already know why Apple isn't providing fast charging. It kills batteries. Apple actually innovates and doesn't care about being "first" to include a half-baked tech.

Again, stop spamming Apple articles with knockoff products.
    edited August 2019 watto_cobratht
  • Reply 93 of 112
    avon b7 said:

"or payments,"

tmay said:
    kevin kee said:

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    kevin kee said:

There's absolutely NOTHING innovative about the crap you posted. ZERO. You just prove the point that iKnockoff Knights believe incremental improvements are "innovative" but then continue to use knockoff Apple products, hypocritically.

We already know why Apple isn't providing fast charging. It kills batteries. Apple actually innovates and doesn't care about being "first" to include a half-baked tech.

The comment was 'spectacular' not 'innovative' and 'being first' is irrelevant.

Half baked? Fast charging is pretty well baked as a technology and doesn't kill batteries at all. Just look at years of fast charging with zero issues among the major players. The technology is baked and ready. Every time the envelope gets pushed (wattage increases) a risk gets introduced, which is logical, but the key is keeping voltage under control and excessive heat from building up. That's why there are safety gates, and chips every step of the way.

As for Apple not providing fast charging, actually it does - just not in your iPhone box and not as advanced as other implementations.

My guess that that will change with the upcoming refresh. 
    muthuk_vanalingamargonaut
  • Reply 94 of 112
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

"or payments,"

tmay said:
    kevin kee said:

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    kevin kee said:

Half baked? Fast charging is pretty well baked as a technology and doesn't kill batteries at all. Just look at years of fast charging with zero issues among the major players. The technology is baked and ready. Every time the envelope gets pushed (wattage increases) a risk gets introduced, which is logical, but the key is keeping voltage under control and excessive heat from building up. That's why there are safety gates, and chips every step of the way.

As for Apple not providing fast charging, actually it does - just not in your iPhone box and not as advanced as other implementations.

For the record, USB type C supports 20 Volt at 5 Amp, which is 100W, and as far as i know, there are no phone being charged at over 40W Max, and no, it isn't innovative to add fast charging. It's just another feature to the consumer.

Apple utilizing the iPhone's three cameras simultaneously while interleaving frames and processing the image/frame in the background, all with user adjustments for crop, bokeh, and lighting, because realtime is an innovation to the user, and heck, maybe that's just the video mode!

That's one innovation that I expect to see delivered for the iPhone. I'm sure there are others.

edited August 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 95 of 112
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

"or payments,"

tmay said:
    kevin kee said:

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    kevin kee said:

For the record, USB type C supports 20 Volt at 5 Amp, which is 100W, and as far as i know, there are no phone being charged at over 40W Max, and no, it isn't innovative to add fast charging. It's just another feature to the consumer.

Apple utilizing the iPhone's three cameras simultaneously while interleaving frames and processing the image/frame in the background, all with user adjustments for crop, bokeh, and lighting, because realtime is an innovation to the user, and heck, maybe that's just the video mode!

That's one innovation that I expect to see delivered for the iPhone. I'm sure there are others.

Oppo has 50W charging tech.

Taking information from multiple sensors to complete an image has been done for years, and in real time. Adding more lenses and complexity to the setup isn't innovation these days (a few years ago it was innovation but not now). It's a natural course to optimise the hardware on hand in line with the power available.

Although, I will repeat: the comment was on 'spectacular', not 'innovation'.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 96 of 112
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

"or payments,"

tmay said:
    kevin kee said:

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    kevin kee said:

Taking information from multiple sensors to complete an image has been done for years, and in real time. Adding more lenses and complexity to the setup isn't innovation these days (a few years ago it was innovation but not now). It's a natural course to optimise the hardware on hand in line with the power available.

By your definition, everything has been around in some form or another, so its all just evolution, and that is especially true for charging tech. Apple plays it conservatively so when they add faster charging tech, it too is just evolutionary, certainly not spectacular. 

So, yeah, I mostly agree with you, just that I expect that Apple's imaging update will actually be an innovation, in that the A13 will be built for an even higher imaging and  video bandwidth to ingest three streams simultaneously, and still be able to process in realtime. That was exactly what happened at the release of the iPhone 7 plus when Apple revealed realtime bokeh preview, and it will be happening again with the triple lens iPhone. For the record, SOC performance does matter and obviously does have utility, even as you are unable to imagine a world the would want or need it.

