"Uh-oh, looks like you're not on Wi-Fi and haven't enabled cellular data in Settings"

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
When I'm driving and ask Siri to play my 'Favorites' playlist, the response I get is, "Uh-oh Steve. Looks like you're not on Wi-Fi and haven't enabled cellular data in Settings."

All the songs in my 'Favorites' playlist are downloaded locally on the phone. I can put it in Airplane mode and play the playlist, so I know that aspect is working.

The problem seems to be with Siri. I know Siri has access to cellular data, as I can ask other questions and get answers.

Under Music settings, the problem might be that while I have cellular data turned off, I have "iCloud Music Library" turned on, which syncs playlist changes, etc. I want that on, as in general, I do want it to sync with iCloud (and my other devices). But, in this case, I just want it to be able to play my playlist... it has nothing it *needs* to sync, and if it's just trying to update play-counts, it can do that at another time.

Anything I can find concerning this on the 'Net seems to have no answer, or answers from people who don't even understand the problem. Siri should be able to kick off a playlist playing or shuffling, just like I can manually do by pulling over and pressing the 'play' or 'shuffle' buttons.

Isn't this the kind of thing that, like, everyone in the world who drives and doesn't have unlimited data would be doing?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    cgWerks said:
    When I'm driving and ask Siri to play my 'Favorites' playlist, the response I get is, "Uh-oh Steve. Looks like you're not on Wi-Fi and haven't enabled cellular data in Settings."

All the songs in my 'Favorites' playlist are downloaded locally on the phone. I can put it in Airplane mode and play the playlist, so I know that aspect is working.

The problem seems to be with Siri. I know Siri has access to cellular data, as I can ask other questions and get answers.

Under Music settings, the problem might be that while I have cellular data turned off, I have "iCloud Music Library" turned on, which syncs playlist changes, etc. I want that on, as in general, I do want it to sync with iCloud (and my other devices). But, in this case, I just want it to be able to play my playlist... it has nothing it *needs* to sync, and if it's just trying to update play-counts, it can do that at another time.

Anything I can find concerning this on the 'Net seems to have no answer, or answers from people who don't even understand the problem. Siri should be able to kick off a playlist playing or shuffling, just like I can manually do by pulling over and pressing the 'play' or 'shuffle' buttons.

Isn't this the kind of thing that, like, everyone in the world who drives and doesn't have unlimited data would be doing?
    Huh. That's a strange one. I'll try to reproduce over the weekend.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I don't think it matters if the songs from  music or iCloud library are DL'd. The device authenticates with  over network all the time. it's a tiny transition of data that can't amount to any worries for usage...
    I have many  music playlists auto synced to my phone and they are fully downloaded but won't start playing without network.
    You can disable cell network for DL'ing songs, apps etc as I do. My device loads all music playlist changes over wifi when available.
     but at times when i have no network it won't start playing until network is available.
    no ticky--no laundry
  • Reply 3 of 12
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Mike Wuerthele said:
    Huh. That's a strange one. I'll try to reproduce over the weekend.
    Thanks Mike. In searching part of that phrase, there are other people seeing the same. It doesn't make a lot of sense though, seeing as I can do what I'm asking Siri to do, so I'm not sure where the hangup is.

I don't think it matters if the songs from  music or iCloud library are DL'd. The device authenticates with  over network all the time. it's a tiny transition of data that can't amount to any worries for usage...
    I have many  music playlists auto synced to my phone and they are fully downloaded but won't start playing without network.
    You can disable cell network for DL'ing songs, apps etc as I do. My device loads all music playlist changes over wifi when available.
     but at times when i have no network it won't start playing until network is available.
    no ticky--no laundry
    Well, I'm not worried about *that* data, but if I flip that setting, it's an all or nothing thing. Then if it plays any music that isn't DL'd, it's going to be using cell data for that. Our Canadian plans aren't yet big enough (data wise) to just open up the settings on that kind of thing. :(

(Note: the other thing you have to watch is that it seems Safari can give YouTube permission, or similar. For example, if you set YouTube to not use cell data, but Safari can and you click a YouTube video, it launches the YouTube app and uses cell data. I ended up turning cell data off for Safari, and installing another browser with cell data on specifically for intended mobil browsing.)

