Apple again reportedly planning a new, but larger 'iPhone SE 2'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2020
This time around, sources are claiming that Apple will release an iPhone SE successor in spring 2020, but it won't be the same size as the 4-inch original.

The original iPhone SE
The original iPhone SE

Apple may be planning to release a new iPhone this Spring, between its regular September launches. Apple is often reported to be releasing a new iPhone SE and this report again claims that it is returning.

According to the Nikkei Asian Review, three unnamed sources have said that the new device will be similar in form to the 2017 iPhone 8. Internally, it will have most of the same components of 2019's flagship iPhones, but will feature a lower-cost LCD display.

It's claimed that releasing such a phone in the Spring could help bolster Apple's iPhone sales after the holiday surge in sales has concluded. But, at its peak, the iPhone SE didn't raise sales volumes by more than single-digit percentages. Theoretically, it could be intended as a device to get Apple's Services business in front of more users at a lower hardware entry price.

Apple is still producing the iPhone 8 in India with the rumored screen size, albeit not the 2019 flagship level of performance.

The Nikkei Asian Review is a good source of information from Apple's supply chain. It is not a reliable indicator of Apple's specific product plans, or feature implementations.

Separately, Nikkei Asian Review also reports that Apple has increased its rate of production of its 2019 iPhone models. This fits with Foxconn's latest recruiting of staff, However, the publication also says that Apple is aiming to produce 10% fewer iPhones this year than last.

The new 2019 iPhone line is expected to be announced at the forthcoming September 10 Apple event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    That describes the iPhone XR pretty much. AN SE is supposed to satisfy the people that want a small screen and form factor. 
    caladanianbaconstangairnerdcgWerksleftoverbaconberndogmichaelahlerstyler821983
  • Reply 2 of 46
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    I hope it happens. Smaller form factor for those who prefer it together with being truly new and with an attractive price point. 

Releasing outside the typical Christmas oriented cycle also makes good sense.

There are risks associated but sometimes you have to take them.

Downsides would be that if it doesn't have dual cameras the sale will be much harder. The same applies to fast charging.
    JWSCapplesnoranges
  • Reply 3 of 46
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    When did Apple give up on slim? Surely after 5 years they could shave a cubic mm or ten from the iPhone 5s for a new SE.

still Xr minus smaller than an X might be worthy option give the 5s is being dropped from software support 
  • Reply 4 of 46
    For many, SIZE is the reason we hold on to the SE.
    Give it the "X" treatment (more screen) and it will do well.
    airnerdGeorgeBMaccornchipJWSCbonobobcgWerksleftoverbaconmattinozdesignrtyler82
  • Reply 5 of 46
    I'll believe this when I see it, but really hoping for it.  make it a smaller form factor with edge to edge screen and an A11 to make it relevant for 5 years and you have a great product to sell.  The biggest US base would be teens and home automation.  
    cornchipJWSCcincyteeleftoverbacondesignr
  • Reply 6 of 46
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I'm not going to wait. I love my SE. I got it just after it was introduced and love the form factor, love how it fits in my jeans pocket. Love most everything about it. But I'm not going to wait. When I update I want to Future Proof as much as I can. If I'm going to get a new phone and have a choice between 2017 guts or 2019, I'll take the latter ones. The 8 is a nice phone, but it's not current. I don't buy a phone often, but when I do, I want the best I can afford at the time.
    baconstangcgWerkslolliver
  • Reply 7 of 46
    This could become a serious, major product for Apple if a full sized, no-bezel screen is used in the smaller 4" case.   That would give people wanting a smaller external form factor what they want with an iPhone 6 sized screen.   It could be the perfect blend for many people.