Given that Huawei is only just at the point where they can offer 4K 60P, I feel fine in waiting for Apples iPhone release on the 10th, four days after the release of the Kirin 990, as if it will even matter.

I will add that the inclusion of the AMX in the A13 SOC will as well be an innovation, but of course, it can't be if Huawei doesn't have it first, right?

edited August 2019
  • Reply 97 of 112
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

"or payments,"

tmay said:
    kevin kee said:

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    kevin kee said:

By your definition, everything has been around in some form or another, so its all just evolution, and that is especially true for charging tech. Apple plays it conservatively so when they add faster charging tech, it too is just evolutionary, certainly not spectacular. 

So, yeah, I mostly agree with you, just that I expect that Apple's imaging update will actually be an innovation, in that the A13 will be built for an even higher imaging and  video bandwidth to ingest three streams simultaneously, and still be able to process in realtime. That was exactly what happened at the release of the iPhone 7 plus when Apple revealed realtime bokeh preview, and it will be happening again with the triple lens iPhone. For the record, SOC performance does matter and obviously does have utility, even as you are unable to imagine a world the would want or need it.

Given that Huawei is only just at the point where they can offer 4K 60P, I feel fine in waiting for Apples iPhone release on the 10th, four days after the release of the Kirin 990, as if it will even matter.

I will add that the inclusion of the AMX in the A13 SOC will as well be an innovation, but of course, it can't be if Huawei doesn't have it first, right?

Apple plays it conservatively? That's an understatement if ever there was one. 5W! Going any slower would make it 'devolutionary'.

4K 60P is definitely not a priority checkbox. Many, many iOS users cannot even reasonably use it due to space limitations. I doubt people are eager to fill their paid cloud accounts with that size files when the default on iOS isn't even 4K 60P.

Ever wondered how many people actually shoot 4K 60P? It's nice to have but only that, nice (for the very rare times you will use it). Tri-cameras on the other hand have been a big selling point. An order of magnitude larger than 4K 60P. The same applies for photo zoom.

Being first is not the issue. Competing is the issue. Apple is eighteen months behind on the Tri-camera and ten years behind on the battery charging. But for the record Huawei already has 3D Matrix processors on its silicon. The Ascend 910 has 32 of them on chip. The Kirin 990 will probably have some too.
  • Reply 98 of 112
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

"or payments,"

tmay said:
    kevin kee said:

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    kevin kee said:

Apple plays it conservatively? That's an understatement if ever there was one. 5W! Going any slower would make it 'devolutionary'.

4K 60P is definitely not a priority checkbox. Many, many iOS users cannot even reasonably use it due to space limitations. I doubt people are eager to fill their paid cloud accounts with that size files when the default on iOS isn't even 4K 60P.

Ever wondered how many people actually shoot 4K 60P? It's nice to have but only that, nice (for the very rare times you will use it). Tri-cameras on the other hand have been a big selling point. An order of magnitude larger than 4K 60P. The same applies for photo zoom.

Being first is not the issue. Competing is the issue. Apple is eighteen months behind on the Tri-camera and ten years behind on the battery charging. But for the record Huawei already has 3D Matrix processors on its silicon. The Ascend 910 has 32 of them on chip. The Kirin 990 will probably have some too.
    Apple not putting a charger larger than 5W in the box doesn't have anything to do with what the fast charge capacity of the iPhone, which is stated at at least 12 W.

The typical data rate for 4K 60P on an iPhone is about 400 MB per minute, which isn't an issue for user with even 128GB of storage, and yeah, people that do video are out there, and they typically choose the iPhone for that. Sure, Apple was 18 months behind on the triple lens, but it's almost a certainty that Apple will do a better integration of computational imaging with the triple lens than the existing competition, just based on the configuration of the lens array, but of course, we will find out on the 10th.