But... as mentioned, I can actually play the playlist, even in Airplane mode if I just manually push play or shuffle. So, while Siri is complaining about network access, that isn't *really* the issue.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Ok then...noy sure if it matters but there are 2 separate settings for cellular data for music. one of them is in Setting/Cellular, scroll to Music and you can turn ON Off the cell network for music. Then in Settings/Music you can turn off cell network for streaming, DLing, updating library and artwork.  If you turn that setting off it should work as you need it to.
    your welcome...
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Ok then...noy sure if it matters but there are 2 separate settings for cellular data for music. one of them is in Setting/Cellular, scroll to Music and you can turn ON Off the cell network for music. Then in Settings/Music you can turn off cell network for streaming, DLing, updating library and artwork.  If you turn that setting off it should work as you need it to.
    your welcome...
    Hmm, I'll have to take a look at that. I thought a lot of these kind of things were just the same setting in two places. I'll have to experiment with that, thanks. But, if one or the other allows either streaming/DL of music, then it probably isn't what I'm looking for.

If the problem has something to do with the Music app calling home to Apple, it shouldn't as I can put the phone in Airplane mode and do it manually. It's just Siri that can't seem to kick off what I can do manually. It's a bug of some kind, I just don't know exactly where/why.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    cgWerks said:
    your welcome...
    Hmm, I'll have to take a look at that. I thought a lot of these kind of things were just the same setting in two places. I'll have to experiment with that, thanks. But, if one or the other allows either streaming/DL of music, then it probably isn't what I'm looking for.

If the problem has something to do with the Music app calling home to Apple, it shouldn't as I can put the phone in Airplane mode and do it manually. It's just Siri that can't seem to kick off what I can do manually. It's a bug of some kind, I just don't know exactly where/why.
    Yeah, ApplePieGuy is right. I was able to reproduce your issue, but the setting he presented prevents it from manifesting.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Mike Wuerthele said:
    Yeah, ApplePieGuy is right. I was able to reproduce your issue, but the setting he presented prevents it from manifesting.
    Hmm, it still isn't working here.
    I now have:
    Settings -> Cellular -> Music = ON
    Settings -> Music -> Cellular Data = ON
    - sub-setting Streaming = OFF
    - sub-setting Downloads = OFF

I still get that same error from Siri.

Again, I can just launch Music, go to my Playlists into the same playlist, and hit either 'Play' or 'Shuffle' and it plays just fine.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    cgWerks said:
    Mike Wuerthele said:
    Hmm, it still isn't working here.
    I now have:
    Settings -> Cellular -> Music = ON
    Settings -> Music -> Cellular Data = ON
    - sub-setting Streaming = OFF
    - sub-setting Downloads = OFF

I still get that same error from Siri.

Again, I can just launch Music, go to my Playlists into the same playlist, and hit either 'Play' or 'Shuffle' and it plays just fine.

• Reply 9 of 12
    Please try this

Goto settings>click music>click cellular data>turn on streaming

• Reply 10 of 12
    Please try this

Thanks, but I don't want it to use data streaming music.

But, I actually figured it out (sorry, I forgot to come back to this thread and update).

The problem ended up being the actual name of the playlist, which must have been reserved or Siri had some issue with. The problem was that the 'error message' Siri was providing was nonsensical as to the actual issue.

I changed the name of the playlist, and now it works as expected.... with the cellular data stuff turned off.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 11 of 12
    cgWerks said:
    Please try this

But, I actually figured it out (sorry, I forgot to come back to this thread and update).

The problem ended up being the actual name of the playlist, which must have been reserved or Siri had some issue with. The problem was that the 'error message' Siri was providing was nonsensical as to the actual issue.

I changed the name of the playlist, and now it works as expected.... with the cellular data stuff turned off.
    cgWerks said:
    zooming080 said:
    Please try this

Nice to know you had the issue solved.

I had a playlist that worked well when I asked seri to play music, not just music on the playlist but any music that Apple can find. (Even when I’m not on WiFi)

The issue arise when I did a “reset all settings”.
    After the reset, when I ask seri ...play “name of song”...by “name of artist” seri replied “

“Looks like you're not on Wi-Fi and haven't enabled cellular data in Settings"

I searched a way to solve until I found this article.
    Tried different things until I tried going to settings>click music>click cellular data>turn on streaming and it worked. (When I am not on WiFi)

I don’t know what the setting was before I did the reset. I guess it was with streaming turned on.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Yeah, that response would make sense if playing it required music that wasn't local on the device, so it would have to stream it. But, in my case, the music was all local (and I could play it manually even in Airplane Mode).

I think that message is just some kind of generic/default error message Siri responds with if it can't play music for some reason. Sometimes, is just happens to be correct. :)