Editorial: Apple has a huge opportunity with its rumored Bluetooth trackers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    I was just telling someone this week that I wish Apple would make some products like these.  It's super useful functionality but with a company that respects privacy.  I'd also like them to do one of those auto diagnostics/GPS trackers you plug into the OBDII port on a car.  Great for new drivers but also for staying on top of engine codes and such when they pop up.  
    The Harman Spark does exactly what you are talking about. The Spark is available from AT&T. It also allows you to add Wi-Fi to the vehicle. Apple should buy the Harman Spark and add their "special sauce" that they use on so many different things that makes things magical.
    bigpicswatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 31
    asdasd said:
    I'd buy that for a dollar. 
    Here's your one buck version.

lollivermwhitebigpicsbigtdsSpamSandwich
  • Reply 23 of 31
    mobird said:
    I was just telling someone this week that I wish Apple would make some products like these.  It's super useful functionality but with a company that respects privacy.  I'd also like them to do one of those auto diagnostics/GPS trackers you plug into the OBDII port on a car.  Great for new drivers but also for staying on top of engine codes and such when they pop up.  
    The Harman Spark does exactly what you are talking about. The Spark is available from AT&T. It also allows you to add Wi-Fi to the vehicle. Apple should buy the Harman Spark and add their "special sauce" that they use on so many different things that makes things magical.
    We've got a device like this already and I think the company's privacy policy is decent.  But I'd feel better with Apple plus it could tie into Find My... better.
    lollivermobirdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 31
    mobird said:
    The Harman Spark is cool.  Apple can't buy it though.  The Spark is a collaboration between Harman (a subsidiary of Samsung) and Tantalum, a company that specializes in automotive software... not the chemical element :) .  https://www.tantalumcorporation.com/  Apple could possibly buy tantalum, but that would get them no closer to owning Spark.
    bigpicsmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 31
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    mobird said:
    Owned by Samsung I believe. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 31
    I would definitely want an official and native support for Find My Apple Watch feature that includes a proximity warning so that one does not leave behind their Apple Watch while carrying their iPhone, and vise versa. They are Bluetooth-connected.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 31
    macxpress said:
    An attachable tag on some devices, like a keyring, makes sense

And when these tags get hacked? Having one on your keyring tells the car thieves exactly where in the house your car keys are located. Just to make make your car so much easier to steal then! Good one Apple.
    There are already car thieves intercepting the signals from your key fob and even going as far as triggering it into life. I put my keys into a metal tin when I'm at home so I don't need one of these but plenty of people just chuck them on a table. If a thief knows where the keys are then they can get in, grab the keys and drive off before you know it.

Do you wear a tinfoil hat everyday too?
    We had a few cars stolen in the neighborhood with exactly this method. Indeed, since then, I also put my keys in a little metal box.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    Apple should build in its Tag/tracking features into all its products ESPECIALLY AirPods which are small and expensive and easily lost.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Article mentions that the 'Apple Tag' would sound an alarm wen left behind? How would you hear that alarm from, say, thirty feet away (bluetooth max range?) if that 'tag' was locked inside an automobile with the windows up.

I suppose it would not be hard to have the option to have an alarm that sounds on the device your are carrying as well.  So if you walk away without your keys (or your AirPods or whatever) once you exceed the specified range not only does the tag beep but so does your phone with a banner that says "Tag out of range" or some such.
    THEN you could use AR to find it or go in without if you so choose...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 31
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    Have had Tile products for years and they just now have come around to replaceable batteries. Bet Apple's are sealed shut.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    So what does Tile do? Sends out little reminders with gifts attached to the press asking them to remember who they are...

And now today have announced they want to make friends with Google. Well of course they do. LOL