The Ascend 910 isn't for mobile, which makes it a typically disingenuous statement on your part, and Huawei is hardly known for its AR, which Apple will certainly tailor the AMX and new API's to, and there are absolutely no rumors of a similar processor for the Kirin 990, so no, the Kirin 990 probably won't have a matrix processor.

edited August 2019
  • Reply 99 of 112
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

"or payments,"

tmay said:
    kevin kee said:

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    kevin kee said:

Apple not putting a charger larger than 5W in the box doesn't have anything to do with what the fast charge capacity of the iPhone, which is stated at at least 12 W.

The typical data rate for 4K 60P on an iPhone is about 400 MB per minute, which isn't an issue for user with even 128GB of storage, and yeah, people that do video are out there, and they typically choose the iPhone for that. Sure, Apple was 18 months behind on the triple lens, but it's almost a certainty that Apple will do a better integration of computational imaging with the triple lens than the existing competition, just based on the configuration of the lens array, but of course, we will find out on the 10th.

The Ascend 910 isn't for mobile, which makes it a typically disingenuous statement on your part, and Huawei is hardly known for its AR, which Apple will certainly tailor the AMX and new API's to, and there are absolutely no rumors of a similar processor for the Kirin 990, so no, the Kirin 990 probably won't have a matrix processor.

A 5W charger in the box has everything to do with everything. And 12W isn't what you should expect an ultra premium phone.

At 400MB a minute a 64GB iPhone is going to feel the squeeze sooner rather than later. In fact it was the number one reason a national Spanish newspaper recommended NOT picking up a 64GB unit even if 4K 30P was the objective.

The Ascend 910 is not for mobile but the Ascend line is. Very much so. Ascend Nano is for things like earbuds and from there they scale up (Lite, Tiny, Max) through phones, IoT, cars, servers, data centers ...

My statement was far from disingenuous. In fact Huawei (HiSilicon) is already shipping matrix processors in its mid range phones (Kirin 810).

You paint it as if you are certain that you basically know what Apple will include and are are pretty sure you know what Huawei won't include. Based on what? Rumours? I don't go that far.

I based my comment on shipping products and public domain information.

Da Vinci cores have matrix, scalar and vector processors. Yes, the Ascend 910 has them but so does the Kirin 810.

When HiSilicon speaks of scalability, this is exactly what they mean. The whole thing is designed to scale depending on your needs and resources.

The Kirin 810 is actually outperforming the Kirin 980 in AI performance related tasks.

What makes you think the Kirin 990 won't have them?

The actual 3D matrix processors (Cubes) can be configured in different ways to better optimise things for the tasks at hand. The 32 Cubes in the Ascend 910 are 16x16x16.

edited August 2019
  • Reply 100 of 112
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    Can I be innovative and think outside the box without getting sh** on? Ok thanks.

I'd love to see some surprises:

1. An Apple TV with A13x , screw it it's almost September, an A14 chip capable of PS4 Pro graphics.
    Updated Siri remote with M processor for fitness gaming.
    FaceID type camera system for AR etc.

2, An all new AirPower renamed AirPad which runs cooler.
    Has an internal battery and a detachable cord so you can charge truly wirelessly and take it anywhere.
    Toss in an A8 chip that Apple seems to have many of still. Use the processor for reasons we can't imagine yet.

3. A soundbar with wide array sound like HomePod.
    Sexiest looking soundbar ever.
    The most advanced room  analyzer in the market(like HomePod).
    Capable of 3.1 sound (Left, Right, Center, Sub optional). This way Homepods can pair as rear speakers.
    How does SoundPod sound?

4. Airpods 2. (Not Airpods 1.2 that we got earlier.)
    Health features.
    Longer battery life.
    Wireless charging built into Airpods also.
    Find my airpods with pinging.
    Space Gray.

5. Homepod 2
    and Homepod Nano, the portable version.

6. Apples new tracking device/chip which will be embedded in ALL new devices which can calculate the position of an item within inches. No more lost Airpods. All devices can lock, ping and send messages including AirPods!
    Imagine someone stealing your AirPods only to hear the hottest single of the week say "These airpods have been locked by the owner".
    New tracking chip can be purchased separately for tracking personal belongings. Nevermind, this technology can get smaller and scarier really fast.

All I can think of for now.
    I like your theories though I don't see 1, 3 or 5 showing up at this event, maybe if they have one dedicated to AppleTV+ or similar. I would love a HomePod mini though! I do think you could be onto something with the tracking device/chip though!