Plus, Apple right now has a huge hole in its iPhone line because it only offers large but moderately priced iPhones.   To get a "normal" sized phone you have to go to the premium / pro Xs  which many can't or do not want to afford.   A consumer priced smaller phone would be ideal.
    cornchipJWSCmuthuk_vanalingamcincyteeleftoverbacon
  • Reply 8 of 46
    This is what killed the Ford Thunderbird.  Moronic compulsion to add size and tonnage every year.  I’ll hold on to my SE and hope there’s another one, same size, when it dies.  
    cornchip80s_Apple_GuycgWerkstyler82baconstang
  • Reply 9 of 46
    I would drop my bulky iPhone XS in a heartbeat if this came out. I drowned my iPhone SE in an unfortunate incident while on vacation in Cuba. Was forced to upgrade as soon as I arrived home. I hate the damn balancing act I have to perform every time I want to touch any top corner of my screen. Feels so sloppy.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    It could be the perfect blend for many people.

I know it’d be perfect for me. I’d be giving my wife my SE & getting whatever they call this unicorn phone to replace her 5s.

edited September 2019 leftoverbacon
  • Reply 11 of 46
    Glad they really listened to their customers and are making a larger SE
  • Reply 12 of 46
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Apple gets it but some people don't get it. The days of small screen size phone like 4" are long gone. So called SE2 will be smaller screen than current 5.5"+ iphones but nothing like SE iPhone.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 13 of 46
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    wood1208 said:
    Apple gets it but some people don't get it. The days of small screen size phone like 4" are long gone. So called SE2 will be smaller screen than current 5.5"+ iphones but nothing like SE iPhone.
    That's like saying roadsters are long gone... the smallest car that's needed to be built is a crossover SUV :neutral: 
    JWSCcincyteeGeorgeBMaccgWerksleftoverbaconbaconstang
  • Reply 14 of 46
    For many, SIZE is the reason we hold on to the SE.
    Give it the "X" treatment (more screen) and it will do well.
    Same… but that's not what this rumor is suggesting at all. 

The SE, as we all know, just updated the internals of the 5 series to then-modern components. It sounds like they're going to do that to the 8 now. 

No bueno.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    aknabi said:
    wood1208 said:
    That's like saying roadsters are long gone... the smallest car that's needed to be built is a crossover SUV :neutral: 
    Market determines what Apple can or can not do. This so called upcoming iPhone 8 frame size fits well into 2020 iPhone lineup with edge-to-edge screen,desirable smaller than rest and better price point. Looks like winner for those iPhone users with liking for smaller foot print and value in mind. Big question is how Apple will achieve in iPhone 8 frame edge-to-edge screen with touch ID, without FaceID ?

• Reply 16 of 46
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    aknabi said:
    wood1208 said:
    But that is exactly what the automobile market is telling manufacturers. Smart is exiting the U.S. market. Fiat is ceasing production of the 500. Sedans are being phased out by all of the big automobile makers. Fans of a certain type of design always assume there are millions of other that think the same. It’s no longer feasible or profitable for automobile makers to produce vehicles for a minority market. That’s why the crossover SUV and pickup truck are dominating the market these days. Same goes for the smaller  iPhone SE crowd that is very vocal here. Apple has no incentive to satisfy your craving. Why should they? But hey, blather on brother.
    michaelahlersStrangeDayslolliver
  • Reply 17 of 46
    lkrupp said:
    aknabi said:
    wood1208 said:
    Apple has no incentive to satisfy your craving. Why should they? But hey, blather on brother.
    It's not blather, it's a Whovian declaration that "we are here." You're right that it doesn't mean there are enough Whos in Whoville to justify a specific product from Apple, but that doesn't invalidate the preference for a smaller form.
    bonobobcgWerksleftoverbaconberndogmichaelahlersbaconstang
  • Reply 18 of 46
    I know so many people who bought a SE (and still use it) because it is small. Apple should seriously consider a phone without a front camera that is even smaller than the SE but all screen.
    cgWerksberndogmichaelahlersbaconstang
  • Reply 19 of 46
    I know so many people who bought a SE (and still use it) because it is small. Apple should seriously consider a phone without a front camera that is even smaller than the SE but all screen.
    Without a selfie camera? That too in 2019? Seriously? If you meant pop-up selfie camera like few Android phones, then Yes. No selfie camera in a 2019 "smart"phone - DoA.
  • Reply 20 of 46
    That describes the iPhone XR pretty much. AN SE is supposed to satisfy the people that want a small screen and form factor. 
    iPhone XR is iPhone 11. That new SE is an iPhone 8 on steroids.