Apple previews Marunouchi store in Tokyo ahead of Saturday opening

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2019
Apple on Wednesday offered an early look at its soon-to-open retail outlet in the Marunouchi district of Tokyo, showing off next-generation styling and the use of natural materials at what will be the company's largest brick-and-mortar store in Japan.

Apple Marunouchi

Located across from the bustling Tokyo Station, Apple Marunouchi opens on Saturday, Sept. 7, as the tech giant's fifth store in Tokyo, and the third location to open in the country since April.

"The opening of Apple Marunouchi marks a significant moment in Apple's long relationship with Japan," said Apple retail chief Deirdre O'Brien. "Marunouchi has amazing energy and our teams can't wait to welcome customers to our largest store in Japan for the first time on Saturday."

Like other recent Apple store openings, the Marunouchi outlet boasts unique architectural details like wide-open spaces, ample room for product display furniture and a large central television screen for Today at Apple presentations.

Apple points out first-of-their-kind vitrine windows that span the store's two floors. Cast from aluminum, the installations boast three-dimensional round corners that jut out beyond the store's stone facade. The design allows outside street life to "connect with the store," Apple says. Adding to the effect are rows of bamboo planted inside at the base of each window.

A large double-height atrium acts as the heart of the store by connecting both floors in a single vertical space. The outlet's massive screen sits in the middle of the atrium, where customers will gather and sit on Apple's trademark wooden stools and leather balls while attending Today at Apple sessions.

Apple has invited The Tokyo Creative Guild to present a special 12-part Today at Apple series to mark the store's opening.

Apple Marunouchi is staffed by the usual assortment of sales professionals, Genius employees, and Creative Pros ready to assist in product sales and aftermarket services. According to Apple, more than half of the store's 130 workers come from Apple stores in Japan, and staff members collectively speak 15 languages.

Elsewhere in Tokyo, Apple is finishing up a remodel of its Omotesando store, which is scheduled to open later this month. Apple in September will also relocate its store in Fukuoka to a larger location.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    Does Apple still give away t-shirts/swag on store openings? I’ll be in Tokyo on Saturday and if they’re going to be giving stuff a way I’ll squeeze this in in the morning.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    payeco said:
    Does Apple still give away t-shirts/swag on store openings? I’ll be in Tokyo on Saturday and if they’re going to be giving stuff a way I’ll squeeze this in in the morning.
    There was swag at the last opening in Asia, but be really early: "Apple’s second official retail store in Singapore and first airport store in the world, Apple Jewel Changi Airport, open its door today, 13th July 2019 at 10 am. The store opening hours are from 10 am to 10 pm daily. "If you are the first few in the queue, you will be given a commemorative Apple t-shirt that is made in the USA. "The front of the t-shirt bears the words “Jewel Changi Airport” while the back says “Designed by Apple in California”. See: https://lesterchan.net/blog/2019/07/13/apple-jewel-changi-airport-opening-swag/ Otherwise, there's only Apple Park or WWDC.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    steveau said:
    payeco said:
    There was swag at the last opening in Asia, but be really early: "Apple’s second official retail store in Singapore and first airport store in the world, Apple Jewel Changi Airport, open its door today, 13th July 2019 at 10 am. The store opening hours are from 10 am to 10 pm daily. "If you are the first few in the queue, you will be given a commemorative Apple t-shirt that is made in the USA. "The front of the t-shirt bears the words “Jewel Changi Airport” while the back says “Designed by Apple in California”. See: https://lesterchan.net/blog/2019/07/13/apple-jewel-changi-airport-opening-swag/ Otherwise, there's only Apple Park or WWDC.
    Thanks for the heads up. I’ll pick a breakfast spot in the area so I can line up early.
    steveau
  • Reply 4 of 6
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Love the bamboo at the windows.

Hey, what about a word on who the architect/designer is????  I thought Apple people cared about design.  If so, how 'bout giving some credit?
    steveau
  • Reply 5 of 6
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Does anyone else see those windows as huge, nearly bezel-less iPhones mounted on the outside of the store?  It's the rounded rect corners.  The windows into the store are like live images on their screens.

• Reply 6 of 6
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    blah64 said:
    Does anyone else see those windows as huge, nearly bezel-less iPhones mounted on the outside of the store?  It's the rounded rect corners.  The windows into the store are like live images on their screens.

Now that you mention it, they do look like a series of iPhones! I wonder if the window glass is OLED. (ha ha)